Grizzled Veteran

College defenses.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 09:43 AM   #602
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
I think the concern is being raised because much of the hoopla over Young has been that he is a superior athlete, particularly so as a QB. If his speed is deemed pedestrian than his stock drops a bit. If you're not taking him for his incredible athleticism then he is quite mortal.

Indeed. That's my point. He is so high on the board because of his athletic ability. He played in the shotgun most of his career and has a funky motion, so teams are drafting him based on his potential and he'll probably take the McNair path of sitting on the bench learning for a few years.

Slower than anticipated speed downgrades some of that percieved athletic ability. I do think that some teams looked at Young and thought he was just as fast as Marcus Vick.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:37 AM   #603
Daimyo
College Starter

40 times aren't a measure of top end speed, but of acceleration which I imagine is very important for a QB who depends so much on making people miss. If this was the only knock on him i think it would be easy to look past it, but combined with all the other knocks I wouldn't want my team picking him in the first round.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 10:42 AM   #604
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Vince Young in FOF terms is a QB with 10/80 talents and (99) volatility. He has the potential to cost you your job, or take you to the promised land.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 10:52 AM   #605
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo
40 times aren't a measure of top end speed, but of acceleration which I imagine is very important for a QB who depends so much on making people miss. If this was the only knock on him i think it would be easy to look past it, but combined with all the other knocks I wouldn't want my team picking him in the first round.

He is a great pick for team that doesn't need a QB right now. He is a future pick, not an immediate need pick.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 10:57 AM   #606
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
He is a great pick for team that doesn't need a QB right now. He is a future pick, not an immediate need pick.

Maybe, but it's pretty rare that in the first round of the draft you take a player whom you don't expect to help you right away. So, someone is going to have to take that leap and see what happens.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:07 AM   #607
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69
Maybe, but it's pretty rare that in the first round of the draft you take a player whom you don't expect to help you right away. So, someone is going to have to take that leap and see what happens.

When was Willie McGahee picked, knowing he had a whole year of rehab ahead of him? When McNair picked when the team had no intention of starting him for a couple of years? Shoot, the Falcons traded to take Vick number one with no intention of him starting right away. Teams often take players with huge upsides in the first round.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:17 AM   #608
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
When was Willie McGahee picked, knowing he had a whole year of rehab ahead of him? When McNair picked when the team had no intention of starting him for a couple of years? Shoot, the Falcons traded to take Vick number one with no intention of him starting right away. Teams often take players with huge upsides in the first round.

And while not necessarily picked with that entirely in mind, the Eli/Rivers situation has the potential to end up working out quite well for San Diego if Rivers steps up and doesn't have all the growing pains of a rookie.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:19 AM   #609
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:

So, 1 out of 32 picks = not rare?
Old 03-23-2006, 11:23 AM   #610
Huckleberry
College Starter

I know I'm shocked Mortensen had a negative take on Young's workout.

AP review and Sean Salisbury/Ed Werder gave a night and day take.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9329181

Perhaps people are upset Young didn't show he has been working at being a wide receiver? Perhaps people are upset he has spent the last two months working on his NFL QB skillset instead of 40-yard dash technique and form?

The idea that a 4.49-4.61 40 is going to drop his stock as a QB is retarded.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings

Last edited by Huckleberry : 03-23-2006 at 11:24 AM.
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:35 AM   #611
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry

Perhaps people are upset Young didn't show he has been working at being a wide receiver? Perhaps people are upset he has spent the last two months working on his NFL QB skillset instead of 40-yard dash technique and form?

Here we stand united. I still want to know your secrets though.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:47 PM   #612
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
So, 1 out of 32 picks = not rare?
It's more than 1 out of 32.

Carson Palmer ring a bell? Especially with QB's teams often take them in the first with intentions to groom them for a year or two out.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 01:54 PM   #613
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooper
It's more than 1 out of 32.

Carson Palmer ring a bell? Especially with QB's teams often take them in the first with intentions to groom them for a year or two out.

QB is the only position that happens with. So, I'll give you that it's not rare to take a QB to do this with. McGahee was a very rare exception, though.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:00 PM   #614
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
QB is the only position that happens with. So, I'll give you that it's not rare to take a QB to do this with. McGahee was a very rare exception, though.

Yes, and this discussion involves a QB. In recent years, more first round QB's have NOT started immediately than vice versa.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 03:27 PM   #615
mckerney
Coordinator

Mike McMahon to Minnesota. w00t for a backup QB who doesn't complete 50% of his passes.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 03:28 PM   #616
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

The Cowboys sign Mike Vanderjagt.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 03:30 PM   #617
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney
Mike McMahon to Minnesota. w00t for a backup QB who doesn't complete 50% of his passes.

This move pleases me greatly.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 03:46 PM   #618
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
The Cowboys sign Mike Vanderjagt.

Can't wait for Vandy to start trash talking with T.O
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 04:03 PM   #619
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

ESPN should do a Sportscenter commercial with T.O, Vanderjagt, and the Tuna. Have a host pop off about T.O., have Vanderjagt agree with him, have T.O. come in and go ape shit, then have Parcells come in, pick up Vanderjagt, and lob-toss him at T.O., knocking him down like a bowling pin. Maybe have Drew Bledsoe sitting in the background with his feet up on the desk, reading a comic book. And Jerry Jones face down in a bowl of Texas chili. And Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders everywhere.

Laugh-riot.

Last edited by WSUCougar : 03-23-2006 at 04:12 PM.
WSUCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 04:08 PM   #620
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

take out everything but the cheerleaders and I'm in.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 04:13 PM   #621
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The Lions continue to gobble up yet even more back-ups and injury-riddled linemen.

They just signed tackle Courtney Van Buren (San Diego) to a one year deal. Apparently he has had a number of knee injuries over the course of his brief career.

I think all of the depth linemen they've signed so far - Stokes, Tucker, and Van Buren - are coming off serious injuries.

Good times!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 03-23-2006, 04:24 PM   #622
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:

However, the idea that he is slower than anticipated with a QB who is valued for his physical gifts, not his mental ones, it is a blow. If I am touted as a physical wunderkund that turns in a 4.8 40, and doesn't have the zip on the ball as expected is going to hammer my draft stock, if I don't have other reasons for me to be picked.

In the case of Young, it is another item that increases his risk. Let's face it, prior to the USC game, no one expected the kid to come out, everyone said he needed another year. He has the huge game in the Rose Bowl, and he is the second coming of Michael Vick.

In retrospect, who didn't have a big game against USC's defense this year? Thinking about this rationally, it was not as impressive as originally thought. ND, Fresno State, and other teams put up big numbers against the SC defense this year. Then, he goes and hires a nobody as his agent. His judgement is called into question. Then, he goes and scores a 15/16 on his Wonderlic the second time around. These last two items calls into question his decision making ability. Again, his risk factor is increased. Is this someone you take in the top 10 of the draft?

It depends, I think given the right situation, the right system, sure he could be a stud. However, given the state of today's NFL, and what teams that need QBs have been doing in FA this year, I think GMs are saying they are not sold on him. When Oakland goes out and signs Aaron Brooks, when they could get Young at #8 says a lot.

Personally, I would not touch Young with a 10' pole until the 2nd or 3rd round, but that is just me. I think WAY too many QBs are taken too early in the draft.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 04:58 PM   #623
miami_fan
Coordinator

So is the Vince Young debate dispell the notion that teams don't want guys who score well at the combine or who look good in shorts during workouts, they want guys who perform on the football field?
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 05:42 PM   #624
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan
So is the Vince Young debate dispell the notion that teams don't want guys who score well at the combine or who look good in shorts during workouts, they want guys who perform on the football field?

When looking at college QBs, how can you decide who can perform on an NFL football field? I'm sure people thought David Klingler and Akili Smith performed on the football field in college and could perform in the pros as well.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:04 PM   #625
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I heard on NFL radio that Larry Allen signed with San Fran... Need to confirm.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:05 PM   #626
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
When looking at college QBs, how can you decide who can perform on an NFL football field? I'm sure people thought David Klingler and Akili Smith performed on the football field in college and could perform in the pros as well.

I am not disputing that whatsoever. It was more of a commentary on the definitive annoucers throughout the season that Player X will be a star on Sundays during many a college football games.
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 07:20 PM   #627
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
I heard on NFL radio that Larry Allen signed with San Fran... Need to confirm.

49ers | L. Allen contract update
Thu, 23 Mar 2006 16:52:29 -0800
Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports free agent OG Larry Allen (Cowboys) signed a two-year contract with the San Francisco 49ers believed to be worth between $4 million and $5 million per year. The deal is contingent upon Allen passing a physical and then signing the contract.

:sigh:

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:18 PM   #628
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

The Panthers have signed Keyshawn.

Panthers | Team lands K. Johnson
Thu, 23 Mar 2006 17:57:44 -0800
Clarence E. Hill Jr., of the Star-Telegram, reports the Carolina Panthers have agreed to a four-year deal with free agent WR Keyshawn Johnson (Cowboys). Johnson received a $5 million signing bonus.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:25 PM   #629
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Eh - is there an issue with Moretensen and Vince Young ?
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 10:04 PM   #630
JeeberD
General Manager

The Niners? Of all the goddamn teams in the league, he has to sign with the Niners...

Ugh.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 10:06 PM   #631
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Panthers get scarier... Smith on one side, Keyshawn on the other. Yikes!
Old 03-23-2006, 10:13 PM   #632
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
Panthers get scarier... Smith on one side, Keyshawn on the other. Yikes!

I agree, that's a scary combo.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 10:37 PM   #633
Subby
lolzcat

Tuesday, February 28, 2006
Young good, not great at workout

By Todd McShay
Scouts Inc.

Rarely does a pro day draw as much attention as Texas' did on Wednesday. The event began at 11 a.m. ET and 31 of the 32 NFL teams were represented, with nearly 200 coaches and personnel officials in attendance. The Redskins, who do not currently own picks in the first or third rounds of the upcoming draft, were the only team that did not send at least one scout to view the proceedings.
Vince Young will have private workouts with a number of teams before the draft.
While the Longhorns' pro day was oozing with talent, no workout was scrutinized more than quarterback Vince Young's. All in all, Young's results can be classified as good but not spectacular. He ran the 40-yard dash only once and it was timed between 4.55 and 4.60, depending on the scout's stopwatch you believe. The result wasn't quite as fast as some expected (there were rumors that he was being timed in the 4.4's during practice runs), but Young's top-end speed is far better than most starting quarterbacks in the NFL and nobody can question his overall athleticism, especially considering his prototypical size (6-4 5/8, 228).
Far more important was Young's throwing session, which took place more than four hours later at 3:15 p.m. ET. Young got off to a hot start, connecting on his first eight attempts. He lost the "strike zone" during a couple brief stints over the course of the 45-minute exercise. Two other complaints that I heard from scouts in attendance were that Young waited for his receivers to come out of their breaks on too many of his throws and that he also was not forced to make some of the more challenging throws that he will be asked to make during private workouts. But overall, Young showed good accuracy and better-than-expected arm strength, particularly on some of the deep-out routes. Despite his unconventional throwing style, scouts were also impressed with the quickness of his release.
Young will be placed under an even more intense microscope over the next few weeks when he is brought in by interested NFL franchises for individual workouts at their respective practice facilities. However, he was at least able to effectively take snaps from under center and show a good rhythm as a passer when working off of drops, which he did little of while starting in Texas' shotgun read-option scheme.
Few prospects have seen their draft stock fluctuate as much as Young has over the course of the last three months. It seemingly peaked after his phenomenal Rose Bowl performance versus USC, which triggered his decision to leave school early for the 2006 NFL draft. At that point, Young was being discussed as a possible top-overall selection. Over the next couple of months, however, Young's value began to nose-dive a bit after he elected not to work out at the combine and scored a 15 (best of two attempts) on the Wonderlic Personnel Test. Wednesday's workout definitely helped stop the bleeding, though. As is stands right now, it's safe to say that Young has solidified a spot in the top 15 picks but he will need to impress during his more intense individual workouts for NFL teams in order to secure a place in the top 10. The Houston Texans, Tennessee Titans and New York Jets already have scheduled private workouts and I've been told that the Oakland Raiders and Baltimore Ravens are two of the other teams planning on doing the same.
As for the other prospects who worked out in Austin on Wednesday, defensive backs Cedric Griffin and Michael Huff continued to increase their draft stock with impressive showings in agility drills. Griffin improved on his short shuttle time from the combine (4.10) by running it in 3.97 seconds, which will only help solidify his spot on Day 1. Huff, on the other hand, helped solidify his place in the top 10 overall picks with excellent times in the short shuttle (3.96) and three-cone drill (6.68), which were two of the events that he opted out of at the combine.
Tight end David Thomas helped his cause as a fringe first day prospect by putting on a solid showing as a deep snapper, which is not an area he was expected to work out during the pro day. Thomas also ran an impressive short shuttle time of 4.15 seconds and registered 21 reps on the 225-pound bench press -- both of which were improvements from his combine workout.
Defensive tackle Rodrique Wright, a fringe first-round prospect, elected to keep most of his combine results but he did improve his short shuttle time by running it in 4.47 seconds.
Conversely, defensive tackle Larry Dibbles and guard Will Allen, both of whom were combine snubs, were unable to help their causes as late-round prospects during their workouts on Wednesday. Allen (6-4 7/8, 306) ran the 40-yard dash in 5.34 seconds and 5.36 seconds, notched 24 reps on the bench and ran slow times in the short shuttle (4.66) and three-cone drill (8.04). Dibbles (6-1 3/8, 290) showed up lighter than expected but still clocked embarrassingly slow times in the 40 (5.37, 5.38), short shuttle (4.75) and three-cone drill (8.08), while also failing to break the 20-rep plateau on the bench press (19).

Other Pro Days

There have been some other pro day of interest over the course of the last week, including ones held on the campuses of Penn State, Pittsburgh, Colorado, Georgia Tech and Oregon. • Penn State: Penn State's workout could be considered one of the most important in this year's draft process, as the majority of their top prospects opted not to participate at this year's scouting combine. Of the 19 players (all from Penn State) who worked out at State College on March 17, seven were invited to the combine but only one (safety Calvin Lowry) completed a full workout that week.
As such, the pressure was on for prospects such as defensive end Tamba Hali, QB/wide receiver Michael Robinson, safety Chris Harrell, defensive end Matthew Rice and cornerbacks Anwar Phillips and Alan Zemaitis.
Robinson helped his cause by working out at multiple positions, including wide receiver and return specialist. He also ran his 40s in the mid-4.5's, had a vertical jump of 32 ½ inches and ran a good three-cone drill time of 6.95 seconds. Phillips had a decent all-around workout thanks to a good vertical jump (35½ inches) and a fast time in the short shuttle (4.09), but he will have a difficult time slipping into the top-40 overall picks with 40-yard dash times of 4.59 and 4.63 seconds. In reality, none of the top prospects from Penn State ran well in the 40-yard dash, including Hali (4.86 and 4.87), Zemaitis (4.58 and 4.57), Harrell (4.82 and 4.81) and Rice (4.93 and 4.87). Of those times, Hali's has to be considered the most damaging. Hali wasn't expected to turn heads with his top-end speed, but failing to crack the 4.7-second barrier could cause him to slip to the bottom of the first round. Notching only 18 reps of the 225-pound bench press won't help Hali's cause, either.
Pittsburgh: Pittsburgh did not have nearly as much talent on display at its pro day as Penn State, but its top draft prospects had much more success overall. Guard Charles Spencer, who had impressive showings at the Senior Bowl and combine, continued his ascent up the draft board with strong showing on March 18. Spencer kept his 40-yard time (5.28) and bench press (30 reps) from the combine but participated in the vertical jump (27½"), long jump (8-3), short shuttle (4.64) and three-cone drill (7.74). Spencer has solidified a spot on Day 1, likely late in the second round or early in the third round. Also helping his cause was WR Greg Lee, who improved on his 40-yard dash times from the combine by running in the mid-4.6's and also turned in a solid 34½-inch vertical jump. Lee currently grades out as a fringe Day 1 prospect.
Colorado: One of the highlights of Colorado's March 17 pro day was the solid showing of late-round prospect QB Joel Klatt. The somewhat undersized (6-1, 205) signal caller showed good arm strength and adequate accuracy during his passing drills, while also running solid times in the 40-yard dash (4.83) and three-cone drill (7.12). Klatt got off to a strong start as a senior but fizzled down the stretch. By turning in an impressive performance in front of the 25 NFL teams that were in attendance in Boulder last week, Klatt might have earned a spot in the late rounds of the upcoming draft.
Tight end Joe Klopfenstein is one of the fastest rising prospects in this year's draft class right now and he only continued to improve his stock with a near-flawless position-drill workout and two 40-yard dash times of 4.56 and 4.57 seconds. Outside linebacker/strong safety Brian Iwuh did not work out due to an injured hamstring and will run in Houston on March 27.
Georgia Tech: Georgia Tech's pro day was rather uneventful. Defensive end Eric Henderson put up 28 reps of the 225-pound bench press but kept all the rest of his times from the combine. Inside linebacker Gerris Wilkinson should have solidified a spot late on Day 1 by running his 40's in the low 4.6's, while also impressing in the short shuttle (4.08) and vertical jump (41 inches). Running back P.J. Daniels, on the other hand, was unable to disprove critics who question his speed when he ran his two 40-yard dash attempts in 4.67 and 4.70. His unimpressive workout could keep Daniels out of the first four rounds of the draft.
Oregon State: WR Demetrius Williams made a risky decision not to run at the combine but he erased doubts by running a best of 4.44 seconds in his two 40-yard dash attempts at Oregon's March 16 Pro Day. Tight end Tim Day had a good position-drill workout and also showed good quickness in the short shuttle (4.36) and three-cone drill (6.89). Defensive tackle Haloti Ngata (6-4 1/2, 340), the highest rated Oregon prospect as a potential top-10 pick, opted to keep all of his test results from the combine but did have a strong showing during his position-drill portion of the workout.
Brett Elliott: Finally, one small school prospect worth noting is Linfield quarterback Brett Elliott, who worked out at Portland State's pro day on March 17. Elliott, who was awarded the Gagliardi Trophy as the outstanding football player in NCAA Division III last season, is considered a fringe late-round prospect in this year's quarterback class. He did not impress in the 40-yard dash (5.11 and 5.17) or agility drills (4.59 short shuttle and 7.68 three-cone), but he did display adequate arm strength and impressive accuracy during his passing session.

Remaining Pro Days

There are only two weeks of pro days remaining but many of the top schools have yet to partake, including USC. Below is a schedule of upcoming pro days. I will continue to update the players helping and hurting their draft stocks the most over the course of the final two-week stretch. March 23: Auburn, Connecticut, Duke, Georgia, Miami (Ohio), North Carolina Central, Notre Dame (2nd) and Shippensburg (Pa.)
March 24: Colorado State, Georgia Southern, Hofstra, Indiana State, Louisiana Tech (1st), Memphis, Northwestern State (La.) and Portland State
March 27: Houston and Rice
March 28: Jacksonville State and Utah State (2nd)
March 29: Arizona State (2nd), Central Florida (2nd), New Mexico State, Tennessee (2nd) and Utah
March 30: Carson-Newman and Stephen F. Austin
March 31: Louisiana Tech (2nd) and Purdue (2nd)
April 2: Southern Cal. Scouts Inc. watches games, breaks down film and studies football from all angles for ESPN Insider.

Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:04 PM   #634
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
I agree, that's a scary combo.

As long as Keyshawn realizes he's just the other guy, it will work out well. He's old enough now that I don't expect that to be a problem. But....ya never know till you play the games.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:47 PM   #635
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well I don't think he's deluded enough to think that the Panthers won't keep Smith as their #1 reciever. No matter who they sign (Yes, that includes T.O. or Moss).
Old 03-23-2006, 11:48 PM   #636
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
As long as Keyshawn realizes he's just the other guy, it will work out well. He's old enough now that I don't expect that to be a problem. But....ya never know till you play the games.

If he doesn't realize it, I'm sure Steve Smith will let him know.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 01:02 AM   #637
kingfc22
Head Coach

Larry Allen. Love the move.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:12 AM   #638
mckerney
Coordinator

Tank Williams is a Viking.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 05:00 PM   #639
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
The Cowboys aggressively tried to retain Keyshawn Johnson while he was closing his deal with the Panthers.
Why didn't they pay his roster bonus in the first place then? It would have been very interesting to see Terrell Owens and Keyshawn on the same team. Terry Glenn probably would have come off the bench. Mar. 24 - 4:03 pm et
Source: ESPN.com Insider

That would have made an interesting locker room.

Quote:
Cowboys scouts are reportedly interest in making Charlie Whitehurst their next "quarterback of the future."
Something tells us Drew Henson lost the tag the minute he went to NFL Europe. Whitehurst looks like a second or third-round pick. Mar. 24 - 4:07 pm et
Source: ESPN.com Insider

Hmm, not too sure about Whitehurst. I just bought Pro Football Weekly's Draft guide and under Whitehurst it says that NFL scouts call him a poor man's Drew Bledsoe and question how much upside he has.

Quote:
Seahawks signed WR Nate Burleson to a seven-year, $49 million offer sheet, with $5.25 million guaranteed and two comical "poison pills" provisions included.
The contract total was made to look just like the offer sheet Minnesota used to sign Steve Hutchinson away from the Seahawks. Burleson's deal would be re-worked after a few years. More noteworthy are Seattle's tongue-in-cheek 'poison pills' in the deal that guarantees the entire contract if Burleson plays a certain numer of games in the state of Minnesota or exceeds the highest paid running back on the team. Those provisions are a loud attempt by Seattle to close significant loopholes in the 'transition' tag designation that Minnesota took advantage of with Hutchinson's contract. Among all that confusion is the likelihood that Minnesota won't keep Burleson. They only offered him the 'low tender' as a restricted free agent. They would receive a third-round pick as compensation. Burleson would become an interesting fantasy bet in Seattle. Mar. 24 - 5:28 pm et
Source: The News Tribune

Love those poison pills.

Fire Ron Lee.

Last edited by TazFTW : 03-24-2006 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:03 PM   #640
st.cronin
General Manager

I saw Whitehurst play a couple of games in college. I am, quite frankly, shocked that he is even remotely considered to be an NFL prospect. Not much arm strength, very little accuracy, almost zero game sense.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 05:18 PM   #641
Travis
Pro Rookie

If the Burleson signing goes through, I'll be one happy Seahawks fan. Having Engram and Warrick as our 2/3 receivers just didn't have quite the same potential as throwing Burleson out opposite Jackson while using either/both Warrick and Engram as slot receivers. With the news that Hamlin has been cleared and should be ready for camp, if they can add a starting calibre G or CB prior to the draft, they should be sitting in absolutely great position to defend their NFC title and try to build towards another crack at the Superbowl.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:07 PM   #642
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Is Nate Burelson really that good?

I guess he'll be better in Seattle as long as he's the #2 WR to DJ, but he's by no means a #1, and that seems like a hefty contract for a #2 not named Reggie Wayne.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 06:08 PM   #643
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sando in the Tacoma News Tribune
The poison pills are obviously direct retribution for the contract Minnesota used to sign LG Steve Hutchinson from the Seahawks. More than anything, it appears as though the Seahawks are making a point about just how ludicrous these poison-pill clauses can be. Now we'll see if the league and its players address the issue. Just on principle, it's hard to imagine the Vikings contesting these clauses after using a similar one with Hutchinson.
Good for the Seahawks, and hopefully this is the impetus for the NFL and NFLPA to address this issue. The original provision in the Hutch offer sheet was bullshit, and it was even more bullshit for the arbitrator to rule that the provision was effective on the date that offer sheet was signed, thus making it impossible for Seattle to match the deal since they'd have to guarantee the entire deal.

The Seahawks' offer to Burleson has a more humorous aspect to it, but the principle is the same - it contains clauses that the Vikings can't match. The number of games played in Minnesota thing is silly and will likely be tossed-out, but similar to the original poison pill in Hutch's deal, the Vikings should have the ability to re-work contracts on their team to deal with the other provision that compares salaries with other positions on the team, just like the Seahawks re-working Walter Jones' deal should've allowed them to avoid having to guarantee the entire offer sheet to Hutchinson.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 06:10 PM   #644
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Burleson is definately worth giving up a 3rd round pick for. Especially when its #31 in the round.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:11 PM   #645
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
Is Nate Burelson really that good?

I guess he'll be better in Seattle as long as he's the #2 WR to DJ, but he's by no means a #1, and that seems like a hefty contract for a #2 not named Reggie Wayne.
The 7 years and $49M figures are just for show. The key number is the $5.25M guaranteed, which isn't that large a number for a WR. This is really a 4-year deal dressed-up to look bigger than it really is - undoubtedly the latter years of the deal will be re-worked when it gets to that point.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:19 PM   #646
Travis
Pro Rookie

The numbers were done in this fashion to make it look more like the offer to Hutch. Same years, same overall money, then the provisions put in for the poison pills, just a gag with a bit of a point to it.

That said, with having to deal with Alexander twice, Hasselbeck, Jones and Hutch, to only end up losing Hutch out of that group, that's a pretty impressive pair of offseasons for retaining an offensive core. With the addition of a true #2 (potentially) as well as 3 new starting LB's in the past two years, the direction this team is taking is a welcome change from their historical path.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:56 PM   #647
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan
The 7 years and $49M figures are just for show. The key number is the $5.25M guaranteed, which isn't that large a number for a WR. This is really a 4-year deal dressed-up to look bigger than it really is - undoubtedly the latter years of the deal will be re-worked when it gets to that point.

Very true. I somehow misread that bonus figure. It's a solid deal, so long as Burelson isn't counted on to be a #1.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 07:17 PM   #648
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
Very true. I somehow misread that bonus figure. It's a solid deal, so long as Burelson isn't counted on to be a #1.
I'm sure he's being looked at as a #2 complement to Darrell Jackson, allowing Bobby Engram to return to being the #3/slot WR role.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:09 PM   #649
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

I really like Burleson, although I was a bit perplexed by his lack of production this past season. Could be a great pickup for Seattle, but I don't think Minnesota will have a problem taking a 3rd round pick for him.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:14 PM   #650
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Supposedly years 5-7 pay a total of 35 million.