Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-26-2008, 12:31 PM   #501
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
BK is on the clock with 6.12 and 7.1, I don't have a draft list from him, hopefully he'll be here soon...
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:50 PM   #502
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Assuming I didn't make any mistakes, through 6 rounds (now includes the Twain pick), we have the following breakdown in draft choices:

Classical: 10 drafted
Ancient Times: 7 drafted
Middle Ages: 7 drafted
1960s-1970s: 7 drafted
1800s: 6 drafted
1900-Pre WII: 6 drafted
1700s: 5 drafted
Renaissance: 5 drafted
WWII-1959: 5 drafted
2000-Present: 5 drafted
1600s: 4 drafted
1980s-1990s: 4 drafted

Military Leaders: 8 drafted
Women: 8 drafted
Evil Historical Person: 7 drafted
Intellectuals: 7 drafted
Good Historical Person: 7 drafted
Ruler/Diplomatic Leader: 7 drafted
Cultural Icon: 6 drafted
Musician: 5 drafted
Religious figures: 5 drafted
Scribe: 5 drafted
Sportsmen: 5 drafted
Artist: 2 drafted

Last edited by Racer : 06-26-2008 at 02:10 PM.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:58 PM   #503
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Thanks Racer! I have a spreadsheet I've been updating pick by pick, but can't for the life of me get it post in here without looking all wonky and unreadable.

I'm heading to the pool for a little while, I should be back between 4 and 5, depends on how long the kids want to stay though. I have lists from Racer and Izulde...Racer is here and Izulde isn't up for a while, so I don't think there should be any problems with me being gone for a few hours. I'll be on IM if you need me though (yahoo - mobilejal0430).
Old 06-26-2008, 01:51 PM   #504
Danny
Head Coach

Racer you stole a pick of mine right back in Galileo
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:52 PM   #505
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Ok a couple of my picks have been taken. Will have my picks in shortly.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:58 PM   #506
Barkeep49
Coordinator

6.12 Michaelangelo - Renaissance (Artist)

Next to the Mona Lisa, Michaelangelo has some of the most iconic pieces of art whether it is the statue of David or the Sistine Chapel. Plus he's a Ninja Turtle.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:59 PM   #507
Danny
Head Coach

He was picked a long time ago barkeep
Old 06-26-2008, 01:59 PM   #508
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I think Micheangelo has been taken.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 02:06 PM   #509
Barkeep49
Coordinator

6.12 (Redux) Mark Twain - Scribe (1800s)

"I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him."
"Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities. Truth isn't."
"Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are more pliable."
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
"I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I approved of it."
"It usually takes more than three weeks to prepare a good impromptu speech."
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow."
"We have a criminal jury system which is superior to any in the world; and its efficiency is only marred by the difficulty of finding twelve men every day who don't know anything and can't read."

Last edited by Barkeep49 : 06-26-2008 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:06 PM   #510
Barkeep49
Coordinator

My bad, I missed that. I'll make Twain my 6.12 and look for a new 7.1
Old 06-26-2008, 02:18 PM   #511
Barkeep49
Coordinator

7.1 Pol Pot Historical Evil (1960s & 1970s)

Want to talk about mass murders? Let's not forget Pol Pot who managed to kill between 750,000 and 1.7 million people, or a QUARTER of his country during his disastrous rule as head of the Khmer Rogue of Cambodia.

Last edited by Barkeep49 : 06-26-2008 at 02:18 PM.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:20 PM   #512
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
7.1 Pol Pot Historical Evil (1960s & 1970s)

Want to talk about mass murders? Let's not forget Pol Pot who managed to kill between 750,000 and 1.7 million people, or a QUARTER of his country during his disastrous rule as head of the Khmer Rogue of Cambodia.

Nice value pick. If Hitler wouldn't have fallen to me, I had him stashed as a backup.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 02:21 PM   #513
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
6.10 Galileo Galilei (1600s) – intellectual

He contributed greatly to the development of modern science. According to wikipedia, he has been called the “Father of Modern Physics”, the “Father of Science”, the “Father of Modern Science”, and the “Father of modern Observational Astronomy”. He is known for the telescope, his contributions to understanding the solar system better, and his work in kinematics.

I almost took him last round, but decided I liked the Sun King better for my 1600s pick.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 02:22 PM   #514
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Hopefully Spleen stops by the next 15 minutes or so before I leave. Otherwise, as long as it's alright with everyone else, I will send LWSFS my first and second choice for picks so I don't delay things and so we don't have to wait for Oliegirl to get back.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:26 PM   #515
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

That's fine. YOu can do that
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 02:31 PM   #516
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

So...who do I play for again?
Old 06-26-2008, 02:33 PM   #517
Danny
Head Coach

I thought Galileo had a better chance of falling than Patton, plus I really wanted Patton for that spot, while I do have some good backups for Galileo
Old 06-26-2008, 02:37 PM   #518
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
I thought Galileo had a better chance of falling than Patton, plus I really wanted Patton for that spot, while I do have some good backups for Galileo

Agreed. The only reason why I took Galileo is because I decided the 1600s was much harder to fill then the era in which all my backups come from (there's enough that I could have waited until the 12th round to draft one). Since he was my top choice for the 1600s, I took him.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:50 PM   #519
Racer
College Benchwarmer

I have to leave, but I have pm'd my top 2 choices to Oliegirl, LWSFS, and Chief Rum. Oliegirl and Chief Rum, I have changed it from earlier.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:52 PM   #520
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Oh spleen is here now. Good. I will wait.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:02 PM   #521
RendeR
Coordinator

Cmon Spleen =) lets go =)
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 03:03 PM   #522
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Cmon Spleen =) lets go =)

Yeah. I want to leave. haha.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:10 PM   #523
spleen1015
Coordinator

Sorry guys. I had something urgent come up with work.

7.2 Stephen Hawking - Intellectual (1980s-1990s)

Hawking is the Lucasian Professor of Mathematics at the University of Cambridge, and a Fellow of Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge. He is known for his contributions to the fields of cosmology and quantum gravity, especially in the context of black holes, and his popular works in which he discusses his own theories and cosmology in general. These include the runaway popular science bestseller A Brief History of Time, which stayed on the British Sunday Times bestseller list for a record-breaking 237 weeks.

His key scientific works to date have included providing, with Roger Penrose, theorems regarding singularities in the framework of general relativity, and the theoretical prediction that black holes should emit radiation, which is today known as Hawking radiation, or sometimes as Bekenstein-Hawking radiation. His scientific career spans more than 40 years and his books and public appearances have made him an academic celebrity and world-renowned theoretical physicist. He is an Honorary Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts. Hawking is disabled by amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). The illness has progressed over the years and he is now almost completely paralysed.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 03:11 PM   #524
RendeR
Coordinator

Wow, amazingly good pick!
Old 06-26-2008, 03:15 PM   #525
Racer
College Benchwarmer

7.3 Pelé (1960s-1970s) - sportmen

Simply put, Pelé is considered by many to be the greatest player of all time in the world’s most popular sport. He was voted Athlete of the Century by the International Olympic Committee. He was a member of three World Cup Champions.

Last edited by Racer : 06-26-2008 at 03:15 PM. Reason: edited to correct category from athlete to sportsmen
Old 06-26-2008, 03:15 PM   #526
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

never mind! My pick is coming!

Last edited by LastWhiteSoxFanStanding : 06-26-2008 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:16 PM   #527
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Alright guys, I'm out for a couple of hours.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:21 PM   #528
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

7.4 Dalai Lama religious figure 2000's-present

Anyone the Chinese communists don't like has got to be good.

From his website:
Three Main Commitments in Life
Firstly, on the level of a human being, His Holiness first commitment is the promotion of human values such as compassion, forgiveness, tolerance, contentment and self-discipline. All human beings are the same. We all want happiness and do not want suffering. Even people who do not believe in religion recognize the importance of these human values in making their life happier. His Holiness refers to these human values as secular ethics. He remains committed to talk about the importance of these human values and share them with everyone he meets.

Secondly, on the level of a religious practitioner, His Holiness second commitment is the promotion of religious harmony and understanding among the world's major religious traditions. Despite philosophical differences, all major world religions have the same potential to create good human beings. It is therefore important for all religious traditions to respect one another and recognize the value of each other's respective traditions. As far as one truth, one religion is concerned, this is relevant on an individual level. However, for the community at large, several truths, several religions are necessary.

Thirdly, His Holiness is a Tibetan and carries the name of the Dalai Lama. Tibetans place their trust in him. Therefore, his third commitment is to the Tibetan issue. His Holiness has a responsibility to act as the free spokesperson of the Tibetans in their struggle for justice. As far as this third commitment is concerned, it will cease to exist once a mutually beneficial solution is reached between the Tibetans and Chinese.

However, His Holiness will carry on with the first two commitments till his last breath.

Last edited by LastWhiteSoxFanStanding : 06-26-2008 at 03:24 PM.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:29 PM   #529
RendeR
Coordinator

7.5 Oliver Cromwell, Ruler/Diplomat, 1600's

(25 April 15993 September 1658) was an English military and political leader best known for his involvement in making England into a republican Commonwealth and for his later role as Lord Protector of England, Scotland and Ireland. He was one of the commanders of the New Model Army which defeated the royalists in the English Civil War. After the execution of King Charles I in 1649, Cromwell dominated the short-lived Commonwealth of England, conquered Ireland and Scotland, and ruled as Lord Protector from 1653 until his death in 1658.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:29 PM   #530
Danny
Head Coach

the only issue with him is you're taking a specific Dhali Llama and not all of them I would think.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:33 PM   #531
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
the only issue with him is you're taking a specific Dhali Llama and not all of them I would think.

The curious thing about the Dalai lama is the act that they aren't really individuals, they all really comform to a pretty limited outlook and path throughought their times. So If you take one Dalai Lama, you pretty much get them all.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:39 PM   #532
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I thought about taking the Dhali Llama as a good person but the whole reincarnation thing was enough to make me look in another direction.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:42 PM   #533
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Quote:

I took his post to mean that he is taking the "current" Dalai Lama...please correct me if I'm wrong on that LWSFS.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:44 PM   #534
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Ok, AENeuman let me know of another pick this morning to keep this moving:

7.6 Robert E Lee, Military Leader, 1800's

Admirers pointed to his character and devotion to duty, not to mention his brilliant tactical successes in battle after battle against a stronger foe. Military historians continue to pay attention to his battlefield tactics and maneuvering, though many think he should have designed better strategic plans for the Confederacy. However, it should be noted that he was not given full direction of the Southern war effort until very late in the conflict. His reputation continued to build and by 1900 his cult had spread into the North, signaling a national apotheosis.[44] Today among the devotees of "The Lost Cause," General Lee is referred to as "The Marble Man."
Old 06-26-2008, 03:49 PM   #535
Buccaneer
Head Coach

7.7 Ansel Adams - WW2/1950s (Artist)

Perhaps the best known and beloved nature photographer of all time. His most famous works of those in Yosemite (Half Dome), Tetons (Snake River) and New Mexico (Moonlight, Taos and the internment camps) were taken during this period.

His lasting legacy includes helping to elevate photography to an art comparable with painting and music, and equally capable of expressing emotion and beauty. As he reminded his students, “It is easy to take a photograph, but it is harder to make a masterpiece in photography than in any other art medium".
Old 06-26-2008, 03:54 PM   #536
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
7.3 Pelé (1960s-1970s) - sportmen

Simply put, Pelé is considered by many to be the greatest player of all time in the world’s most popular sport. He was voted Athlete of the Century by the International Olympic Committee. He was a member of three World Cup Champions.

Damn it. Damn it. Damn it.

This was going to be my pick at 7.2. When Galileo was taken, I felt I need to get an Intellectual, so I switched up to Hawking.

Bah!
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 03:59 PM   #537
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Sent a short list to oliegirl. Leaving for t-ball shortly and may not be back till 8 since we may go out to eat afterward.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:07 PM   #538
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

I'll have Izulde's pick in a second...haven't seen him around lately so I'll keep it moving
Old 06-26-2008, 04:11 PM   #539
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Izulde's Pick

7.8 - 2. Vincent van Gogh - Artist (1800s)

van Gogh was an absolute master of color and mood and his impressionistic-style paintings are both distinctive and reknowned in the world today. He is one of the most influential painters on modern-day artists and his life story is one of bittersweet tragedy with mental illness, the infamous ear-cutting incident and his lifelong affection and closeness with his brother Theo.

This is the last pick I have from Izulde, so hopefully he's back before it cycles back around to him...
Old 06-26-2008, 04:33 PM   #540
Danny
Head Coach

7.9. Rembrandt- Artist, 1600's

Considered by many to be one of, if not the greatest painter ever.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:59 PM   #541
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Damn Damn Damn you Danny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One pick from him, just one little pick!!!
Old 06-26-2008, 05:00 PM   #542
ColtCrazy
College Starter

7.10 Martin Luther - Religious Leader - Renaissance

His leadership during the Protestant Reformation changed Christianity forever.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:01 PM   #543
ColtCrazy
College Starter

T=ball was cancelled. We are going out to eat now and should be back by 8-8:30.

Oliegirl, I'll email you a new list. I don't like that 3rd pick I originally sent you.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:01 PM   #544
Danny
Head Coach

That's a good pick too, I have someone else on my board for that period, but he's a good pick.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:03 PM   #545
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Hold off on my list pick. I'm changing it now.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 05:10 PM   #546
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Sent an updated list to oliegirl, see you all later! Some great picks...and still curses to you Danny!
Old 06-26-2008, 05:14 PM   #547
larrymcg421
Head Coach

7.11 Johann Sebastian Bach, Musician, 1700s

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 05:17 PM   #548
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

OK, LarryMcG is on the board followed by Noop/DT at 7.12 and 8.1.

Bad news, I'm heading out for the night, my hubby has a softball game and we are grabbing dinner out before we head to the game. I wont be home until at least 11. Chief will be here long before then though. I'll check in quickly before we leave in 15 - 20 minutes, but after that I'm out for the night.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:20 PM   #549
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Gah, Larry was posting as I was typing...that puts Noop/DT on the clock
Old 06-26-2008, 05:27 PM   #550
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

7.12 Hugh Hefner - 2000s-Present Day - Cultural Icon