Head Coach

Juan Guzman!
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 01:51 PM   #502
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
When your fastball starts topping in the low 90s, the change doesn't look so good anymore. For reference see: Foulke, Keith.
Jamie Moyer and Trevor Hoffman are having a chuckle at this post.

The effectiveness of a changeup is primarily based on the difference in speed between it and a pitcher's fastball and how closely the delivery of each pitch matches each other.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 01:51 PM   #503
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
When did Foulke throw 98 MPH?

I wasn't referring to the specific velocity, just that when your fastball loses a lot of bite, like Foulke's did, then the "big" changeup is no longer a winner.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:05 PM   #504
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Just read this on FJM; 18 sportswriters were up for induction into the BWAA and 16 were selected. The two that didn't make it were Keith Law and Rob Neyer...

Go to

http://www.meadowparty.com/blog/

Read the December 7th post and its comments. Its KLaw and a BWAA writer arguing about the situation.

As for Neyer he said he doesn't give a damn. He also said on his blog he will ask his editor to withhold his name from future ballots so he doesn't affect future internet writers.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:41 PM   #505
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosshogg23 View Post
Go to

http://www.meadowparty.com/blog/

Read the December 7th post and its comments. Its KLaw and a BWAA writer arguing about the situation.

As for Neyer he said he doesn't give a damn. He also said on his blog he will ask his editor to withhold his name from future ballots so he doesn't affect future internet writers.

Well, my opinion of the BWAA hasn't changed....

Its a club of guys that want to keep out the guys that actually do some research on players and teams rather than simply writing one-sided articles based on the one or two teams they watch on a regular basis.

For those that didn't read it, although Neyer and Law were technically up for consideration the ballot that went to the BWAA members had two choices: Either take none of the internet writers at all or take the 16 that were chosen and leave out Law and Neyer. The reason the ballot looked that way rather than vote for individuals is still being argued.

Tracy Ringolsby (writer that covers the Rockies) goes to Law's blog and calls him a liar on several things Law mentioned in his post and goes on to look like a classless tool. Law replies to a few things, but you can tell he just wants the whole thing dropped.

And this is the group that determines postseason awards. What a joke.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:49 PM   #506
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Yup - check out the large baseballprimer.com thread on the subject, with posts from all parties.

Its old, reactionary luddites against a newer generation - nothing new here. We see this debate here all the time, and will continue to do so. The BBWA is full of would-be gatekeepers that are terrified of becoming irrelevant.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:42 PM   #507
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

I like both Neyer and Law quite a bit. I have read Neyer for nearly 10 years. Law is entertaining as hell to me. His chats are about books/food/baseball. I appreciate all of those things.

This appeared to be a situation similar to 1st or 2nd ballot HOFer's in baseball. Sure they are HOFer's but you want to send a point when you elect them the 2nd season vs. the 1st. Well the writers sent a point. We are petty and can't argue for shit.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:46 PM   #508
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Cubs officially nab Fukudome, in what's both exciting and terrifying to me.

Terms unknown right now, they're saying 4-5 years, around $50 million.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:20 AM   #509
dervack
College Prospect

4/48
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 02:34 AM   #510
MrBug708
Head Coach

Kent stays with the Dodgers 1 year 9 million dollars
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 10:18 AM   #511
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Cubs officially nab Fukudome, in what's both exciting and terrifying to me.

Terms unknown right now, they're saying 4-5 years, around $50 million.

Should be a very good signing although he doesn't fit in with the Cubs since he actually takes pitches, works the count, and is willing to take a walk.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:16 PM   #512
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Miguel Tejada has been traded............

Quote:
Orioles send shortstop Tejada to Houston for 5 players
ESPN.com news services

Updated: December 12, 2007, 1:04 PM ET

Baltimore Orioles shortstop Miguel Tejada finally got his wish for a change of scenery, as he was traded to the Houston Astros on Wednesday.

In return for the four-time All-Star, the Orioles will get outfielder Luke Scott, pitchers Matt Albers, Troy Patton and Dennis Sarfate, and third baseman Michael Costanzo.

The blockbuster trade was first reported by The Baltimore Sun.

ESPN.com's Keith Law contributed to this report.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:18 PM   #513
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I don't know about the long term, but in the short term, the 2008 AL East just became even more of a two team division.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:28 PM   #514
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Now that Tejada is traded, hopefully the Orioles will re-open talks about trading Brian Roberts to the Cubs.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:36 PM   #515
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

still surprised to see tejada gone...and to houston...heh
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:05 PM   #516
korme
Go Reds

Dammit! The Cubbies, Brew Crew, and Stros all making moves in the Central.

No good!
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:26 PM   #517
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281 View Post

No good!

You have Dusty Baker. Do you need anything else?
Old 12-12-2007, 04:45 PM   #518
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:

No good!
Rumor going around is that the Reds are trying to make a play for Haren or Blanton and they are dangling Homer Bailey. If I'm Bailey, I'm hoping that deal gets done so I can get as far away from Dusty as possible. And speaking of Dusty, wouldn't Rich Harden be a better fit there? At least he wouldn't be blamed for Harden's arm troubles.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 05:01 PM   #519
Vince
Pro Starter

Sabean signs Aaron Rowand for 5 years, $60 million. Because the Giants need MORE centerfielders. Sigh.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 05:41 PM   #520
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince View Post
Sabean signs Aaron Rowand for 5 years, $60 million. Because the Giants need MORE centerfielders. Sigh.

You'd rather trade Lincecum for Rios?

I know I'd rather you guys did that instead of sign Rowand, that's for sure.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 05:48 PM   #521
Atocep
Coordinator

I don't get what Sabean is trying to do. Does he think the Giants are constructed in a way that they're going to be contenders with Rowand?

He should be rebuilding (or at least getting their minor league system above beer league softball level) and instead he resigns Vizquel to be the every day shortstop and gives Rowand $60 million over the next 5 years.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:02 PM   #522
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
You have Dusty Baker. Do you need anything else?

Uhh, a replacement for Dusty Baker?
Old 12-12-2007, 06:04 PM   #523
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack View Post
Rumor going around is that the Reds are trying to make a play for Haren or Blanton and they are dangling Homer Bailey. If I'm Bailey, I'm hoping that deal gets done so I can get as far away from Dusty as possible. And speaking of Dusty, wouldn't Rich Harden be a better fit there? At least he wouldn't be blamed for Harden's arm troubles.

I've also heard we are interested in Bedard.

FWIW, my brother was a card dealer for the Reds at this years RedsFest, and Todd Coffey sat at my brother's table. When Homer Bailey was introduced and on the mic, Coffey was talking so negatively about him that my brother left feeling all the Reds players secretly think he's a douchebag. I don't know what, if anything, to make of that.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:08 PM   #524
JeeberD
General Manager

I'm extremely "Meh" about the Tejada deal... :\

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 07:55 PM   #525
Terps
College Prospect

Quote:
I've also heard we are interested in Bedard.

The Reds may very well end up with him if the Dodgers are serious about taking Matt Kemp out of trade talks.

Word is the Reds would offer some package of Bailey, Votto, Cueto, Hamilton and Encarnacion. The Cardinals said they would trade Colby Rasmus in a package for him, but they don't have much else.

The Mariners are a strong possibility too with Jones, Morrow, Balentien, Butler and Sherrill.
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 08:20 PM   #526
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The Reds need to keep one of Bailey and Cueto and one of Votto, Hamilton and Encarnacion. The trade also has to be contingent on a long term deal. If they can do that, I'd be all for it. I get the feeling that Castellini thinks the NL is weak enough that the Reds could get to the World Series this year. With a top three of Harang, Bedard and Arroyo they'd at least stand a shot if they got there.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:27 PM   #527
Dunleavy
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Cubs officially nab Fukudome

i think this is a very good signing for my Cubbies. hopefully this will end the Roberts deal b/c i didnt think that was going to be good deal for the team

i heard Jim Hendry (the gm) say today Fukdome is a 5 tool player w/15-20 hr's. a veteran scout saw him in the '04 Olympics and they tracked him from there and regularly over the last two seasons. he called it perfect timing on Fukudome as the market for complete lefthanded OF's was thin to say the least.
Dunleavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 08:31 PM   #528
st.cronin
General Manager

Fukudome is a player? I thought that was the name of the Marlins new ballpark.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 08:33 PM   #529
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terps View Post
The Reds may very well end up with him if the Dodgers are serious about taking Matt Kemp out of trade talks.

Word is the Reds would offer some package of Bailey, Votto, Cueto, Hamilton and Encarnacion

My favorite thing about that list of names is that Jay Bruce isn't one of them. Hamilton was quickly a fan favorite here and it'd be odd to abandon him after such a story, I really wonder what it's doing to his very shaky psyche right now, the subject of such rumors.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:04 PM   #530
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terps View Post

Word is the Reds would offer some package of Bailey, Votto, Cueto, Hamilton and Encarnacion. The Cardinals said they would trade Colby Rasmus in a package for him, but they don't have much else.

The Mariners are a strong possibility too with Jones, Morrow, Balentien, Butler and Sherrill.
Please let the Reds win this bidding - the M's have no chance to catch New York, Boston, Detroit, Anaheim and Cleveland this year, so there's no good reason to trade away young/cheap talent for 1 pitcher, especially one that has yet to pitch 200 innings in a season.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 10:28 PM   #531
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I am trying--and failing--to understand why we non-tendered Dallas McPherson today. It's not like he would have won some huge amount from arbitrators for being able to suit up for maybe 50 games in the past two seasons (none of which were in 2007).

The only way we overcome our continuing inability to actually bring in a power-hitting third baseman is if we keep all the possible options we have around and see who rises to the top.

Someone's going to take a chance on this guy, and he will prove healthy after all and hit 30-plus dingers for them, and we will look like doofuses again (see Jenks, Bobby; Turnbow, Derrick for a couple other examples of players who were seemingly discarded for nothing).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 12-12-2007 at 10:28 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 11:04 PM   #532
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
You'd rather trade Lincecum for Rios?

I know I'd rather you guys did that instead of sign Rowand, that's for sure.

This is the lesser of two evils, sure...but he's 30, coming off a career year, and he's now being paid $12M per year for the next 5 years. Sigh.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:01 AM   #533
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I am trying--and failing--to understand why we non-tendered Dallas McPherson today. It's not like he would have won some huge amount from arbitrators for being able to suit up for maybe 50 games in the past two seasons (none of which were in 2007).

That's odd. What happened to him? A couple of years ago, he was one of those untouchable prospects and he's already out on the street?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:35 AM   #534
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
That's odd. What happened to him? A couple of years ago, he was one of those untouchable prospects and he's already out on the street?

SI

He ruptured a disk in his back and has a degenerative condition in one or more of the disks, IIRC.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:14 AM   #535
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunleavy View Post
i think this is a very good signing for my Cubbies. hopefully this will end the Roberts deal b/c i didnt think that was going to be good deal for the team

i heard Jim Hendry (the gm) say today Fukdome is a 5 tool player w/15-20 hr's. a veteran scout saw him in the '04 Olympics and they tracked him from there and regularly over the last two seasons. he called it perfect timing on Fukudome as the market for complete lefthanded OF's was thin to say the least.

He's called more than a few people a 5 tool player.

My worry is the fact that Fukudome may suffer from culture shock / Wrigley shock and struggle early. Cubs fans are a lot less patient than they once were, and when you're pulling in 10+ mill a year, if you're not producing, they're going to crucify him.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:11 AM   #536
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince View Post
This is the lesser of two evils, sure...but he's 30, coming off a career year, and he's now being paid $12M per year for the next 5 years. Sigh.

It's only money, and it's a lot cheaper to throw that kind of money at a free agent outfielder than a free agent pitcher, comparatively speaking.

See: Zito, Barry
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 09:36 AM   #537
MikeVic
Head Coach

Nice, so I'm hearing rumours about Lincecum, Cain, Bedard, Bay... and the Jays sign Eckstein. We'll have a starting SS I guess, but I thought we were more about OBP than AVG.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 12:26 PM   #538
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Nice, so I'm hearing rumours about Lincecum, Cain, Bedard, Bay... and the Jays sign Eckstein. We'll have a starting SS I guess, but I thought we were more about OBP than AVG.

Queue articles on how fitting it is that the day after the Mitchell report is released scrappy Eckstein shows how humble he is by taking a 1-year deal at less than market value.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:46 PM   #539
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post

I would have really preferred to see MacDonald as the everyday SS rather than go this route. Ah well, still might end up that way I suppose
Old 12-14-2007, 05:48 PM   #540
miami_fan
Coordinator

Haren traded to the D-Backs

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Hea...=MLB&hl=227673

Quote:
The Diamondbacks have reportedly picked up Dan Haren from the A's for OF Carlos Gonzalez, LHP Brett Anderson, OF Aaron Cunningham, 1B Chris Carter, LHP Greg Smith and LHP Dana Eveland.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 05:49 PM   #541
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Arizona emptied the farm for him - and then traded Valverde to HOuston (who doesn't have any prospects left - at all).
Old 12-14-2007, 05:51 PM   #542
miami_fan
Coordinator

Does this re-open the bidding on Johan Santana?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 12-14-2007, 06:36 PM   #543
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Arizona emptied the farm for him - and then traded Valverde to HOuston (who doesn't have any prospects left - at all).

Any of those guys considered elite?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 06:39 PM   #544
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Any of those guys considered elite?

Tough call - they're all pretty good prospects, but I think AZ kept all their young major league talent (Chris Young, Justin Upton) and the prospect they did consider elite (Max Schwertzer). BA had Anderson and Gonzales as #2 and #1 respectively for Arizona, but there really was no place for Gonzales in Oakland anytime soon. I'd say the best player in this deal (and the player who has the potential to be the best) went to Arizona, but Oakland got 2 B+, 3 B's, and a a C+ prospect - that's a pretty good haul.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:44 PM   #545
Logan
Head Coach

Yeah just did some looking and saw that they got (according to BA) the D-Backs' #1, 3, 7, and 8 prospects. For a farm system that's considered one of the best, that's definitely a nice package for Oakland.

Agree that either way, Arizona wins when they can slot Haren behind Webb.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 07:34 PM   #546
Atocep
Coordinator

Great move for Arizona and a good move for Oakland. Arizona is looking to win now and has a good number of young players that would be blocking their top level minor leaguers for the next couple years so flipping them for a #1 starter makes a hell of a lot of sense. The fact that they swept in and grabbed him while everyone else is still standing in line for Santana is brilliant.

Oakland isn't going to win next year or the year after, they're looking at '10 at the earliest and restocking their system was a must. Gonzales steps in as Oakland's #2 prospect now behind Barton (some may argue #1) and Anderson is probably #3 now. Chris Carter is a sleeper as he could become a legit Adam Dunn type in the majors or he could just as easily be a massive bust.

Intersting to see what Beane has turned Mark Mulder into. He's become Barton, Calero, and these 6 guys. Not too bad. Unfortunately for the A's, the Hudson deal didn't work out as well since Dan Meyer forgot how to pitch.

Btw, is Ed Wade the only person in baseball that seems to think the Astros are going to compete next year and do they now have the worst farm system in recent memory?
Old 12-14-2007, 08:47 PM   #547
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I would think Bedard's price went up now. I hope the Reds don't make a similar trade. They have the potential to be very good over the next five years and I'm not sure Bedard i worth giving up three or four top ten prospects.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:50 PM   #548
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Jim Edmonds to the Padres for a prospect and cash according to ESPNEWS.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 09:58 PM   #549
Arles
Grey Dog Software

The Haren deal looks like a decent one for both sides. AZ keeps 2 of their their top 3 pitching prospects (Jarrod Parker, Anderson and Max Scherzer were all similar) and gets a solid No. 1 in the AL who makes peanuts for the next 3 seasons. With Byrnes, Upton and Chris Young, Gonzalez was doubtful to ever play for the big team anytime soon. Plus, if one of those three does flame out, Gerardo Parra is still in the minors as well. Anderson is a nice SP prospect, but is still in A-ball and well worth moving for Haren. The others were long shots or a guy who's struggled multiple times in the majors (Eveland). In the end, Arizona parted only with 2 of their top 6 prospects (Gonzalez and Anderson) and no one in their plans for the next 2-3 years. Plus, they land a nice pitching prospect from Houston (Juan Gutierrez in the Valverde deal) to offset the loss of Anderson a bit.

Oakland got two very nice prospects and some others with a bunch of upside (even if they are real young). If two of these 6 make out like they should, it's a good deal. If 3-4 do, Oakland will come out smelling like roses.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:57 PM   #550
miami_fan
Coordinator

Willis, Tigers agree to 3-year, $29M deal

Looks like the Tigers really do believe in Dontrelle. I don't know if you got a good or great pitcher Tiger fans, but you defintely got a great guy. Don't corrupt him!

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7588544

Quote:
Dontrelle Willis looked at the Detroit Tigers' snow-covered field and his familiar smile grew even wider.
The former Florida Marlins pitcher and California native wasn't about to let the white stuff or frigid temperatures spoil his big day.

Willis agreed to a $29 million, three-year deal with the Tigers on Thursday, just two weeks after he was acquired in the biggest trade of the offseason. He can make an additional $1.5 million in award bonuses.

"I'm so amped up about being here and knowing I'm going to stay here," he said between talking to friends and doing radio interviews on his cell phone. "It's mind-blowing to know I'm going to play for years to come for a team that had guys like Ty Cobb and Al Kaline."

The current Tigers are pretty good, too.

Willis and All-Star third baseman Miguel Cabrera were obtained from Florida for six prospects, including outfielder Cameron Maybin and left-handed pitcher Andrew Miller, in one of the offseason moves that made a good team potentially great.

Baseball's busiest team exercised their option on catcher Ivan Rodriguez's contract shortly after the season, then traded for shortstop Edgar Renteria and outfielder Jacque Jones and re-signed closer Todd Jones and starting pitcher Kenny Rogers.

But none of those deals had the instant impact on the field or with the fan base that the Cabrera-Willis one did, which led to the team selling 3,000 season-ticket packages to new customers.

"The Tigers were already good without me, but hopefully I can play a small part in putting the club over the hump to win another championship," Willis said.

The Tigers, whose last title was in 1984, reached the World Series in 2006 and stayed in contention for a spot in the playoffs until the end of this past regular season.

With the moves they've made, contending for a championship is expected.

"There's good pressure and bad pressure and we have the right kind because we have a good club," Tigers president Dave Dombrowski said. "Now, we have to live up to expectations."

Willis is looking forward to paying the Tigers back for their faith in him, proving last year was an aberration.

The 2003 NL Rookie of the Year and 2005 runner-up for the NL's Cy Young was 10-15 with a 5.17 ERA, starting a league-high 35 games.

"I pitched through some injuries, but they checked me out and everything will be OK," said Willis, who was hampered by forearm tightness last season. "I was healthy the last couple of weeks and I think that's what the Tigers saw that made them interested."

The two-time All-Star is 68-54 with a 3.78 in 162 starts over five seasons, including 2005, when he won a career-high 22 games. He turns 26 next month.

Willis joins an established rotation that includes Justin Verlander, Kenny Rogers, Jeremy Bonderman and Nate Robertson.

"Whoever pitches each night is our No. 1," manager Jim Leyland said in a telephone interview with the Associated Press. "We have to execute, but the rotation looks good and is good."

Willis toured Comerica Park before an evening news conference and checked out the field from the dugout, but he didn't step on the snow.

"I've seen black ice before, but not the fresh stuff like this," the Oakland native said. "I can't wait to pitch for this team, even if the first time is on a day like this."