Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-10-2008, 06:35 PM   #551
Radii
Head Coach

Clemson 45-34 at the half. Clemson is outrebounding UNC, outshooting them, and has forced 13 turnovers. Ellington did get hot and hit a couple 3's in a row in spots where Clemson was really heating up, leaving the outcome at least somewhat still in question. Clemson slowed the game down a bit towards the end of the half because they were getting a little careless, but I expect the second half to be more of the same.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 06:49 PM   #552
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
That's a "you" problem.

Not sure they are either (and certainly didn't show it today), but the reason you can't see it is because you don't like that we call you out on Memphis and that we beat you when it counted.

Did I say anything about Memphis? I am talking about the talking heads like Hubert Davis and Steve Lavin who say that UCLA is the best team in the country.

Sheesh, a little defensive after a loss huh?
Old 02-10-2008, 06:50 PM   #553
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
Did I say anything about Memphis? I am talking about the talking heads like Hubert Davis and Steve Lavin who say that UCLA is the best team in the country.

Sheesh, a little defensive after a loss huh?

No, not at all, actually. It's a fact you hate UCLA. Anyone who has seen your responses to me and Bug over the past couple years knows this.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 06:51 PM   #554
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
LOL. I know this is directed at me, but your ignorance is obviously showing.

Karl...you should give all the UW's a nice gift for letting you guys back in the race

How is ignorance showing? Or is this another random MrBug post that no one really understands?
Old 02-10-2008, 06:54 PM   #555
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
No, not at all, actually. It's a fact you hate UCLA. Anyone who has seen your responses to me and Bug over the past couple years knows this.

I have no problem with UCLA. I think Bug is an idiot, but I have never thought that you are.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:55 PM   #556
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
How is ignorance showing? Or is this another random MrBug post that no one really understands?

You don't think UCLA is as good as people say? You are obviously bold enough to make that statement now, when they are missing two of its top seven players. That's why people think you are ignorant when it comes to college hoops.

As for posts nobody understands, I can't help you with that
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 06:56 PM   #557
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
I have no problem with UCLA. I think Bug is an idiot, but I have never thought that you are.

LOL. You're the one making asinine comments but I'm the idiot? I'm sorry you take offense when I mock Joey Dorsey but I didn't think you'd take it so personal.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:05 PM   #558
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
You don't think UCLA is as good as people say? You are obviously bold enough to make that statement now, when they are missing two of its top seven players. That's why people think you are ignorant when it comes to college hoops.

As for posts nobody understands, I can't help you with that

No, I do not think UCLA is the best team in the country. I think the media has over hyped them. I think that they are solid team, very capable of winning the national championship. But at this time, due to the results of their games, I do not believe they are the best team in the country.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:07 PM   #559
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
LOL. You're the one making asinine comments but I'm the idiot? I'm sorry you take offense when I mock Joey Dorsey but I didn't think you'd take it so personal.

I am not taking anything personal. You are the one that has such a hate for Memphis that you can not stand when they do well and have personal vendetta toward some of players from Memphis.

I do not hate UCLA. I never have. You take your hatred of everything involved with Memphis to the next level.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:07 PM   #560
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I appreciate that. Never thought you were an idiot, either. Devoted to your Tigers, but certainly not an idiot.

That said, while I don't think you're sitting there with vitriol for UCLA (I overstated), I do think your inclination is to assume they're overhyped, maybe because of your disagreements with me (or more likely with Bug).

I think the evidence supports what people said about UCLA up to today, and I suspect their opinions changed today, which will be shown over the next few days. So UCLA will have to go on another run and "re-prove" themselves (which is only fair, given how crappy they played today).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:10 PM   #561
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
I am not taking anything personal. You are the one that has such a hate for Memphis that you can not stand when they do well and have personal vendetta toward some of players from Memphis.

I do not hate UCLA. I never have. You take your hatred of everything involved with Memphis to the next level.

To the next level? What are you talking about? Yes I have a dislike of Memphis but that's because they havent accomplishmed much other then being very underwhelming when it comes to the postseason considering how much hype they receive year in and year out. I have a dislike towards one player and that is Joey Dorsey. I do not deny that but that's because he's a douchebag, at least in the media.

And you are the last person to talk about someone getting too involved with Memphis
Old 02-10-2008, 07:11 PM   #562
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I don't think Memphis has done enough to accrue any hatred.....
Karlifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 07:13 PM   #563
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
No, I do not think UCLA is the best team in the country. I think the media has over hyped them. I think that they are solid team, very capable of winning the national championship. But at this time, due to the results of their games, I do not believe they are the best team in the country.

How have they overhyped them? Even missing one of their key players, people thought they had what it takes to win it all. Now they lost another key player and they lose a game on the road, and now you think that are being overhyped?
Old 02-10-2008, 07:14 PM   #564
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Oh I guess everyone answers that question differently then. When I answer the "who I think is best" its always in terms of who I think is set up the best to be the team I expect to be the favorite in the tournament. Memphis, until they prove otherwise, will never be my favorite. No team playing in a conference like CUSA will be IMO. It takes a 1990 UNLV level of talent to overcome the lack of intensity that the team needs to get through conference schedule. Memphis has good players, and a good coach, but if they make the final four, I'll be surprised, and if they win it all I'll be freaking stunned.

Its not the BCS, everyone gets their chance, and if they can win 6 in a row in March, grats to them. But I'll believe it when I see it. And I think history is *strongly* on my side on this.

I think Memphis is getting a bit lackadaisical. It is no fun blowing teams out of the water. But we can not help the conference we are in. We just have to go with it and see what happens.

I think the UT game will tell people about Memphis. If Memphis comes out and really pounds UT, then there is no reason to think they can not do that in the tournament. We have been in the CUSA schedule for awhile now, so the we can beat anyone by 20 attitude should be there. The question is can they back it up when they play UT and can they back it up in the tournament.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:20 PM   #565
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
To the next level? What are you talking about? Yes I have a dislike of Memphis but that's because they havent accomplishmed much other then being very underwhelming when it comes to the postseason considering how much hype they receive year in and year out. I have a dislike towards one player and that is Joey Dorsey. I do not deny that but that's because he's a douchebag, at least in the media.

And you are the last person to talk about someone getting too involved with Memphis

I don't think they get much hype in the post season. After all, two seasons ago they were suppose to be the first #1 seed ever to lost to Oral Roberts.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:21 PM   #566
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
How have they overhyped them? Even missing one of their key players, people thought they had what it takes to win it all. Now they lost another key player and they lose a game on the road, and now you think that are being overhyped?

No, I do not think they are the best team in the country right now.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:23 PM   #567
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

While I hear you and agree with you here, your first post today about this above indicates you felt that before today's loss. So you can't really use today's loss as a reason for your stance.

Just saying, you know...

I think even Bug would acknowledge UCLA shouldn't be considered the best team after today.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:23 PM   #568
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Definately agree re: Memphis. I like their team and enjoy watching them play, but I don't see them being serious contenders. They could easily prove me wrong if they get hot in March, but right now I don't see it.

I have two points on Memphis:

1) They've been to two straight Elite Eights with the same core of players.

2) Right now, they are playing a ton of their backups. Their starters are only playing roughly 20-25 minutes per game right now. That means they're not blowing out teams like you would expect, and their stars will be rested come March.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 07:25 PM   #569
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

No, but they also aren't healthy right now so I would be inclined to agree
Old 02-10-2008, 07:26 PM   #570
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
I have two points on Memphis:

1) They've been to two straight Elite Eights with the same core of players.

2) Right now, they are playing a ton of their backups. Their starters are only playing roughly 20-25 minutes per game right now. That means they're not blowing out teams like you would expect, and their stars will be rested come March.

Point 1 is excellent (and a good reason why no one should sleep on UCLA either).

Point 2 actually could end up being a negative for you. You will need to be tested more before the tournament to get you ready for real competition, and I am not sure your schedule this season is going to do it. Even the couple semi-big games you have played (Gonzaga, USC, soon to be Tennessee) are at home.

Coach Cal needs to schedule some tough road games (and the C-USA needs to have his back and push the other conferences to step up their games).

Old 02-10-2008, 07:31 PM   #571
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
While I hear you and agree with you here, your first post today about this above indicates you felt that before today's loss. So you can't really use today's loss as a reason for your stance.

Just saying, you know...

I think even Bug would acknowledge UCLA shouldn't be considered the best team after today.

Well, I also don't think they were the best team in country coming in to today either. I believe (and still believe) they can beat anytime in the country. My point was that some talking heads were saying that is the best team in the country....

But it is all subjective and I am even confusing myself right now. Let March get here and it will all be settled.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:33 PM   #572
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Point 1 is excellent (and a good reason why no one should sleep on UCLA either).

Point 2 actually could end up being a negative for you. You will need to be tested more before the tournament to get you ready for real competition, and I am not sure your schedule this season is going to do it. Even the couple semi-big games you have played (Gonzaga, USC, soon to be Tennessee) are at home.

Coach Cal needs to schedule some tough road games (and the C-USA needs to have his back and push the other conferences to step up their games).

Minor correct - the USC game was at the garden. Memphis has also played @Houston, which is a top 50 rpi team.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:35 PM   #573
hoopsguy
General Manager

Throw me in the (apparently small) group that thinks Memphis is the best team in the country right now. In fact, looking back at my Face the Board I said they were my pick to win the title at the start of the year. I haven't seen anything that makes me change this opinion. Rose and Douglas-Roberts is one of the best 1-2 punches in college hoops and this is a deep team who will pose challenges for anyone who gets in their way.

I hope they smoke Tennessee later this month, but that is about all the rooting interest I have in Memphis.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 07:41 PM   #574
Warhammer
Pro Starter

The only issue about Memphis scheduling road games is that many of the big road games that we had last year are all at home this year. Not much that Cal could have done about that. But, they did play UConn and USC at the Garden, at least those were neutral court games.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 07:41 PM   #575
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Minor correct - the USC game was at the garden. Memphis has also played @Houston, which is a top 50 rpi team.

Yes, you're right. Still not on the road (in USC's place, I mean), though.

UM should get credit for @Houston as well, of course, but unfortunately for the Tigers, all of the other "best team candidates" have several of these each from their own conferences.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:43 PM   #576
Radii
Head Coach

SOMEHOW UNC (getting incredibly hot from 3) got back into it, and Clemson is choking big time. I'm completely stunned. I almost think that UNC should just foul and make clemson go to the FT line instead of letting them try to win it at the end.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:43 PM   #577
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Come on Clemson....don't do this again.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:44 PM   #578
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The only issue about Memphis scheduling road games is that many of the big road games that we had last year are all at home this year. Not much that Cal could have done about that. But, they did play UConn and USC at the Garden, at least those were neutral court games.

Probably then there needed to be a better mix. Or Cal needs to stop agreeing to home and homes. Or do it, but be sure to still get tough road games in years where the road schedule is weak.

Really, though, I don't blame Memphis for this, but C-USA. It was always going to be tough to stop Cincy, L'ville and Marquette from jumping to the Big East with their money and influence, but just not enough, IMO, has been done to encourage the other programs to elevate their games. Maybe it's happening, and it just takes time, but it seems like little progress is being made there.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:45 PM   #579
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

WOW. I just turned the game on again after seeing Clemson was winning. How the hell did they come back?
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 07:45 PM   #580
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

lol @Clemson...This is just so depressing.

Last edited by Karlifornia : 02-10-2008 at 07:46 PM.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:46 PM   #581
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Right.

Next year we will play @Gonzaga, @Arizona, @Tennessee, and @Georgetown.

I am not sure if playing in tough road environments has any affect on any team in March. Rarely are you playing on the road in a NCAA tournament. I guess the argument could be that it toughens your team up, but again I am not sure what bearing that has come tournament time.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:48 PM   #582
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
WOW. I just turned the game on again after seeing Clemson was winning. How the hell did they come back?

UNC got ridiculously hot from 3, Hansbrough took over like 3 possessions in a row, Clemson generally stopped playing defense, UNC hit some clutch shots and played some good D but I think Clemson has completely psyched themselves out and this is shaping up to be a massive choke moreso than it is a great comeback(if UNC can win, depends on whether clemson is composed or not to start OT).
Old 02-10-2008, 07:51 PM   #583
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

HOLY SHIT

edit: that was unbelievable that they got all those rebounds and then made the 3.

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 02-10-2008 at 07:51 PM.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:52 PM   #584
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Right.

Next year we will play @Gonzaga, @Arizona, @Tennessee, and @Georgetown.

I am not sure if playing in tough road environments has any affect on any team in March. Rarely are you playing on the road in a NCAA tournament. I guess the argument could be that it toughens your team up, but again I am not sure what bearing that has come tournament time.

Now, that's much tougher (maybe too tough actually, if you lose some players).

I think what the road games against good teams enourages is the close games. It's not winning on the road that is important (although there is toughness gained from that, too), it's winning close games, being placed in a position of needing to make every play to win the game, that sorta toughness is absolutely critical come tournament time.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:58 PM   #585
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Man, what a shot by Oglesby
Old 02-10-2008, 08:00 PM   #586
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
Man, what a shot by Oglesby

no kidding, that was a great defensive stand, then bam.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:01 PM   #587
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
no kidding, that was a great defensive stand, then bam.

it was such a weird shot too. complete silence, seemed like the announcers were shocked that he took the shot and made it.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:02 PM   #588
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

What a game this has been...2 ticks left...can clemson make it through another OT?
Old 02-10-2008, 08:10 PM   #589
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Hansbrough=best big man in the country.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:11 PM   #590
Radii
Head Coach

every time clemson goes to the line I just laugh. They did make one this time!
Old 02-10-2008, 08:11 PM   #591
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Clemson makes their first FT of the game in double OT...I wonder if that has ever happened in any basketball game.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:15 PM   #592
Radii
Head Coach

Big couple series there, UNC had a chance for a dagger and a 5 point lead w/ Deon Thompson but instead Clemson gets the stop and cuts the lead to 1.

Last edited by Radii : 02-10-2008 at 08:15 PM.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:16 PM   #593
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I could go for less of Tyler Hansbrough's dad, though. Almost as bad as Brenda Warner.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:16 PM   #594
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Hansbrough=best big man in the country.

What a steal.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:23 PM   #595
Radii
Head Coach

Incredible win, really Clemson choked this one away in regulation, UNC was just good enough to take advantage of it. Every time UNC steps on the floor without Lawson, I expect a loss(including at UVA coming up Tuesday even after this), but this is good, very very good.

Another good effort, Tigers, you guys have a good coach down there, if he doesn't hop to another school Clemson has a real shot to compete in the ACC for awhile.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:16 PM   #596
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Incredible win, really Clemson choked this one away in regulation, UNC was just good enough to take advantage of it. Every time UNC steps on the floor without Lawson, I expect a loss(including at UVA coming up Tuesday even after this), but this is good, very very good.

Another good effort, Tigers, you guys have a good coach down there, if he doesn't hop to another school Clemson has a real shot to compete in the ACC for awhile.

I was utterly unsurprised that Clemson lost. Granted I didn't watch much of the game because I had company over but, frankly, this is now bordering on Boston-Red-Sox-curse levels for Clemson in terms of their streak in Chapel Hill.

Quote:
every time clemson goes to the line I just laugh. They did make one this time!

I should also note I was not surprised at the disparity in free throws. I'm guessing you didn't get to laugh very much tonight.... (As physically as Clemson and Carolina usually play and Clemson can't even get 10 free throws while Carolina gets over 30?)
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:36 PM   #597
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
I should also note I was not surprised at the disparity in free throws. I'm guessing you didn't get to laugh very much tonight.... (As physically as Clemson and Carolina usually play and Clemson can't even get 10 free throws while Carolina gets over 30?)

well all the UNC alums sent in their checks to get the refs to call an extra 20 fouls on Clemson, so that's pretty much expected.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:27 PM   #598
Radii
Head Coach

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3240984

Quote:
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. -- North Carolina is running out of point guards.

The fifth-ranked Tar Heels have played two straight games without point guard Ty Lawson, who sprained his left ankle in an overtime win at Florida State. Backup Bobby Frasor is already out for the season after suffering a knee injury in December.

Now, emergency option Marcus Ginyard is nursing a sprained ankle from Sunday's double-overtime win against Clemson.

Coach Roy Williams said Lawson is likely out Tuesday when North Carolina (22-2, 7-2 ACC) travels to Virginia.

"I don't know that there is a timetable," Williams said Monday. "I think we've just got to wait until he starts feeling better with it. The kid's not been hurt very often and kids that haven't been hurt think that sometimes things have to be perfect before they come back. That could be part of Tywon's deal. But at the same time it still hurts. We're just going to have to wait until it stops hurting."

Senior Quentin Thomas has assumed the lead role with Lawson out, while Ginyard has been the backup. But the junior swingman has an injured toe on his left foot to go with his ailing right ankle.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:24 PM   #599
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
Throw me in the (apparently small) group that thinks Memphis is the best team in the country right now. In fact, looking back at my Face the Board I said they were my pick to win the title at the start of the year. I haven't seen anything that makes me change this opinion. Rose and Douglas-Roberts is one of the best 1-2 punches in college hoops and this is a deep team who will pose challenges for anyone who gets in their way.

I hope they smoke Tennessee later this month, but that is about all the rooting interest I have in Memphis.
Memphis's craptacular free throw shooting could get them in trouble in a close game.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 05:35 PM   #600
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Although I'm a Texas homer, I don't see them keeping within 15 of Kansas tonight. They have had horrible first halves the past four or five games, and they can't afford to get down to Kansas early.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote