Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-15-2007, 05:10 AM   #551
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Some awful shot selection by the Cavs there in the final 1:00. Still happy to escape with a victory. Wince Carter has jumped the shark, I'm impressed with the defensive performance that Sasha is turning in on him.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 08:11 AM   #552
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Stoudamire and Diaw knew the rules. They should have been happy that Horry did that and sat their asses down on the bench with a big smile on their faces. They were about to have game 5 at home against a Spurs team that would be a man down. Very stupid to leave the bench.

Note: I should add that I don't like zero tolerance policies like this one, but if it's there, then you're stupid for not following it, especially during the playoffs.

Didn't see the "fight" and selected this to quote...but without a dog in this, those guys better get suspended if they stepped one foot off the bench. Yes it's different than leaving the bench by a foot while celebrating a big shot, as Blade asked, because the rules don't say "if you step a foot off the bench while cheering, you will be suspended one game." Other guys have been suspended in the past for setting a foot on the court with no clear objective to get at anyone, so they better keep this consistent.

This rule has been bullshit since it became a big deal during the '97 Knicks-Heat series (a year I think might have finally been the Knicks' year if they didn't lose their starting lineup over the last 2 games of the series). The more times players get suspended for it and people think its BS, the better chance it will finally go away.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:42 AM   #553
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Rule No. 12 -- Fouls and Penalties
Section VII -- Fines
c. During an altercation, all players not participating in the game must remain in the immediate vicinity of the bench. Violators will be suspended, without pay, for a minimum of one game and fined up to $35,000.
The wording "vicinity of the bench" is interesting. If a player is going towards the scorers table to check in, they may step on the floor - yet they are considered still "on the bench". Here's what we know:

1. Seconds after the play the Suns told Craig Sager that Amare was checking in.
2. The PA announcer in SA stated that he saw Amare taking off his warmups seconds before the Nash hit.
3. Amare stated he was told before the inbounds that he would be going in during the next dead ball in an offense-defense switch for kurt Thomas.

Now, do I think Amare was *really* checking in when he stepped towards the middle area? No, of course not. But there is enough information here to allow the league to state that Amare was trying to check in (and therefore still in the bench vicinity) and not suspend him. On the other hand, I think Diaw is done for game 6. He went further on the court than Amare and there's no excuse for his steps.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:08 AM   #554
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Amare was heading to the scorer's table to get subbed in
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:30 AM   #555
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Wow, Jalen Rose just stated to the media that when Elson hung on the rim and ended up with an altercation with James Jones after a dunk that Tim Duncan stepped on the floor from the bench.

He said he saw it live and on tape this morning. This certainly makes things interesting....

Last edited by Arles : 05-15-2007 at 10:30 AM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:36 AM   #556
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Wow, Jalen Rose just stated to the media that when Elson hung on the rim and ended up with an altercation with James Jones after a dunk that Tim Duncan stepped on the floor from the bench.

He said he saw it live and on tape this morning. This certainly makes things interesting....

I know there was a camera pointed at the Spurs bench, I'm just waiting for the footage to appear today to show how many of them did the same.

I wouldn't be suprised if we see Amare and Diaw suspended for one game and Rob gone for 2 or 3.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:59 AM   #557
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnDvls View Post
I know there was a camera pointed at the Spurs bench, I'm just waiting for the footage to appear today to show how many of them did the same.

I wouldn't be suprised if we see Amare and Diaw suspended for one game and Rob gone for 2 or 3.
This was a different play - it occurred at 9:08 in the second quarter. Elson dunked and got kind of undercut by James Jones. Both players started shoving and Duncan (and it looks like one other hard to identify Spur) clearly stepped on the court (almost to the 3-point line) from the bench.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:03 AM   #558
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
This was a different play - it occurred at 9:08 in the second quarter. Elson dunked and got kind of undercut by James Jones. Both players started shoving and Duncan (and it looks like one other hard to identify Spur) clearly stepped on the court (almost to the 3-point line) from the bench.

I know you were refering to another play

I was just saying I'm waiting for the camera shot of the Spurs bench from the same time Cheep Shot Rob cross checked Nash into the table.

anyhow it'll be interesting on how the NBA handles this one now...and to think it all could have been avoided if they would have done something with Bowen and his trick knee on Nash. Remember Bell got suspended for one game for "attempting" to knee someone where Bowen actually did it...though they did raise the foul called on him to a Flagrent Foul 1
Old 05-15-2007, 12:42 PM   #559
SnDvls
Pro Starter

"In a play that went entirely unnoticed until well after the game was over, both Duncan and Bowen actually left San Antonio's bench early in the second quarter after Francisco Elson and James Jones were entangled. Replays clearly show Duncan walking several steps onto the court as Elson and Jones appeared to be ready to get into it. Bowen then followed Duncan onto the floor, grabbed him and led him back to the bench. If the league does indeed follow the letter of the law, both Spurs players would also be suspended for Game 5. "

Steve Kerr talks about what Arles mentioned above in his latest yahoo.com article.

So now does the NBA follow the rule to the letter of the law or just hand out some fines? It will be interesting.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:43 PM   #560
Warhammer
Pro Starter

If anyone other than Horry gets suspended, Horry's suspension should be for multiple games.

If any Suns players are suspended, Duncan should be suspended as well.

The Spurs have gotten to be quite a dirty team. I'm surprised they have the squeaky clean image they have.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:17 PM   #561
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I think they ought to suspend everyone near the court and let Jalen Rose and Matt Bonner play a game of HORSE to decide who wins game 5.

The NBA is becoming a joke if multiple suspensions come down.

Last edited by Arles : 05-15-2007 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:20 PM   #562
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
I think they ought to suspend everyone near the court and let Jalen Rose and Matt Bonner play a game of HORSE to decide who wins game 5.

The NBA is becoming a joke if multiple suspensions come down.

I would actually be much more likely to watch THAT than an actual nba game.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 02:14 PM   #563
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Baron Davis didn't get suspended so I guess we might see a trend.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:12 PM   #564
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Didn't see the "fight" and selected this to quote...but without a dog in this, those guys better get suspended if they stepped one foot off the bench. Yes it's different than leaving the bench by a foot while celebrating a big shot, as Blade asked, because the rules don't say "if you step a foot off the bench while cheering, you will be suspended one game." Other guys have been suspended in the past for setting a foot on the court with no clear objective to get at anyone, so they better keep this consistent.

This rule has been bullshit since it became a big deal during the '97 Knicks-Heat series (a year I think might have finally been the Knicks' year if they didn't lose their starting lineup over the last 2 games of the series). The more times players get suspended for it and people think its BS, the better chance it will finally go away.

"
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 04:16 PM   #565
Arles
Grey Dog Software

There's one major difference in last night to the Knicks-Heat melee. In the Knicks case, the event had numerous "flagrant fighting fouls and ejections" and was therefore a fight. In last night's case, there were no flagrant fighting fouls or ejections for the after-the-play situation with Horry, Nash, Bell and others. Therefore, it isn't a fight and can't be compared directly to other events that were fights.

Last edited by Arles : 05-15-2007 at 04:16 PM.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:26 PM   #566
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Notice the ref separating Elson from James Jones in the second image. How is that not an altercation if the ref stops play and needs to separate two players?

Old 05-15-2007, 04:50 PM   #567
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
There's one major difference in last night to the Knicks-Heat melee. In the Knicks case, the event had numerous "flagrant fighting fouls and ejections" and was therefore a fight. In last night's case, there were no flagrant fighting fouls or ejections for the after-the-play situation with Horry, Nash, Bell and others. Therefore, it isn't a fight and can't be compared directly to other events that were fights.

Agreed, and I was just using that as a case where the rule really became well-known. But the rule doesn't say "fight" -- it says "altercation." I don't have the NBA rulebook in front of me, but do they define what an altercation is?

I can't think of other instances of this rule off-hand, but I generally remember guys getting suspended for coming off the bench during non-fighting situations.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:57 PM   #568
miami_fan
Coordinator

Suspend Duncan too!

Like I said, I hope no one gets suspended and both teams get to settle this series on the court with their full complement of players. But the rule and the way David Stern has enforced this rule has been clear. I think by not suspending them, Stern opens himself up to the "superstars get preferential treatment" commentary that he hates.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 05-15-2007, 05:57 PM   #569
Jas_lov
College Starter

Sportscenter just announced Horry gets 2 games, Stoudamire and Diaw 1 game. No mention of Duncan or Bowen. I'm rooting for the Spurs so I can't complain, but there's going to be some uproar over this in Phoenix because Duncan and Bowen essentially did the same thing as Stoudamire and Diaw and didn't get suspended.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 06:02 PM   #570
Blade6119
Coordinator

Thats just bullshit...
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 06:10 PM   #571
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

i hate the nba
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 06:10 PM   #572
st.cronin
General Manager

So the NBA is now openly fixing games?

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 06:18 PM   #573
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Suspend Duncan too!

Like I said, I hope no one gets suspended and both teams get to settle this series on the court with their full complement of players. But the rule and the way David Stern has enforced this rule has been clear. I think by not suspending them, Stern opens himself up to the "superstars get preferential treatment" commentary that he hates.

I agree 100% with each of your sentences. I don't know how this could have been swept under the rug under the guise of "common sense."

FYI, I haven't seen the incident with Duncan outside of the pictures in this thread, so I don't know how the two compare.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:32 PM   #574
SnDvls
Pro Starter

well it's crap that nothing has happened to Duncan and/or Bowen...yet, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:35 PM   #575
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post

Now? Did you watch the Lakers-Kings a few years ago?
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 06:35 PM   #576
Atocep
Coordinator

Wow, I don't even know what to say about this. Amare and Diaw, but not Duncan and Bowen? I can't wait to see Stern try to justify this one.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 06:38 PM   #577
Logan
Head Coach

I just realized that this thing called YouTube got invented, so I went over there and watched the clip of Duncan coming onto the court.

Quote:
Notice the ref separating Elson from James Jones in the second image. How is that not an altercation if the ref stops play and needs to separate two players?

After watching the video, it's clear that the ref didn't actually separate the two players. James Jones was out of the picture when the ref came in to talk to Elson. I don't see how it can be defined as an altercation, when there was no contact between the two players besides the initial undercutting (which looked 100% unintentional in my eyes, after all, Elson swung his body back around and on top of James by hanging on the rim).

Compare that to the Horry incident, when all of the players gathered up after, and Horry delivered a shot to Bell. Also Arles, I believe it was you who earlier said there were no flagrant fouls issued during the Horry thing...I'm not sure if you missed it, or if it was one of those "after-the-fact" calls, but the articles on the suspension say that Bobert got a flagrant.

I don't like it at all...but unless there is a clear-cut definition somewhere of what is and isn't an "altercation," I don't think the NBA messed up. And that sucks, because a rule like this obviously has a tremendous role in the entire playoffs now. I just hope, like I said earlier, that this is another way for the elimination of this rule to gather steam.

Last edited by Logan : 05-15-2007 at 06:42 PM.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:51 PM   #578
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post

They've been doing it for years.

After watching a lot of the playoffs this year, I'm convinced there is a clear cut way to win games:

1) Foul on every possession, both offensive and defensive. I mean every single one. Go over the back, set moving screens, shove people openly. Club people. EVERY possession, EVERY time. No exceptions.

2) Now this is very, very important. You can't do #1 without also doing #2. Cry like a wounded four year old whenever a foul is called on you. I'm not talking about a little crying or a shoulder shrug. I'm talking about going up to the ref and crying for thirty seconds. Again, do this on every foul. No exceptions.

That's it. Just keep doing those two things. The Utah Jazz, San Antonio Spurs and Detroit Pistons are incredibly successful at it. All of them foul repeatedly. The thing is, the fouls aren't called at the end of the game. In the final 4 minutes all of these teams get away with whatever they want with impunity.

As far as the cheap shot rule, they need to make some major adjustments to the rule:

1) First and foremost, if you commit a cheap foul with under 2 minutes left in the game OR your team +/- 15, you are suspended for 20 games. End of discussion. The NBA continues to punish the team victimized by the cheap shot more than the team who commits it. This has to stop. It's happened twice this year. In NY, Collins gets suspended for a handfull of games while the Nuggets season is imploded. In SA, the Suns now are decimated while the Spurs lose a role player. It's BS and the NBA should be smart enough to understand it.

2) If you leave the bench, you get suspended. Again, end of discussion. Both ways though. Tim Duncan should get suspended, so should Bruce Bowen.

None of these things will happen. The NBA does openly fix games. They don't even try to hide it anymore. It's ridiculous how the games are managed and how certain teams get away with murder while others aren't allowed to walk onto the court. Carmelo got called for four offensive fouls in the biggest game of the Nuggets/Spurs series. In game 3 of the Suns/Spurs series Amare gets cheap foul after cheap foul called on him while Bowen abuses people on every possession and gets 2 fouls in 39 minutes.

My only hope is that Stern calls it quits and I can start paying more attention to a game I really love. As of now, the hockey playoffs are about 25x better and I'm awaiting the start of the NFL season.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 06:55 PM   #579
Groundhog
Coordinator

Why exactly would the NBA fix it so that the Spurs win over the entertaining Suns? I have a feeling that Stern would MUCH rather the Suns playing in the finals than a Spurs-Pistons matchup.

As much as I personally disagree with the Phoenix suspensions, they did break the rules, so I'm not going to complain too much about it.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:07 PM   #580
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Now? Did you watch the Lakers-Kings a few years ago?

or Lakers-Spurs, where that guy got a 3 second shot off in .4

Last edited by stevew : 05-15-2007 at 07:07 PM.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:10 PM   #581
SnDvls
Pro Starter

look for next year in the playoffs to see a lot of late hard bench clearing fouls by many teams 11th or 12th man on stars of the other team...the NBA has set it self up to reward this kind of play now, unless they correct their "off the bench" rule this offseason.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:38 PM   #582
miami_fan
Coordinator

I hope the Bulls, Pistons, Jazz, Warriors, Cavs and Nets have all talked to their players about their behavior for the rest of the playoffs. There will be a overraction by the refs to any hard fouls/cheap shots. I expect flagrants and T's to be handed out at a pace that would make Joey Crawford cringe.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:43 PM   #583
RGunner
High School JV

How is the NBA getting out of hand with suspensions? Last year they were WAY worse. Stackhouse got suspended in the finals for a foul on Shaq that I have seen committed at least twice this playoffs without even a fine. Davis doesn't get suspended for an obvious cheap shot to Fisher, Richardson even admitted he wasn't going for the ball he was trying to take him out, nothing. You're in the NBA, you know the rules, don't leave the bench. Nash can take care of himself, there's not gunna be a huge brawl, don't be an idiot and leave the court thinking you have to run to check on him like hes a little kid. I think its dumb that a stupid foul by Horry is going to ruin alot of this series, but rules are rules...If you break a rule in your workplace, but have a good reason why, it doesn't matter, you're still in trouble...as Shaq said on the postgame last night, do the crime, do the time.
RGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:46 PM   #584
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGunner View Post
Nash can take care of himself, there's not gunna be a huge brawl, don't be an idiot and leave the court thinking you have to run to check on him like hes a little kid.

True. 99% of NBA "fights" emulate women swinging their purses at each other to get the most discounted items at a huge sale. Outside of Rudy T, has anyone ever been hurt in an NBA altercation?
Old 05-15-2007, 09:21 PM   #585
miami_fan
Coordinator

So the Pistons did not learn anything from last year?
Old 05-15-2007, 09:24 PM   #586
Groundhog
Coordinator

I'm not watching the game, but looking at the box score the Bulls are just shooting the lights out... don't know if it's just due to soft D or what, but I don't know that there's much you can do about it when a team is hitting 60+% from the field.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:42 PM   #587
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I'm not watching the game, but looking at the box score the Bulls are just shooting the lights out... don't know if it's just due to soft D or what, but I don't know that there's much you can do about it when a team is hitting 60+% from the field.

The Pistons really came out lackadaisical tonight. No rotations on players going to the hole. Wide open shots all over the place.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:48 PM   #588
Atocep
Coordinator

And here's how they defend the decision....

Quote:
The Suns countered by saying that Duncan and Bruce Bowen were guilty of a similar leaving-the-bench offense in Game 4's first half when San Antonio's Francisco Elson fell on the Suns' James Jones after a dunk. That play was also reviewed, but Jackson -- while conceding that Duncan "should not have been on the playing court" -- said that the league determined there was "no cause for the suspension rule" to be applied because the Elson-Jones tangle was not deemed to be an altercation.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:53 PM   #589
Logan
Head Coach

Won't be popular, but it works for me.

I'm curious if anybody would care about this if Horry-Nash never happened.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:01 PM   #590
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Won't be popular, but it works for me.

I'm curious if anybody would care about this if Horry-Nash never happened.

My problem with Duncan and Bowen not being suspended is it creates grey area in what was supposed to be a very cut and dry rule.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:10 PM   #591
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
My problem with Duncan and Bowen not being suspended is it creates grey area in what was supposed to be a very cut and dry rule.

I don't see how exactly. Jackson stated that one player falling over another, and that being the end of everything, as they didn't get in each other's faces or have to be separated by the refs, does not meet the NBA's definition of an altercation.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:16 PM   #592
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

What I want to know is, why exactly is Horry-Nash a bigger deal than Davis-Fisher or Richardson-Okur, both of which are IMO inarguably worse and all those guys are playing as we speak.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:19 PM   #593
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
What I want to know is, why exactly is Horry-Nash a bigger deal than Davis-Fisher or Richardson-Okur, both of which are IMO inarguably worse and all those guys are playing as we speak.

Especially Davis/Fisher. How Baron Davis is playing tonight I have no idea. Completely escapes all logic and justice.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:58 PM   #594
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
I don't see how exactly. Jackson stated that one player falling over another, and that being the end of everything, as they didn't get in each other's faces or have to be separated by the refs, does not meet the NBA's definition of an altercation.

Looked to me like Duncan stepped on the floor anticipating an altercation, though. If they determined that there is wasn't an altercation he should at least been fined because he had no business being on the floor in that situation.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:05 PM   #595
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Looked to me like Duncan stepped on the floor anticipating an altercation, though. If they determined that there is wasn't an altercation he should at least been fined because he had no business being on the floor in that situation.

Exactly. Regardless of whether it was actually an altercation, what the heck was Duncan doing on the floor? We all know why. That alone should get him suspended, as he certainly violates the spirit of that rule, if not the letter.

But, of course, the NBA makes awful decisions like this day in and day out. Gotta rush to protect good ole boy Duncan.

And this coming from an acknowledged Suns hater.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 11:11 PM   #596
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I don't know why the Suns are worried.....they have a 2 time MVP on their team, and he wasn't suspended.

All bitterness aside, it's lame to suspend people for playoff games. Fine the hell out of them and suspend them for a long time if they hit someone after coming off the bench. A silly way to possibly decide a series.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:17 PM   #597
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

Totally agree.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:18 PM   #598
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I found this Utah Jazz seating chart....

Old 05-15-2007, 11:34 PM   #599
kingfc22
Head Coach

Jackson needs to stop shooting. Brick. Brick. Brick.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:38 PM   #600
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Speaking of the NBA, has anyone else picked up Paul Shirley's new book? I'm enjoying it a lot, and if you're the type that liked his diaries on ESPN- you will too.

http://www.amazon.com/Can-Keep-Jerse...9290323&sr=8-1
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote