Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-31-2006, 03:19 PM   #601
Butter
Coordinator

Getting kind of annoyed by the hard-on that Krivsky seems to have for former Twins. Hatteberg has been a hit, but Joe Mays was awful, and giving up Ward who was tearing up A ball for Kyle Lohse, who looks like shit right now, is not a great idea. The Reds have Mike Burns in AAA who has a sub-1 ERA... he deserves another shot over Lohse right now.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:21 PM   #602
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold
Maddux dealt to Dodgers for Caesar Izturis.

If that's all it was, I think I'm okay with that, considering the way LA treated Izturis this year.

Signed Furcal to a long-term, expensive deal to take his position (whatever happened to 'you don't lose your job to injury'?), moved him to third when Mueller got hurt and then traded for Wilson Betemit, and moved him to second - where he'd have been benched as soon as Kent was healthy.

If Maddux still has anything in the tank, then at least we got something for Izturis if we were just going to throw him away.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 03:22 PM   #603
JS19
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
Wow... that's an, well, interesting deal.

I actually find it amusing that the Dodgers are even still trying to win.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 03:23 PM   #604
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Dodgers got Lugo from the Rays for 2 minor league players per ESPN
Old 07-31-2006, 03:25 PM   #605
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat729
Dodgers got Lugo from the Rays for 2 minor league players per ESPN

They did what now?

How many infielders does Colletti think we need, anyway?
Old 07-31-2006, 03:27 PM   #606
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69
Getting kind of annoyed by the hard-on that Krivsky seems to have for former Twins. Hatteberg has been a hit, but Joe Mays was awful, and giving up Ward who was tearing up A ball for Kyle Lohse, who looks like shit right now, is not a great idea. The Reds have Mike Burns in AAA who has a sub-1 ERA... he deserves another shot over Lohse right now.

Don't forget Guardado who has been very good since coming over(But I wonder how long it can last when the NL has a chance to adjust)

Yeah I don't like Ward being traded since from what I understand he was a heavy groundball pitcher and that could really be good in the GAB
Old 07-31-2006, 03:27 PM   #607
SackAttack
Head Coach

Joel Guzman and Sergio Pedroia to get Lugo. I'm a little mystified as to why we'd give up one of our top prospects in that trade.

Although in Lugo's defense, he's got more HR this year than J.D. Drew, and making about 1/3 as much...
Old 07-31-2006, 04:04 PM   #608
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ezarik
Yeah, I don't understand this. So Shelton hasn't been tearing it up the past few months, but replacing him with Casey? A guy who has no power, has no mobility, and is injured most of the time?

If you take out Sheltons April he's hitting .250 with like 6 HR and 20 RBI.

Shelton will get time to go to Toledo, get AB to work himself out and then come up in September.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 04:07 PM   #609
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Good lord - are the Cubs TRYING to put a middle infield together that can't hit?

Last edited by Toddzilla : 07-31-2006 at 04:07 PM.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 04:51 PM   #610
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Maddux to the Dodgers makes me quite happy, never mind whether the deal actually does them any significant good.

My favorite player of my lifetime playing for them is the next best thing to having him play in Atlanta.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:01 PM   #611
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19
I actually find it amusing that the Dodgers are even still trying to win.

NL West is very weak.

Always a chance.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 05:24 PM   #612
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Maddux to the Dodgers makes me quite happy, never mind whether the deal actually does them any significant good.

My favorite player of my lifetime playing for them is the next best thing to having him play in Atlanta.

But what makes you happier? Maddux to the Dodgers, or Jorge Sosa the hell out of Atlanta?
Old 07-31-2006, 05:54 PM   #613
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
But what makes you happier? Maddux to the Dodgers, or Jorge Sosa the hell out of Atlanta?

Not even close, Maddux to the Dodgers.

I had a tough time with him leaving Atlanta, as it meant there really wasn't anyone here that I hardcore rooted for do to well specifically. I mean, there are a few players on the Braves roster that I find reasonably likeable, but no one left that I'm individually a fan of.

