Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-09-2006, 06:50 PM   #501
kingfc22
Head Coach

I'm watching the Red Sox/White Sox game on INHD right now and these White Sox announcers are awful.

I can't think of hearing a couple of guys who are more homers than these two.

One guy is yelling out "Yes" when they drew a walk to get a 2nd man on in extra innings.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:25 PM   #502
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Dear god.. 19th inning.

Yes, the White Sox announcers are horrid.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:27 PM   #503
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
Dear god.. 19th inning.

Yes, the White Sox announcers are horrid.

How many times to I have to hear "our" and "we". Dude, you are not on the team.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:27 PM   #504
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

And the Sox win.

And the Sox Lose.

Thank god for the all star break.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:29 PM   #505
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Oh, it's so amusing when somebody first discovers the ungodly awfulness that is Hawk Harrelson.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 09:41 PM   #506
DeToxRox
Head Coach

HE GONE
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 10:02 PM   #507
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Wow, that was an ugly double play but it got the job done (on Sunday Night Baseball).

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 07-09-2006 at 10:02 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 06:24 PM   #508
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

http://www.ajc.com/braves/content/sp...s/0711tbs.html

Published on: 07/11/06

TBS, long known for its national telecasts of Braves games, has struck a deal with Major League Baseball to televise games not involving the Atlanta team for the first time, people familiar with the negotiations told the Journal- Constitution on Monday.

Under the deal, TBS is expected to get broadcast rights to baseball's division series games beginning next season and to weekly regular-season games beginning in the 2008 season.

The deal will broaden the baseball reach of a national cable channel whose Braves-centric telecasts once helped the club become known as "America's Team."

The new TBS deal and a separate extension of baseball's national television contract with Fox could be announced as soon as today in Pittsburgh, where baseball's All-Star game is being played.

TBS founder (and then Braves owner) Ted Turner began beaming Braves games across the nation on his fledgling cable superstation in the 1970s. But TBS gradually has scaled back its number of national Braves telecasts, from 150 at the peak to 70 this season.

The new MLB deal isn't expected to affect the 70 Braves games scheduled to be shown on TBS next season.

Atlanta-based TBS previously was scheduled to reduce its number of national Braves telecasts to 45 per season starting in 2008, and it is not clear how the MLB deal will affect the number of Braves games shown on TBS in '08 and beyond.

Braves games not shown on TBS will continue to be aired in the Southeast on regional cable channels Turner South and FSN South. Earlier this year, Turner Broadcasting — a division of Time Warner — sold Turner South to Fox Cable Networks, which also owns FSN South.

Three years ago, TBS attempted to give a more neutral feel to its Braves telecasts by briefly renaming them "MLB on TBS" and even more briefly benching longtime Braves announcers Skip Caray and Pete Van Wieren from the national broadcasts. The duo was reinstated after a half-season.

The new deal will mark the first time TBS has had rights to any baseball playoff games. It is not known if the deal will include any postseason games beyond the division series round, or if it will include any playoff games this year.

Last year, MLB signed a new eight-year contract with ESPN that gives the cable network rights to up to 80 regular-season games per year.

TBS is available in about 90 million homes.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:03 PM   #509
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Argh... if they do they, TBS better start showing some games in High-Def. I don't even know why they have a HD channel, really!
Old 07-11-2006, 07:17 PM   #510
miami_fan
Coordinator

I wonder who will call the games then. I can't imagine hearing Skip and Pete call anything but Braves games.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:32 PM   #511
JS19
College Prospect

someone please explain this for an idiot such as myself. does that mean instead of seeing a game on, lets say Fox for example, it would be on TBS instead??
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:42 PM   #512
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19
someone please explain this for an idiot such as myself. does that mean instead of seeing a game on, lets say Fox for example, it would be on TBS instead??

I don't know if "instead of" would be as accurate as "in addition to". I don't think they're so much replacing any of the other players as they are being added to the list.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:57 PM   #513
kingfc22
Head Coach

If this game "counts" then why are we stopping it for a 10 minute break?

Don't get me wrong I think it is great moment to recognize Clemente, but don't sell me this garbage about the All-Star game counting when we interrupt play. This couldn't of been done before the game begun?

Way to go Bud. You truly are a moron.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:00 PM   #514
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

kingfc22 -- I was just thinking the same thing.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:10 PM   #515
kingfc22
Head Coach

Are you kidding me?! Will we ever beat the AL?
Old 07-11-2006, 10:12 PM   #516
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

There's Jeebs manager for you.

I mean wtf? All those AS pitchers and you keep Hoffman in after he allows runners on 2nd and 3rd? I know there were 2 outs, but shit.. this is the AS game - use your players dammit!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:14 PM   #517
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22
Don't get me wrong I think it is great moment to recognize Clemente, but don't sell me this garbage about the All-Star game counting when we interrupt play. This couldn't of been done before the game begun?

Who the Hell watches before the game begins?
Old 07-11-2006, 10:23 PM   #518
JS19
College Prospect

Never thought I would be upset with the outcome of an All-Star game, but wtf. Since the Mets actually have a shot at the WS this yr this sucks. Sucks for all you other NL fans out there too bc its obvious the AL is pretty dominant this yr and every advatage helps.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:27 PM   #519
SackAttack
Head Coach

1) Trevor Hoffman sucks.

2) Phil Garner is an idiot. After that ground rule double and the ball that just missed being a homer, he should have gone and gotten him. Also, you're telling me that Garner couldn't find a place any time during that game for Nomar "I'm batting .358 overall, .412 against Rivera, and .433 close-and-late" Garciaparra to take some swings? Even, like, with the tying run on 2nd in the 9th?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:29 PM   #520
SackAttack
Head Coach

In looking at the stats, letting Carlos Lee hit was fine, but Howard's hitting .261 with runners on, and Rivera eats lefties alive. That would've been the place to bat Nomar, especially since he plays the same defensive position.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:31 PM   #521
JS19
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
1) Trevor Hoffman sucks.

2) Phil Garner is an idiot. After that ground rule double and the ball that just missed being a homer, he should have gone and gotten him. Also, you're telling me that Garner couldn't find a place any time during that game for Nomar "I'm batting .358 overall, .412 against Rivera, and .433 close-and-late" Garciaparra to take some swings? Even, like, with the tying run on 2nd in the 9th?

Agreed 100%. Also, maybe someone could explain this to me, why was Renteria batting 5th and Wright 6th? I'm not even saying that as a Mets fan, why not even bat Renteria 2nd with Beltran 5th? That one had me scratching my head bc Eckstein is the other SS so that would mean he would be batting 5th when he replaces Edgar. I should note I didnt watch the whole game so I have no clue if Eckstein made it in or not.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:34 PM   #522
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19
Agreed 100%. Also, maybe someone could explain this to me, why was Renteria batting 5th and Wright 6th? I'm not even saying that as a Mets fan, why not even bat Renteria 2nd with Beltran 5th? That one had me scratching my head bc Eckstein is the other SS so that would mean he would be batting 5th when he replaces Edgar. I should note I didnt watch the whole game so I have no clue if Eckstein made it in or not.

He did. Struck out in the one at-bat of his I saw.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:42 PM   #523
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

The batting lineup sucked, Garner's managing sucked, the 9th inning sucked.

Even his pregame sucked where he told the players, "Do whatever you want, no signs coming from me", Hell, I'm going to be in the dugout getting drunk.

Bud Selig is a f'n joke to the game so many people love.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:46 PM   #524
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan
I wonder who will call the games then. I can't imagine hearing Skip and Pete for more than ten minutes without my head exploding.

Fixed.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:48 PM   #525
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I like Selig *runs*

Old 07-11-2006, 10:50 PM   #526
LloydLungs
College Prospect

This new deal with TBS better not interfere with the MLB Extra Innings package. I get really wary anytime a new national TV contract is signed. There are way, WAY too many blackouts as is.

And yes, Garner horrendously mismanaged tonight's game. Ouch.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 11:07 PM   #527
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example
Fixed.

I like hearing them broadcast Braves games. I remember listening to them before the Marlins were formed. Yes they are homers but I have heard them rip the Braves when it was called. I have actually been listening to them on the radio instead of listening to Chip Carey on TBS. Now HE makes my head want to explode!
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 07-12-2006, 09:48 AM   #528
Terps
College Prospect

Astros close to trading for Aubrey Huff:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5778412
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 10:26 AM   #529
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
Who the Hell watches before the game begins?

Spoiled by the world cup

MLB = incompetent
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 10:27 AM   #530
Terps
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terps
Astros close to trading for Aubrey Huff:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5778412

It's now a done deal.

The Houston Astros announced today that they have acquired outfielder Aubrey Huff and $1.625 million in cash considerations from the Tampa Bay Devil Rays in exchange for minor league right-handed pitcher Mitch Talbot and minor league infielder Ben Zobrist.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:10 AM   #531
miami_fan
Coordinator

The Devil Rays are giving up cash?!
Old 07-12-2006, 12:22 PM   #532
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/art...t_index_31.asp
Fox and Turner split postseason in new MLB deal
Turner Broadcasting has just gone big into baseball. As part of Major League Baseball's new TV package announced yesterday, TBS will broadcast all four divisional series, the first round of baseball's playoffs, starting next year. Fox will continue to broadcast the World Series and one League Championship Series for another seven years. It also is increasing its regular-season coverage to 26 Saturday afternoon games from the current 18. In a sign of sports’ fading value to the broadcast networks, Fox will reportedly pay $250 million a year for its new package, down from the current $417 million a year. Post-season baseball has hurt Fox's fall ratings because its regular programs are more popular, especially with the 18-49 demographic over which advertisers salivate. One League Championship Series (LCS) is still up for bidding. ESPN, which has televised the divisional series since they started in 1995, may bid for the remaining LCS but would otherwise be shut out of the postseason. Also, TBS will cut back its Atlanta Braves coverage starting in 2008 in return for showing a national game every Sunday afternoon.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:27 AM   #533
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I like the idea of a national Sunday afternoon game.

As an aside, I do wish WGN would show more Cubs games as they've drastically cut back in the last 15 years

SI

Old 07-13-2006, 06:47 PM   #534
miami_fan
Coordinator

How does a game between the A's and the Red Sox get bumped to ESPN2 by the World Cup of Softball?
Old 07-14-2006, 04:28 PM   #535
Terps
College Prospect

Wow,

The O's sent Dan Cabrera down to AAA Ottawa today. He needed to be sent down, but I didn't think they'd actually do it. He has awesome stuff (90 K's in 85.2 IP) but horrible control (75 walks.) Sendy Rleal goes down with him, who wasn't bad, but nothing to write home about either.

Back up is Adam Loewen, who only gave up 3 runs in 3 starts since being sent down. Eddy Rodriguez comes up too, who had a 1.47 ERA at Ottawa, striking out 40 in 36.2 IP, with a .85 WHIP.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:10 PM   #536
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

http://sports.myway.com/news/07202006/v3764.html

Braves get Wickman from the Indians for a Class A catching prospect.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:20 PM   #537
kingfc22
Head Coach

Following a Piazza dropped foul ball, the Giants go back-to-back-to-back with Bonds, Durham and Feliz!!!

Putting a pounding on the Padres right now.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:37 PM   #538
kingfc22
Head Coach

Stay hot Ray Durham.

Giants actually have 7 runs against Jake Peavy. We never beat this guy.

Last edited by kingfc22 : 07-21-2006 at 10:37 PM.
kingfc22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 11:30 PM   #539
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Wow... Way to Go, John Maine (Mets)! Wasn't even scheduled to start, but throws a 4 hit, complete game shutout against the 'Stros... and the best part... it only took 98 pitches!

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 07-21-2006 at 11:30 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 11:51 PM   #540
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

ESPN says the Giants added Hillenbrand from Toronto, not sure what they traded for him yet
Old 07-22-2006, 12:00 AM   #541
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

We gave up Accardo for him and a scrub. Great. . A guy's DFa'ed, and we sell low on possibly our best middle reliever and likely closer next year.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 12:56 AM   #542
kingfc22
Head Coach

Yea, we gave up way too much for a guy DFA'd
Old 07-22-2006, 01:10 AM   #543
SackAttack
Head Coach

to quote Eddie Dean from The Dark Tower, "This is the world's smallest violin playing "My Heart Pumps Purple Piss For You."

It's mean, I know, but I'm always delighted when the Giants make questionable moves.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:37 PM   #544
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2527276

Cubs deal P Williamson to Padres for two prospects
ESPN.com news services

SAN FRANCISCO -- The San Diego Padres found the bullpen help they were seeking, acquiring right-hander Scott Williamson on Saturday from the Chicago Cubs in exchange for two minor league pitchers.

Williamson

The Cubs received Class-A pitchers Fabian Jimenez and Joel Santo in the deal. The Padres are still looking for a third baseman before the trading deadline.

"For the last couple of years our bullpen has been a large part of the reason we've been able to not only win the division last year but stay in contention," Padres general manager Kevin Towers said Saturday before the Padres played the San Francisco Giants. "I don't think you can ever have enough arms. This guy's been a closer before, been an All-Star. It just adds another arm to the mix in the late innings."

The 30-year-old Williamson is scheduled to join the Padres on Monday in Los Angeles for the opener of a three-game series with the Dodgers. He went 2-3 this season for the Cubs with a 5.08 ERA in 31 relief appearances, striking out 32 batters -- including at least one in 22 of his outings.

Towers said the trade was in the works for about a week as the Padres tried to add some depth to their taxed bullpen.

"He's somebody we've liked for some time," Towers said. "And we didn't have to take away from our big club. That was probably one of the keys to it. We were able to move two young pitchers. It seems like everybody's looking for relief help right now. So to be able to add an experienced bullpen arm at this time when everybody else is out looking for it, we think is a real shot in the arm for us."

Both Jimenez and Santo were pitching for Class-A Fort Wayne. Angulo is 5-7 with a 4.43 ERA. Santo is 5-6 with a 5.51 ERA.

Chicago has struggled all season and is currently in fifth place in the National League Central with a 37-59 record, 17½ games behind the first-place St. Louis Cardinals.

San Diego is in first place in the NL West but has lost two straight to the San Francisco Giants to see its lead cut to just ½ game entering Saturday's action.

Williamson played the first four-plus seasons of his career in Cincinnati before being traded to Boston in 2003. He joined the Cubs in 2005. Williamson's career ERA is just 3.22, but that number has been over five in each of his seasons with Chicago.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:13 PM   #545
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
We gave up Accardo for him and a scrub. Great. . A guy's DFa'ed, and we sell low on possibly our best middle reliever and likely closer next year.

Jays fans thank you. I didn't we'd get anything for Hillenbrat.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:41 AM   #546
kingfc22
Head Coach

Ahhh, first place. Nice to be back on top.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:31 PM   #547
miami_fan
Coordinator

So Jon Garland did not hit a guy that Ozzie wanted him to hit and got himself ripped in the dugout. I have seen this scene before.

When does Garland get shipped to the minors?
Old 07-25-2006, 11:37 PM   #548
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Royals ship away MacDougal (White Sox), Dessens (Dodgers), and Graffanino (Brewers) for 4 prospects, Odalis Perez, Jorge De La Rosa, and a bunch of cash towards Perez's contract. I don't quite get the Graffanino for De La Rosa deal, but the other two are solid.

SI

Old 07-26-2006, 01:42 PM   #549
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

The Mariners finally cut bait on DH Carl Everett, DFA'ing him today. I didn't like the signing at the time, and Everett did nothing to prove me wrong as he was a complete black hole in the lineup spot that should be an offensive plus. He was hitting just .227/.297/.360, and a pathetic .186/.269/.286 vs. lefties. And before anyone thinks that Safeco was killing his numbers, he was actually hitting slightly better at home.

The perpetually injured Chris Snelling has been called-up and will likely take most of Everett's AB vs. RHP with Eduardo Perez playing vs. LHP. If Snelling can ever stay healthy, he should hit similar to Lenny Dykstra in his prime - the kid can rake (Snelling's minor leage hitting stats)
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 01:59 PM   #550
Philliesfan980
Banned

It's looking more and more likely that Abreu will not be moved before Monday's trade deadline. Will be fun to pay for him next year.

Hopefully Lieber has a good night tonight so we can package him and Burrell to the RedSox.

The Phillies *WILL* do the wrong thing however, and move Dellucci. He's an everyday player in my opinion and is a better everyday option than Burrell. But of course that would make too much sense, so the Phillies don't want anything to do with that.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote