Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-04-2008, 11:31 AM   #501
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Well, at this point, pretty much anybody could be a top 4 defensemen in Tampa. Who in the hell is left?

Assuming this trade goes down as listed, according to NHLnumbers.com, here's Tampa's blueline:

Carle
Paul Ranger
Alexandre Picard
Filip Kuba
Shane O'Brien
Mike Lundin (I have no idea who this is)
Matt Smaby
Doug Janik (see, Lundin, Mike, above)

I'm just figuring out my references then sending my application in, figure what the hell given that group of names.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:11 PM   #502
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
ML any info on the Swede D-man the Leafs signed today?

You mean Jonas Frogren? I believe that's just Swedish for Jeff Finger.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:31 PM   #503
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Well, at this point, pretty much anybody could be a top 4 defensemen in Tampa. Who in the hell is left?
I know a team that has some extra defencemen available cheap...
Old 07-04-2008, 12:31 PM   #504
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I'm just figuring out my references then sending my application in, figure what the hell given that group of names.
Not really, other than that he's the mystery defenceman that Fletcher and Jackson were talking about earlier this week.

I'm sure he's decent, but I won't really worry about him unless he makes the team.
Old 07-04-2008, 05:40 PM   #505
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Penguins sign Janne Pesonen from Finland. Apparently led the SM-LIga in scoring last year.

I think the Penguins are just trying to Detroit one better-- rather than finding Swedish players in the late rounds who become stars, they are picking up Finnish players as free agents.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 05:46 PM   #506
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Dola

The prospect in the TB/SJ deal turns out to be former 1st round pick Ty Wishart

Stever Bernier to Vancouver, 2nd (2010) and 3rd (2009) round picks to Buffalo

Craig Rivet to Buffalo, for two 2nd round picks (2009 and 2010).

Fedor Fedorov to NJ. (Some tell Lou he signed the wrong Federov)

Paul Mara back to Rangers, 1 year $1.95M

And two rumored items-

Jason Smith to Ottawa for 2 years
Vancouver preparing offersheet for Val Filppula

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 07-04-2008 at 06:03 PM.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:40 PM   #507
GMO
Mascot

Has Ray Emery been signed yet?

I'm waiting for that one.
GMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 08:21 PM   #508
Galaxy
Coordinator

I was pissed that the Sabres dealt Bernier, but then they pick up Rivet. I like it a lot. They just need to trade Max, and lock up our four RFA/last-year of contract guys (Miller, Paille, MacArthur, and Pominville).

Last edited by Galaxy : 07-04-2008 at 08:25 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 08:23 PM   #509
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Penguins sign Janne Pesonen from Finland. Apparently led the SM-LIga in scoring last year.

I think the Penguins are just trying to Detroit one better-- rather than finding Swedish players in the late rounds who become stars, they are picking up Finnish players as free agents.

Been there. Done that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ville_Leino

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...te-League.html
Detroit Red Wings sign Ville Leino of Finnish Elite League

2008-05-11 00:30:00

DETROIT - The Detroit Red Wings signed forward Ville Leino to a one-year entry level contract on Saturday.
The 24-year-old played for Jokerit of Finnish Elite League in 2007-08, leading the team in scoring with 77 points (28 goals and 49 assists) in 55 games.

Leino recently received the Oskanen Award, given annually to the league's best player in the regular season. He finished second in league scoring (77 points), second in plus-minus rating (plus-34) and third in goals scored (28).
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 07-04-2008 at 08:26 PM.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:25 PM   #510
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Vancouver preparing offersheet for Val Filppula

This really was the only potential negative coming out of the Hossa deal. The Wings are a bit up against it. They really should work on getting Filppula signed before some desperate team with a lot of cap space (like, say, Vancouver) signs him to some massive deal the Wings can't realistically match.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:46 PM   #511
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I have enjoyed the Burke-Lowe war. Burke recently lashed out, again, after signing Corey Perry.

Here is Lowe's retort, which is quite excellent:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2425...s=topStory_nhl

After a year of enduring the wrath of Brian Burke, Edmonton Oilers general manager Kevin Lowe finally fired back at the Anaheim Ducks' executive on Friday.

In a candid interview with Edmonton's Team 1260, Lowe - who stayed relatively quiet each time Burke went after him over the last 12 months - finally let it all out.

"Where do I begin?," started Lowe. "He's a moron, first of all. Secondly, he really believes that any news for the NHL is good news. Thirdly, he loves the limelight and I don't think anyone in hockey will dispute that. Lastly, he's in a pathetic hockey market where they can't get on any page of the newspaper let alone the front page of the sports, so any of this stuff carries on."

Burke and Lowe have been at odds since the Oilers put forth a five-year, $21.25 million offer sheet to Group II restricted free agent Dustin Penner last summer - a contract that the Ducks did not match and sent Penner to Edmonton.

At the time, Burke explained he had no problem with a team putting an offer sheet forward offer sheets but the money involved was the issue. Lowe's responded in kind on Friday, saying the standard for such contracts was set long before the Penner signing.

"I mean, if he wants to debate what our offer sheet did to them or to the salaries, anytime," he explained to Team 1260. "The reality is, Rick Nash's contract a number of years ago, (Patrice) Bergeron's and (Ilya) Kovalchuk's; that sets the standard - that's been going on for decades. I'm sick and tired of it. I know everybody in hockey is. I know our peers are like, 'well, that's Burkie.' This guy is an absolute media junkie and I guess he's achieving what he wants because he gets his name in the headlines. But I hate the fact that my name is linked to his. He's an underachieving wanna-be in terms of success in the NHL. He won a Stanley Cup? Great. I've won six Stanley Cups, you want to count rings? Who cares, it's just a little pathetic that he carries on."

The latest chapter in the feud came on Wednesday, after the Ducks signed restricted free agent forward Corey Perry to a five-year extension worth $26.63 million. Burke had some choice words about the new salary climate in the NHL after this week's high-profile signings, and blamed Lowe for eliminating the 'second contract' from team-player negotiations.
The long-standing rivalry between Lowe and Burke has also brought up whispers of a conspiracy theory that the two men are hamming it up for added exposure for the league.

"I remember Dean Lombardi last summer saying to me, 'You guys are (just) putting this on, you're not really feeling this way. The NHL likes this stuff, they want to create a little angst in the media and stuff and get some headlines?'" recalled Lowe.

"I said, 'No Dean, this is real.' He was shocked that this was going on but Burkie loves the limelight. He's all bluff and loud and Mac T (head coach Craig MacTavish) said it best - he's like the Wizard of Oz, you pull the curtains away and there's not much substance."

Burke, who joined the Ducks as general manager in 2005, helped build a championship contender in Anaheim that eventually won the Stanley Cup in 2007. That achievement didn't score too high with Lowe, who was quick to point out the other ups and downs of his time with the Ducks, along with the shortcomings of Burke's former team, the Vancouver Canucks.

"Here's a fact - he left (former Canucks GM) Dave Nonis nothing in Vancouver," he explained. "Nothing. He destroyed that team. If it wasn't for Nonis' incredible deals - to con Mike Keenan to get Luongo in Vancouver - that team was taking a nose dive two years ago."

"I mean, that's his M.O., but no one says anything. He goes into Anaheim and he inherits an incredible team. He gets Chris Pronger - not because of our relationship, it just so happened we had five or six teams and targeted their assets. We had Florida, Anaheim, Philadelphia, San Jose and Los Angeles. He just happened to throw enough assets our way to get the player. Kudos to him. He recognizes that at the end of the day, you throw enough assets, you get the best player and you get a good deal. You never know in this business if you're going to win at the end of the day. He could have just decimated the franchise forever. I'll tell you this, they have not much coming. Bobby Ryan has been a questionable pick at No. 2 (overall in 2005), and up until this draft, they tried to move down and did a nice job of trying to replenish their depth chart. They had nothing coming, and that appears to be his M.O."

Lowe even left an intriguing cliffhanger for the radio station's listeners.
"Don't even ask me about Scott Niedermayer, I've already lowered myself in terms of (talking about) how they acquired him," he said. "That's a story for another day, but they were able to bring Niedermayer and Pronger in and they won a Stanley Cup."

In closing, Lowe went so far as to send out a tongue-in-cheek message to his front office nemesis.

"Anaheim has decent players - Corey Perry is a hell of a player," he said. "What I really want to say about his bickering about parity and the salary cap is if you're unhappy about them, then trade him (Perry) our way, we'll be glad to have him."

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 07-04-2008 at 08:47 PM.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:06 PM   #512
Pyser
Pro Rookie

whats the niedermayer story??? give him back!!
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:10 PM   #513
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
This really was the only potential negative coming out of the Hossa deal. The Wings are a bit up against it. They really should work on getting Filppula signed before some desperate team with a lot of cap space (like, say, Vancouver) signs him to some massive deal the Wings can't realistically match.

I believe the threshold is around $3.9M, for 1st and 3rd compensation. Above that is 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

I could see Vancouver going about 4 years/$15.6. Last I've seen, Holland said the Wings have about $4M of space left. This season, I don't know if it would hurt-- Datsyuk, Z, Hossa, Franzen and Holmstrom definitely in the top 6, one guy (Cleary?) slides up. But the following season, assuming they give Z and Franzen long term deals, Hossa is gone, and two spots open in the top 6. Of course, there is probably a 9th rounder from 2 years ago from Kazhakstan who will slide right in!
Old 07-04-2008, 11:21 PM   #514
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I have enjoyed the Burke-Lowe war. Burke recently lashed out, again, after signing Corey Perry.

I was listening to the interview on the way to baseball tonight and I was howling the whole time. Great to hear somebody give it back to Burke although calling him a "moron" probably isn't what I would've said but that's not to say that Burke didn't have it coming.

"You want to count rings?"

I was almost crying after hearing that.

Can't wait for Burke's reaction.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 01:14 AM   #515
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I see this two ways.

Much of what Lowe says about Burke is true, and I think we all know it. That's the first way.

The second way I see it is that Lowe, regardless of what he says, is generally low class and a bad GM who shows his true colors in this article once again.

In other words, Burke may be no saint--but this coming from Lowe is like Bryan Marchment criticizing Chris Simon for being a head hunter.

At least Burke does his job good enough to win Cups and be targeted as a GM to hire by other franchises.

I feel for Oilers fans who continue to have to deal with the results of Lowe's handiwork.

Quote:

After a year of enduring the wrath of Brian Burke, Edmonton Oilers general manager Kevin Lowe finally fired back at the Anaheim Ducks' executive on Friday.

In a candid interview with Edmonton's Team 1260, Lowe - who stayed relatively quiet each time Burke went after him over the last 12 months - finally let it all out.

"Where do I begin?," started Lowe. "He's a moron, first of all. Secondly, he really believes that any news for the NHL is good news. Thirdly, he loves the limelight and I don't think anyone in hockey will dispute that. Lastly, he's in a pathetic hockey market where they can't get on any page of the newspaper let alone the front page of the sports, so any of this stuff carries on."

Burke and Lowe have been at odds since the Oilers put forth a five-year, $21.25 million offer sheet to Group II restricted free agent Dustin Penner last summer - a contract that the Ducks did not match and sent Penner to Edmonton.

At the time, Burke explained he had no problem with a team putting an offer sheet forward offer sheets but the money involved was the issue. Lowe's responded in kind on Friday, saying the standard for such contracts was set long before the Penner signing.

"I mean, if he wants to debate what our offer sheet did to them or to the salaries, anytime," he explained to Team 1260. "The reality is, Rick Nash's contract a number of years ago, (Patrice) Bergeron's and (Ilya) Kovalchuk's; that sets the standard - that's been going on for decades. I'm sick and tired of it. I know everybody in hockey is. I know our peers are like, 'well, that's Burkie.' This guy is an absolute media junkie and I guess he's achieving what he wants because he gets his name in the headlines. But I hate the fact that my name is linked to his. He's an underachieving wanna-be in terms of success in the NHL. He won a Stanley Cup? Great. I've won six Stanley Cups, you want to count rings? Who cares, it's just a little pathetic that he carries on."

The latest chapter in the feud came on Wednesday, after the Ducks signed restricted free agent forward Corey Perry to a five-year extension worth $26.63 million. Burke had some choice words about the new salary climate in the NHL after this week's high-profile signings, and blamed Lowe for eliminating the 'second contract' from team-player negotiations.
The long-standing rivalry between Lowe and Burke has also brought up whispers of a conspiracy theory that the two men are hamming it up for added exposure for the league.

"I remember Dean Lombardi last summer saying to me, 'You guys are (just) putting this on, you're not really feeling this way. The NHL likes this stuff, they want to create a little angst in the media and stuff and get some headlines?'" recalled Lowe.

"I said, 'No Dean, this is real.' He was shocked that this was going on but Burkie loves the limelight. He's all bluff and loud and Mac T (head coach Craig MacTavish) said it best - he's like the Wizard of Oz, you pull the curtains away and there's not much substance."

Burke, who joined the Ducks as general manager in 2005, helped build a championship contender in Anaheim that eventually won the Stanley Cup in 2007. That achievement didn't score too high with Lowe, who was quick to point out the other ups and downs of his time with the Ducks, along with the shortcomings of Burke's former team, the Vancouver Canucks.

"Here's a fact - he left (former Canucks GM) Dave Nonis nothing in Vancouver," he explained. "Nothing. He destroyed that team. If it wasn't for Nonis' incredible deals - to con Mike Keenan to get Luongo in Vancouver - that team was taking a nose dive two years ago."

"I mean, that's his M.O., but no one says anything. He goes into Anaheim and he inherits an incredible team. He gets Chris Pronger - not because of our relationship, it just so happened we had five or six teams and targeted their assets. We had Florida, Anaheim, Philadelphia, San Jose and Los Angeles. He just happened to throw enough assets our way to get the player. Kudos to him. He recognizes that at the end of the day, you throw enough assets, you get the best player and you get a good deal. You never know in this business if you're going to win at the end of the day. He could have just decimated the franchise forever. I'll tell you this, they have not much coming. Bobby Ryan has been a questionable pick at No. 2 (overall in 2005), and up until this draft, they tried to move down and did a nice job of trying to replenish their depth chart. They had nothing coming, and that appears to be his M.O."

Lowe even left an intriguing cliffhanger for the radio station's listeners.
"Don't even ask me about Scott Niedermayer, I've already lowered myself in terms of (talking about) how they acquired him," he said. "That's a story for another day, but they were able to bring Niedermayer and Pronger in and they won a Stanley Cup."

In closing, Lowe went so far as to send out a tongue-in-cheek message to his front office nemesis.

"Anaheim has decent players - Corey Perry is a hell of a player," he said. "What I really want to say about his bickering about parity and the salary cap is if you're unhappy about them, then trade him (Perry) our way, we'll be glad to have him."

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 01:15 AM   #516
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Oh, and BTW, Nonis so hated being left with nothing in Vancouver that he is now working with the Ducks under Burke.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:16 AM   #517
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
Can't wait for Burke's reaction.

True. That should be fun.

Old 07-05-2008, 01:19 AM   #518
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Oh, and quad-dola, FTR, I was disappointed to see Burke hash this up again the other day. I think it was enough to get it out last summer. There was really no reason to bring it up again. So Lowe's media whore charge certainly rings true there.

Old 07-05-2008, 02:51 AM   #519
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I see this two ways.

Much of what Lowe says about Burke is true, and I think we all know it. That's the first way.

The second way I see it is that Lowe, regardless of what he says, is generally low class and a bad GM who shows his true colors in this article once again.

In other words, Burke may be no saint--but this coming from Lowe is like Bryan Marchment criticizing Chris Simon for being a head hunter.

If Lowe is "low class" for reacting to Burke's numerous attacks, what does that make Burke, the guy who continues to pout over something that happened over a year ago and that has happened numerous times over the years to several other teams?

Quote:
At least Burke does his job good enough to win Cups and be targeted as a GM to hire by other franchises.

Burke has one Cup, no "s".

How many times has Lowe been fired from a GM job? Burke?

Mike Milbury and Mike Keenan have been targeted GMs in the past, I'm not sure I'd be using that as a "pro". And when the franchise targeting Burke is one that handed over the reigns to a rookie GM who literally ran the team into the ground, again, I'd think twice about using something like that as a "pro".

I don't agree with everything Lowe's done during his time as GM but that can be said by any fan of any GM.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 03:06 AM   #520
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If Lowe is "low class" for reacting to Burke's numerous attacks, what does that make Burke, the guy who continues to pout over something that happened over a year ago and that has happened numerous times over the years to several other teams?

You must have missed the part where I said I disapproved of what Burke has done as well. Plus, Lowe essentially said Burke was being low class, and I said I agreed with Lowe's assessment of Burke. Please review the previous posts if you have any questions.

And at least Burke never ripped the city and region and fans of Edmonton like Lowe did with Anaheim. Nor did Burke ever call out any Edmonton player, the way Lowe did Ryan. Honestly, quit while you're ahead, johnny. I don't think you're going to win many arguments battling for the quality of Lowe, as GM or human being.

Quote:
Burke has one Cup, no "s".

How many times has Lowe been fired from a GM job? Burke?

Mike Milbury and Mike Keenan have been targeted GMs in the past, I'm not sure I'd be using that as a "pro". And when the franchise targeting Burke is one that handed over the reigns to a rookie GM who literally ran the team into the ground, again, I'd think twice about using something like that as a "pro".

I don't agree with everything Lowe's done during his time as GM but that can be said by any fan of any GM.

Lowe is an icon in Edmonton. He would have been fired a couple times over in any other city. And, okay, it's one Cup. One more than Edmonton has with Lowe as GM. Soooo sorry to have added the 's'.

I understand interest from Toronto is hardly some clear indication of high quality as a GM, but, really, are you saying Burke isn't a good GM? For all his character flaws, the man did indeed build a consistent winner in Vancouver from a franchise that was never too successful before that, and then he goes to Anaheim and wins a Cup. What exactly is the point at which he becomes a good GM to you?

And if your standards are so high for GM, it is even more amazing to me that you can stand by Lowe.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 07-05-2008 at 03:16 AM.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:12 AM   #521
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I'd love Burke as my GM. I'd put him in the top 5 in the league.

Kevin Lowe? Not so much.

That said, this whole thing is stupid and makes them both look bad.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 01:55 PM   #522
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
whats the niedermayer story??? give him back!!
I've never heard much about this one. But I do remember that right around the time they signed him, they also signed his brother Rob to a contract that seemed a little generous. At the time, a few folks wondered if that was part of a side deal to sign Scott. "We can only pay you the maximum, like any other team, but sign with us and we can send some extra cash your brother's way too..."

Maybe a little shady but not really a big deal. And still better than the Lightning hiring their targeted free agents' fathers to front office jobs.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:20 PM   #523
Pyser
Pro Rookie

it was no secret scott wanted to play with his brother. the devils had been trying for a while to get rob on their team.

if you are saying the team paid rob more so he could give money to scott to get around the cap, thats shady. just paying rob more to get scott there is fine.
Old 07-05-2008, 03:44 PM   #524
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Maybe a little shady but not really a big deal. And still better than the Lightning hiring their targeted free agents' fathers to front office jobs.

Look at some of the Penguins drafts while he was head scout. This might hurt them more than it helps them.
Old 07-05-2008, 06:50 PM   #525
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Dola

Pens add another piece, replacing Ruutu with Matt Cooke.

PG reporting $1.2M/year for 2 seasons, which would be slightly less than Ruutu got from Ottawa, and a paycut from the $1.5M he made last season.

15 players file for arbitration:

Dennis Wideman - BOS
Chad LaRose - CAR
Marek Svatos - COL
Val Filppula - DET
Jay Bouwmeester - FLA
PM Bouchard - MIN
Stepahne Villeux - MIN
Ville Koistenen - NAS
Sean Bergenheim - NYI
Dan Fristche - NYR
Antoine Vermette - OTT
Jay McClement - STL
Marcel Goc - SJ
Brooks Laich - WAS
Shaone Morrison - WAS
Old 07-06-2008, 07:00 AM   #526
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Look at some of the Penguins drafts while he was head scout. This might hurt them more than it helps them.

Who are you talking about here?

Old 07-06-2008, 07:42 AM   #527
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Who are you talking about here?

Greg Malone. Ryan Malone's father.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:43 AM   #528
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Dola

Pens add another piece, replacing Ruutu with Matt Cooke.

Not a bad pick-up. I think Cooke's an upgrade.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:52 AM   #529
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Not a bad pick-up. I think Cooke's an upgrade.

Only place I think it's a drop is willingness to fight. I know Cooke isn't going to drop the gloves, where Ruutu would every so often. And with losing Malone, Roberts and Ruutu, Pittsburgh has no one, for the 50+ games Eric Godard doesn't dress, who will fight, outside of Max Talbot (5'11" 190) and Tyler Kennedy (5'10" 180).

Also Ruutu was surprisingly good in the shootout, something like 3 for 6.

But, skating wise and hands, Cooke is far ahead of Ruutu. And Cooke will probably take a regular shift on the PK.

I will give Ruutu he was more entertaining.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:58 AM   #530
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:

They hit on some late round guys (Max Talbot, Rob Scuderi), and had the slam dunk 1st round picks recently.

I don't think they've had a 2nd round pick player more than a handful of games in the NHL since Richard Park, 1994.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:51 PM   #531
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Ah okay. Threw me there. It seemed more like you were responding in the context of Burke, and I couldn't find anywhere in Burke's bio where he had served as head of scouting for the Pens.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:37 AM   #532
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Wings- Hawks, New Years Day, Wrigley Field.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:08 AM   #533
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Wings- Hawks, New Years Day, Wrigley Field.

Interesting choice for a venue. Would not have been my first pick for outdoors in Chicago

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:13 AM   #534
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Another reason to hate ESPN too....they were scrolling it on the bottom line of ESPN News as the "2nd outdoor game". I guess the first game in Edmonton doesn't count because it was in Canada? Or because it happened all the way back in 2003?
Old 07-07-2008, 10:43 AM   #535
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Tom Hicks is amazing. Sean Avery will now disappear from everyone's radar.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:57 AM   #536
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Another reason to hate ESPN too....they were scrolling it on the bottom line of ESPN News as the "2nd outdoor game". I guess the first game in Edmonton doesn't count because it was in Canada? Or because it happened all the way back in 2003?

I am sure they just got confused, since many a referring to it as the second "Winter Classic", since the first was called, what, the "Heritage Classic" or something like that?

Well, considering it's likely that Michigan wont be in a Jan 1 bowl game, this gives me something else to watch.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 07-07-2008 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:27 PM   #537
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Calgary signed Todd Bertuzzi to a one year deal at $1.95M.

I guess he's replacing Owen Nolan who signed with the Wild.

Based on what we've seen thus far, Calgary's already woeful offense has just become a little more woeful. Losing Huselius, Tanguay, and Nolan and replacing them with Camarelli and Bertuzzi is not much of a step up.

Iginal will have to score 60 goals and Phaneuf another 20.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:47 PM   #538
Pyser
Pro Rookie

seems like nolan got paid WAY too much. good deal on bertuzzi though, if he clicks there.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:15 PM   #539
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Bertizzi and Phaneuf on the same team? and coached by Mike Keenan? wow, the douche meter might just explode at some point.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:21 PM   #540
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
Bertizzi and Phaneuf on the same team? and coached by Mike Keenan? wow, the douche meter might just explode at some point.

Well, if it didn't explode while Burke, Pronger, and Bertuzzi were all with the Ducks, I think we may be safe, but it may take us constantly blowing liquid nitrogen on the douche meter like that bomb on the boat on "Lost".
Old 07-07-2008, 04:03 PM   #541
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
You root for a team with Darcy Tucker.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:13 PM   #542
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
You root for a team with Darcy Tucker.

oh how quickly we move on...
Old 07-07-2008, 05:23 PM   #543
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Asham to Philly (making his way through the Atlantic)

Penguins OFFICIALLY sign Janne Pesonen from Finnish League

RJ Umberger signed to 4 year/$15M deal in Columbus.

Carolina- Dennis Seidenberg 1 year, $1.2M

Toronto - Matt Stajan 2 years/$3.5M
Old 07-07-2008, 05:50 PM   #544
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Dola

And one more, Michael Peca back to Columbus.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:09 PM   #545
Pyser
Pro Rookie

stevenson - dowd - asham

the ex-devils, all-mighty 4th line of the flyers.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:44 PM   #546
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
stevenson - dowd - asham

the ex-devils, all-mighty 4th line of the flyers.

I guess this means Cote dresses only to get beat up like 30 times this year?

And Steve Downie?!
Old 07-07-2008, 06:49 PM   #547
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Dola

Brendan Morrison to Anaheim.

No matter the terms, I think the Ducks have to be over the cap. Someone (Schneider?) is on their way out.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:53 PM   #548
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I guess this means Cote dresses only to get beat up like 30 times this year?

And Steve Downie?!

Downie will be a 3rd liner I bet. He has a scoring touch but he is just a little loose upstairs.

And make fun of Cote all you want, but he won't back down to anyone.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 07-07-2008 at 06:54 PM.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:04 PM   #549
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
Downie will be a 3rd liner I bet. He has a scoring touch but he is just a little loose upstairs.

And make fun of Cote all you want, but he won't back down to anyone.

Aren't there a ton of forwards ahead of Downie?

Richards, Carter, Knuble, Gagne (if healthy), Upshall, Lupul, Hartnell, Briere off the top of my head. Metropolit, assuming at center I think would trump him too. Just my guess though.

And Cote...Laraque did say he was, pound for pound, the toughest guy in the NHL.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:17 PM   #550
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, if it didn't explode while Burke, Pronger, and Bertuzzi were all with the Ducks, I think we may be safe, but it may take us constantly blowing liquid nitrogen on the douche meter like that bomb on the boat on "Lost".

Oh come on, the Avs had Roy and Lemieux (the ass one) and that bitch Forsberg all at once; how can you pick on the Ducks? And you call yourself a Wings fan?

Come to think of it, Chelios represents all sorts of douche by himself.