Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-04-2007, 07:21 AM   #501
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Article now confirms the UK price of the 40 GB PS3 will be 299 pounds. Article notes that there will still be software-emulated backward compatibility, much like the 80 GB machine. Also, 60 GB PS3 will be reduced in price.

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/ne...official.phtml

Quote:
4 October 2007 10:16 GMT -
Sony will announce tomorrow that has bowed to consumer pressure by not only reducing the price of its 60GB console, but also creating a 40GB version priced at £299 to go up against the Xbox 360 Elite.

Confirmed by multiple sources in the games industry in the UK, Pocket-lint has learnt that Sony Europe will officially drop the price of the games console in the UK by £56 to £369 in an attempt to boost sales ahead of the Christmas rush.

"We are currently under strict NDA, however that NDA runs out in the next 48 hours", a retail source told Pocket-lint.

As part of the deal the newly introduced value pack, which included an extra controller and games, will be phased out, Pocket-lint has been informed by multiple sources within the industry.

"Although we aren't sure when in October it's happening we are aware that the price will drop to £369, with shops probably selling for £349, and a 40GB model launching as well to compete against the Xbox 360", a major games publisher told Pocket-lint.

In attempt to offer an even more compelling alternative to the newly launched Xbox Elite, Sony has also said it will be launching a 40GB "Core" version.

As previously rumoured, the new PS3 console will still feature the Blu-ray drive as standard, come with 40GB hard drive, Wi-Fi connectivity and a SIXAXIS controller, but it will lose two of its four USB slots and the memory card reader.

It will also lose the backwards compatibility chip, although this isn't likely to affect UK customers, as in Europe backwards compatibility is done via software.

The rumours of the new unit, which were broken by Pocket-lint last month, means that if you include the cost of buying the Wi-Fi adapter and HD DVD drive to the Xbox Elite, the move means the new PS3 will be £160 cheaper, although you will get a bigger hard drive with the Xbox.

The price will also make it one of the cheapest Blu-ray players available in the UK.

"Sony is clearly hoping to make a comeback against the Nintendo Wii, which is currently outselling the PS3 four to one", an industry insider told us.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 10-04-2007 at 07:33 AM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:29 AM   #502
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Halo 3 takes the #1 spot in Japan in its opening week........

Quote:
01./--. [360] Halo 3 - 59,000 / NEW
02./03. [DS] Pokemon Fushigi no Dungeon: Toki - 55,000 / 440,000
03./01. [PSP] Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII - 54,000 / 649,000
04./--. [DS] Tamagotchi Petit Petit Omisecchi Minasankyu! - 54,000 / NEW
05./04. [DS] Pokemon Fushigi no Dungeon: Yami - 46,000 / 389,000
06./--. [PS2] Bleach Blade Battlers 2nd - 31,000 / NEW
07./--. [DS] English Test 2 - 28,000 / NEW
08./--. [PSP] Yugioh Duel Monsters GX - 28,000 / NEW
09./--. [PS3] Oblivion - 27,000 / NEW
10./02. [PSP] Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops+ - 25,000 / 119,000
Old 10-04-2007, 08:00 AM   #503
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I, for one, am shocked that Halo 3 beat out Tamagotchi Petit Petit Omisecchi Minasankyu!
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:25 AM   #504
Bee
Pro Starter

That's got to be close to 100% attachment rate for Halo 3 in Japan.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:32 AM   #505
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I think MS has sold about a half million 360s in Japan but yeah the Halo 3 sales are impressive.

That article about the PS3, what is the card reader? For PS2 memory cards or is it something different?
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:44 AM   #506
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
I think MS has sold about a half million 360s in Japan but yeah the Halo 3 sales are impressive.

That article about the PS3, what is the card reader? For PS2 memory cards or is it something different?

The 60 and 80 GB consoles have card readers for things like CF and SD memory cards that are often used in digital cameras, MP3 players and video recorders. I'm guessing not that many people transferred stuff using those slots, so they decided to save a few dollars and cut those from the system. Most of those devices have USB cables anyway, so you still can likely transfer images and media to the PS3 if you really wanted to do so.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:25 AM   #507
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I'll give you another take on the 720P vs 640P issue: one cheap way of handling AA is rendering at a higher resolution, then downsampling to a lower screen resolution. Sure, you get a blurrier scene, but do they get to check the 1080i box now, even though they are presenting at 720P? Where is the 1440 box? How much resolution is 4xAA multisampling worth? What box should you check then?
Old 10-04-2007, 10:01 AM   #508
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
I'll give you another take on the 720P vs 640P issue: one cheap way of handling AA is rendering at a higher resolution, then downsampling to a lower screen resolution. Sure, you get a blurrier scene, but do they get to check the 1080i box now, even though they are presenting at 720P? Where is the 1440 box? How much resolution is 4xAA multisampling worth? What box should you check then?

There's a ton of discussion about the Halo 3 situation over at the Beyond 3D forums with topics about the various scenarios, much like the one you present. Pretty good discussion as they have several console developers posting in the thread.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:52 AM   #509
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Microsoft press release reporting they met their $300M Halo 3 sales goal over the first week.....

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...rstWeekPR.mspx

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 10-04-2007 at 10:52 AM.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:41 AM   #510
Icy
Pro Starter

Almost confirmed new prices in Spain from Oct 10th from leaked superstore catalog and some magazines, Sony is suppossed to confirm it tomorrow.

Starter pack (Ps3 60gb + 2 games + 2 controlers) = 499€ that is a 100€ ($135) reduction.

The new PS3 40gb = 399€

For comparision, the 360 Elite price here is 449€ so the price difference would start to become a non factor.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 11:44 AM   #511
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Reports on n4g.com and 1up.com that there are Halo 3 Special Edition consoles that are getting the RROD only 1 week after release. The unit shown has the 65nm chip and extra heat sink.

Post on n4g.com:

http://n4g.com/xbox360/News-71365.aspx

Picture of RROD on Halo 3 console:

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/8135/dsc03163pc6.jpg

But atleast we have the 3 year warranty, right?

Ignoring the fact that you may have you send in your console 3 or 4 times for a month and that it could be a paperweight after the warranty is up. It's nice that MS finally owned up to their issue, but it wasn't like they were doing anyone a favor - if they hadn't created an unstable system in the first place there would of been no need. The 360 gets alot of praise for it's online and the fact that it's similiar in specs to the PS3 but clearly no matter any of that it's still built on a faulty design.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 11:45 AM   #512
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Man, for those eyeing MLB Power Pros for the Wii and PS2, it's getting great feedback from every place I've looked thus far. Only complaint is that the rosters are a bit dated, but they can be edited to bring them up to date.

Here's the OS forums impressions thread:

http://forums.operationsports.com/vB...d.php?t=223290
Old 10-04-2007, 12:19 PM   #513
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Man, for those eyeing MLB Power Pros for the Wii and PS2, it's getting great feedback from every place I've looked thus far. Only complaint is that the rosters are a bit dated, but they can be edited to bring them up to date.

Here's the OS forums impressions thread:

http://forums.operationsports.com/vB...d.php?t=223290

Some are saying the fielding stinks.. but overall, good impressions. I still can't believe a kiddy looking game like this is getting rave reviews over the next gen stuff. lol
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 12:39 PM   #514
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Some are saying the fielding stinks.. but overall, good impressions. I still can't believe a kiddy looking game like this is getting rave reviews over the next gen stuff. lol

Never played it, but I'm assuming it's the techmo of baseball games?
Old 10-04-2007, 12:54 PM   #515
Galaxy
Coordinator

Has the PS3 been able to run at 60 frames? I know some of sports games have been running at 60 on the 360, but they run at 30 on the PS3.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 01:01 PM   #516
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Has the PS3 been able to run at 60 frames? I know some of sports games have been running at 60 on the 360, but they run at 30 on the PS3.

In this year's sports games, the answer is mostly no. Lack of development time was cited as the issue. Honestly, not many of the sports games have been world-beaters on either console. There's a whole lot of $60 updates this year for the most part.

They will all run at 60 FPS next year on the PS3.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:03 PM   #517
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I still can't believe a kiddy looking game like this is getting rave reviews over the next gen stuff. lol

That just shows how bad the next gen stuff is. There's not a lot that stands out at all on the 360 or PS3 in regards to sports games.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:05 PM   #518
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:

Not EA games, but other developers games do:

MLB the show 07 runs at 60fps
NBA2k8 runs at 60 fps

Old 10-04-2007, 01:07 PM   #519
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
That just shows how bad the next gen stuff is. There's not a lot that stands out at all on the 360 or PS3 in regards to sports games.

What about the NBA 2k/College Hoops franchise? NHL 2008 has that series on the right track.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 01:14 PM   #520
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What about the NBA 2k/College Hoops franchise? NHL 2008 has that series on the right track.

Don't listen to the Sony viral marketer. College Hoops and NBA 2k7 are great games. NBA 2k8 looks like a significant improvement to an already great game. Lots of games have performed substandard on the PS3 including the EA football games as well as some of the 2k games, so he wants to downplay the sports games, even the ones that are good.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 01:26 PM   #521
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I disagree.

There are PLENTY of great games for the 360 as far as I'm concerned.

Right now, I'm playing: Bioshock, MLB 2k7, NHL 2k8, NHL 08, and APF 2k7. I wish I had more time to play.

One guy said this game was better than "The Show".. I mean, that sounds crazy.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 01:30 PM   #522
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post

Far from it.

It plays a very solid, realistic game of baseball. Tons of stats, 10 year franchise mode, this game is a baseball sim but with cartoon-like graphics. The animation is even top-notch, it's just the player models that look unrealistic.

I fully recommend that everyone try this game out, but leave your inner graphics whore at the door.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 01:41 PM   #523
twothree
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post

I don't know about that, but it has had a Madden like number of editions in Japan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jikky%C...y%C5%AB_series

I picked up a copy of MLB Power Pros at lunch today, but haven't had a chance to play yet.
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 02:06 PM   #524
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Far from it.

It plays a very solid, realistic game of baseball. Tons of stats, 10 year franchise mode, this game is a baseball sim but with cartoon-like graphics. The animation is even top-notch, it's just the player models that look unrealistic.

I fully recommend that everyone try this game out, but leave your inner graphics whore at the door.

I don't have a Wii and my PS2 has long since died, but I have to ask. Why, why, why, do they have to make the players cartoons?! I'm not looking for photo-realistic 3-D representations of every guy's mole, but, they can at least TRY to make it look like you're playing baseball right?

It's probably a fun to play game, but little goofy heads running around the field is a gamekiller for me.
how do you know?

Old 10-04-2007, 02:12 PM   #525
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
I don't have a Wii and my PS2 has long since died, but I have to ask. Why, why, why, do they have to make the players cartoons?!

I have the opposite reaction. I would rather them not even try (to make realistic graphics) than to try and fail.

I'd rather a cartoon that looks like a cartoon than a realistic depiction that just makes me wish that it were done better.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 02:14 PM   #526
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I have the opposite reaction. I would rather them not even try (to make realistic graphics) than to try and fail.

I'd rather a cartoon that looks like a cartoon than a realistic depiction that just makes me wish that it were done better.

Same here. If I get a Wii for Christmas, this sounds like it will be the first game I will pick up for myself.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 10-04-2007 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:17 PM   #527
spleen1015
Coordinator

I have always preferred the games from the 8-bit and 16-bit eras. I prefer the more cartoonish graphics over them trying to be photo realistic.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 02:19 PM   #528
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Hardball was one of my favorites, so the players don't have to be photo-realistic...maybe I have some strange fear of large-headed baseball players?
how do you know?

Old 10-04-2007, 02:20 PM   #529
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Hardball was one of my favorites, so the players don't have to be photo-realistic...maybe I have some strange fear of large-headed baseball players?

I think you shoudl rent it and see if you like it.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 02:21 PM   #530
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

Yeah, pretty much my thoughts as well.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 02:40 PM   #531
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Cartoony all the way for me, I love that look.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 03:06 PM   #532
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I saw a kid a few minutes ago who has a fear of baseball mascots and actually ran out of the ballpark because of one.. perhaps, you should seek help

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 10-04-2007 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:08 PM   #533
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Either that or me and the kid should hang out more
how do you know?

Old 10-04-2007, 07:42 PM   #534
twothree
College Prospect

OK. MLB Power Pros is a fun game on the PS2. Here are my random observations. I was in practice mode, getting use to the defense an accidently hit the L2 button instead of L1 (which shifts the infield and outfield) and my pitcher grabs the rosin bag. Heh, and I bet it probably affects his pitches in this game. The pitching and hitting mechanics are well implemented and the pitching and hitting cursors and aids are quite customizable. I need to work on my fielding a little because I keep hitting the fake throw button (L1) instead of the throw to the cut-off man (R1), but I will train myself to get it right.

I love the RPG success mode. A really fun way to create a player. It's like having two different games on one disk. I haven't finished with my first player yet, but it looks quite replayable. Currently I have a starting pitcher named Jonathan Papelbon, a random(?) name received by leaving the name entry blank, who is trying to survive his three years of college ball. Back to the game.
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:04 AM   #535
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Don't listen to the Sony viral marketer. College Hoops and NBA 2k7 are great games. NBA 2k8 looks like a significant improvement to an already great game. Lots of games have performed substandard on the PS3 including the EA football games as well as some of the 2k games, so he wants to downplay the sports games, even the ones that are good.

College Hoops is a pretty weak game. NBA 2K7 is a very good game. I'm not sure that 2K8 is the major improvement you make it out to be.

The rest of your comments are just flames with no basis in fact and don't deserve a response. You're better than that.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 10-05-2007 at 08:12 AM.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:11 AM   #536
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I disagree.

There are PLENTY of great games for the 360 as far as I'm concerned.

Right now, I'm playing: Bioshock, MLB 2k7, NHL 2k8, NHL 08, and APF 2k7. I wish I had more time to play.

One guy said this game was better than "The Show".. I mean, that sounds crazy.

Obviously, the comment referred specificially to sports games, so Bioshock isn't in the discussion. MLB 2K7 is an average game at best. APF 2K7 is a good idea, but the feature options on it leave a lot to be desired. It should have been much better. The NHL games appear to be the best of the sport groups. The 2K8 game plays a better game of hockey, the EA version is a bit prettier. All in preference there. But none of those games have a great level of quality that surpasses the 'yearly update' status.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:21 AM   #537
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I'll go ahead and disagree on the NHL 08 quality being merely a 'yearly update'. The AI is fantastic, the skill stick works to perfection, and the skating is glorious. I had no real use for NHL 07, but 08 is the best hockey game I've played since the mid-90's.

And I'm not the only one that thinks so. I have a small group of friends, maybe about 8 of us in total. Within a week of playing the NHL 08 demo on one buddy's 360 no less than 3 of us bought 360's just to play this game. There are now 6 of us that have 360's, and every single one of us has NHL 08.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 10-05-2007, 08:25 AM   #538
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
College Hoops is a pretty weak game. NBA 2K7 is a very good game. I'm not sure that 2K8 is the major improvement you make it out to be.

The rest of your comments are just flames with no basis in fact and don't deserve a response. You're better than that.

There are a LOT of people on here and elsewhere who will disagree with you on college hoops. Many people consider it the best console sports game of last year. As far as my other comments, I think you've earned them.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:28 AM   #539
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I'll go ahead and disagree on the NHL 08 quality being merely a 'yearly update'. The AI is fantastic, the skill stick works to perfection, and the skating is glorious. I had no real use for NHL 07, but 08 is the best hockey game I've played since the mid-90's.

And I'm not the only one that thinks so. I have a small group of friends, maybe about 8 of us in total. Within a week of playing the NHL 08 demo on one buddy's 360 no less than 3 of us bought 360's just to play this game. There are now 6 of us that have 360's, and every single one of us has NHL 08.

My opinion is that NHL 2K8 is the better game of the 2 NHL games. Just plays a better game of hockey.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:33 AM   #540
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Same here. If I get a Wii for Christmas, this sounds like it will be the first game I will pick up for myself.

Since I already bought my family's Wii for Christmas, I'll have to add this one to the list...
Old 10-05-2007, 08:42 AM   #541
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
There are a LOT of people on here and elsewhere who will disagree with you on college hoops. Many people consider it the best console sports game of last year. As far as my other comments, I think you've earned them.

I post all kinds of articles, both positive and negative, on all consoles. There's not many posters in this thread that can state that. I posted positive articles on Halo 3 and Microsoft and attacked the PS execs for everything from pricing to forcing unfinished games and no one uttered a peep of disapproval. But when I post negative press about MS or a positive article about the PS3, here come the bias claims. I guess it's easier to take that tactic rather than address the actual discussion on a topic-by-topic basis.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:48 AM   #542
gstelmack
Pro Starter

The problem is your attack articles on Sony are generally mild, short, and followed up with some sort of "here's why it won't matter much" comment, while anything positive you say about MS or the Xbox has some sort of "but" attached. You are also famous for turning Sony negatives into positives, and Microsoft wins into doom. That's been pretty clear to everyone but yourself.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:51 AM   #543
Bee
Pro Starter

I agree with the doc about college hoops. It was a fantastic game and one of the best sports console games I've ever played. Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:52 AM   #544
Icy
Pro Starter

I'm a PS3 owner and i dissagree with you Mizzou, imho both NBA2k7 and College Hoops 2k7 are the best PS3 games in 2007, specially the second along with MLB the show.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:52 AM   #545
Kodos
Resident Alien

Halo 3 is going to be devastating for the 360. It's not even Hi Def!
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:01 AM   #546
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
The problem is your attack articles on Sony are generally mild, short, and followed up with some sort of "here's why it won't matter much" comment, while anything positive you say about MS or the Xbox has some sort of "but" attached. You are also famous for turning Sony negatives into positives, and Microsoft wins into doom. That's been pretty clear to everyone but yourself.

I'm not going to get into a finger-pointing war with you. I want to discuss the consoles, not perceived poster bias. If you want to start another thread discussing the bias that everyone else has that you don't have, feel free to do so.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:03 AM   #547
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Halo 3 is going to be devastating for the 360. It's not even Hi Def!

You'll have to ask Pumpy Tutors about that as soon as Microsoft returns his 'new' 360 in 6-8 weeks.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:03 AM   #548
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
New weekly sales number in from Japan. PSP continues to sell very well. 360 got a boost of about 4,000 units sold from the Halo release (sold 61,000 games). PS3 needs a boost, likely to come from a price cut though none has been leaked in Japan thus far. Wii continues to sell very low numbers compared to it's 75-80K average during the spring and summer months.

PSP 128000
DSL 72000
Wii 25000
PS2 13000
PS3 13000
360 5800

Here's the weekly numbers from the US for that period.

Wii 98,173
DS 143,137
PS3 29,618
PSP 88,586
Xbox 360 122,834

Last edited by Bee : 10-05-2007 at 09:04 AM.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:05 AM   #549
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
My opinion is that NHL 2K8 is the better game of the 2 NHL games. Just plays a better game of hockey.

Well that's nice, but has nothing to do with my post. My point was that NHL 08 represents a massive upgrade in terms of overall enjoyment factor over NHL 07, and therefore is more than a 'yearly update' in the eyes of many people.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:11 AM   #550
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
Here's the weekly numbers from the US for that period.

DS 143,137
Xbox 360 122,834
Wii 98,173
PSP 88,586
Mike Vick doggie jerseys 31,216
PS3 29,618

PS3 should have plenty of consoles available for the holiday season. PS3 FTW!!!1!~