TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Go Not Jersey!

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 12:05 AM   #602
kingfc22
Head Coach

Guerin just took a slapshot in the face. He probably just lost all his teeth there.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:21 AM   #603
bhlloy
Coordinator

How the hell can you let a guy walk in two on one with 30 seconds left in a one goal game?

Nabakov has to make that save but still.... the guys on the ice at the time will be getting chewed out for hours if the Sharks end up losing.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 12:22 AM   #604
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
the guys on the ice at the time will be getting chewed out for hours if the Sharks end up losing.

Start the ass chewing...
Old 05-03-2007, 02:03 AM   #605
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i felt sick watching the devils all game long.

this isnt the same team id been watching all season. they were terrible for too long at the start of the game. over a whole period. they just didnt want it.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 07:18 AM   #606
canadiancreed
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post

this isnt the same team id been watching all season. they were terrible for too long at the start of the game. over a whole period. they just didnt want it.

YOu say that like it's a bad thing
canadiancreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 07:23 AM   #607
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post

Good thing Lou hired .. Lou.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 07:29 AM   #608
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancreed View Post
YOu say that like it's a bad thing

Allow a Ranger fan to chime in for a minute...

I think there should be a board rule that a n00b has to be part of this community during the regular season in order to contribute to a playoff thread. None of this "Johnny Come Lately" bullshit.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 08:15 AM   #609
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Wow. A hell of a come back by the Wings last night. A late goal in the second period and the Lang ties it up with 20 seconds to go. Right before he scored I was completely baffled as to why he was on the ice at that crucial time. He's been horrible this series. Non-existant. Then he scores. All very odd.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 09:56 AM   #610
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Wow. A hell of a come back by the Wings last night. A late goal in the second period and the Lang ties it up with 20 seconds to go. Right before he scored I was completely baffled as to why he was on the ice at that crucial time. He's been horrible this series. Non-existant. Then he scores. All very odd.

lang had a couple good looks in the late 2nd/early 3rd period.

What was up with Zetterberg's passing mistakes?! I counted 3 in the neutral zone.

Draper has been getting penalties at the worst possible times. Last night he got one late. Last game he got one late that they scored on.

Holmstrom looked good, really good. As they said in the game, it looked like his hand-eye coordination wasn't affected by his injury. Any idea what he went off for later? Hope he isn't hurt.

I saw Bertuzzi try a backhand spin SOG. If I were Babcock, I would get in his face and tell him to stop trying to be a player he isn't.

I like game 5s coming off a 2-2 tie. They are almost as fun as game 7s. Tie breakers after a 2-all can really deflate the other team. I'm excited.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 11:23 AM   #611
Hurst2112
College Starter

Patrick Marleau stats for the series.

Code:
Game G A P +/- PIM PPG SHG Sh Sh % Shft TOI FO% 4 0 0 0 -1 0 0 0 2 0.0 28 23:20 33.3 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 4 0.0 22 18:12 50.0 2 0 0 0 -3 2 0 0 0 22 17:57 21.4 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 23 17:32 75.0
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 12:14 PM   #612
Pyser
Pro Rookie

elias badly damaged his captaincy last night. he played a HORRENDOUS game.

start with multiple turnovers in the first period...add in passing up a wide open shot in the slot...and then just look at the teams play in general. i havent seen him step up at all all season.

and sure, he assisted gionta's first goal, but that was on an odd bounce from the boards, not a designed play.

i stand by my decision that at this point he is too "fancy" a player for the devils system. and if i watch him rush the zone, only to pull up 2 feet over the blue line, try and deke, and lose the puck one more time, ill....complain some more.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:23 PM   #613
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Devils are done.

It's been a funny series... normally the Devils are the one team that you always expect to win a close game. Even when they're down a goal you just assume they'll end up winning. But this series, even though it's been close since the second period of game one, you always feel like Ottawa is in control and the Devils are hoping for a lucky bounce.

I can see them winning game five at home, but they're finished in six at the best.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:24 PM   #614
Milton
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

I think there should be a board rule that a n00b has to be part of this community during the regular season in order to contribute to a playoff thread. None of this "Johnny Come Lately" bullshit.

But of course you make an exception for Ranger fans .
Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 12:25 PM   #615
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

They do need to retool some things in Jersey. That team just lacks the firepower that we're used to. It's all right though and Marty isn't playing that great, but no one else is stepping up either and Ottawa consistently has their number.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 12:37 PM   #616
Pyser
Pro Rookie

where do you retool though? if gomez comes back, our top 6 forwards are set, and they are excellent at that - best O we've had in years.

i think its time to retool the 4th line. buff and ott have proven that adding a 3rd scoring line is huge come playoff time. clarkson is a good start there. need to call up another kid or 2, and let the "crash" line era become a bygone.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:55 PM   #617
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

This is last year's playoffs all over again for New Jersey. First, you had the dominating opening round. There wasn't much difference between this year's series with Tampa and last year's with New York. The only reason Tampa was competitive was that they actually tried. The Rangers didn't even bother last year.

Anyway, now you have the second round where the Devils are constantly thisclose to winning, but they can't get it done except for one game. Didn't that happen last year against the Hurricanes, too? Each night, the Devils play the kind of game that you expect them to pull out in the end, and they haven't done it. Brodeur looks like a great goalie instead of a legend. Now, most teams would love to have a great goalie, but we're into the final 8 teams. Generally, every remaining team at this point should have a great goalie, so just being "great" isn't enough right now.

Brian Engblom made a good point last night. Scott Gomez was skating through all of the Tampa players in the first round, and he set up a lot of plays. The Senators are not allowing Gomez the same luxury. He's not going to get very far past the blue line by himself. Elias seems to have the turnover bug lately, so Gomez should be looking for Gionta ASAP. If that doesn't work, hold up for your defensemen and let them join the play. The Ottawa defense isn't really attacking the puck handlers until they're 15 or 20 feet past the blue line, and they're not attacking along the wings until the puck gets past the faceoff dots. The Senators are giving the Devils time to set up an offense, and New Jersey just won't do it. After four games, shouldn't the coaches do something about this?
Old 05-03-2007, 01:28 PM   #618
canadiancreed
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Good thing Lou hired .. Lou.

Yes. Having Julien(sp?) here in the playoofs would have been a horrible mistake. He really should jsut stick with the coach until the off-season, instead of pulling a Ted Turner with the Braves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

Being Canadian doesn't count at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
But of course you make an exception for Ranger fans .

Last edited by canadiancreed : 05-03-2007 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:57 PM   #619
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

You know, Lou Lamoriello is a hell of a general manager, and he did a great job coaching the Devils to the division title last year. I may have mentioned this in the regular season thread, but I'm just concerned that he likes the glory and the rush of being behind the bench during the playoffs. The problem is that it looks like he doesn't want to put the time in for all 82 games leading up to that point. So, he brings a coach in who will get the team to the playoffs, and then Lou can fire the coach and take all the credit if the team wins the Cup. Being the GM, it's a win-win situation for him, because even if the Devils lose, he can just hire another coach and keep his own day job.

Now, I would hope that Lou isn't that shady. He was right that the Devils weren't playoff ready at the time he fired Julien. If he wanted to fire Julien, though, let John MacLean be the replacement. You know MacLean's going to get a head coaching job somewhere in the NHL within the next few years, and it might just be in New Jersey anyway. If you don't want to commit to letting MacLean coach next year, put an "interim" label on him, and just let him be the assistant again next year if it doesn't pan out.

Really, after last year and now this year, I don't see what Lou really brings to the team as a head coach. I think he should realize that he is probably not capable of winning a Cup from behind the bench and just let it go.

Last edited by Pumpy Tudors : 05-03-2007 at 01:57 PM.
Pumpy Tudors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 02:25 PM   #620
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

{rubs hands together}

That's right, Devils fans... let it out. Let the anti-Lou bandwagon start rolling. Don't hold back. Drive him out of town. Make it so that he has no choice but to look for a job in another city. Maybe a big market somewhere that needs a grown up as GM...

{lightning and thunder}
Old 05-03-2007, 02:28 PM   #621
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
{rubs hands together}

That's right, Devils fans... let it out. Let the anti-Lou bandwagon start rolling. Don't hold back. Drive him out of town. Make it so that he has no choice but to look for a job in another city. Maybe a big market somewhere that needs a grown up as GM...

{lightning and thunder}
Yep, I know there are folks like you out there. Whenever I say something bad about Lou, I make absolutely sure to qualify it and explain that I'm talking about Coach Lou, not GM Lou. You're not gonna pin this rap on me, copper!
Old 05-03-2007, 02:28 PM   #622
canadiancreed
n00b

Quote:
{rubs hands together}

{lightning and thunder}

But Ottawa and Montreal already have long-term commitments to Gm's so you can't have them get near the playoffs, have the manager fired, then have them kicked out in the second round.

Although for the Leafs, that would be an improvement over the current situation.

On a serious note the fun that Mike Keenan's reign in the league should have taught us; coaching and GM'ing should be seperate. The man has proven that he can build a good team ( ), stick with what your'e good at Lou.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:42 PM   #623
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
But Ottawa and Montreal already have long-term commitments to Gm's so you can't have them get near the playoffs, have the manager fired, then have them kicked out in the second round.

Although for the Leafs, that would be an improvement over the current situation.
And what makes you think that Maple Leafs was talking about Toronto? Clearly, he was talking about Chicago.

Clearly.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:43 PM   #624
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
You know, Lou Lamoriello is a hell of a general manager, and he did a great job coaching the Devils to the division title last year. I may have mentioned this in the regular season thread, but I'm just concerned that he likes the glory and the rush of being behind the bench during the playoffs. The problem is that it looks like he doesn't want to put the time in for all 82 games leading up to that point. So, he brings a coach in who will get the team to the playoffs, and then Lou can fire the coach and take all the credit if the team wins the Cup. Being the GM, it's a win-win situation for him, because even if the Devils lose, he can just hire another coach and keep his own day job.

Now, I would hope that Lou isn't that shady. He was right that the Devils weren't playoff ready at the time he fired Julien. If he wanted to fire Julien, though, let John MacLean be the replacement. You know MacLean's going to get a head coaching job somewhere in the NHL within the next few years, and it might just be in New Jersey anyway. If you don't want to commit to letting MacLean coach next year, put an "interim" label on him, and just let him be the assistant again next year if it doesn't pan out.

Really, after last year and now this year, I don't see what Lou really brings to the team as a head coach. I think he should realize that he is probably not capable of winning a Cup from behind the bench and just let it go.

Agreed 100%
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 03:18 PM   #625
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
But Ottawa and Montreal already have long-term commitments to Gm's
Well, Muckler is like 90 years old. It's technically impossible to have a long-term commitment to him.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:04 PM   #626
canadiancreed
n00b

Quote:
Well, Muckler is like 90 years old. It's technically impossible to have a long-term commitment to him.

Not that I'd really be crying over that. After all, he did keep Redden around (although Chara wasn't much better this year from what I've heard from the few Bruin fans that I know)
Old 05-03-2007, 04:45 PM   #627
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Not that I'd really be crying over that. After all, he did keep Redden around (although Chara wasn't much better this year from what I've heard from the few Bruin fans that I know)
Muckler has actually been a terrible GM for Ottawa. Other than the Heatley/Hossa deal falling into his lap, he hasn't made a single move that worked out. When you're biggest success story in five years is using all your remaining cap space on Mike Comrie and then seeing him take two months to work his way off the fourth line... wow.

Ottawa should have three Cups by now, but they don't largely because Muckler has been hopeless. Of course, Melnyk likes hanging around a guy he watched on TV in the 80s so Muckler's job is safe. But the core of that team was built by the guys who came before Muckler, they're winning in spite of him.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:13 PM   #628
canadiancreed
n00b

Quote:
Muckler has actually been a terrible GM for Ottawa. Other than the Heatley/Hossa deal falling into his lap, he hasn't made a single move that worked out. When you're biggest success story in five years is using all your remaining cap space on Mike Comrie and then seeing him take two months to work his way off the fourth line... wow.

Ottawa should have three Cups by now, but they don't largely because Muckler has been hopeless. Of course, Melnyk likes hanging around a guy he watched on TV in the 80s so Muckler's job is safe. But the core of that team was built by the guys who came before Muckler, they're winning in spite of him.

You wont' get a big arguement here. The fact that we finished fourth this year has to me yellow flags going. I dont think we'll get back to the upper echelon of the league again for a while barring changes which I doubt will ever happen with this group.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:44 PM   #629
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Wow, Luongo lets in a goal because he is calling for a penalty.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 11:49 PM   #630
bhlloy
Coordinator

Luongo with one of the best goaltending performances I have ever seen, and then he lets a dump in from the blue line go in for a goal while he is talking to the ref about a penalty.

That sucks for him, but Luongo has always had a reputation for crying to the refs. We will definitely take it, I thought there was no way through for sure tonight.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:08 AM   #631
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Being out east, I didn't stay up long enough to see the end of the Anaheim-Vancouver game. I just saw the last goal in highlights, though, and that's just horrible stuff by Luongo. He had such a great season, and from what I can gather, he's been terrific in the playoffs, too. Why the hell is he trying to play backseat referee when the puck is still in his zone? He shouldn't really be yapping to the refs during play at all, but it's overtime in an elimination game. If there's any time at all to be 100% focused on stopping the puck, that's it. If an NHL goalie can't handle that, he's got a serious problem.

Now, I'm not saying that the Canucks should dump Luongo or anything. That's absurd. Still, this one incident should be enough to make any Vancouver fan cringe in the playoffs. How in the world can you feel comfortable with a goalie who loses concentration in a situation like that? He didn't make a technical mistake, he didn't make a bad read, he didn't misplay the puck. Those are things that, like it or not, "just happen" sometimes. He lost focus, and that's the #1 thing a goalie needs. If a goalie is not focused on stopping the puck for all 60+ minutes that he's on the ice, nothing else matters.

I feel bad for Roberto Luongo, because he kept Vancouver in the game. Unfortunately, at the end of the day, he's the one who ended up letting the team down. For his sake, I guess it's good that it wasn't a game seven. That's the kind of thing that he'd probably never live down.

Last edited by Pumpy Tudors : 05-04-2007 at 09:08 AM.
Pumpy Tudors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 10:21 AM   #632
bbor
Pro Starter

Not a fan of either of these teams just a spectator.....but jeez that was a penalty......Nierdermeyers elbow almost took off Hanssons head.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 10:29 AM   #633
canadiancreed
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW View Post
Wow, Luongo lets in a goal because he is calling for a penalty.

Guh!

Guess I'm rooting for San Jose in the West now.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:34 AM   #634
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
How can this be? Detroit is (geographically) much closer to Canada than San Jose is.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:42 AM   #635
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
Not a fan of either of these teams just a spectator.....but jeez that was a penalty......Nierdermeyers elbow almost took off Hanssons head.

We must have very different ideas of where an elbow is then... the contact was clearly shoulder and the elbow came through afterwards. I don't think the elbow ever touched Hansen. I haven't heard anyone from Vancouver complain about it since either. If you take that hit out of hockey, might as well stop playing hockey.

Actually, just read a quote where Alain Vigneault said it was clearly not a penalty. So I think that pretty much settles it.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:59 AM   #636
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Guh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
How can this be? Detroit is (geographically) much closer to Canada than San Jose is.

Not to mention, they're the Red Wings. The beloved Red Wings. How anyone (not from St. Louis or Colorado) not love the Wings is inconceivable to me.

Look at how they've battled back in this series! They have heart and grit and even a bit of pluckiness.

The Sharks? San Jose? They were teal uniforms for god sakes! TEAL!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 11:03 AM   #637
MikeVic
Head Coach

I'm rooting for San Jose becasue I have money on them.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 11:29 AM   #638
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Believe me, Luongo is about as focused as they get. But that was a huge mistake. I believe he will have learned this one and we won't see that nonsense again.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 11:36 AM   #639
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

What was the deal with Luongo missing the first 3 minutes of the OT? His backup got peppered and they almost lost the game right there. I didn't hear anything definitive.

I haven't seen the goal, but that's a crappy way to lose. I still can't believe a struggling franchise like Florida went out of its way to alienate the guy, then traded him for nothing. Just ridiculous.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 12:01 PM   #640
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
What was the deal with Luongo missing the first 3 minutes of the OT? His backup got peppered and they almost lost the game right there. I didn't hear anything definitive.
Official story: equipment malfunction.

Our theory: diarreha.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 05-04-2007 at 12:01 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 12:28 PM   #641
bbor
Pro Starter

He had poopy pants.Sabourin did fantastic while Luogo was out though.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:23 PM   #642
bbor
Pro Starter

Marek Malik is fuckin terrible.

That is all.

Old 05-04-2007, 08:31 PM   #643
Travis
Pro Rookie

Hey Pierre, it was an icing, Jagr kind of HAS to go back out there, yeesh.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 08:33 PM   #644
bbor
Pro Starter

Wow

Old 05-04-2007, 08:38 PM   #645
General Mike
Pro Starter

goddamn Rangers.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 08:40 PM   #646
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Ha, great call, totally missed that.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:59 PM   #647
RendeR
Coordinator

MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX!!!!!!!!

Damn that was an amazing finish to a hockey game.

I almost pissed myself when Drury got the game winner. I'd been waiting to use the bathroom till the game ended and he scores with 7 seconds left..I almost lost control =)

LETS GO SABRES!
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 09:00 PM   #648
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Well, I still think the Sabres are losing to Ottawa in round three, but wow... what a great win. Full credit to Buffalo, if they win a Cup we'll look back on this one as a turning point.

Interesting (depressing?) stat: The Sens/Devils game one was over a week ago. It was also the last time an NHL team scored more than three goals in a game.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:00 PM   #649
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post

Actually i think that because a timeout was called the Ranger could have made a change.

Old 05-04-2007, 09:00 PM   #650
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX!!!!!!!!
Maxday? Maxday?