Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-30-2007, 08:40 PM   #551
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Hey Devils fans, did the refs at least buy you dinner before they bent you over like that?
Old 04-30-2007, 08:47 PM   #552
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Hey Devils fans, did the refs at least buy you dinner before they bent you over like that?
I only watched the third period, so I didn't get shit.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:36 PM   #553
kingfc22
Head Coach

Sharks win! Only got to see the last 2 minutes, but it was enough for me. Hopefully we take game 4 and push the Wings to the brink.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:16 AM   #554
Hurst2112
College Starter

FU Todd Bertuzzi. FU and you idiocy. FU and your desire to put yourself ahead of your team.

Bench him. Better yet, scratch him. I'd rather lose because of him not on the roster than lose because of his attitude.

Maybe if this happens, Lang will get the hint as well.

Last edited by Hurst2112 : 05-01-2007 at 11:17 AM.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 11:42 AM   #555
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112 View Post
FU Todd Bertuzzi. FU and you idiocy. FU and your desire to put yourself ahead of your team.

Bench him. Better yet, scratch him. I'd rather lose because of him not on the roster than lose because of his attitude.

Maybe if this happens, Lang will get the hint as well.

I have missed most of the playoffs - what has he done?

Last edited by bob : 05-01-2007 at 11:42 AM. Reason: typo
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 11:50 AM   #556
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
I have missed most of the playoffs - what has he done?

He has a goal and 3 assists in the playoffs. What chaps my ass is the stupid elbow he put on Clowe (I think).

He took another penalty late in the game too. Granted, the PP goal was scored on Draper's penalty but Todd showed his classic colors with that elbow to the head. Sucks.

Wings HAD that game.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:52 AM   #557
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post

im liking the way the devils are reacting to this loss.

we played the exact game we wanted to, but ott blocks shots like a motherfucker.

we can obviously run with this team, just got to buckle down and get to it. no whining like ottawa did after brylin's goal.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 11:53 AM   #558
Hurst2112
College Starter

BTW, Lankow impressed me last night. He stepped up from last week.

Marleau came to life last night too.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:21 PM   #559
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

About the Devils, I've noticed something this season that unsettles me. There's really not much in the way of setting up plays in the offensive zone. I mean, particularly in this series against Ottawa so far, the Devils get to the offensive zone, dump into the corner or take one shot, and then the puck goes back the other way. Centering passes are useless because there's never time for anybody to get in front of the net.

I guess this is how the Devils design their attack, but it only seems to work in the playoffs if Scott Gomez is the one leading the breakout. If anybody else brings the puck in, there's no sustained attack. I'm not sure what to make of this. For the most part, all of the forwards have had significant playing time together. Every single forward who's played in the playoffs (except for Clarkson and his cameo) appeared in 60+ games this year. There's got to be some level of cohesion there, and I'm not seeing it on the attack.

I hate to say it, but there are long stretches when the Devils look like they're not even trying on offense. There are other times where they put big flurries together, and Pyser's right about the way the Senators block shots, but it's really unnerving when the Devils seem to be completely uninterested in trying to get near Ottawa's net.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:45 PM   #560
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i agree, pumpy. actually, the devils seem to have changed a couple things since the end of the regular season, but i cant tell if its a natural evolution, or things lou has changed since he took over as coach.

the pp, for instance, is quite different. they just start rushing up whenever they get the puck. during the regular season, they would set up shop behind their own goal, wait for gomez to come back and pick up the puck, and skate up 5 across. now its just half assed every rush.

that said, game 3 was a julien coached game if i ever saw one. if the devils never took a shot, it seemed fine by them.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:45 PM   #561
Pyser
Pro Rookie

dola

ive never screamed "SHOOT THE PUCK" as much at the devils as i have this post season....and that is REALLY saying something.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:38 PM   #562
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Two out of two Devils fans agree: New Jersey needs to shoot the puck more.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:49 PM   #563
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
About the Devils, I've noticed something this season that unsettles me. There's really not much in the way of setting up plays in the offensive zone. I mean, particularly in this series against Ottawa so far, the Devils get to the offensive zone, dump into the corner or take one shot, and then the puck goes back the other way. Centering passes are useless because there's never time for anybody to get in front of the net.

I guess this is how the Devils design their attack, but it only seems to work in the playoffs if Scott Gomez is the one leading the breakout. If anybody else brings the puck in, there's no sustained attack. I'm not sure what to make of this. For the most part, all of the forwards have had significant playing time together. Every single forward who's played in the playoffs (except for Clarkson and his cameo) appeared in 60+ games this year. There's got to be some level of cohesion there, and I'm not seeing it on the attack.

I hate to say it, but there are long stretches when the Devils look like they're not even trying on offense. There are other times where they put big flurries together, and Pyser's right about the way the Senators block shots, but it's really unnerving when the Devils seem to be completely uninterested in trying to get near Ottawa's net.

I felt from the start of the year that they were lacking the sort of player that would ignite that offense at the right times and it shows. Their experience is the only thing keeping them alive, but it's almost as if I watch games now and have the expectation that the run will be over before it starts.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 08:03 PM   #564
Logan
Head Coach

1-0 Rangers as the 3rd period is about to begin. Great game so far. Buffalo is starting to fly and draw penalties, so I'm nervous...
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 08:17 PM   #565
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Nice goal by Shanny...2-0
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 08:18 PM   #566
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Buffalo answers quick...wow
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 08:22 PM   #567
Logan
Head Coach

Yeah, that was an exciting 33 seconds.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:41 PM   #568
Logan
Head Coach

Potential tying goal under review with 13 seconds left.

Please be inconclusive.

And a major storm just started...I'm terrified of losing power.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:42 PM   #569
kingfc22
Head Coach

I say goal, but it's not conclusive.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:43 PM   #570
Logan
Head Coach

NO GOAL!!!!

Hold on boys!
Old 05-01-2007, 08:43 PM   #571
bhlloy
Coordinator

Holy crap... that puck is over the line. Who cares? Go Rangers!
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 08:44 PM   #572
Logan
Head Coach

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

All tied up.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:51 PM   #573
Logan
Head Coach

I'm posting from my work laptop right now because my cable (and cable modem) went out roughly 4.7 seconds after this game ended. This is probably the happiest I've ever been with no TV.

Last edited by Logan : 05-01-2007 at 08:52 PM.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:52 PM   #574
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

At work so I can't see the game/replay but....

Go Rangers!

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 08:55 PM   #575
Logan
Head Coach

If I had to guess, I would say that puck was fully over the line. But luckily, that image was blinded by Henrik's pad. The frame just before wasn't enough.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:01 PM   #576
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I was expecting MUCH more of a meltdown from Ruff. I'm so disappointed.

I don't get the NHL sometimes. It is 2007. And yet, whenever there is a question on a goal, the referee goes over and talks on a 30-year old beige phone through a hole in the glass to some guy in Toronto invariably watching a replay of a terrible angle for the goal. Coaches have tablet PCs on the bench, but the NHL can't spring for a cordless headset for the refs? Maybe at least get McReery a chair to sit on so he doesn't have to stand all hunched over for 10 minutes listening to hold music?
All the cool terrorist shows can have little tiny camera that fit under doors: Wouldn't it be great to have one of those at the base of each goalpost, aimed along the crease, just for these types of goals? They'd do a heck of a lot more good than that dome thing in the back of the net.

It's just silly. So many disputed goals. It was pretty clear this was a goal, but there was no evidence to support it. They need a better system.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:02 PM   #577
msf518
n00b

Got a Rangers Game 6 ticket (off Ticketmaster too), this just made my day!
msf518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:03 PM   #578
Hurst2112
College Starter

nice bonehead icings by the rangers. the whole goal review could have been avoided.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:04 PM   #579
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
I was expecting MUCH more of a meltdown from Ruff. I'm so disappointed.

I don't get the NHL sometimes. It is 2007. And yet, whenever there is a question on a goal, the referee goes over and talks on a 30-year old beige phone through a hole in the glass to some guy in Toronto invariably watching a replay of a terrible angle for the goal. Coaches have tablet PCs on the bench, but the NHL can't spring for a cordless headset for the refs? Maybe at least get McReery a chair to sit on so he doesn't have to stand all hunched over for 10 minutes listening to hold music?
All the cool terrorist shows can have little tiny camera that fit under doors: Wouldn't it be great to have one of those at the base of each goalpost, aimed along the crease, just for these types of goals? They'd do a heck of a lot more good than that dome thing in the back of the net.

It's just silly. So many disputed goals. It was pretty clear this was a goal, but there was no evidence to support it. They need a better system.

Or, better yet, put some sort of radio signal in the puck with a system that can locate its position accurately enough that you don't even need to SEE the puck.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:08 PM   #580
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
nice bonehead icings by the rangers. the whole goal review could have been avoided.

Only Avery's shot at the empty net was stupid. The other icing came as a result of a guy (I forgot who it was already) using the boards to get the puck around a Sabre, but an odd bounce caused it to just take off and go all the way down.

While he was fantastic tonight, Henrik holds the blame for putting him in the situation where he needed to make that save. That was a terrible (and unnecessary) attempt at handling the puck behind the net.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:12 PM   #581
bbor
Pro Starter

The rim of the goalies pads which are black....which is fuckin brilliant.....blocked the replay.If that rim is the same colour of the rest of the pads it is a replay goal for sure.

Watch in the furtue for all the rims of goalie pad being black...then 2 months later the MHL outlawing black rims on goalie pads.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:15 PM   #582
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Only Avery's shot at the empty net was stupid. The other icing came as a result of a guy (I forgot who it was already) using the boards to get the puck around a Sabre, but an odd bounce caused it to just take off and go all the way down.

While he was fantastic tonight, Henrik holds the blame for putting him in the situation where he needed to make that save. That was a terrible (and unnecessary) attempt at handling the puck behind the net.

i don't care how the puck bounces. in the playoffs, you can't be doing that.

just my opinion.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:20 PM   #583
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
i don't care how the puck bounces. in the playoffs, you can't be doing that.

just my opinion.

He chipped it away from the defenseman who was rushing in to make the play on the puck. Should he have just let him take it?
Old 05-02-2007, 07:16 AM   #584
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Or, better yet, put some sort of radio signal in the puck with a system that can locate its position accurately enough that you don't even need to SEE the puck.

I agree completely. but if they can't figure out wireless phones, how could they take THIS technological leap?
Old 05-02-2007, 08:37 AM   #585
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
But if they did that, the league wouldn't have the chance to make sure the close calls went against the small market teams.

Sorry, someone had to say it before the Sabres fans show up.

Edit: The whole "if you can't see the puck in the net, it's not a goal" rule is dumb. If the puck is under a pad and the whole pad is in the net, it's a goal. If you see the puck bounce out of the net at an angle that's impossible unless it was across the line, it's a goal. If the puck is in the goalie's glove which is inside the net... ah, forget it, I'm making too much sense for Bettman and his minions.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 05-02-2007 at 08:39 AM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:43 AM   #586
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

You know, FoxTrax would have solved all this.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:46 AM   #587
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I don't see why the NHL should get so much grief for this when football is no better. Why are we still relying on camera angles on the goal line instead of putting tiny cameras in the pylons? Or dedicated sideline/back of endzone cameras? It seems like the technology is there, just no one wants to go through the expense/trouble in order to fully maximize replay reviews. This isn't solely an NHL problem.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:57 AM   #588
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I don't see why the NHL should get so much grief for this when football is no better. Why are we still relying on camera angles on the goal line instead of putting tiny cameras in the pylons? Or dedicated sideline/back of endzone cameras? It seems like the technology is there, just no one wants to go through the expense/trouble in order to fully maximize replay reviews. This isn't solely an NHL problem.

but, in general, a replay of a goal in hockey has significantly more consequence than a replay in football.

not that I'm disagreeing. the NFL could certainly improve it's replay too, but the NHL's is just using a laughably bad system, and it's affecting the outcome of games.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:01 AM   #589
Travis
Pro Rookie

I do like how both the NHL and NFL are willing to shell out to get HD replays for the officials to watch, but like you said, not invest in (albeit more expensive) surefire ways to eliminate blown calls in instances where technology could do the trick for them.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:15 AM   #590
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
but, in general, a replay of a goal in hockey has significantly more consequence than a replay in football.

not that I'm disagreeing. the NFL could certainly improve it's replay too, but the NHL's is just using a laughably bad system, and it's affecting the outcome of games.

While I realize that the number of scoring plays is far greater in football than hockey, both are similar in that whether they actually matter is dependent on the score of the game and the timing of the scoring play. And, in fact, since replay in football also encompasses more than just scoring plays - including plays which could lead to a scoring play that could change a game's outcome - I'd argue that you can't just limit the comparison to scoring plays only.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:19 AM   #591
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Here's another thing about that replay: how come there was no camera angle from the front of the line looking in? If they can stick a camera way up high looking down and slightly from the back, why can't they have another one a couple feet over looking down and slightly from the front? Or at least a shot from one of the camera's on the sides looking towards the net? It seemed to me that almost any camera aiming in from the front would have been able to see the puck underneath the edge of his pad.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 03:25 PM   #592
Milton
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

As good as he is between the pipes, he's terrible at handling the puck. Something to work on in the off season. Which I hope doesn't come for many, many weeks.
Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 07:07 PM   #593
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Dear Devils:

C'mon guys. Seriously.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:13 PM   #594
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Woo! Power Play goal
Old 05-02-2007, 07:35 PM   #595
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

And just like that....down again.

Oh well.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:45 PM   #596
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Jeez, Brodeur was off tonight, but the offense has to do something. Again, do the Devils understand that if you're going to make centering passes, you need to have someone in front of the net to receive them? The one time they got people in front of the net, Pandolfo scored his goal. Gomez and Gionta had a lot of energy tonight, too, but they only managed the one Gionta goal. I was disappointed in Parise and Zajac tonight. Not much from them.

Terrific penalties on Colin White and Jim Dowd in the final 3 or 4 minutes. Really terrific. The Devils could have gained momentum, and then they had to kill off two minutes of 5-on-4 and one minute of 5-on-3. Great job, guys. Really. Great.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:46 PM   #597
canadiancreed
n00b

Now that's damn nice to see. An evenly matched game, but in the end the better team winning Ottawa finally is turning it up when the chips are down, as evident by the third period shot total (too bad they let them get within one)

Let's Go Sens. Get that Cup back where it belongs
canadiancreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:47 PM   #598
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancreed View Post
Let's Go Sens. Get that Cup back where it belongs
Anaheim?
Old 05-02-2007, 09:49 PM   #599
canadiancreed
n00b