So seeing my favorite player wear the best looking uniform in all of baseball is a genuine treat.

Sosa's departure on the other hand ... eh, it means I won't have to suffer through watching his feeble attempts at pitching anymore but it ain't like it's going to make matters all that much better either, as they'll just run out some other fucker who can't get anybody out.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-31-2006 at 05:56 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 06:32 PM   #614
Buccaneer
Head Coach

The Pads got a good hitting improvement at 3B with Todd Walker from the Cubs. Hopefully he won't be too much of a liability with his glove on a good defensive team.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 06:39 PM   #615
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Not even close, Maddux to the Dodgers.

I had a tough time with him leaving Atlanta, as it meant there really wasn't anyone here that I hardcore rooted for do to well specifically. I mean, there are a few players on the Braves roster that I find reasonably likeable, but no one left that I'm individually a fan of.

So seeing my favorite player wear the best looking uniform in all of baseball is a genuine treat.

I'm really hoping for his sake and the team's that Dodger Stadium's reputation comes into play here.

Quote:
Sosa's departure on the other hand ... eh, it means I won't have to suffer through watching his feeble attempts at pitching anymore but it ain't like it's going to make matters all that much better either, as they'll just run out some other fucker who can't get anybody out.

Now, come on. you know that's not true.

They would have gone and gotten Armando Benitez from the Giants if it were!
Old 07-31-2006, 09:02 PM   #616
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp.../0801sosa.html

A deal that was made:
Atlanta made only a minor trade Monday, sending pitcher Jorge Sosa to the St. Louis Cardinals in exchange for minor league right-hander Rich Scalamandre, who will be assigned to Class AAA Richmond.

And a deal that wasn't made:
The Braves were never close to trading Andruw Jones to the Boston Red Sox on Monday, despite rumors that circulated before the 4 p.m. trade deadline. Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein did make a call to Braves GM John Schuerholz on Sunday, said a person familiar with the matter. The Braves are not shopping Jones, who is under contract through next season, when he will make $13.5 million. But they would listen ... Epstein asked what it would take to get Jones, and Schuerholz said a package of 22-year-old left-handed starter Jon Lester, outfielder Coco Crisp and 22-year-old rookie reliever Craig Hansen... The Red Sox wouldn't part with him and the discussion with the Braves went no further.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:05 PM   #617
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp.../0801sosa.html

A deal that was made:
Atlanta made only a minor trade Monday, sending pitcher Jorge Sosa to the St. Louis Cardinals in exchange for minor league right-hander Rich Scalamandre, who will be assigned to Class AAA Richmond.

And a deal that wasn't made:
The Braves were never close to trading Andruw Jones to the Boston Red Sox on Monday, despite rumors that circulated before the 4 p.m. trade deadline. Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein did make a call to Braves GM John Schuerholz on Sunday, said a person familiar with the matter. The Braves are not shopping Jones, who is under contract through next season, when he will make $13.5 million. But they would listen ... Epstein asked what it would take to get Jones, and Schuerholz said a package of 22-year-old left-handed starter Jon Lester, outfielder Coco Crisp and 22-year-old rookie reliever Craig Hansen... The Red Sox wouldn't part with him and the discussion with the Braves went no further.

Sosa's got pretty good stuff , and could be good if he ever gets his head together. I guess the Braves got tired of waiting for him.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:11 PM   #618
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980
Sosa's got pretty good stuff , and could be good if he ever gets his head together. I guess the Braves got tired of waiting for him.

Actually, it was more like "got tired of seeing him suck every time he went to the mound".

Prior to working 2 scoreless innings in a blowout loss to the Mets over the weekend, he had allowed at least one run in 5 of 6 relief appearances & the exception was a 14 pitch/1 AB outing. He allowed 4+ runs in 9 of 14 starts and reached the 6th inning in less than half his starts. Basically he had been tried at every role on the staff this year and stunk horribly at all of them.

He was DFA'ed on Sunday and any return on a trade was a plus at this point.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:18 PM   #619
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Actually, it was more like "got tired of seeing him suck every time he went to the mound".

Prior to working 2 scoreless innings in a blowout loss to the Mets over the weekend, he had allowed at least one run in 5 of 6 relief appearances & the exception was a 14 pitch/1 AB outing. He allowed 4+ runs in 9 of 14 starts and reached the 6th inning in less than half his starts. Basically he had been tried at every role on the staff this year and stunk horribly at all of them.

He was DFA'ed on Sunday and any return on a trade was a plus at this point.

He always did well against my Phils .

Since he's got such a good bat, maybe he should try and be an OFer. Wasn't he originally drafted as an OF by TB? I could see him in a Brooks Keishneck (sp) type role.

Now that I brought it up, I'm surprised that there aren't more guys (albiet not a ton, but a few) guys like Brooks in the MLB. I know if I was a MGR, I would love to have a 25th man who could eat some innings in a blowout (especially in NL ball), who has a decent stick.

Last edited by Philliesfan980 : 07-31-2006 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:27 PM   #620
henry296
College Starter

Papi does it again. Unbelievable.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:29 PM   #621
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296

Yep, did you get the feeling that he was going to hit a HR? I felt like it was a done deal when he stepped in. He's that good.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:33 PM   #622
Fouts
College Starter

Amazing.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 12:41 AM   #623
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296

Great stat from Elias/ESPN.com - Over the last two years, Ortiz has 21 HRs in "late inning pressure situations". The next highest guy in that time has 12. Also, Ortiz has more "walkoff" hits in the last 4 years than any other guy, in any other 4 year period, in MLB history.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 08:58 PM   #624
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Carlos Guillen hits for the cycle tonight in Tampa.

Tigers up 9-3 in the top of the 8th. Barring a collapse, Verlander will be the first in the bigs to 14 wins.

He has to be as much a contender for the Cy/RotY as Liriano. 2nd best ERA in the AL, third in the MLB and 1st in wins at this point? On the best team in baseball to this point.

Hard to argue it.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:57 PM   #625
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Giants catcher Mike Matheny will not play again this season because of lingering post-concussion symptoms, the club announced Wednesday.

Trainer Stan Conte delivered the news after San Francisco's 8-6 victory over Washington. Matheny had another round of tests last week at the University of Pittsburgh, and the results confirmed he is still experiencing symptoms that make it too risky for him to return to action.

"This does not mean his career is over," Conte said. "But the longer his symptoms last, the more likely that's an issue."

Matheny has not played since taking a foul tip off his catcher's mask on May 31. More than two months later, he still endures occasional headaches, fogginess and dizziness, plus short-term memory loss. He has said he took multiple foul tips off his mask and helmet in the games preceding his final appearance.

Matheny, who will turn 36 next month, is trying not to contemplate the possibility his baseball career has ended. Conte said if the symptoms are not gone by March 2007, then it would become time to consider this a career-threatening injury.

"It will be a possibility when they tell me it's a possibility," Matheny said. "Until then, I'm going home (to Missouri) to spend time with my family and heal up. ... It's hard not to go in that direction, because everyone thinks about the future. I'm trying not to fall into that trap."

Despite his eagerness to play, Matheny acknowledged he did not really protest the decision to declare his 2006 season over. He and his wife, Kristin, have five children, and Kristin has expressed concern about the long-term impact of Matheny's condition.

"It's been frustrating, because every time you take a step forward you take two back," he said. "I realized a while back it was out of my hands. When you're talking about the brain, and you hear about potential risks, that makes it easier to understand. It wasn't time to be hard-headed."

Matheny has visited about 10 doctors, by Conte's estimate, and had countless MRI exams, CT scans and inner-ear tests. But every time Matheny increases his activity, the symptoms return. That indicates he's not over the concussion, Conte said, and the Giants thus do not want to risk putting him back on the field.

If the Giants do not know more about Matheny's long-term prognosis until March -- a distinct possibility, as Conte suggested -- then they probably need to plan their 2007 roster as if he will not be available. Eliezer Alfonzo has become the starting catcher in Matheny's absence.

Matheny's three-year contract expires after the '07 season.

"I told Brian (Sabean) I realize I've put him and the organization in a tough spot," Matheny said. "It wasn't my intention, but it's real, and I understand the business side."

Damn. I hope he recovers fully.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...PGA5KAB9B2.DTL
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 05:08 AM   #626
miami_fan
Coordinator

So Kerry Wood is officially shut down for the season and plans to come back as a reliever next year. Do you take a chance on Wood as a reliever?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 07:24 AM   #627
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69

I am not defender of former Twins, let me be clear.

But depending on what you mean by "right now" I'd disagree here. Lately, Lohse had actually been pretty impressive of late in the Twins bullpen. I have grave reservations about his ability to succeed if placed back into a starting rotation, but Lohse might be able to better deliver on his once-promised potential if he remains in relief.

Over the last month, Lohse has had a K/BB ratio of vearly seven -- which is off the scales, even for a short span of only 17 innings.

There's little chace I'd offer up a top prospect for Lohse, and almost no chance I'd do so with a plan to return him to a starting role. But an effective RH reliever who could serve as a sinwgman does have some value -- and that might turn out to be a sort of "sweet spot" for him if he gets into the right hands. Of course... we can rarely trust anyone in Cinti to serve in the capacity of "the right hands" so this is largely moot, at least as long as he is serving time there. (As I recall, he's on a winning arbitrattion contract, so he would be a free agent after this season)

Just for what it's worth...
QuikSand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 07:31 AM   #628
Butter
Coordinator

Right now = this season.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:47 AM   #629
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
The Pads got a good hitting improvement at 3B with Todd Walker from the Cubs. Hopefully he won't be too much of a liability with his glove on a good defensive team.

Scratch that. Hopefully it was just nerves.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 06:12 PM   #630
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

They're saying now that Javy Lopez could be with the Boston Red Sox when they go to Tampa Bay tomorrow.

How would that work, anybody know? I mean, what would the trade be? I assume it's a trade, since I thought they had to go through waivers now, and I thought that if they did, Boston would have virtually no chance of picking him up, since they're so highly ranked...

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 06:16 PM   #631
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin
They're saying now that Javy Lopez could be with the Boston Red Sox when they go to Tampa Bay tomorrow.

How would that work, anybody know? I mean, what would the trade be? I assume it's a trade, since I thought they had to go through waivers now, and I thought that if they did, Boston would have virtually no chance of picking him up, since they're so highly ranked...

/tk

word on SportsRadio 850 WEEI in Boston today was that the compensation was still being worked out and was dependant on how much of the 2.7 million remaining to Lopez the Red Sox wanted to assume, but that it would essentially be a mid-level minor leaguer (someone like Abe Alverez if you know the Sox farm system). Certainly not one of their big "untouchable" young studs, and not one of the up-and-coming position players (Ellsbury, Murphy, Pedroia).
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 06:29 PM   #632
Terps
College Prospect

The O's would probably let Javy go on waivers anyway if he did get claimed.
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 06:47 PM   #633
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

whoa. Ortiz is getting Barry Bonds treatment from the Indians. He just got walked with guys on 2nd and 3rd and 2 outs in the 2nd inning of a game the sox are leading 3-0.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 08:15 PM   #634
molson
General Manager

If the move is already public, Lopez must have already cleared waivers - the Sox certaintly wouldn't risk the Yankees blocking the move.

At this time of the year, almost everyone goes through revocable waivers at some point - even if only as a smokescreen. No team would be tempted by a $9 million dollar backup catcher with a bad attitude.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 08:23 PM   #635
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The Yanks can't block it, waiver claims are decided in the order of rankings, and the Sox are currently 1/2 game behind the Yankees
Old 08-03-2006, 08:26 PM   #636
Fouts
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
whoa. Ortiz is getting Barry Bonds treatment from the Indians. He just got walked with guys on 2nd and 3rd and 2 outs in the 2nd inning of a game the sox are leading 3-0.

It's Bonds treatment if the bases were loaded.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:02 PM   #637
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo

That's not the Bonds treatment, that's smart baseball. Bases loaded you force a groundout anywhere
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 01:12 AM   #638
SackAttack
Head Coach

Fucking Cincinnati weather.

Why couldn't it have rained in Southern California instead of Cincy tonight?
Old 08-04-2006, 04:53 AM   #639
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Hamels appears to have pitched a gem tonight. 7 innings, 1 ER, 12k. Utley goes to 35 games. The Phils sweep the cards, and move to 2.5 out of the wild card. Lets see what they can do with the Mets and Braves. The team really has nothing to lose at this point. Guys like Utley and Howard are playing for future contracts. Guys like Delluci are playing for offseason FA money. Randy Wolf needs to wake up and pitch well the rest of the way, as he's a FA too.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 01:32 PM   #640
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708
That's not the Bonds treatment, that's smart baseball. Bases loaded you force a groundout anywhere
It also gives the pitcher no room for error - he has to throw strikes or give up a run.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 04:18 PM   #641
DeToxRox
Head Coach

With Andruw Jones only days away from gaining trade veto power, the All-Star center fielder was claimed on waivers by an unnamed team, leaving the Braves until 1 p.m. ET Saturday to decide whether to take their last opportunity to deal Jones unfettered.

Andruw Jones
Center Field
Atlanta Braves

2006 SEASON STATISTICS
GM HR RBI R OBP AVG
104 25 93 63 .351 .271

That Jones was placed on waivers is unremarkable; he was one of hundreds of players, including many stars, who were placed on waivers earlier this week. What makes Jones' situation interesting is that on Aug. 15, he will gain 10-and-5 rights -- 10 years in the big leagues, five with the same team -- to block any proposed trade.

Multiple teams placed claims on Jones, according to major-league sources. But on Thursday afternoon, one team was awarded a claim on Jones. Now the Braves have two choices -- either work out a trade with the team who placed the claim by Saturday or pull Jones back from waivers. If they pull him back, they cannot trade him again for the rest of this season.

Jones' value in the trade market is relatively high right now, because he is a highly productive player locked up for only one more year -- at $13.5 million -- at a time when players like Alfonso Soriano and Carlos Lee might command $70 million packages on the free-agent market.

The Boston Red Sox tried to deal for Jones leading up to the trade deadline, with some intent to try to flip him to the Houston Astros for Roy Oswalt. Some scouts also think that the Los Angeles Angels, who've been looking for a bat, might have high interest in Jones.

Atlanta GM John Schuerholz, reached on his cell phone, said Friday afternoon that he would not comment on the team's internal business.

Buster Olney is a senior writer for ESPN The Magazine.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:24 PM   #642
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
Buster Olney is a senior writer for ESPN The Magazine.

Interesting.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 08:01 PM   #643
JeeberD
General Manager

Roy O going yard!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 08:01 PM   #644
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
Roy O going yard!

Should've done it as a Met.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 08:11 PM   #645
JeeberD
General Manager

Damn, just damn...10-0 'Stros in the third!

Old 08-09-2006, 08:47 PM   #646
JeeberD
General Manager

two dingers and six ribbies for Aubrey Huff tonight!

And Luke Scott just went yard too!!!!!!!!

Five homers for the Astros tonight, 12-0 in the fifth!

Old 08-09-2006, 08:55 PM   #647
kingfc22
Head Coach

Big Unit has it working in Chicago right now. Damn Yankees.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:09 PM   #648
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

David Ross with the Walk Off 2 Run HR to beat the Cards.

I still doubt the Reds have the arms to make the playoffs but at least they are making this season fun.

(And no I don't think Todd Hollandsworth is going to help the offense)
Old 08-09-2006, 09:15 PM   #649
JeeberD
General Manager

Bah, stupid Reds...

And Jason Lane hits homer #6 on the night for the Astros. 14-1 in the sixth...

Old 08-09-2006, 11:11 PM   #650
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Damn it's good to see one Michael Sweeney back in the lineup for the Royals. Twins better send the Royals a fruit basket or something- rolling over and getting swept in 4 against them and then taking the first 2 from the Red Sox.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote