Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-03-2007, 10:53 PM   #501
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
After watching the 4th qtr, I don't want to EVER see the fucking Ravens again. God, I hate them even more than I did before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
Baltimore absolutely choked that away. Their various blitzes caused problems all night and then they just rushed 3 while the Patriots easily moved down the field. Then, of course, the things they did to kill themselves starting with the timeout on 4th and 1. Everybody knows Brady loves to run a quick sneak there. And the Ravens' defenders knew it, too.

Just an embarrassing way to lose. All the way to the end when the receiver allowed himself to be tackled instead of lateraling the ball. Stupid decision after stupid decision. That's why they're a losing team.

I couldn't agree more. What a sickening poor display of football over the last couple of minutes. Piss poor coaching, piss poor defensive play, piss poor everything. The Ravens should be ashamed of how they just completely coughed this game away. This team should just go home, and just eat their own shit all night and choke to death on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:53 PM   #502
Galaril
Pro Starter

Let me say it before I read it in every newspaper and on the sports radio stations from Maine to Rhode Island:

" The Pats showed great perserverance and overcame there poor play to beat the Ravens"
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:53 PM   #503
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Good point on Mark Clayton, Huckleberry. If I'm in his shoes, I don't care if I don't see a single black jersey anywhere around me. I will not go down with that football. Hell, I'd lateral it, throw it, roll it, or even just drop it, but I would not take that football to the ground with me. At the time it's happening, maybe it's a snap decision that just doesn't come easily, but that's something that the players should decide before the play even starts. Do not go down with the football under any circumstances.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:54 PM   #504
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
He was trying to lateral it as he went down.

I saw that. It was about a second-and-a-half too late. It should have been his first reaction. Last resort he should have just dropped the ball. You absolutely never allow yourself to be tackled in the field of play on that last play like that. No excuse.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:55 PM   #505
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

WHy on earth would the DC call a time out in that spot. It makes no sense
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:55 PM   #506
molson
General Manager

The Pats have made AJ Feeley and Kyle Boller look good on consecutive weeks. Not a great sign. On the other hand, there's something impressive about how they've won in the midst of this "slump".
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:55 PM   #507
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
Baltimore absolutely choked that away. Their various blitzes caused problems all night and then they just rushed 3 while the Patriots easily moved down the field.

That too. Oh well I am sure someone won big dollars taking the Ravens plus the points.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:55 PM   #508
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Ray Lewis and Bart Scott need to go and re-enact 2 girls 1 cup after this performance.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:56 PM   #509
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Ray Lewis and Bart Scott need to go and re-enact 2 girls 1 cup after this performance.
I think they do this every week. Ray Lewis' pregame "dance" is him working the final squirts out.

...isn't it?
Old 12-03-2007, 10:56 PM   #510
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Yeah, umm I wouldn't mention considering you won te game a total ballshit pussy type no holding call on Watson there.

My team wasn't playing.. so I didn't really win much of anything. Did enjoy the game thouggh
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:57 PM   #511
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
The Pats have made AJ Feeley and Kyle Boller look good on consecutive weeks. Not a great sign. On the other hand, there's something impressive about how they've won in the midst of this "slump".

Their only challenge is next week. If they win that, then it's a lock for 16-0, as they play the Jets (very bad), the Lolphins (legendarily bad), and the Giants (overrated and bad).
Quote:
Old 12-03-2007, 10:58 PM   #512
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, umm I wouldn't mention considering you won te game a total ballshit pussy type no holding call on Watson there.

Honestly, I just watched the playm and I didn't see a holding call, but you're the 2nd guy to report that, so I might have missed it.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:59 PM   #513
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Honestly, I just watched the playm and I didn't see a holding call, but you're the 2nd guy to report that, so I might have missed it.

Yeah, he basically pulled the guys jersry off and fucked the guys shoulders.
Quote:
Old 12-03-2007, 10:59 PM   #514
Buccaneer
Head Coach

On that last pass, there were so many penalties. Not only the hold but the huge pushoff on #21.

Go Pats (but they barely escaped with their lives on this one, unless the fucking Ravens continue their gangbang outside of the Pats lockerroom).
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:59 PM   #515
Rizon
Pro Starter

I've just given my dog permission to kill any birds she finds. I hate all birds now they must die.
Quote:
Old 12-03-2007, 10:59 PM   #516
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
Their only challenge is next week. If they win that, then it's a lock for 16-0, as they play the Jets (very bad), the Lolphins (legendarily bad), and the Giants (overrated and bad).

If the Ravens and Eagles played like they did, I really don't see the Giants that far away from being able to give the Pats a game either.. Not like Eli is any worse than Boller. With the Pats playing this way, I'll call it right now.. the Steelers win next week and its not even close. I bet the Steelers win by 10.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:00 PM   #517
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, he superman'd that ho on the final hail mary.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:00 PM   #518
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:

Same could have been said for the Colts. It just toughen up the Pats and Colts.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:01 PM   #519
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
If the Ravens and Eagles played like they did, I really don't see the Giants that far away from being able to give the Pats a game either.. Not like Eli is any worse than Boller. With the Pats playing this way, I'll call it right now.. the Steelers win next week and its not even close. I bet the Steelers win by 10.

lol, lay off the crack
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:02 PM   #520
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Fun fact: The last team to shut out New England was the Miami Dolphins. Maybe the Dolphins will do it to the Patriots again this year!
Old 12-03-2007, 11:02 PM   #521
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Let me say it before I read it in every newspaper and on the sports radio stations from Maine to Rhode Island:

" The Pats showed great perserverance and overcame there poor play to beat the Ravens"

Close enough.

BALTIMORE (AP) -- The New England Patriots are still perfect, but looking mighty vulnerable.

New England pulled off its greatest escape thus far to become the sixth team in NFL history to start a season with 12 victories. For the second straight week, it was a struggle against a losing team, but the incredibly resourceful Patriots got Tom Brady's 8-yard touchdown pass to Jabar Gaffney with 44 seconds left to beat the Baltimore Ravens 27-24 Monday night.

The winning drive in the final minutes covered 73 yards and required two fourth-down conversions, one on a defensive holding penalty 6 seconds before Gaffney beat Dawan Landry in the left corner of the end zone.

Driven to distraction by a Baltimore defense at times reminiscent of the 2000 unit that led the Ravens (4-8) to a Super Bowl victory, Brady came through late -- as he always seems to

Eight days after edging Philadelphia 31-28, the Patriots barely kept alive their pursuit of the only unblemished record in NFL history, Miami's 17-0 in 1972.

With Pittsburgh (9-3) up next, the Patriots must recapture some of their record-setting ways from earlier in the season to keep their flawless record intact.

Then again, teh Pats did drop 8 points off the board with two normally sure handed receivers dropping TD's in the end zone.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:04 PM   #522
Jas_lov
College Starter

Quote:

Will they run the ball and get pressure on Brady? Huckleberry was exactly right. The Ravens stopped putting pressure on Brady and instead rushed 3 guys everytime! They seemed to have their most success when they got to him! So the Ravens loss should all be placed on Rex Ryan! He stopped blitzing and called a terrible timeout! He Joe Gibbsed his team a loss tonight!
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:07 PM   #523
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
lol, lay off the crack

Call me crazy, but the Steelers defense is pretty good, and the Pats aren't really playing like the juggernaut of a few weeks ago. I think next week is the week they go down!
Old 12-03-2007, 11:07 PM   #524
molson
General Manager

Brady put on a shirt and tie for the press conference. What a nice kid. Weird.

Last edited by molson : 12-03-2007 at 11:08 PM.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:08 PM   #525
MikeVic
Head Coach

Oh I know, Boller should've thrown that Hail Mary on one knee. I bet it's a TD then.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:10 PM   #526
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Sooooo, anybody watching Saints-Falcons next Monday?

Oh yeah, that'll be awesome! Vick vs Brooks. Two mobile QBs.

What do you mean...?
Old 12-03-2007, 11:10 PM   #527
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Oh I know, Boller should've thrown that Hail Mary on one knee. I bet it's a TD then.

There's no way they could get a receiver up on the goalposts in time.
MalcPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:11 PM   #528
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Tom Brady looked like he was heading off to an Ivy League Kegger after the interview
Old 12-03-2007, 11:12 PM   #529
MikeVic
Head Coach

There's a rule where you can't use the goalposts, eh? Dead ball once it hits?
Old 12-03-2007, 11:12 PM   #530
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Tom Brady looked like he was heading off to an Ivy League Kegger after the interview

Gonna tap some Ivy League ass would be my guess.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:14 PM   #531
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
the Ravens might have pulled off one of the biggest upsets in NFL history.

That can't be right? Or is it another one of those ignorant things that sportswriters say because they don't know anything that happened before 1997?
Old 12-03-2007, 11:16 PM   #532
Celeval
Pro Starter

Somewhere, there is someone who just was knocked out of the fantasy football playoffs because Mark Clayton picked up 52 receiving yards.

