Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-10-2007, 09:00 PM   #501
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

There is some ugly basketball going on right now, the Bulls just seem to want it more in the first half. You know Detroit's going to make a run though, hopefully the Bulls can withstand it.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 10:12 PM   #502
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouts View Post
I agree with this. Hardly looks intentional to me. More like somebody is trying hard to make it into something.

I don't know. There is no logical explanation for kicking a guy's achilles while he goes up for a dunk. I mean he even pulls the rest of his body back to make it less visible:

Last edited by Arles : 05-10-2007 at 10:13 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 08:01 AM   #503
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

wow that foot to the leg does look intentional, it doesnt look like a natural extension of the leg, but more like a kick. you can tell because he puts all his weight and balance on his left foot when kicking his right at the guys leg.

right now im leaning 75% intentional
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 08:02 AM   #504
miami_fan
Coordinator

Detroit's run in the second half yesterday was very impressive.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 08:03 AM   #505
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Bruce Bowen did it on purpose cause he's a piece of shit, and would probably be in jail if he wasn't playing basketball. IE that whole vince carter thing, where if Vince wasn't such a pussy he should have beat his ass.

Stern needs to sit his ass down for shit like that.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 08:09 AM   #506
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

the more i look at it, the more sure that it was 100% intentional. its the only explanation for it
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 02:40 PM   #507
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Amare thinks it was deliberate:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playof...ory?id=2866789

"He kicked me purposely in the back of my Achilles. I almost came down wrong and he almost caused an injury," Stoudemire said after Thursday's practice. "He's known for doing that. I just hope the NBA and the commissioner take a look at that because it's definitely a dirty play."

I think Bowen was certainly trying to kick Amare, the video shows him doing a "leg sweep" in slo mo at his achilles.

Ya he does now after seeing the tape. I guess I could see his point of view, but at the game he didn't really react at all. I'm a hugh Suns fan, but I don't think it was intentional. Slow-mo really makes it look bad, but in real time think about what the thought process would have been to try and do that and be successful at it too.
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 02:43 PM   #508
SnDvls
Pro Starter

dola - this doesn't mean I don't think Bowen isn't a dirty player either
Old 05-11-2007, 03:51 PM   #509
heybrad
Norm!!!

He's earned the nickname Bruce Lee Bowen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAakQjpFibg
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 07:55 PM   #510
kingfc22
Head Coach

I was able to score some tix for the game tonight. The arena definitley has a buzz, which can be witnessed by the multiple Utah Sucks chants and Let's Go Warriors chants during warmups.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:58 PM   #511
kingfc22
Head Coach

dolasome hotties to the right of the espn crew courtside
Old 05-11-2007, 08:22 PM   #512
Logan
Head Coach

Get off your god damn Treo and go drink some beers.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 08:25 PM   #513
miami_fan
Coordinator

Looks like Ellis is going to play this game. Bad third foul by Jackson there.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 05-11-2007, 11:16 PM   #514
pennywisesb
College Benchwarmer

Wow, what a game by the Warriors! I haven't seen shooting like that in a long time. Hopefully we can keep up the intensity in game 4 and tie this thing up.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:52 PM   #515
kingfc22
Head Coach

That dunk by Baron was INSANE!!! It almost brought the house down.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:48 AM   #516
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Baron Davis is playing some Jordan-like basketball this postseason. He's carrying that team like it doesn't weigh a thing.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 03:09 PM   #517
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnDvls View Post
Ya he does now after seeing the tape. I guess I could see his point of view, but at the game he didn't really react at all. I'm a hugh Suns fan, but I don't think it was intentional. Slow-mo really makes it look bad, but in real time think about what the thought process would have been to try and do that and be successful at it too.

It would seem that how one looks at this comes down to who you'd rather see advance. If you're a Suns fan, you're screaming bloody murder and bringing out the 'Bowen is a dirty player' tape from the files. You're pulling out the video showing Isaiah going nuts at MSG last year over a Bowen undercut.

If you're a Spurs fan, you're wondering why, if it was such a serious event, Stoudemire and the Suns did absolutely nothing right after it happened. There was no Isaiah Thomas kind of reaction. It would seem being kicked in the Achilles would really hurt and if there's no immediate reaction from the player being kicked, then claiming it's a big deal seems to be much ado about nothing.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 03:59 PM   #519
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab View Post
It would seem that how one looks at this comes down to who you'd rather see advance. If you're a Suns fan, you're screaming bloody murder and bringing out the 'Bowen is a dirty player' tape from the files. You're pulling out the video showing Isaiah going nuts at MSG last year over a Bowen undercut.

If you're a Spurs fan, you're wondering why, if it was such a serious event, Stoudemire and the Suns did absolutely nothing right after it happened. There was no Isaiah Thomas kind of reaction. It would seem being kicked in the Achilles would really hurt and if there's no immediate reaction from the player being kicked, then claiming it's a big deal seems to be much ado about nothing.

But I am I Suns fan and don't think it was intentional so I guess that theory is gone.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:12 PM   #520
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Ginobli's eye injury there looks really nasty in HD. I wouldn't be surprised if that swells shut if they don't cut it.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 10:54 PM   #521
hoopsguy
General Manager

Might quiet in this thread when Golden State is losing ...

No, I'm not a Jazz fan (although rooting for them out West) but figured I would see if I can get some NBA talk going again.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 12:07 AM   #522
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
Might quiet in this thread when Golden State is losing ...

No, I'm not a Jazz fan (although rooting for them out West) but figured I would see if I can get some NBA talk going again.

Well, it's kind of hard for me to post when I'm not anywhere near a computer. I think it being Mother's Day also had some effect.

Anyway....Golden State just flat out lost, and Utah played extremely gutsy in the fourth quarter. No excuses....the refs....dirty play...the Jazz just played a much better game.

Stephen Jackson is great to watch when he's doing good things, but the whole world can tell when he gets in that "I'm not passing it to anyone" mode. And he usually ends up trying to penetrate through two guys...and usually ends up turning it over. Just frustrating to watch. I still like him as a player, but I just wish Don Nelson would step in and say "Don't penetrate again unless you plan on doing something positive".

It seems like Carlos Boozer never misses a shot..this is why he's an all-star...Derek Fisher made a lot of big shots as well. Just a couple absolute daggers in the 4th quarter. The Warriors had some open looks that they've been making this past month and half not quite go down. Maybe it was another case of running out of gas, and not having the legs to finish it off.

A lot of people are probably going to say the series is over.....I understand that viewpoint, with the Warriors having to into a tough Energy Solutions Arena. However, it is a series, but you still take it one game at a time. It wouldn't shock me to see the Warriors win three straight and shock the world once more, but it also wouldn't shock me if the Warriors play three tough quarters, only to fade in a sea of powder blue, setting the sun on a wonderful season.

Good game, Jazz.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:06 AM   #523
Vince
Pro Starter

I was at the game, and it was an incredible experience. That arena rocks like no other, and it takes NOTHING to get the crowd going. Karlifornia has it right, the Jazz simply outplayed us. Jason Richardson was a non-factor in the game, and our free throw shooting (as usual) completely sucked. I'm very disappointed in the elbow that Baron Davis threw...completely unnecessary and quite dirty in my opinion. And I'm a big BD fan.

I think the team just ran out of steam at the end. Derek Fisher hit three big three pointers in the fourth, but he was also wide-freaking-open on all of them. There were some dumb mental mistakes and turnovers as well at the end, and it seemed like the refs were out to get us for some reason. That's in no way an excuse; even with the calls that I thought were missed, we lose that game. It just didn't help, and took the energy out of the Warriors.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.

Last edited by Vince : 05-14-2007 at 09:08 AM.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 01:31 PM   #524
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Well, it's kind of hard for me to post when I'm not anywhere near a computer. I think it being Mother's Day also had some effect.

Anyway....Golden State just flat out lost, and Utah played extremely gutsy in the fourth quarter. No excuses....the refs....dirty play...the Jazz just played a much better game.

Stephen Jackson is great to watch when he's doing good things, but the whole world can tell when he gets in that "I'm not passing it to anyone" mode. And he usually ends up trying to penetrate through two guys...and usually ends up turning it over. Just frustrating to watch. I still like him as a player, but I just wish Don Nelson would step in and say "Don't penetrate again unless you plan on doing something positive".

It seems like Carlos Boozer never misses a shot..this is why he's an all-star...Derek Fisher made a lot of big shots as well. Just a couple absolute daggers in the 4th quarter. The Warriors had some open looks that they've been making this past month and half not quite go down. Maybe it was another case of running out of gas, and not having the legs to finish it off.

A lot of people are probably going to say the series is over.....I understand that viewpoint, with the Warriors having to into a tough Energy Solutions Arena. However, it is a series, but you still take it one game at a time. It wouldn't shock me to see the Warriors win three straight and shock the world once more, but it also wouldn't shock me if the Warriors play three tough quarters, only to fade in a sea of powder blue, setting the sun on a wonderful season.

Good game, Jazz.

Boozer just does not take many bad shots. He may miss shots, but I don't remember seeing him take a shot that is outside of his range.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:35 PM   #525
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince View Post
I was at the game, and it was an incredible experience. That arena rocks like no other

I must say that Oracle was rocking a whole lot louder and more consistent in Game 3 than Game 4 (I was at both). Yea, the Warriors came out on fire in the 2nd quarter in game 3, but even in the first quarter which played out very similar in both games the crowd seemed much louder to me on Friday than they were yesterday.

The W's clearly ran out of gas late in the game and not having an answer at all to Boozer hurt as well. Hopefully they can get this back to Oakland for Game 6, but it's definately going to be a challenge.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:00 PM   #526
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

That Jazz v. Warriors series has been entertaining though if nothing else.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 08:14 PM   #527
Groundhog
Coordinator

The best thing about the Warriors and Suns success is that it might show teams that it's OK to break away from the defensively orientated slow-down half-court teams that have dominated the past decade.

I think perhaps teams and talent scouts have gotten a little carried away with height in retrospect, and that players who can shoot have been undervalued as a result of it.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:47 PM   #528
miami_fan
Coordinator

Go to the basket LeBron! Stop settling for that jumper!
Old 05-14-2007, 08:50 PM   #529
Groundhog
Coordinator

R E B O U N D
Old 05-14-2007, 08:50 PM   #530
amdaily
College Prospect

Classic late game, crunch time Lebron. Two chances to all but put the game away in the final 1:05 and his misses two jumpers.

Please Mike Brown get the ball in someone else's hands!

Last edited by amdaily : 05-14-2007 at 08:50 PM.
amdaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 09:00 PM   #531
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Yeah take it out of the hands of the guy who carried your team to this point, and is the leading scorer of the night with the highest shooting % on the team (except Varejao at 2-2). The negativity that LeBron gets completely baffles me.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 09:01 PM   #532
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdaily View Post
Classic late game, crunch time Lebron. Two chances to all but put the game away in the final 1:05 and his misses two jumpers.

Please Mike Brown get the ball in someone else's hands!

I think Nets fans are saying the same thing about Vince Carter right now.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:01 PM   #533
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Glad the Nets lost. Lest Brooklyn's team get further along. I wish they'd lose so they can decide whether they're going to get Kidd a title or ship him out for parts.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:27 PM   #534
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

WTF?!?!? Punk Ass Rob

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 11:42 PM   #535
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

that horry bush league move will overshadow the awful officiating handing that game to phoenix. nobody is going to sympathize with us now.
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 11:55 PM   #536
bhlloy
Coordinator

Lost a lot of respect for Horry tonight. Not just the pussy foul, but the punch/forearm to Bell afterwards as well. Just accept you made a bad mistake and leave the floor. Complete BS if Stoudemire and Diaw get suspended.

I didn't see too much awful officiating in Phoenix's favor to be honest. Would be interesting to hear specific incidents you are thinking about.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 12:00 AM   #537
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Stoudamire and Diaw knew the rules. They should have been happy that Horry did that and sat their asses down on the bench with a big smile on their faces. They were about to have game 5 at home against a Spurs team that would be a man down. Very stupid to leave the bench.

Note: I should add that I don't like zero tolerance policies like this one, but if it's there, then you're stupid for not following it, especially during the playoffs.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:06 AM   #538
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Stoudamire and Diaw knew the rules. They should have been happy that Horry did that and sat their asses down on the bench with a big smile on their faces. They were about to have game 5 at home against a Spurs team that would be a man down. Very stupid to leave the bench.

Note: I should add that I don't like zero tolerance policies like this one, but if it's there, then you're stupid for not following it, especially during the playoffs.

The problem is that in a situation like this, you can't stop yourself from leaving the bench, because the tension is so high. It's easy to criticize the players for leaving the bench, but we aren't sitting on the bench watching Horry act like an ass to one of our teammates.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:06 AM   #539
Groundhog
Coordinator

Is it just me, or does Nash look like a hobo dwarf in this photo?
Old 05-15-2007, 12:10 AM   #540
RGunner
High School JV

does nash really think he can take horry? horry barely touched him (shouldnt have done it but he didnt just level him) and he flew 5 feet
RGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 12:20 AM   #541
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
The problem is that in a situation like this, you can't stop yourself from leaving the bench, because the tension is so high. It's easy to criticize the players for leaving the bench, but we aren't sitting on the bench watching Horry act like an ass to one of our teammates.

Agreed 100%. You just saw the 8th or 9th guy on the Spurs bench trying to take your best player out of the game. No matter what the league does to Horry, it really doesn't matter to the Spurs.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 12:26 AM   #542
RGunner
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Agreed 100%. You just saw the 8th or 9th guy on the Spurs bench trying to take your best player out of the game. No matter what the league does to Horry, it really doesn't matter to the Spurs.

Horry may not be the most important person on the spurs but he is VERY helpful to them, he guards Stoudemire alot, makes timely shots....so yes it will matter to the spurs, not as much as to the suns if stoudemire or diaw get suspended but its not right to say he doesnt mean anything basically to the spurs
RGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 12:33 AM   #543
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Do you want to win a title or not? Is the urge to come off the bench greater than your dreams of winning title? If so, then you don't deserve one. I think it's a stupid rule, but its there and they knew it.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:40 AM   #544
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Do you want to win a title or not? Is the urge to come off the bench greater than your dreams of winning title? If so, then you don't deserve one. I think it's a stupid rule, but its there and they knew it.

Yeah, and as I said, if you had the time to rationally think about it then of course you wouldn't rush off the bench. The point is that you don't have time to think about it in situations like that - you just react.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:12 AM   #545
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Yeah, and as I said, if you had the time to rationally think about it then of course you wouldn't rush off the bench. The point is that you don't have time to think about it in situations like that - you just react.

So you think it's impossible?

Old 05-15-2007, 01:18 AM   #546
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
So you think it's impossible?

No, I don't think it's impossible. Clearly not every player leapt off the Suns bench and went after Horry. I'm just saying that in the heat of the moment people do things that they wouldn't usually do, because you are running on instincts and emotion, not rationality.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:26 AM   #547
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
No, I don't think it's impossible. Clearly not every player leapt off the Suns bench and went after Horry. I'm just saying that in the heat of the moment people do things that they wouldn't usually do, because you are running on instincts and emotion, not rationality.

And what I'm saying is if you want to win an NBA championship under the current rules, then you need to prepare yourself for moments like this. The better team will be able to control themselves better. The rule may be stupid but its there, and if you retire without a ring you can say "well, that's only because I didn't get to play in game 5 of the 2007 conference semifinals because of a stupid rule", but I don't think anyone will care.

Old 05-15-2007, 02:57 AM   #548
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
And what I'm saying is if you want to win an NBA championship under the current rules, then you need to prepare yourself for moments like this. The better team will be able to control themselves better. The rule may be stupid but its there, and if you retire without a ring you can say "well, that's only because I didn't get to play in game 5 of the 2007 conference semifinals because of a stupid rule", but I don't think anyone will care.

An interesting argument was raised, seeing as how this never became a brawl and amere and raja never got close enough. How is it any different then the bench players stepping on the court when their cheering a dunk of something(which happens more then you think). They dont suspend all of those players(from an SI article).

I believe if they left Bowen slide for the achilles and groin kick, they have to let amare and raja slide
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:50 AM   #549
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I should make clear that I do not want them suspended. I'm actually rooting for Phoenix.

However, I don't quite buy that explanation. They were clearly headed for Horry, and would have got to him if not held back by the Spurs coaches. Who knows what would have happened at that point.

Bottom line is if they don't leave the bench, then there's no discussion.

Old 05-15-2007, 04:45 AM   #550
miami_fan
Coordinator

Hopefully common sense prevails. I don't think they should be suspended. But if you are part of the "rules are rules" crowd, then they have to be suspended.

http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_12...av=ArticleList

Quote:
From the NBA rulebook
During an altercation, all players not participating in the game must remain in the immediate vicinity of their bench. Violators will be suspended, without pay, for a minimum of one game and fined up to $35,000. The suspensions will commence prior to the start of their next game

Just as interesting is the question of how long will Horry get. James Posey got a game for a similar shot last year for the Heat. If the Suns players get a game, does Horry have to get two or more? If the Suns players don't get suspended, does that mean Horry will only get one game?

Last edited by miami_fan : 05-15-2007 at 07:36 AM.