Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-04-2007, 08:34 AM   #551
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez View Post
Pats pretty lucky on those 4th down plays. Any of them go the other way, and that's ball game. Kudos to the Ravens.

I was brimming with confidence a few weeks back about at least going 16-0. Now, the other teams are getting injections of confidence seeing both Birds' teams getting close. The Steelers are going to be jacked next week. If the game was in Pitt, I would be feeling a lot uneasier. Dolphins and Jets stand no chance. I'm not sure what I think about NYG in NY. They can rush the passer, but the rest of the team, I dunno.

I think the Pats have a above average chance of going undefeated but I also think more importantly they will definitely get knocked out of the Playoffs maybe ina oone and done situation. THis is mainly because they are kind of like those Nebraska Cornhusker teams of the 80s that would be beat teams like Central Western Iowa A&E 92-2. When I look at who the Pats have beaten ther than a beaten up and injury riddled Colts team by a FG and the Cowboys which would have been alot closer if the pats didn't run the score up at the end. So, I will not be surprised if a wildcard comes in an upsets the Pats. Whoa re the AFC wildcards Titans and Jags: tough defensive teams that rush the passer and run the ball well. That is the type of team that seems to give the Pats some trouble.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:11 AM   #552
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

But Indy fans are calling Jacksonville a "2nd rate AFC team".. I personally would love to see someone new from the AFC other than the Indy/NE/Pittsburgh group that seems likely to go once again. I think I'm personally rooting for Jax now (especially since my team seems to never have a chance of being good)
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:14 AM   #553
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

As a Denver fan, it's difficult for me to say this, but I think it would be absolutely hilarious if Norv Turner coached the Chargers to the Super Bowl this season. That would be the greatest thing in the history of history.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:12 AM   #554
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Let me say it before I read it in every newspaper and on the sports radio stations from Maine to Rhode Island:

" The Pats showed great perserverance and overcame there poor play to beat the Ravens"

Why do you live in the Boston area?
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 01:24 PM   #555
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
Why do you live in the Boston area?

Well, for one I was born and raied here but left after college and traveled the world working in the Air Force and another government agency later. And moved back here only in the last couple of years after my dad became sick and subsequently passed away. I also had a great job opportunity in Boston itself. But, I am getting ready to buy ahome and move out to the subs of Denver. So, if my living here offends sorry
Old 12-04-2007, 01:54 PM   #556
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Well, for one I was born and raied here but left after college and traveled the world working in the Air Force and another government agency later. And moved back here only in the last couple of years after my dad became sick and subsequently passed away. I also had a great job opportunity in Boston itself. But, I am getting ready to buy ahome and move out to the subs of Denver. So, if my living here offends sorry

It doesn't offend me one way or the other. I was wondering why you lived there when you have an obvious dislike for the region.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 02:33 PM   #557
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Sorry if this has already been posted, I looked but didn't see it in the thread.
The name of the official caught my eye because I actually remember him playing for the Falcons. The highlighted portion on the other hand gave me a decent chuckle.

http://www.ajc.com/falcons/content/s...slur_1204.html
NFL ref accused of slur
Ravens' Rolle says former Falcon McKinnely called him 'boy'

ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published on: 12/04/07

New York — The NFL is looking into a postgame comment by Baltimore cornerback Samari Rolle, who contends an on-field official called him "boy" during the Ravens' 27-24 loss to New England.

Rolle identified the official by his number rather than by name following the Monday night game, which was marked by several disputed officiating decisions.

"The refs called me a boy," Rolle said, according to a transcript of postgame comments provided to the media by the Ravens. "No. 110 called me a boy."

Both Rolle and the official, identified in the NFL official guide as head linesman Phil McKinnely, are black. The 54-year-old McKinnely played in the NFL as an offensive tackle from 1976-82. He spent five seasons with Atlanta and one each with the Rams and Chicago.

"I will be calling my agent in the morning and sending my complaint," the 31-year-old cornerback added. "I have a wife and three kids. Don't call me a boy. Don't call me a boy on the field during a game because I said, 'You've never played football before.'"

The Ravens were demonstrative after the game about the officiating, especially on the final drive that led to Tom Brady's pass to Jabar Gaffney for the winning touchdown with 44 seconds left. After the touchdown, set up by a fourth-down defensive holding call on Rolle, linebacker Bart Scott was penalized 15 yards for complaining and another 15 yards for throwing the official's flag.

"In a game of this magnitude, you don't make that kind of call," Rolle said. "Let the players decide the outcome of the game. You can crown them champions now. I'm not taking anything away from them. They are a great team. They're not asking the refs to help them, but it's just an empty feeling."
Old 12-04-2007, 02:41 PM   #558
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Who else fails to act like a professional while doing their job? Oh yeah, that would be kids.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 03:21 PM   #559
st.cronin
General Manager

Ok, just finished watching the game.

Fuck The Ravens. I hope they never win another game.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 03:24 PM   #560
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
"In a game of this magnitude, you don't make that kind of call," Rolle said. "Let the players decide the outcome of the game. You can crown them champions now. I'm not taking anything away from them. They are a great team. They're not asking the refs to help them, but it's just an empty feeling."

A game of this magnitude? The only reason I can see for it being a game of "this magnitude" is because the OTHER team is really good. Awesome.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 03:28 PM   #561
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I once told a coach to quit whining about calls cause he sounded like a baby...wasn't the smartest thing I ever did in my officiating career. I got a call from the commish on that one.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 04:15 PM   #562
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
It doesn't offend me one way or the other. I was wondering why you lived there when you have an obvious dislike for the region.

It is really weird after leaving this area fort a long time I came back and realized (generalization here) that most here in the area are very provincial racist and not very worldly. It just really rubs me the wrong way that along with the famous Boston polite demeanor of folks especially drivers.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:00 PM   #563
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
When I look at who the Pats have beaten ther than a beaten up and injury riddled Colts team by a FG and the Cowboys which would have been alot closer if the pats didn't run the score up at the end.

Um ... what?

Of course it would have been closer if the Pats hadn't scored more points than the Cowboys did in the 4th quarter. Makes no sense.

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:02 PM   #564
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Sorry if this has already been posted, I looked but didn't see it in the thread.
The name of the official caught my eye because I actually remember him playing for the Falcons. The highlighted portion on the other hand gave me a decent chuckle.

http://www.ajc.com/falcons/content/s...slur_1204.html
NFL ref accused of slur
Ravens' Rolle says former Falcon McKinnely called him 'boy'

ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published on: 12/04/07

New York — The NFL is looking into a postgame comment by Baltimore cornerback Samari Rolle, who contends an on-field official called him "boy" during the Ravens' 27-24 loss to New England.

Rolle identified the official by his number rather than by name following the Monday night game, which was marked by several disputed officiating decisions.

"The refs called me a boy," Rolle said, according to a transcript of postgame comments provided to the media by the Ravens. "No. 110 called me a boy."

Both Rolle and the official, identified in the NFL official guide as head linesman Phil McKinnely, are black. The 54-year-old McKinnely played in the NFL as an offensive tackle from 1976-82. He spent five seasons with Atlanta and one each with the Rams and Chicago.

"I will be calling my agent in the morning and sending my complaint," the 31-year-old cornerback added. "I have a wife and three kids. Don't call me a boy. Don't call me a boy on the field during a game because I said, 'You've never played football before.'"

The Ravens were demonstrative after the game about the officiating, especially on the final drive that led to Tom Brady's pass to Jabar Gaffney for the winning touchdown with 44 seconds left. After the touchdown, set up by a fourth-down defensive holding call on Rolle, linebacker Bart Scott was penalized 15 yards for complaining and another 15 yards for throwing the official's flag.

the thing that gets me is that their both black...somehow I don't really know if he has a leg to stand on here.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:03 PM   #565
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

heyyy...i hit grizzled vet. That's awesome
Old 12-04-2007, 08:21 PM   #566
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Boy is a racist or offensive term now? Would he have been alright with the ever dependable Asshat?

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:35 PM   #567
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Boy is a racist or offensive term now? Would he have been alright with the ever dependable Asshat?

oh I can see boy as a racist term. From an old white guy to a black guy, in the south, in the 60's. But in the new milennium...in baltimore, from one black guy to another?
Old 12-04-2007, 09:23 PM   #568
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN View Post
Um ... what?

Of course it would have been closer if the Pats hadn't scored more points than the Cowboys did in the 4th quarter. Makes no sense.

Your a Pats fan so you will disagree but a lot of people think the Pats ran the score up at the end. What I mean is a lot of teams have the chance to add insult to injury at the ends of games and don't . The Pats as has been discussed adnauseum accussed of doing it for no apparent reason except apparently to be ass:o
Old 12-04-2007, 10:28 PM   #569
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It is really weird after leaving this area fort a long time I came back and realized (generalization here) that most here in the area are very provincial racist and not very worldly. It just really rubs me the wrong way that along with the famous Boston polite demeanor of folks especially drivers.

I am not quite sure I follow here.. are you saying provincial racist that people in the area are racist, or are you saying that people here are overly regionalistic in regards to anything from the area?

If the former, before I moved here I always had heard that Boston showed more racism than most other large cities, but my experience has been the exact opposite and have not encountered really anyone who has been anything bad to my wife at all..

If the latter, then I can see where you are coming from.. I hear it on the radio and tv all day, that the center of the universe revolves around the Boston teams, they should be expected to be the best by everyone, they don't do any wrong and its tough for people to understand why the rest of the country can not embrace them...

but honestly is that different than anywhere else? I've lived in three cities in my life.. Atlanta, Dallas and now here. In Atlanta, you always heard it from all those awful UGA fans, and in Dallas it was the Cowboys... So I guess I am not quite sure where you are coming from on this statement
Old 12-04-2007, 11:42 PM   #570
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I am not quite sure I follow here.. are you saying provincial racist that people in the area are racist, or are you saying that people here are overly regionalistic in regards to anything from the area?

If the former, before I moved here I always had heard that Boston showed more racism than most other large cities, but my experience has been the exact opposite and have not encountered really anyone who has been anything bad to my wife at all..

If the latter, then I can see where you are coming from.. I hear it on the radio and tv all day, that the center of the universe revolves around the Boston teams, they should be expected to be the best by everyone, they don't do any wrong and its tough for people to understand why the rest of the country can not embrace them...

but honestly is that different than anywhere else? I've lived in three cities in my life.. Atlanta, Dallas and now here. In Atlanta, you always heard it from all those awful UGA fans, and in Dallas it was the Cowboys... So I guess I am not quite sure where you are coming from on this statement

Provincial and racist seperate issues. Being from the area I never noticed until I left and came back here with my wife, who is Asian and kids. Than I started to notice it nothing overt but definitely there maybe only in subtle ways. Now this is a generalization I have met a lot of poeple who aren't. Also, my wife agrees that Boston metro area is fine it's when you get outside rte 128 that it is worse. Who knows maybe we are just assholes but when ever we travel to other places it is totally different.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:05 AM   #571
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Your a Pats fan so you will disagree but a lot of people think the Pats ran the score up at the end. What I mean is a lot of teams have the chance to add insult to injury at the ends of games and don't . The Pats as has been discussed adnauseum accussed of doing it for no apparent reason except apparently to be ass:o

You still make no sense. To be able to "run up the score," you have to be that much better than the team you're playing, but you somehow argue that the Pats running up the score against the Cowboys means they are not that much better than the Cowboys?????????????????
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 01:54 AM   #572
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
You still make no sense. To be able to "run up the score," you have to be that much better than the team you're playing, but you somehow argue that the Pats running up the score against the Cowboys means they are not that much better than the Cowboys?????????????????

Yeah, I see you point. I am not a Cowboys fan so the Cowboys game is one that is not a great example. And to be honest I hate the pats too much to keep at this so you guys are all right the Pats are the greatest and most morally correct team ever.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:20 AM   #573
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Provincial and racist seperate issues. Being from the area I never noticed until I left and came back here with my wife, who is Asian and kids. Than I started to notice it nothing overt but definitely there maybe only in subtle ways. Now this is a generalization I have met a lot of poeple who aren't. Also, my wife agrees that Boston metro area is fine it's when you get outside rte 128 that it is worse. Who knows maybe we are just assholes but when ever we travel to other places it is totally different.

I think you're way off base - only place I've ever felt uncomfortable due to the color of my skin is down in Hicksville, Georgia. Boston may have been racist in the past, but its non-existent today.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 02:50 AM   #574
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
I think you're way off base - only place I've ever felt uncomfortable due to the color of my skin is down in Hicksville, Georgia. Boston may have been racist in the past, but its non-existent today.

I am not sure where you live in Mass but like I said Boston is fine suburbs little different. YMMV
Old 12-05-2007, 03:10 AM   #575
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Yeah, I see you point. I am not a Cowboys fan so the Cowboys game is one that is not a great example. And to be honest I hate the pats too much to keep at this so you guys are all right the Pats are the greatest and most morally correct team ever.

This post actually deserves a "whatever." The posts in here addressing your comment were strictly about how you interpreted the Cowboys game. Nobody was talking about whether the Pats are the greatest, and certainly most of the Pats fans here (including me) have criticized the Pats on the moral issues. So, you should try getting your head out of your ass before you accuse people of something they are not. I think your comment that you "hate" the Pats and then bail on a debate about your football acumen in deciding the quality of a team's performance says all it needs about the quality of your opinions on the subject. I suspect your opinion on the racist character of Boston is probably similarly lacking any foundation.

Last edited by Vinatieri for Prez : 12-05-2007 at 03:11 AM.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 06:40 AM   #576
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I am not sure where you live in Mass but like I said Boston is fine suburbs little different. YMMV

I've not ever lived in Boston city limits.. I've lived in Westborough, Milford, Holland Mass and now Grafton... I can't recall one time anyone has even made my wife uncomfortable at all. Maybe people are saying stuff behind our backs or something though.. no idea
Old 12-05-2007, 09:45 AM   #577
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
This post actually deserves a "whatever." The posts in here addressing your comment were strictly about how you interpreted the Cowboys game. Nobody was talking about whether the Pats are the greatest, and certainly most of the Pats fans here (including me) have criticized the Pats on the moral issues. So, you should try getting your head out of your ass before you accuse people of something they are not. I think your comment that you "hate" the Pats and then bail on a debate about your football acumen in deciding the quality of a team's performance says all it needs about the quality of your opinions on the subject. I suspect your opinion on the racist character of Boston is probably similarly lacking any foundation.

Thanks for your opinion and as far as the the racist stuff your comment doesn't surprise me since people here all live in a state of denial on the issue plus with the area 95% white why give a shit about other races. No, and coming from the area Mass. people are openly racist like in KKK way but like I said more subtle adn in a exclusionary way. But, assuming you are caucasian, I don't see it fair in your calling my experience "lacking in foundation"? Also this has a lot to do with walking in someone else's shoes. On the Pats, sure I will admit my rantings get a tad irrational at times due to my great dislike of them. I will simplify my remarks in saying they are a great team and will most likely win the SB but are certainly beatable.

Last edited by Galaril : 12-05-2007 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:51 AM   #578
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Gee thanks for your opinion and for on the racist stuff I am not go any further since as I have seen people in this area will believe what ever they want to. Enjoy living in neverever fairy land.

Is that comment meant for me? I haven't said anything nasty to you at all. I actually talked to my wife this morning about this because I was interested in your perspective and asked her if she noticed anything that I hadn't noticed. In our conversation, the only time we ever could even remember was one conversation we heard of two elderly ladies talking bad about some brazillian in a line at target that upset them. Even then, it wasn't overly racist as much as I think the girl just annoyed the old lady.

I honestly was interested in your viewpoint on the subject, but if this is your response, I question if you just have some form of agenda or something and aren't even open to conversation on the subject. I have no ties to this area other than my job which is the main reason i am here. i actually wish I could be back south where the weather is warmer, more of my friends live, more of my family lives and all of my sports teams play... Just because people don't agree with you doesn't mean you need to lash out at others.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:55 AM   #579
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I've not ever lived in Boston city limits.. I've lived in Westborough, Milford, Holland Mass and now Grafton... I can't recall one time anyone has even made my wife uncomfortable at all. Maybe people are saying stuff behind our backs or something though.. no idea

Same these days.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:17 AM   #580
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I went to Boston looking for racism, because all my boys was like, "Don't go to Boston!" And you know what? It ain't all that bad. I show up at the airport wearing all my black brother shit, and the white guy at the airport says, "Sir, is this your bag?" I yell back, "YEAH, THAT'S MY FUCKIN' BAG! WHAT? A BLACK MAN CAN'T HAVE A SUITCASE?" And dude's all like, "What the fuck is wrong with this guy?"
Old 12-05-2007, 10:28 AM   #581
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I went to Boston looking for racism, because all my boys was like, "Don't go to Boston!" And you know what? It ain't all that bad. I show up at the airport wearing all my black brother shit, and the white guy at the airport says, "Sir, is this your bag?" I yell back, "YEAH, THAT'S MY FUCKIN' BAG! WHAT? A BLACK MAN CAN'T HAVE A SUITCASE?" And dude's all like, "What the fuck is wrong with this guy?"

So I take it you enjoyed the anal cavity search.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:50 AM   #582
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
So I take it you enjoyed the anal cavity search.
You're just hoping that I'll tell a funny story about an anal cavity search, and I'm not going to do it. Do you know why? Because there are no funny stories about an anal cavity search, especially my anal cavity search, which was actually quite delightful and led me to be given the nickname "Jennifer Shuttlecock."
Old 12-05-2007, 11:02 AM   #583
molson
General Manager

Boston is filled with college students and people in their 20s. It's a very liberal, tolerant city these days. Maybe there's some old-school racist fisherman in Brockton or something, but the racist reputation just doesn't fit anymore.

It was a very different story 40 years ago, from what I understand, but I think the reputation is preserved by people who just otherwise don't like the region for some reason.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:18 AM   #584
rkmsuf
Head Coach

How many black guys in The Departed? How about Good Will Hunting?

Don't remember a black guy in Mystic River. Blown Away as I recall featured white guys.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:25 AM   #585
molson
General Manager

Galaril, I missed where you said (outside 128)

I'm not going to lie to you, there's a lot of shitholes out there, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if there's some backwards people there (10-15 years ago more than now).

I grew up in Fitchburg - blue collar, horrible schools, and the racial demographic changed there in a hurry. I can see some of the older French whites there being "grumpy" about that.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:29 AM   #586
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Fever Pitch. Yeah a lot of black guys in that one too.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:36 AM   #587
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Fever Pitch. Yeah a lot of black guys in that one too.

Ellis Burks was on the 2004 Red Sox team briefly.. maybe he made an apperance in that movie?
Old 12-05-2007, 11:39 AM   #588
MikeVic
Head Coach

Troy O'Leary.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:42 AM   #589
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Troy O'Leary.

Quote:
Ellis Burks was on the 2004 Red Sox team briefly.. maybe he made an apperance in that movie?

Neither one of those guys is listed in the credits. Racism abounds.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:04 PM   #590
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

man this is some bullshit. the bruins had the first black player in the nhl, but they had to go get some blind motherfucker who couldnt see a damn thing. even worse than that, them racists didn't even know he was blind cuz they aint know shit about the black man's plight.

BOSTON DOESN'T CARE ABOUT BLACK PEOPLE
Old 12-05-2007, 12:05 PM   #591
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
How many black guys in The Departed? How about Good Will Hunting?

Don't remember a black guy in Mystic River. Blown Away as I recall featured white guys.

Anthony Anderson in The Departed. Laurence Fishburne in Mystic River.

Which Blown Away are you talking about? The Jeff Bridges/Tommy Lee Jones version had Forrest Whitaker in it. Two years earlier there was a version with the obviously racist Corey Haim and Feldman. No black people in it, but plenty of Nicole Eggert (and Kathleen Robertson) nudity to ease my white liberal guilt.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:12 PM   #592
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Anthony Anderson in The Departed. Laurence Fishburne in Mystic River.

Which Blown Away are you talking about? The Jeff Bridges/Tommy Lee Jones version had Forrest Whitaker in it. Two years earlier there was a version with the obviously racist Corey Haim and Feldman. No black people in it, but plenty of Nicole Eggert (and Kathleen Robertson) nudity to ease my white liberal guilt.

Ok, they threw a couple token black guys in there. Not by choice mind you.

Does it get any whiter than Legally Blonde? Suddenly no black people at Harvard Law.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:16 PM   #593
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Ok, they threw a couple token black guys in there. Not by choice mind you.

Does it get any whiter than Legally Blonde? Suddenly no black people at Harvard Law.

Yeah, they didn't even get a black female best friend for the main character. Instead, they picked Selma Blair, who is much less interesting when she's not kissing Sarah Michelle Gellar.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:16 PM   #594
rkmsuf
Head Coach

The one movie starring a black man in Boston, Soul Man, didn't even feature a real black guy.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:21 PM   #595
rkmsuf
Head Coach

How many black guys you ever see on Cheers?

Evidentially black people don't drink beer in Boston.

Last edited by rkmsuf : 12-05-2007 at 12:22 PM.
rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:22 PM   #596
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
How many black guys you ever see on Cheers?

Evidentially black people don't drink beer in Boston.

Does Nick Tortelli count?
Old 12-05-2007, 12:23 PM   #597
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Plus, compare The Departed/Boondock Saints Irish Catholic Boston to the reality of Southie these days... ever since Whitey left that place isn't exactly all Irish anymore, except on St. Patty's day. Those movies are about as accurate a representation of today's Boston as the "Boston" accents attempted by half the actors (especially the actresses - Parmiga in The Departed, Marisa Tomei in Mystic River. Hideous.) Gone Baby Gone at least pulled real people out of Dorchester (you just can't find extras that ugly in Hollywood!)

The claim that suburbs are racist against Asians in particular is kind of shocking to me. I'm sure there are the subtle things that appear racist as the rich white women try to assuage their guilt by acting different around others, but my town had a much more significant asian population that blended in than any hispanic or black people, for what that's worth.

Then again, Galaril also seems to think Massachusetts extends beyond 128, so he clearly doesn't know what he's talking about regarding Boston

Last edited by BishopMVP : 12-05-2007 at 12:25 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:24 PM   #598
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
The one movie starring a black man in Boston, Soul Man, didn't even feature a real black guy.
How High?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:26 PM   #599
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Asians are ok I think. Lesbians too. Lucy Lui and Portia De Rossi were on Ally McBeal. No black people though.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:27 PM   #600
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

When is the last time New England had a black QB?