That person will have a hit out on whoever didn't flag Derrick Mason for either of his pass interferences on the final play within the week.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:17 PM   #533
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
That can't be right? Or is it another one of those ignorant things that sportswriters say because they don't know anything that happened before 1997?

I am sure this has to do with the spread. IIRC it was Pats minus 22 for this game.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 12-03-2007, 11:24 PM   #534
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Are you f'n serious? No way they should have been -19 or -22, on the road against a top 5 defense in bad weather.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:28 PM   #535
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

(:55) (No Huddle, Shotgun) T.Brady pass short left to J.Gaffney for 8 yards, TOUCHDOWN. 26 24
The Replay Assistant challenged the pass completion ruling, and the play was Upheld.
PENALTY on BLT-B.Scott, Unsportsmanlike Conduct, 15 yards, enforced between downs.
PENALTY on BLT-B.Scott, Unsportsmanlike Conduct, 15 yards, enforced between downs.
S.Gostkowski extra point is GOOD, Center-L.Paxton, Holder-C.Hanson. 27 24
PENALTY on BLT-E.Reed, Defensive Offside, 5 yards, enforced between downs.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:31 PM   #536
Kang
n00b

I want to see a team just tee off on Brady all game. **Looks Pittsburgh's way**

What a tragedy of an ending. Two weeks in a row a crappy team lets the Pats off the hook.
Kang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:33 PM   #537
Daimyo
College Starter

That was a great game, but I'm so glad I'm not a Ravens fan right now. Talk about gut punches... how many times can a team blow a win in one game?
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:47 PM   #538
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

I'm gonna throw this in, don't care what anybody thinks about it.

The NFL refs are doing everything in their power to get a Pats vs Colts rematch.

You can't tell me Kraft and Polian are giving a little extra under the table to the refs to call more flags on the opposing team, and less for their team.

2 games in 2 days, I've seen the refs rape and pillage the Colts and Pats opponents.

Money talks, and the NFL turns blind.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:50 PM   #539
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Are you f'n serious? No way they should have been -19 or -22, on the road against a top 5 defense in bad weather.

I googled a gambling site that still had the info up. Looks like the Pats -20.5 yesterday and closed at 19.5. They had a link to a LA Times article

Quote:
Patriots spread it out on the road
New England favored by 20 at Baltimore on Monday night.

By Lonnie White
Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

December 2, 2007

Time for the weekly update on the undefeated New England Patriots, who continue to rip through the NFL.

At 11-0, New England is listed as a 20-point road favorite over Baltimore (4-7), which is the biggest point spread for a road favorite in a non-lockout/strike season.

The previous high was 17 points, set in 1976 with Dallas over Seattle; the Baltimore Colts over the New York Jets; and Patriots over Tampa Bay, according to World Features Syndicate, which publishes the Glantz-Culver line.

In 1987, there was a bigger spread for a road-team favorite, but it was a replacement game with San Francisco as a 23-point favorite at Atlanta, according to Las Vegas Sports Consultants.

Although New England is 9-2 against the spread this season, the Patriots displayed some cracks last week in a victory over Philadelphia. A 22-point home favorite, New England failed to cover the line and squeezed out a 31-28 win.

But the offensively challenged Ravens, who have lost five straight games, are 1-10 this season against the spread. Baltimore has lost its last nine versus the spread against an AFC opponent and is 0-4 against the spread in its last four games as a home underdog.

It will be interesting to see if the NFL downplays this lopsided point-spread matchup for its marquee Monday night game.

The Super Bowl is still more than two months away, but several Las Vegas sports books have increased the odds for the AFC up from -11 to -15 over the NFC.

If the Patriots make it to the Super Bowl, they could be made the biggest favorite ever if they match up against any team other than Dallas, according to oddsmakers.

Super Bowl III holds the record for largest point spread, with the Baltimore Colts 18-point favorites over the New York Jets.

Here are a few NFL proposition bets for this weekend, according to Bodoglife.com: In how many of the remaining games will New England's Randy Moss fail to catch a touchdown pass? zero (even odds), one (1-2), two (3-2), three (4-1), four (10-1) or five (20-1); Will the Patriots have another 100-yard rusher this season? Yes (+200); No (-300); Head-to-head in tackles: New England's Adalius Thomas +1 ½ tackles (-115); Baltimore's Ray Lewis -1½ tackles (-115); How many special teams touchdowns will Chicago's Devin Hester score in the final five games? Over 1.5 (-120); Under 1.5 (-120).
Old 12-03-2007, 11:58 PM   #540
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker rocky View Post

The NFL refs are doing everything in their power to get a Pats vs Colts rematch.

You can't tell me Kraft and Polian are giving a little extra under the table to the refs to call more flags on the opposing team, and less for their team.

2 games in 2 days, I've seen the refs rape and pillage the Colts and Pats opponents.

wow. You're insane. absolutely delusional
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 12:01 AM   #541
molson
General Manager

Quote:

Pats/Colts might be a nice ratings boost, but probably not enough to justify prison time, I would guess.

Would you stake your freedom on a part-time referee (some of whom are attorneys)?
Old 12-04-2007, 12:08 AM   #542
Jim G.
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
wow. You're insane. absolutely delusional

There's a certain irony to the complaint. The newer rule interpretations of pass interference and illegal contact/holding are due to the Patriots' man-handling of Colts receivers in the championship game about three years ago.

Now, the blueprint to beat the Patriots is to beat up the receivers at the line of scrimmage. If the rules hadn't changed, that blueprint becomes much more successful.

Belichick in this case benefits from what he taught the league.
Jim G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 12:12 AM   #543
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
My team wasn't playing.. so I didn't really win much of anything. Did enjoy the game thouggh

Oops sorry. Neither was mine
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 12:25 AM   #544
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Why is Gaffney still on the Pats?

Need you ask this anymore?
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 12:42 AM   #545
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

I love Jacksonville fans.. Just come to the realization that right now you are a 2nd tier team. If you were in the NFC you could easily be playing in the Super Bowl, but no in the AFC.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 12:44 AM   #546
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Pats pretty lucky on those 4th down plays. Any of them go the other way, and that's ball game. Kudos to the Ravens.

I was brimming with confidence a few weeks back about at least going 16-0. Now, the other teams are getting injections of confidence seeing both Birds' teams getting close. The Steelers are going to be jacked next week. If the game was in Pitt, I would be feeling a lot uneasier. Dolphins and Jets stand no chance. I'm not sure what I think about NYG in NY. They can rush the passer, but the rest of the team, I dunno.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:00 AM   #547
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Good point.

How is that not an ejection though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Okay this is just silly. How/Why isn't Scott just ejected?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
I dunno. I don't think there are any ejection rules other than for swinging or kicking at another player, and recently if the official thinks someone intentionally makes a helmet-to-helmet hit.

I missed this yesterday and had the same thoughts about the lack of an ejection. Is it really possible that those "seven little words" aren't so bad in football, but are the absolute sins in other sports?
Old 12-04-2007, 08:12 AM   #548
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:

This is patently ludicrous regarding last night's game. The Ravens earned each and every penalty called against them, and there were a few not thrown at all (the mugging on the final long completion being the most obvious example). The Ravens played a touch too physical, plus had some mental breakdowns, and that led to the penalty imbalance. The Ravens were upset at how many penalties they got, and the Pats were upset they weren't called for even more, and I have yet to see a finger pointed at a play where the Pats did something illegal but the refs overlooked it. I'm not going to say they refed a perfect game, and I'd love to hear more about the comments between the officials and Ravens (although even Rolle's whining includes mention of him jawing at the official before the official said something back), but the Ravens brought much of it on themselves last night.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:24 AM   #549
Huckleberry
College Starter

Regarding Scott, I'm pretty sure that in college football two unsportsmanlike conduct penalties on the same player is an automatic ejection. And that's for the whole game. So an unsportsmanlike conduct on the first play of the game and then another in the fourth quarter means he's tossed.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:29 AM   #550
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez View Post
Pats pretty lucky on those 4th down plays. Any of them go the other way, and that's ball game. Kudos to the Ravens.

I was brimming with confidence a few weeks back about at least going 16-0. Now, the other teams are getting injections of confidence seeing both Birds' teams getting close. The Steelers are going to be jacked next week. If the game was in Pitt, I would be feeling a lot uneasier. Dolphins and Jets stand no chance. I'm not sure what I think about NYG in NY. They can rush the passer, but the rest of the team, I dunno.

Miracle win. Revenge of the ninja timeout strikes again.

Giants are pretty much locked into their playoff slot. They will be playing the following week after the Pats game. I don't see Coughlin going all out in Week 17. Pats will have a bye week after so I would guess it's all hands on deck to go 16-0.

Jets and Dolphins have no chance. It comes down to Pit this week. I like the Pats chances.