Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-21-2006, 06:10 PM   #551
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

http://www.boston.com/sports/footbal...s_on_adam.html

The Colts better have offered him about 3.5 million or my patience with the Pats has just about worn out.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 06:25 PM   #552
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Abraham has been traded.

Broncos | Team acquires No. 15 overall pick in Abraham trade
Tue, 21 Mar 2006 15:58:39 -0800
Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports the New York Jets have traded DE John Abraham to the Atlanta Falcons as part of a three-way trade between the Jets, Falcons and the Denver Broncos. If the trade is approved, then the Falcons will have traded their first-round pick, No. 15 overall, to Denver, who in turn will trade their first-round pick, No. 29 overall, and two additional picks to Atlanta. Atlanta then sends the 29th pick to the Jets for Abraham. The Jets would receive a draft pick two slots higher in the first round than the Seattle Seahawks were able to offer.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 06:26 PM   #553
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061
http://www.boston.com/sports/footbal...s_on_adam.html

The Colts better have offered him about 3.5 million or my patience with the Pats has just about worn out.

Apparently he's getting a *signing bonus* of $3.5 million. No idea what the base salaries look like.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 06:31 PM   #554
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
Abraham has been traded.

Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports the New York Jets have traded DE John Abraham to the Atlanta Falcons as part of a three-way trade between the Jets, Falcons and the Denver Broncos. If the trade is approved, then the Falcons will have traded their first-round pick, No. 15 overall, to Denver, who in turn will trade their first-round pick, No. 29 overall, and two additional picks to Atlanta. Atlanta then sends the 29th pick to the Jets for Abraham. The Jets would receive a draft pick two slots higher in the first round than the Seattle Seahawks were able to offer.

Ummm....That sucks.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 06:43 PM   #555
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Awesome! Denver's now got the #15 and #22. I am officially on board with Abraham's pushing the Jets to trade him to Atlanta.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 06:49 PM   #556
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Hmm,

Broncos | Targeting QB with No. 15 overall pick
Tue, 21 Mar 2006 16:35:07 -0800
ESPNews reports the Denver Broncos are expected to target a quarterback after acquiring the No. 15 overall pick from the Atlanta Falcons in a three-team deal.

They're going after Cutler? I don't think the 15th and 22nd would get you into Matt Leinart range.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:08 PM   #557
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Hmm,

ESPNews reports the Denver Broncos are expected to target a quarterback after acquiring the No. 15 overall pick from the Atlanta Falcons in a three-team deal.

They're going after Cutler? I don't think the 15th and 22nd would get you into Matt Leinart range.

That would be an interesting call. Denver is pretty close to the top right now, so I wonder if there will not be pressure to add immediate contributors, rather than a QB to develop.

It would also be interesting to see if the Denver would consider moving up with that 15th pick to get Leinart. Shannahan has to be looking around and thinking that having Jake Plummer, while the other top teams in the AFC have franchise guys (Manning, Brady, Big Ben, Palmer) might not be his best bet to get back into the Super Bowl.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 07:08 PM   #558
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Hmm,

You can have #6 and take Young. Please?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 07:32 PM   #559
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Abraham has been traded.

Updating the draft picks, the Falcons get a 3rd in '06 and a 4th in '07.

The Dallas Cowboys release Larry Allen.

Cowboys | Allen cap savings
Tue, 21 Mar 2006 17:15:47 -0800
Nick Eatman, of DallasCowboys.com, reports the earlier release of OL Larry Allen saves the Dallas Cowboys a total of about $3.55 million on the salary cap. It also frees them from paying a $2 million roster bonus due to Allen April 1.

So, I guess the starting Oline is now Adams, Kozier, Gurode/Johnson, Rivera, and Fabini.

Fire Ron Lee.

Last edited by TazFTW : 03-21-2006 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:52 PM   #560
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
Ummm....That sucks.

Yeah, the Falcons better be signing Hopkins now. Maybe McKay is close with Hopkins. Hopefully!
Old 03-21-2006, 08:11 PM   #561
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Abraham is gone. thank GOD. I hope Atlanta doesn't plan to make the playoffs, because that guy will either be getting sick or whining about some nagging injury. Worthless piece of shit. Good riddance.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 12:56 AM   #562
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

So the Broncos give away only a 3rd and future 4th to move up 14 spots in the 1st round? That seems like a very good deal to me.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:46 AM   #563
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantastic flying froggies
So the Broncos give away only a 3rd and future 4th to move up 14 spots in the 1st round? That seems like a very good deal to me.

I'm sure that it adds up based on the sheet of values assigned to each pick, but I guess it depends on what the Broncos are looking to getting with that pick.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:23 AM   #564
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
I'm sure that it adds up based on the sheet of values assigned to each pick, but I guess it depends on what the Broncos are looking to getting with that pick.

It doesnt even come close to adding up to what is considered "Fair value" on most charts. Denver trades picks worth about 800 points for a pick worth 1050. Now I think that Atlanta probably got the best deal that they could, however.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 08:45 AM   #565
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:

Old 03-22-2006, 08:48 AM   #566
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
It doesnt even come close to adding up to what is considered "Fair value" on most charts. Denver trades picks worth about 800 points for a pick worth 1050. Now I think that Atlanta probably got the best deal that they could, however.

Basically, Atlanta didn't care to get full value... They're giving up the 1st for Abraham either way. So instead of giving up the 15 to get Abrham, they gave up the 15 for Abraham and 2 mid-round picks.

It's a win-win deal for all parties, in my opinion.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 08:49 AM   #567
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The Lions continue to gobble up career back-ups and depth guys. They signed OL Barry Stokes to a 3 year deal and LB Paris Lenon (Green Bay) to an undisclosed contract. Stokes has played with 6 different teams in 8 years. Wheee!

I reckon the Lions will try and take a run at Larry Allen. Millen tried to trade for him a few years back, but it fell through. The Lions are in desperate need of help on the offensive line. I imagine Allen would have absolutely zero interest in playing for the Lions, so if the Lions did manage to sign him, they would have to over pay big time.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 09:06 AM   #568
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoo

Yup

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 09:12 AM   #569
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Btw, news is that the Bears have signed Brian Greise to back up Rex Grossman. I wonder if there will be a QB controversy if Grossman isn't the savior he's been held up as?
Old 03-22-2006, 09:32 AM   #570
GrantDawg

Quote:

No, the best deal was to let him go. He is not worth a first in any way, shape or form. If Seattle wanted to give it, let them. I'm glad he is on the team, but giving up the number 15 pick when the team really needed that pick was a mistake.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:35 AM   #571
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
No, the best deal was to let him go. He is not worth a first in any way, shape or form. If Seattle wanted to give it, let them. I'm glad he is on the team, but giving up the number 15 pick when the team really needed that pick was a mistake.

Paying the guy over 8 million per does not seem to be a silver lining in this mess, as well.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 09:37 AM   #572
GrantDawg

Quote:
Paying the guy over 8 million per does not seem to be a silver lining in this mess, as well.

No, but I could live with that without giving up the first. If this guy goes down in training camp, I'm going to beat McKay and Blank with a wiffle bat.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:59 AM   #573
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

If the Falcons don't get their OT in free agency, I'd say the trade was almost a total waste.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:05 AM   #574
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Btw, news is that the Bears have signed Brian Greise to back up Rex Grossman. I wonder if there will be a QB controversy if Grossman isn't the savior he's been held up as?
Kyle Orton, we hardly knew ye.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:04 PM   #575
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Sad day. Best offensive linemen I've seen play for Dallas (and the only one I've ever seen a crowd chant for). I wonder if he'll retire.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 01:44 PM   #576
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Sad day. Best offensive linemen I've seen play for Dallas (and the only one I've ever seen a crowd chant for). I wonder if he'll retire.
Also the perennial winner of the "Player Most Likely to Give John Madden an Eternal Stiffy" award.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:55 PM   #577
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
Local radio just said that the Cowboys are talking to Vanderjagt...

good, keep him away from NE
Old 03-22-2006, 01:55 PM   #578
JeeberD
General Manager

Old 03-22-2006, 01:58 PM   #579
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD

So they'd have to keep an extra kicker for kickoffs? Just doesn't make much sense to me, but... I guess the options are pretty limited now.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:59 PM   #580
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Hopefully the Pats can sign Edinger. He did a pretty good job in Chicago and can hit from 50+. Get him in for like 1.5 and you've done well.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:38 PM   #581
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

The Raiders sign Aaron Brooks.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:02 PM   #582
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Can any Niners fans elaborate on Julian Peterson? If he's fully healthy, is he one of the top OLB in the league? I confess I haven't paid a lot of attention to him up till now, other than knowing about him by reputation.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 08:06 PM   #583
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Cowboys | Team close to a deal with Vanderjagt
Wed, 22 Mar 2006 17:02:44 -0800
Nick Eatman, of DallasCowboys.com, reports the Dallas Cowboys appeared to be closing in on a contract agreement with free agent PK Mike Vanderjagt (Colts).

It's a shame we won't have Larry Allen to knock him down when he misses a PAT.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:20 PM   #584
Dutch
"Dutch"

I can't wait to see Vanderjagt tell the media that Terrell Owens sucks. That will be awesome.

I am surprised that the Bucs let Griese get away. Griese really appears to be a "system" quarterback, so I'm not sure how he'll fit in with the Bears.

That leaves the Bucs free to call Chris Simms their starter.

Maybe we better trade up.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 09:01 PM   #585
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan
Can any Niners fans elaborate on Julian Peterson? If he's fully healthy, is he one of the top OLB in the league? I confess I haven't paid a lot of attention to him up till now, other than knowing about him by reputation.

Not a Niners fan myself (definite preference towards Seattle), but when healthy, Peterson is a terror. Fast, strong and a guy the offense has to account for on every snap.

More importantly, whether or not he is at 100% health, he'll be a great source of knowledge and experience for Tatupu and Hill. I think Hill will benefit the most from watching Peterson and how he plays while Tatupu relies more on anticipation than flat out athletisicm. By all accounts Peterson is supposed to be an excellent locker room influence (one reason they likely went for him over Arrington), and with all the youth Seattle has at LB, hopefully this turns into a dual reward pickup.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 09:17 PM   #586
pennywisesb
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
The Raiders sign Aaron Brooks.

Its good to see we won't be relying on Marques Tuiososopo and Andrew Walter next year. From Brooks' numbers, he doesn't look so bad, but I know a ton of people are down on him about his leadership ability and because he can be aloof at times. I hope he cleans up his act for us.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:22 PM   #587
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I'm psyched. This means twice the fumbles and WTF plays since Denver plays the Raiders twice a year. A great day for AFC West teams.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 09:44 PM   #588
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennywisesb
Its good to see we won't be relying on Marques Tuiososopo and Andrew Walter next year. From Brooks' numbers, he doesn't look so bad, but I know a ton of people are down on him about his leadership ability and because he can be aloof at times. I hope he cleans up his act for us.

Nothing says rehabilitation quite like the Oakland Raiders.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 10:11 PM   #589
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennywisesb
I think if a team gave Tui an extended shot at being a starter they'd be pleasantly surprised. He doesn't fit the vertical stretch passing game that Al Davis favors, but I think he'd be pretty good in a West Coast or similar type of offense.

At this point though, he's going to have to get lucky to get that shot, i.e. be the backup on a team that suffers a season-ending injury to their starter and Tui himself stays healthy (his problem in Oakland, as he got injured himself immediately after getting his first real shot at being 'the Man').
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 10:30 PM   #590
ZXTT
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan

Seahawks fan here, but I got to drive down I-5 in Dec 2002 going down to Las Vegas/LA and for about an hour south of Sacramento we had "Julian Peterson, the greatest football player in the world" on the radio. Even adjusting for bias, I figured he must be pretty good...

Last edited by ZXTT : 03-22-2006 at 10:31 PM.
ZXTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 08:42 AM   #591
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Vince Young may be dropping further down the board:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft0...ory?id=2380236

Quote:
Quarterback Vince Young was timed in 4.58 seconds in the 40-yard dash Wednesday on what is considered a fast track at the University of Texas in Austin, one NFL scout told ESPN's Chris Mortensen. The scout said Young's time was slower than anticipated.

QB 40-yard dash times
Reggie McNeal, Texas A&M, 4.35
Marcus Vick, Va. Tech, 4.42
Brad Smith, Missouri, 4.46
D.J. Shockley, Georgia, 4.56
Barrick Nealy, Texas St., 4.57
Bruce Gradkowski, Toledo, 4.59
Ingle Martin, Furman, 4.68
Tarvaris Jackson, Alabama St., 4.75
Brett Basanez, Northwestern, 4.75
Jay Cutler, Vanderbilt, 4.77 -- Vince Young's time of 4.58 would put him in sixth place among QBs

According to the same scout, Young's overall workout was "fairly impressive," but the scout said that Young was not asked to make certain drops and throws that he would have to perform in a private team workout.

While Young completed all but five of more than 50 passes, a scout told Mortensen, "That wasn't a remarkable achievement because he wasn't asked to make many tough throws and he waited a lot on his receivers to get out of their breaks. Teams that are curious about the guy are going to want to see more when they work him out."
One of those teams is the Tennessee Titans, who will give Young a private workout on Thursday in Austin, site of Wednesday's pro workout day for Young his his Longhorn teammates.

Other teams that have scheduled private workouts include the Houston Texans and New York Jets.

Asked to compare Young's workout to one given last Friday by Vanderbilt's Jay Cutler in cold weather and swirling winds, one scout said told Mortensen, "There was no comparison. Cutler made all the throws in tough conditions while Young limited his range of throws and he was indoors."
Old 03-23-2006, 08:47 AM   #592
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Here's what I don't get about the Young 40 time disappointment. Does it really matter at all what his 40 time is? I mean 4.3, 4.6, 4.8, who gives a fuck.

I'm not a VY fan per se but really, the 40 has about zero to do with playing quarterback.

We know he's generally fast, can be mobile. Isn't that enough?
Old 03-23-2006, 08:50 AM   #593
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
Here's what I don't get about the Young 40 time disappointment. Does it really matter at all what his 40 time is? I mean 4.3, 4.6, 4.8, who gives a fuck.

I'm not a VY fan per se but really, the 40 has about zero to do with playing quarterback.

We know he's generally fast, can be mobile. Isn't that enough?

That's the problem. He wasn't all that fast in his time. For a QB that has had questions about if he can play in the NFL with his wierd motion, taking the ball under center, the Wonderlic score, now you have this. It's just a bad sign.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:51 AM   #594
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
That's the problem. He wasn't all that fast in his time. For a QB that has had questions about if he can play in the NFL with his wierd motion, taking the ball under center, the Wonderlic score, now you have this. It's just a bad sign.

Why? Because he was going to outrun the secondary for touchdowns on a regular basis but now not so much?
Old 03-23-2006, 09:02 AM   #595
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
Why? Because he was going to outrun the secondary for touchdowns on a regular basis but now not so much?

Who said he was going to outrun the secondary in the first place? You have to see if he can before saying he will.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:08 AM   #596
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Who said he was going to outrun the secondary in the first place? You have to see if he can before saying he will.

just seems silly to me to judge qb worth on their 40 time. if anything the relationship is inverse. the slower ones are better in general.

I agree though in the big picture that if you were under the impression he was a lightning bolt and see the time and combine it with the other issues maybe you back off.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:13 AM   #597
Butter
Coordinator

His 40 time = Bruce Gradkowski's????
Old 03-23-2006, 09:14 AM   #598
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

I think the concern is being raised because much of the hoopla over Young has been that he is a superior athlete, particularly so as a QB. If his speed is deemed pedestrian than his stock drops a bit. If you're not taking him for his incredible athleticism then he is quite mortal.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:19 AM   #599
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
I think the concern is being raised because much of the hoopla over Young has been that he is a superior athlete, particularly so as a QB. If his speed is deemed pedestrian than his stock drops a bit. If you're not taking him for his incredible athleticism then he is quite mortal.

taking the athletical qb has worked well
Old 03-23-2006, 09:21 AM   #600
JeeberD
General Manager

So he doesn't run sprints well...hasn't he proven over the last year or two that he can outrun defenses on a consistent basis?