Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-31-2008, 05:36 PM   #551
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
This is a good day for Walker and for New Mexico State. I think it's a terrific hire. He's a natural head coach, and I think he'll do well there. Like Gill hopefully will soon, I am certain Walker will take this job and use it to move on to a hire profile, likely BCS school in the near future.

Think he'll be able to recruit good players (at least for WAC standards) in the Southern California region?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:56 PM   #552
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Think he'll be able to recruit good players (at least for WAC standards) in the Southern California region?

I think this is very likely, especially if New Mexico State has somewhat low admission standards. A ton of low 3 star/high 2 star kids in the LA City area every year that the WAC and MWC schools battle over, which I believe is where Walker did most of his recruiting (along with Eric Scott). Interesting to see if they get on some of the kids that don't have offers from Pac-10 schools right away, like Melvin Richardson from Poly (good looking running back, academics are scaring some of the bigger schools away but I think he has a decent chance of qualifying)
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:58 AM   #553
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Here is an interesting rumor:

Browns DC Mel Tucker may be next in line to be the Wolverines DC. He was on OSU's staff and has ties to Ohio power GLenville, coached by Ted Ginn Sr, a school UM never gets talent from (with some expections)

I give it a small shot, but OSU fans have heard rumblings as well.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:48 PM   #554
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Ed Oregeron has apparently backtracked and after agreeing to head to LSU, will be headed to Tennessee as originally rumored.

Very odd.

He's a used car salesman type and Tenn offered him more money. He is telling friends he wanted to be at LSU, but money talks. I think he will regret it. LSU offered him a stable job as Assistant head coach/Recruiting coordinator/DL coach with more money than almost all college coordinators make. UT is giving him more money and an extra title, DC in waiting. O should take coordinator money and be an assistant coach/recruiter as long as possible, because he will never have the organizational mind to be DC. So he will either be a poor DC when Monte retires, or he will have to find a way to work well with God knows who when Monte retires and Tenn hires a new DC.

As a LSU supporter, I wanted him mostly for his motivational ability but we should be ok. We are fine with recruiting without him, and still have a couple of NFL positional coaches that we will go after for the open defensive positions.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:56 PM   #555
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Sounds like Sarkisian was finally able to convince Nick Holt to leave USC and come to the UW to be his defensive coordinator. Press conference scheduled for 3PM Pacific time.

Even considering how much control Carroll has over the USC defense, this is a pretty impressive hire for Sarkisian to go with his earlier poaching of Jim Michalczik from Cal to be his Offensive Coordinator/Offensive Line coach.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:11 PM   #556
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Sounds like Sarkisian was finally able to convince Nick Holt to leave USC and come to the UW to be his defensive coordinator. Press conference scheduled for 3PM Pacific time.

Even considering how much control Carroll has over the USC defense, this is a pretty impressive hire for Sarkisian to go with his earlier poaching of Jim Michalczik from Cal to be his Offensive Coordinator/Offensive Line coach.

Great hire for UW. I'm sad to see Holt go.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 01-05-2009 at 04:12 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:12 PM   #557
Klinglerware
College Starter

Jacksonville Jaguars assistant Tom Williams reportedly will be Yale's new head coach...
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:17 PM   #558
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Apparently the Lions and a few other NFL teams, along with the Raiders, are interested in interviewing Jim Harbaugh.

Interesting.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:23 PM   #559
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware View Post
Jacksonville Jaguars assistant Tom Williams reportedly will be Yale's new head coach...
Congrats to Williams! He was briefly on staff at the UW and was one of the few real "bad-asses" working for Neuheisel. He has experience at Stanford as well which should help prepare him for working an Ivy League school. I'll be obligated to root for Harvard in their yearly matchup due to my fiance being an alum, but otherwise I'll wish Williams success.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:24 PM   #560
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Apparently the Lions and a few other NFL teams, along with the Raiders, are interested in interviewing Jim Harbaugh.

Interesting.
It wouldn't surprise me if Harbaugh knows he's a hot commodity now and figures there's only so much better he can make Stanford, so why not strike while the iron is hot?
Old 01-05-2009, 05:31 PM   #561
MrBug708
Head Coach

Supposedly Harbaugh doesnt get along with many people in the AD and both sides almost want him to leave
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:35 PM   #562
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Supposedly Harbaugh doesnt get along with many people in the AD and both sides almost want him to leave
If that's true, I wonder when Stanford is going to be relevant again in football. Harbaugh is a coach they should be very happy to have if they care about competing in football.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:08 PM   #563
Swaggs
Coordinator

Harbaugh seems more like a college football guy than an NFL coach to me. In any case, I cannot see any promising, current head coach in college leaving for the Raiders' job.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:37 PM   #564
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Harbaugh seems more like a college football guy than an NFL coach to me. In any case, I cannot see any promising, current head coach in college leaving for the Raiders' job.
No kidding - who would want to deal with that mess? That said, by nature coaches usually have big egos, so maybe Harbaugh's is big enough that he thinks he can succeed in spite of Davis. And regardless, it didn't really end up hurting Lane Kiffin that much to have taken that job (though I suppose the lure of bringing Monte Kiffin in as a package deal was part of it...)
Old 01-05-2009, 07:52 PM   #565
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Hey, Terry Bowden jumped back in the coaching mix.... At Division II North Alabama no less.

Wow.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:57 PM   #566
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

To nobody's surprise, Carl Smith was officially named Assistant Head Coach of the Offense and QB Coach at USC today.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:09 PM   #567
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post

His brother is a head coach in the NFL, and if their anything like most brothers i know, that means he thinks he can be a head coach in the NFL.
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:47 PM   #568
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Tough day for Minnesota who loses both coordinators.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:54 PM   #569
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MylesKnight View Post
Hey, Terry Bowden jumped back in the coaching mix.... At Division II North Alabama no less.

Wow.

Quite a splash. What happen to the former head coach?

Kind of sad that a Division II program did better than big-time Auburn in its coaching search.

Last edited by Galaxy : 01-06-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:57 PM   #570
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

No official statement, but it sure seems like Jags is gone from BC, as he interviewed with the Jets.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:02 PM   #571
MJ4H
Coordinator

I actually think Auburn will turn out ok since they got a heck of an offensive coordinator to go with Chizik, whose strength is defense.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 02:41 PM   #572
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Globe Article

School spokespersons just passed out a press release to reporters titled, "Boston College Terminates Employment of Football Coach Jeff Jagodzinski," meaning the firing is official.

Jagodzinski, who is not present, made a statement in the release

Quote:
Originally Posted by espn article

Defensive coordinator Frank Spaziani likely will be named the interim head coach at some point, sources told ESPN's Wendi Nix. Spaziani has been a Boston College assistant for 12 years, the past 10 as defensive coordinator

Yay! Bring on the Spaziani era!!

Sounds like Jags didn't even bother to show up to have a face-to-face meeting and get fired. Little weasel.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 01-07-2009 at 02:44 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 02:42 PM   #573
Logan
Head Coach

Huh?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:35 PM   #574
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
I actually think Auburn will turn out ok since they got a heck of an offensive coordinator to go with Chizik, whose strength is defense.

I don't know... Good coordinators can make an average coach look good, but Chizik looked SO horrid at ISU, and the other coaches/coaching staffs are so good in the SEC... I just find it hard to believe that this will go well for Auburn. I hope I am wrong though, the rest of the teams in the West are better off when Alabama and Auburn are on the same level.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:44 PM   #575
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

In reference to DeTox's comment about Minnesota, Auburn has hired Ted Roof as their DC.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:39 AM   #576
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Yay! Bring on the Spaziani era!!

Sounds like Jags didn't even bother to show up to have a face-to-face meeting and get fired. Little weasel.

Frankly, if my employer was being an asshat and I already knew he was going to fire me, I sure as hell wouldn't bother to meet up with him either.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:06 AM   #577
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Tough day for Minnesota who loses both coordinators.

Not the best of days. Losing Roof could hurt as he seemed to do a solid job last year with a defense that's still lacking a lot of talent. Word is Kevin Cosgrove, who was a candidate last year for DC, is the likely replacement. Not exactly an exciting hire, hopefully he's been studying how to stop the spread. He could wind up as Co-Defensive Coordinator with current DL coach Tim Cross.

As far as Dunbar, not exactly sure if he was pushed out, but it was likely at least somewhat mutual after Tim Davis was brought in as run game coordinator. A lot of fans weren't happy with Dunbar for the offensive production this season, but hard to put all the blame on him when the offensive line was terrible and there wasn't much after Decker at WR for most of the season.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:45 AM   #578
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

USC promoted Seto to Defensive Coordinator, Norton to Assistant Coach of the Defense, and have hired Jethro Franklin as Defensive Line Coach. Franklin was in Houston for Mario Williams turn around which should be a nice selling point. Furthermore, Laurence Jackson and Sedrick Ellis comment very positively on his development of their abilities.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:50 PM   #579
MJ4H
Coordinator

Former Michigan State and Louisville head coach John L. Smith is about to be announced as Lorenzo Ward's replacement as secondary coach at Arkansas. Wow.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:19 AM   #580
Butter
Coordinator

Get Ryan Leaf up there, and maybe they can fill out a staff full of head cases.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:16 AM   #581
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Rumors are Greg Robinson is the top choice for Michigan DC. He interviewed for the job but might be waiting to hear about an NFL gig.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:01 AM   #582
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Greg Robinson will be named Michigan DC.

Abjet failure as a head coach, decent resume as a DC.

Will be interesting.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:00 AM   #583
Logan
Head Coach

For the love of god make sure he has no recruiting responsibilities.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:04 AM   #584
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
For the love of god make sure he has no recruiting responsibilities.

The position coaches will handle the recruiting. Robinson will just do visits, both at school and in home, and I am sure he won't be alone so I don't worry there.
Hell, Shafer didn't recruit here either, so yeah, that isn't a concern.

I think he'll be okay. His one year at UT was good, and I suspect with similiar athletes he can do here what he did there.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:15 PM   #585
BishopMVP
Coordinator

UMass just hired the ex-OC Kevin Morris. Consensus reaction among fans is somewhere between abject failure and a capitulation and acknowledgment UMass won't be trying stay nationally competitive in the future.

The man went 24-32 at (local D3) WPI and was essentially fired for cheating after his team forfeited games. Since then he's been an OC who has done nothing but call for halfback passes in the pouring rain and in critical situations and hold the team back. Our offensive success was entirely in spite of him, and it's a disgrace that he was even considered for the job, let alone hired.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 04:21 PM   #586
mckerney
Coordinator

Former Broncos WR coach Jed Fisch is Minnesota's new offensive coordinator.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:44 PM   #587
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I love this comment by Jay Cutler about USC's new Assistant Head Coach of Offense/QB Coach Jeremy Bates:

“Jeremy is one of the best offensive minds in football. He was extremely innovative with our offense and took our playbook to the next level with some of the things he did, keeping defenses off balance and changing our look but at the same time keeping it simple for us players. Some of the things he did were amazing to watch. He was always watching other teams and coming up with new ideas for our offense. He helped me grow into my third NFL season and helped me reach the Pro Bowl along with some of the other goals I set for myself. As a unit, our offense became one of the most productive in the league with Jeremy calling plays. He brought a lot of excitement to the meeting room and on the field. He made me want to come to work every day and get better. Jeremy will do great things in his new role, and USC couldn’t have picked a better guy.”
Old 01-20-2009, 07:09 PM   #588
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Miami could target Martinez for defensive coordinator opening | [email protected]

Miami has an opening for a defensive coordinator and is expected to target Georgia assistant coach Willie Martinez for the position, according to a published report in South Florida.

As of this evening, however, Georgia coach Mark Richt said no one from Miami has contacted him about Martinez, associate athletic director Claude Felton said.

Martinez, 45, the Bulldogs defensive coordinator since 2005 and its secondary coach since 2001, played defensive back for the Hurricanes' 1983 national championship team and was a graduate assistant in 1985-86.

Miami has a vacancy to run its defense after Oklahoma State announced Tuesday that Bill Young was hired as defensive coordinator after one season with the Hurricanes.

The Hurricanes are "expected to have interest," in Martinez, according to the Miami Herald story. Martinez was born in Coral Gables, Fla.. and went to Hollywood Hills High School.

Georgia's defense ranked in the top 20 in scoring defense and total defense from 2005-07 but Martinez was heavily criticized by fans during this past season when the Bulldogs finished 59th in scoring defense and 22nd in total defense in 2008. Opponents averaged 24.5 points per game against Georgia.

Miami finished 7-6 this past season, ending with three straight losses. The Hurricanes are 12-13 in two seasons under head coach Randy Shannon.

Martinez did not return a message left Tuesday afternoon. Richt is out of town recruiting.

Martinez interviewed for the head coaching job at Florida International in Miami in November of 2007 before withdrawing his name.

On behalf of the rest of the ACC I can only say please make this hire.

Although some Georgia folks say the only way they'll let Martinez go without a fight is if Miami also takes Dennis Felton in the deal.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:27 PM   #589
Klinglerware
College Starter

Looks like Mark Whipple is going to Miami-FL as Offensive Coordinator.

He did a great job resurrecting Brown's program in the 90s and was known for his high-falutin' "Whip-lash" offense. I think his offense will put up the points, but the downside is that he's had a reputation for being a bit mercenary and for running a loose ship when it comes to his players' disciplinary problems.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:32 PM   #590
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
He did a great job resurrecting Brown's program in the 90s and was known for his high-falutin' "Whip-lash" offense. I think his offense will put up the points, but the downside is that he's had a reputation for being a bit mercenary and for running a loose ship when it comes to his players' disciplinary problems.

Forgive me but I'm having a tough time picturing the thug life at Brown.

Yeah, I know, there's other types of disciplinary problems. But given Miami's history, it just seemed as though there might be at least a couple of different scales of disciplinary problems.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:50 PM   #591
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Forgive me but I'm having a tough time picturing the thug life at Brown.

Yeah, I know, there's other types of disciplinary problems. But given Miami's history, it just seemed as though there might be at least a couple of different scales of disciplinary problems.

Yeah, it's all relative I guess. The number of incidents involving athletes at Brown is probably much lower relative to other schools. But under Whipple's watch, there were more problems (including assaults). I am a Whipple fan, and I hope it's just unlucky coincidence, but disciplinary problems weren't as much of an issue at Brown before he came or since he left...
Old 01-26-2009, 07:15 PM   #592
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Looks like Mark Whipple is going to Miami-FL as Offensive Coordinator.

He also won a national championship at UMass in 1998. He didn't come off as a mercenary around here - the fallout was over UMass refusing to make the necessary movement up to D1A. It does sound like he desperately wants to be a D1A head coach, but its coaching - what do you expect? Plus Shannon seems like a disciplinarian, so I don't think Whipple even needs to get involved in that aspect. The only bad rumor I've heard is that part of the reason Patrick Nix sucked was because Shannon thought his playbook was too complex and made him cut it in half. I think it's a fantastic hire if they can compartmentalize the team well enough (Whipple has sole power over the offense, Shannon can work with the defense and be the head coach.)

Last edited by BishopMVP : 01-26-2009 at 07:18 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:06 PM   #593
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Bad news for the UW coaching staff today as offensive coordinator and O-line coach Jim Michalczik is leaving to take a job with Tom Cable and the Oakland Raiders.

Michalczik was one of the key hires to Sarkisian's staff at the UW - replacing him will be difficult.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:25 PM   #594
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
So the powers that be at Texas Tech set a deadline of last night for Mike Leach to sign his contract extension. Leach replied that he'll be happy to coach the remaining two years on his contract. Will be interesting to see if he gets canned for not signing an extension.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:31 PM   #595
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
So the powers that be at Texas Tech set a deadline of last night for Mike Leach to sign his contract extension. Leach replied that he'll be happy to coach the remaining two years on his contract. Will be interesting to see if he gets canned for not signing an extension.

Canning him would be just as bad a move as Boston College firing their coach for interviewing for a NFL HC job. Dangerous precedent to set as a program.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:02 PM   #596
miked
College Starter

It sets an interesting and uneasy precedent. According to the news, they added a 1.5M buyout clause, can fine him for talking to other teams, only guaranteed 10% should they fire him, and get all the money from any speaking fees he gets. All seemingly added at the last minute. And if he doesn't sign it they are going to fire him? I never knew somebody could get fired for not liking the terms of an extension offer.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:11 PM   #597
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
It sets an interesting and uneasy precedent. According to the news, they added a 1.5M buyout clause, can fine him for talking to other teams, only guaranteed 10% should they fire him, and get all the money from any speaking fees he gets. All seemingly added at the last minute. And if he doesn't sign it they are going to fire him? I never knew somebody could get fired for not liking the terms of an extension offer.

Well, I'm sure he'll be fired under the terms of his existing contract. It's unlikely to be "for-cause" so there will be some kind of buy-out (or not) depending on the terms of their previous agreement. I'm sure that at default, Texas is an at-will employment state.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:19 PM   #598
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Word on the street is that Tech has already approached Arizona's OC Sonny Dykes to be head coach. His dad, Spike Dykes, was coach at Texas Tech before being replaced by Leach.

In a twisted way, I can see Leach actually wanting to be fired. Next year is going to be a rebuilding year at Tech, and I don't see them coming close to their level of success next season. In fact, I see them fighting it out for 4th in the Big 12 South with Baylor. If he gets fired, he'll have to sit out a year, and the hiring folks with short memories will think back to their 2008 run, and figure without him, that's why the 2009 team struggled. If he stays at TT next year and struggles, then his "hot coach" Q drops.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:35 AM   #599
Galaxy
Coordinator

Talk about stupid by Tech.

The guy has taken the Red Raiders to 9 bowls in his 9 seasons and put the program on the map.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:38 AM   #600
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Too bad the East Carolina job wasn't open...the Leech could really be a Pirate.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote