Grizzled Veteran

woooo! Works on the laptop....Now, time to leave for a few hours
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 07:22 PM   #602
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
I'm not one bit confused. As is normally the case, I was very specific, and said precisely what I meant to say.

I did not say you misspoke, I said you were mistaken in your belief that what you would do is what any sane person would do. Contrary to your perception, the two are not necesarily the same.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:04 PM   #603
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Sensible is such a subjective word, though... I'm sure SkyDog defines it such that a sensible person would do what he would do.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 09:01 PM   #604
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Is anyone else having a difficult time finding the game? I went to three stores in the Baton Rouge area today and they were all sold out
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 09:11 PM   #605
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana
this may or may not be a bad thing...it may indicate that the AI isnt actually aware of everything going on in your country. i always got the feeling from the higher levels on civ3 that the computer was always aware of my troop strenghs in various cities, because they would alway stop their invasion short of my strongly defended points.

Ah, I hadn't thought of that. Perhaps at the level I'm playing at, the AI can't see inside my cities like I can see inside his? For me, I can see exactly what units the Russians have to defend their cities with from two or more squares away. Maybe at the Warlord/Noble level that I'm playing at, the human has an advantage in this regard.

That would explain the stupid moves by their settler as well, and perhaps even their lack of response to my raiders, although that one seems to be a bit off no matter what angle I look at it from.

twothree: Thank you! I'll give that a try. I looked on the keyboard guide and in the manual, but didn't see anything there. I'll take a look at the online help later tonight.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 09:23 PM   #606
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
Is anyone else having a difficult time finding the game? I went to three stores in the Baton Rouge area today and they were all sold out

I went to three stores locally with no luck, but ended up driving the extra four miles to Best Buy to snag it once my philosophy test ended.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 09:49 PM   #607
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
Sounds like there might be a fix for the renderer problem

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...9&pagenumber=1

Thanks. It still didn't work for me, though. Not a big deal, since I want to run it on my desktop more anyway, which gets the black-squares instead of terrain problem. SkyDog, did you ever get that one beat?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 09:57 PM   #608
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:

try circuit city
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 11:55 PM   #609
dixieflatline
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
Early Impression:

The single-player game offers much-improved artificial intelligence that seems to cheat much less than in previous games, or not at all.

p. 167 under "AI freebies"
Quote:
On higher difficulty levels, the AI begins receiving extra units to start the game

There is a bunch more free/quicker stuff the AI gets on higher levels listed on that page. This is what I define as "cheating". If you don't feel it's cheating then that's fine we just have different definitions. But it's clear that as you move up in difficulty it's this that makes the game harder. Not "better" AI.
dixieflatline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 12:03 AM   #610
dixieflatline
High School Varsity

So the game crashed on me tonight when I had built a wonder. The pop-up started and the game crashed. I went beck to the autosave the turn before and it kept crashing. I tried a bunch of things and what ended up working was updating the driver on my video card. I just guessed at that from reading this thread about how much others were having trouble with the video card. Anyway, in case you game crashes randomly when a pop up happens something to check out.
dixieflatline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 12:12 AM   #611
Galaxy
Coordinator

Anyone try online?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 12:18 AM   #612
SackAttack
Head Coach

Not yet, but I want to.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 12:19 AM   #613
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieflatline
p. 167 under "AI freebies"

There is a bunch more free/quicker stuff the AI gets on higher levels listed on that page. This is what I define as "cheating". If you don't feel it's cheating then that's fine we just have different definitions. But it's clear that as you move up in difficulty it's this that makes the game harder. Not "better" AI.

more questions and answers can be found here
http://games.slashdot.org/games/05/...?tid=206&tid=11

Quote:
1. The Civ4 AI - by Skyshadow
My only question for Civ4 concerns the AI: Have you made it a crafty enough opponent yet that it can compete at the higher skill levels of the game without resorting to the "cheating" that we've seen in previous incarnations of the game? If so, how?

Soren Johnson:
A great deal of effort has been put into making the Civ IV AI the best yet. For the first time ever, we have received direct input from the world's best Civ players during the game's development, via a very selective, closed beta that began very early. This feedback allowed us to iterate on the AI's design much more quickly and effectively than ever before.

Much of the information cheating has been removed from the game (such as knowing where a resource is before it is discovered, sending off galleys with settlers to undiscovered lands, targeting cities with fewer defenders, etc.) Further, the heuristics it uses to make decisions, such as for diplomatic demands and declarations of war, are the same ones available to the player (such as from the power chart on the Demographics screen). However, as with all versions of Civ, the AI has production and research penalties at the lower levels and bonuses at the higher levels. The level of the bonuses are lower than they have ever been before; in fact, the AI never receives any bonuses whatsoever for building wonders - a far cry from the "free AI wonders" in Civ 1. Noble and Prince are the difficulty levels where the AI's rules are closest to the human
Old 10-28-2005, 02:11 AM   #614
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Well, it's 2AM and here I am again, second night in a row. Yikes, I'll be sleepy at work tomorrow.

This game rocks.

And by the way, the AI seems very good at picking effective promotions for its units. I've taken all the Russians cities except for Moscow, but they have six armies of longbowmen specially trained for urban combat and two armies of spearmen to cut up my knights.

The Russians' last stand looks to be heroic. But I shall take their capital, no matter the cost. It will be mine! Our cities are building massive catapults to pound it to rubble. Then we'll send crossbowmen to wear them down more. Finally, waves of knights will roll over anything left standing. Russia shall fall.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 08:05 AM   #615
KWhit
Coordinator

Has anyone found the game for less than $49-$50?
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 08:22 AM   #616
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit

I talked to a buddy of mine in California last night and he picked it up at Fry's for around $40. (Don't remember if he said it was $37 or $39).
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 08:49 AM   #617
KWhit
Coordinator

I usually wait until a big price drop to get a game (I'm just now playing Half-Life 2 and Far Cry) but I'd like to get in on the inevitable FOFC multi-player games that will be happening before long.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:05 AM   #618
Butter
Coordinator

So I picked up a new video card, and it works... but it's still painfully slooooooowwww, as I only got a 64 MB RAM video card... I'm thinking about taking this card back and picking up an even better one I found elsewhere for about the same price that is 128 MB, and buying some more RAM (I have 512 MB right now)... all based on what my wife will be telling me about the game today. I tweaked a couple of things this morning to try and coax it to run a bit better... but my God, they went a bit overboard with the graphics on this one.

I did put in a 2 hour session last night, and didn't see where you could change how many Civs you were up against in a single player game, so I've got 9 opposing Civs on a HUGE map... is the number of opposing Civs in a single player game always static based on map size, or did I miss an options screen or something?
Old 10-28-2005, 10:26 AM   #619
twothree
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69
is the number of opposing Civs in a single player game always static based on map size, or did I miss an options screen or something?

From the Main Menu select Single Player, then select Custom Game instead of Play Now.
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 10:30 AM   #620
vex
Grizzled Veteran

So that no one misses the FOFC multiplayer signup:

http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~fof/foru...ad.php?t=44005
Old 10-28-2005, 10:36 AM   #621
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twothree
From the Main Menu select Single Player, then select Custom Game instead of Play Now.

Thanks!
Old 10-28-2005, 10:49 AM   #622
Calis
College Starter

Sigh.

Just picked this up, this makes 4 games I've bought in the last two weeks, where I had gone a good number of months without getting one previously.

Of course now is also when I have the least amount of time to actually play games. It makes no sense. It's Civilization though, I couldn't stop myself. Life can wait.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 05:56 PM   #623
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis
Sigh.

Just picked this up, this makes 4 games I've bought in the last two weeks, where I had gone a good number of months without getting one previously.

Of course now is also when I have the least amount of time to actually play games. It makes no sense. It's Civilization though, I couldn't stop myself. Life can wait.

Same here. I spent over $750 on bb cards this week and so I wasn't going to skimp on paying $50 for a game. I just hope that I can be enthusiastic to play any games which I haven't been for a good part of the year.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 07:24 PM   #624
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:

yes circuit city this week has it for 49.99 but you get a $10 gift card with it.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:27 PM   #625
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I just brought Civilization IV home. I'm not sure if I'm going to install it tonight or not.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:31 PM   #626
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
I just brought Civilization IV home. I'm not sure if I'm going to install it tonight or not.

but the AI will love you if you do
Old 10-28-2005, 08:35 PM   #627
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Oh believe me, you will install it. Then you will play it until about 2am

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 08:42 PM   #628
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
but the AI will love you if you do
Well played.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:42 PM   #629
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Just play the tutorial

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 08:43 PM   #630
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhog
Just play the tutorial

NO. NO. I will be up until 2am!!
Old 10-28-2005, 10:12 PM   #631
Eilim
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
NO. NO. I will be up until 2am!!

and thats on the conservative side.

Don't forget to toggle on the clock... and alarm, if needed.
Eilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 10:35 PM   #632
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Thankfully, I don't have to get up very early tomorrow. I can get up as late as about 11:30 and still get my tasks done for the day. I need to be at the bank by noon, I'll be at a football game at 1:00 if the weather is nice, and then there's bowling at midnight. I could nap after the football game if necessary. I'm still thinking about it.

If anybody's wondering which football game, it's just the showdown between the NAIA doormat Seton Hill Griffins (1-7) and the Division II Charleston (WV) Golden Eagles (6-3). Go Griffins!

(we don't stand a chance)
Old 10-28-2005, 11:50 PM   #633
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Can you not abandon a city?
Old 10-30-2005, 09:49 PM   #634
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Does the collector's edition shown for ordering on outpost.com include the game, or is it just the extras? (I'd presume the former, but I'd like to make sure before I order.)

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Old 10-30-2005, 09:59 PM   #635
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

i was told by the guy at EB that the collectors edition is simply the normal game in a cool box. Nothing extra (except the box) and was only available to pre-order folks.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 10:48 PM   #636
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well the Special Edition has the CivIV Soundtrack, a spiral bound manual, a tech tree poster, and a keyboard shortcut poster. Not sure what the Regular Edition has.

And yes, of course, the game (why wouldn't it include the game?).
Old 10-30-2005, 11:06 PM   #637
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

The price is right, so I just wanted to make sure before I ordered it.

Old 10-30-2005, 11:09 PM   #638
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday
The price is right, so I just wanted to make sure before I ordered it.

$36.99?
I don't think I can pass that up
Old 10-30-2005, 11:10 PM   #639
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

OK, not quite as good as I thought once shipping is factored in, but I'll go for it anyway.

Last edited by Mr. Wednesday : 10-30-2005 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Not actually a dola
Old 10-31-2005, 07:48 AM   #640
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
Well the Special Edition has the CivIV Soundtrack...

This is the first game I've played where that would interest me. I have only played 1.5 games so far, but I really like the soundtrack - especially the main theme. I really like that piece of music a lot. Very well done, IMO.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:39 PM   #641
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
This is the first game I've played where that would interest me. I have only played 1.5 games so far, but I really like the soundtrack - especially the main theme. I really like that piece of music a lot. Very well done, IMO.

Yeah, I love the main theme too. I can visualize an Affrican grassland with a bunch of tribes people holding spears and jumping up and down and dancing and stuff.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 02:03 PM   #642
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic
Yeah, I love the main theme too. I can visualize an Affrican grassland with a bunch of tribes people holding spears and jumping up and down and dancing and stuff.

I always picture a bunch of Broadway guys dancing in their Lion King tights ... but I think I like your vision better.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 10:12 PM   #643
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

well, outpost still has that 36.99 price for the collectors edition, and when I asked my wife to talk me out of it, she told me to get it. so I guess I can't hold off anymore.

plunging away...
Old 10-31-2005, 10:14 PM   #644
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
well, outpost still has that 36.99 price for the collectors edition, and when I asked my wife to talk me out of it, she told me to get it. so I guess I can't hold off anymore.

plunging away...

You'll be glad you did.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 10:17 PM   #645
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
You'll be glad you did.

I'll also be glad I have a job where I can play games at work on my laptop...
Old 11-01-2005, 08:43 AM   #646
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

I'm gonna ask a total noob question here, but I haven't played Civ before but I am kinda curious.

Is this a game where you, to relate it to a sports game, have a dynasty or career mode and basically go until you've been defeated in a war? Or does Civ play in more of a "season" type mode where you play to an ending point?
Old 11-01-2005, 08:46 AM   #647
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

You start in the BC times, and you play straight through to present/near time future times, a certain amount of years go by each turn. There is a time limit at 2050AD. If you hit the time limit whoever has the highest score wins. You can also win by conquest(war), culture, space race, diplomatically(unite the world under you) and other ways I believe. You can pick and choose the winning conditions and remove the time limit altogether if you like.

Last edited by jeff061 : 11-01-2005 at 08:53 AM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 08:46 AM   #648
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVick7
I'm gonna ask a total noob question here, but I haven't played Civ before but I am kinda curious.

Is this a game where you, to relate it to a sports game, have a dynasty or career mode and basically go until you've been defeated in a war? Or does Civ play in more of a "season" type mode where you play to an ending point?

Not sure I fully understand the question. There is definitely an end point (several victory conditions actually) like total domination, first in space etc... You can turn these conditions on or off. But you always have the option of continuing (indefinitely I believe) if you want to continue on until you've conquered the world. You just run out of tech advances/new units to build at some point.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 08:51 AM   #649
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Thanks guys, that helps me understand a lot better.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:39 AM   #650
Passacaglia
Coordinator

You can technically keep going after you've conquered the world, can't you? Although, you just have no opponents.

Anyway, the only thing that HAS to end the game is the destruction of your entire civilization -- you can "lose" wars, as long as you still have a few cities left. Everything else is customizable, so that even if a certain "victory condition" is met, that civ doesn't win. Basically, you can pick which of the victory conditions will actually result in a victory in your game. There are several, and at this point, I don't even think I have them all memorized.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote