Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-13-2007, 08:15 AM   #551
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Two Penguins notes of interest:

Quote:
Maple Leafs winger Kris Newbury is expected to be out about a week after taking a fierce beating from Penguins right winger Ronald Petrovicky in a third-period fight. The two had a 10-minute phone conversation Sunday. "I told him it wasn't his fault," Newbury told reporters yesterday. "He felt bad about what happened."

And....Jordan Staal's performance Saturday night--youngest player in NHL history with a hat trick.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 08:19 AM   #552
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
And....Jordan Staal's performance Saturday night--youngest player in NHL history with a hat trick.

I can hear Don Cherry now...
Old 02-13-2007, 08:27 AM   #553
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Two Penguins notes of interest:

Good to hear about Newbury. I'm glad to hear he was fine.

That Petrovicky thing threw me for a loop. I had no idea that that Ronald Petrovicky wasn't Robert Petrovicky until yesterday.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 08:31 AM   #554
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The Wings got their asses handed to them last night. MacDonlad struggled, but still the Flyers ran roughshod over them. The play book is out on this team. Play physical, play mean, and you can totally throw them off their game. Datsyuk wilts under that kind of pressure. Zetterberg tries to fight through it, but he's only one guy.

If I were a coach and had to play the Wings I would just have my team get in touch with their inner-goon and start putting the body on them. Who are they going to send out? Draper? A 60 year old Chris Chelios? Andreas "Turtle" Lilja? I mean seriously.

All in all, I think last night's game will be good for the Wings. Hopefully Holland was watching closely and realizes that the team badly lacks a physical element. They have some how been under the illusion that this team is grittier than the last few years, but that's simply not the case.

Lilja cross-checks Gagne and Gauthier jumps him. If Gauthier had done the same to Zetterberg, no one on the Wings would do anything. Not good.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 02-13-2007, 08:34 AM   #555
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

welcome to my world, HB.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:14 AM   #556
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

It is amazing how dependent the Flyers are on Forsberg. Last night they said they have not won a game when he wasn't in the lineup. I know they are the worst team in hockey right now but that stat is still a little eye opening.

That being said I really like the play of the Flyers the last 10 games. I was one who thought they needed a full fledged fire sale, but I really think they just need to stay healthy. They aren't as bad as their record shows when healthy so hopefully they can use this last part of the season to build a foundation for next season.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 09:28 AM   #557
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

the Flyers are a MUCH better team than their record shows
Old 02-13-2007, 01:24 PM   #558
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Wings need to attempt to make the following deals:

Acquire Guerin & Mayers from St. Louis

or

Doan & Laraques from the Coyotes.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 01:34 PM   #559
Pyser
Pro Rookie

The Red Wings remain interested in Peter Forsberg, but the price is now at least two first-round picks and a prospect, which is putting off potential suitors.
-- Detroit Free Press
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 07:39 AM   #560
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Another Pens note, from the Department of Really Sweet Stats--

With Mark Eaton in the lineup, heading into tonight's game vs. the Blackhawks, the Penguins are 15-3-1.

They started the season 7-3, before he was injured on a (cheap) hit by Jon Cheechoo, 11/6/2006. He returned after the All-Star break, with the Pens 8-0-1 since that point.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:33 PM   #561
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
The Coyotes send Ladislav Nagy to Dallas for Matthias Tjarnqvist and a first round in pick in the 2007 draft.

I guess this likely means that the Coyotes will put forth the effort to re-sign Doan long term. If I had to choose one (Doan) over the other (Nagy), I'd keep Doan.

You are correct, sir.

Why thank you, sir.

The Coyotes just re-signed Doan to a long term, 5 year/$23 million deal. That averages out to about $4.6 million a year. I think that's a fair price for a power forward of Doan's caliber.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:42 PM   #562
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

personally, I think 4.6 is a bit of a bargain
Old 02-14-2007, 03:09 PM   #563
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
personally, I think 4.6 is a bit of a bargain

Agreed. I thought it was a huge bargain until I noticed he's only ever scored more than 30 goals once in his career, which I found surprising. Still, he's only 30 years old and brings a lot more than just goals to the table.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:18 PM   #564
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I think I'm also thinking about how cap friendly it will be in 3 or 4 years, when you could potentially be looking at a 50-55 million cap and top salaries pushing $10 million.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:01 PM   #565
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

Another win for the Pens. 12-0-2 in their current streak. Now if they could just get the arena deal finalized, I could fully enjoy this playoff run.
Jonathan Ezarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 07:08 AM   #566
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ezarik View Post
Another win for the Pens. 12-0-2 in their current streak. Now if they could just get the arena deal finalized, I could fully enjoy this playoff run.

Yeah, but this Crosby kid sucks. What, 8 games without a goal now? And ANOTHER weak attempt on the SO? Bring back Johnny Leclair...
Old 02-15-2007, 06:12 PM   #567
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Forsberg a last-minute scratch tonight after taking warmups. sounds like a deal is imminent, and most indications are Nashville...
Old 02-15-2007, 06:15 PM   #568
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=196374&hubname=
Old 02-15-2007, 06:21 PM   #569
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Love Upshall but this is a steal.

They got to keep Weber, that's huge.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 06:39 PM   #570
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Sportsnet is saying that it's official.

nice deal for both teams, but kudos to Nashville. they give up a ton for a UFA...but they have boatloads of talent. 10 1st round picks on the roster (before AND after the trade) and they didn't really give up any of their key youngsters (Weber, Radulov)
Old 02-15-2007, 06:39 PM   #571
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I like Upshall, but he's really just a 3rd/4th line energy type guy. Ryan Parent is supposed to be quite the prospect (at least he was for me in Eastisde Hockey). Plus a first and a third?

Hrmmm....

I guess it could be worth the gamble. Forsberg is an immense talent, as good as there is in the NHL when healthy, but he's rarely healthy and he's in the last year of his contract.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:41 PM   #572
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Sportsnet is saying that it's official.

nice deal for both teams, but kudos to Nashville. they give up a ton for a UFA...but they have boatloads of talent. 10 1st round picks on the roster (before AND after the trade) and they didn't really give up any of their key youngsters (Weber, Radulov)

That's a good point. The Predators are stocked and really only had to deal one player off their current roster. Draft picks are overrated anyway.

This firmly shifts the balance of power in the West to the Predators.

It's your move, Mr. Holland. . .
Old 02-15-2007, 06:47 PM   #573
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

was reading some speculation about how the Wings would be perfect destinations for Bill Guerin or Keith Tkachuk...but the Blues would be reluctant to help out a division rival. Considering how much I detest Guerin, I think Detroit would be a PERFECT destination.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:59 PM   #574
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Actually I am pretty happy with what they got in return. How much can you expect to get for a guy that still has foot problems and will be a free agent at the end of the year. It is basically a 30 game rental.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:11 PM   #575
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I think Philly did awesome on this one. They lose Forsberg for 30 games of a season that is going nowhere regardless, and in return the receive a good 3rd line guy, a highly regarded defensive prospect, and 2 picks.

That said, this is not necessarily a bad move on Nashville's part either, as he could really push them over the top.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 11:35 PM   #576
bhlloy
Coordinator

A win-win for both teams really. The Predators have their best shot ever at winning a cup, and if Forsberg can stay healthy then he's an unbelievable asset in the playoffs.

The Flyers get a good young prospect and 2 picks for somebody whose heart probably wasn't going to be in it for the last 30 games of a hopeless season.

I wouldn't have minded seeing Forsberg in a Ducks uniform, that is for sure.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 01:41 AM   #577
Coder
College Prospect

Interesting.. for what it's worth, I've always been rather amused by Eklund and his "rumours"... but he called this one.. not as in "Forsberg might end up in Nashville", but "Forsberg looks set for Nashville, and I'm hearing Ryan Parent is going to the Flyers."... This was 5-6 hours before the trade happened too.

I'd say this is a good deal for both teams, AND for Forsberg, who gets to play in the playoffs for what might be his final season.

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 07:34 AM   #578
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

even Avalanche fans get a win - Nashville comes to Colorado on April 7th.

speaking of the Avs, Colorado's slim playoff hopes got a boost last night with a huge win over the Flames, 7-5. Most encouraging was the fact that, if not for a few lucky breaks for the Flames, it wouldn't have been that close. Colorado played a good hockey game, for 60 minutes no less. How's this for a weird schedule? The Avs played last night in Calgary, and again Saturday in Calgary (first time they've played consecutive road games against the same opponent), then Sunday in Vancouver and then host the Flames on Tuesday. Avs play 3 out of 4 games against the Flames. Even odder, the Flames don't have a game in between - they play 3 in a row against Colorado.

Joe Sakic became the 17th NHL player to score 600 goals. He's 1 goal behind a former teammate. Any guesses who that is?

Joe Nieuwendyk was the next active player on the list, but he's retired. Any guesses who is next on the active list? He too has a reasonable shot at 600.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:36 AM   #579
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coder View Post
Interesting.. for what it's worth, I've always been rather amused by Eklund and his "rumours"... but he called this one.. not as in "Forsberg might end up in Nashville", but "Forsberg looks set for Nashville, and I'm hearing Ryan Parent is going to the Flyers."... This was 5-6 hours before the trade happened too.

you mean this guy
hxxp://img1.putfile.com/thumb/2/4522583297.jpg
Old 02-16-2007, 07:46 AM   #580
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Eklund? Sam Kinison?
Old 02-16-2007, 07:51 AM   #581
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Eklund. There is a thread on the hfboards about it.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 02-16-2007 at 07:53 AM.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:13 AM   #582
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
Eklund. There is a thread on the hfboards about it.

what an amazing thread!

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=345783 (for anyone else interested)
Old 02-16-2007, 08:16 AM   #583
Coder
College Prospect

Quote:
what an amazing thread!

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=345783 (for anyone else interested)

Before I've even read that thread, once again, I've never taken him seriously.. just pointing out that he did call the Nashville-deal before I went to bed, and Forsberg was traded while I was sleeping..

Old 02-16-2007, 08:25 AM   #584
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:

Joe Sakic became the 17th NHL player to score 600 goals. He's 1 goal behind a former teammate. Any guesses who that is?

Joe Nieuwendyk was the next active player on the list, but he's retired. Any guesses who is next on the active list? He too has a reasonable shot at 600.

Question #1-- I believe it is Kurri. Wasn't he in Colorado for 1 year, or maybe 1/2 year?

Question #2-- Is it another former teammate? Teemu? Or Sundin? Both of those guys I think are over 500, and can't think of anyone else.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:54 AM   #585
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

nice. yes, Kurri is at 601 and Teemu is 520 something. Sundin is just behind him. Modano is just under 500. These 3 are probably the only guys in the top 50 with a chance at 600.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:59 PM   #586
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

sadly, HF deleted the thread.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:01 PM   #587
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
nice. yes, Kurri is at 601 and Teemu is 520 something. Sundin is just behind him. Modano is just under 500. These 3 are probably the only guys in the top 50 with a chance at 600.

How old is Modano now? After the past few seasons, I have to think his shot at 600 is slim to none.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:05 PM   #588
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Modano turns 37 this summer. I don't expect him to hit it, but he has a better shot than, say, Pierre Turgeon.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:09 PM   #589
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Recchi has said he'd like to play another two years or so....if he gets to play next to Crosby that entire time, he MIGHT just make it...
Old 02-16-2007, 01:12 PM   #590
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
sadly, HF deleted the thread.

not before thousands saved that picture on their hard drive
Old 02-16-2007, 03:11 PM   #591
Coder
College Prospect

Weird that HF would do that... did Eklund threaten with legal action mayhaps?

Old 02-16-2007, 03:25 PM   #592
Karim
College Starter

Last night's game was the first time I've had questions about Playfair. Down a goal with the goalie out, he puts out Primeau, Amonte, Lombardi, Regehr and Stuart. Meanwhile, Tanguay sees two shifts in the last 10 minutes, Huselius is benched for about 15 minutes, and the both of them are on the bench, along with Iginla. Not to mention Hamrlik and Phaneuf were also watching Regehr handle the puck like a hand grenade. Huselius is the hottest Flame but it's *this* game that Playfair decides to send a message and despite Tanguay setting up three goals, he's also watching.

Oh yeah, and Amonte sucks.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 03:34 PM   #593
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I don't know Playfair well. But I wonder if, perhaps, he valued message over a chance to tie. They get pissed off, win the next two against Colorado, and they are sitting pretty in the playoff race.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:08 PM   #594
Pyser
Pro Rookie

from the ny post:

The Flyers accepted Nashville's offer for Peter Forsberg rather than an equally intriguing one from San Jose, Slap Shots has been told. According to sources, the Sharks were willing to send netminder Evegni Nabokov to goaltending-needy Philadelphia as part of a package that included young defenseman Marc-Edouard Vlasic.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:54 PM   #595
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

they turned down Nabokov? sucks to be them.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:32 PM   #596
Pyser
Pro Rookie

apparently, the flyers think they can sign biron or gigeure instead this offseason for free. still odd to me though.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:33 AM   #597
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I am actually glad they turned down Nabokov. They need defensemen more than they need a goalie. They aren't going to be contending next year so by that time they will have Hatchers and Rathje's assine contracts off the books and maybe they can get a goalie that way.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:51 AM   #598
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Oilers trade Marc Andre Bergeon to the Islanders for Denis Grebeshkov, who will spend the rest of the season in Russia. Obviously a trade for the future, which must mean Lowe has given up on making the playoffs this season?
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 08:34 AM   #599
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Philly will most assuredly destroy any goalie they get, so they may as well trade Forsberg for players and then get the victim-du-jour out of free agency as it really doesn't matter who it is.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 08:36 AM   #600
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Philly will most assuredly destroy any goalie they get, so they may as well trade Forsberg for players and then get the victim-du-jour out of free agency as it really doesn't matter who it is.

I prefer to call it the The Curse (Ghost) of Pelle Lindberg