Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-11-2013, 10:31 PM   #451
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Okay, WTF is the deal with the Mohawk guy. Looks like douchebag and a poser.

He has the most punchable face I think I have seen from an athlete. It makes me wish the Bulls with MJ could take on the Heat just so Rodman could destroy him.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:32 PM   #452
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I'm also waiting for LeBron to finally click. He can't go that many games struggling like this. Spurs got two home games to win one and make things mighty interesting.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:45 PM   #453
Radii
Head Coach

DANNY GREEN!!! Damn, I'm so happy to see him put up 27 in an NBA Finals.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:46 PM   #454
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
I'm also waiting for LeBron to finally click. He can't go that many games struggling like this. Spurs got two home games to win one and make things mighty interesting.

I think LeBron is looking a little too easy to push out of the game. He warmed up at the end of the 3rd but overall he looks intimidated out there. If Indiana gave him the open Js that the Spurs are, he'd have averaged 50 points against them.

Spurs obviously shot the ball out of their minds, but most were still good looks regardless, and their hustle was 1000x greater than Miami's. I kinda think Norris Cole needs more time because he is the only guy who brings it every single game.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:53 PM   #455
korme
Go Reds

Such lackluster ball movement by Miami, lazy passes, it's like when I'm playing NBA 2k and getting beat, I just start throwing random passes in a rush and cause myself more turnovers.

Obviously the Spurs were on fire, and getting nearly any shot they wanted. Miami was running around on defense like headless chickens.

korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:10 PM   #456
nol
Banned

That's pretty much what I was thinking last night - it looked like the Heat were controlled by someone playing 2K for the first time. They just wanted to have a good time scoring with LeBron, but they didn't have the whole shot stick thing figured out, which led to a lot of awkward looking layup attempts.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:09 PM   #457
hoopsguy
General Manager

What just happened in that 3rd quarter interview with Pop? That sounded like a legit answer to the question.

I'm confused.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:22 PM   #458
hoopsguy
General Manager

Heat opened lead up to 11 with 7 to go, while James on bench. Wade has gone bonkers, up to 30 now.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:31 PM   #459
fpres
High School JV

Eh, disappointing second half by the Spurs as the wheels have really fallen off in the fourth. Hopefully they can regroup in Game 5 and at least make things interesting back in Miami.
fpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:43 PM   #460
Groundhog
Coordinator

Wade and Bosh showed up and LeBron started the game more aggressively, that was the difference really.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:49 PM   #461
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Spurs played rather sloppy as well. It would have been nice to see a team trying to go up 3-1.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:20 PM   #462
korme
Go Reds

Glad to see Wade took that fork out of his back (and apparently stuck it firmly in Ginobili's). The Big Three all played aggressively on both ends - Wade with all those steals, LeBron doing Bron things, and Bosh had absolute tremendous help defense to go along with those big time blocks.

The difference in mid-range jump shooting by Lebron and Wade was eye-popping. Look at G3 and G4, the body language on their jumpers. They didn't want to take those pull ups in G3. In G4, they welcomed them like they were in shootaround. And then they went in. Makes a difference, that mindset.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:48 AM   #463
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I didn't get to watch the game, but the stat line for Wade looks absolutely amazing.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:58 AM   #464
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Makes a difference, that mindset.

That's really the knock on these Heat though - mindset. All season long they were a juggernaut, and it's like they've taken their foot off the gas in the playoffs, and just turn it on when they have to - generally after a loss. If they had played like they did all year it's likely they would not have lost more than 1 or 2 games all playoffs.

Last edited by Groundhog : 06-14-2013 at 12:59 AM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:12 AM   #465
Groundhog
Coordinator

Also, Manu - Yikes. I know he's getting up there in years but man, he can't even dribble the basketball right now. It's a good thing Neal and Green have stepped it up because Manu is giving them less than nothing.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:56 AM   #466
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
That's really the knock on these Heat though - mindset. All season long they were a juggernaut, and it's like they've taken their foot off the gas in the playoffs, and just turn it on when they have to - generally after a loss. If they had played like they did all year it's likely they would not have lost more than 1 or 2 games all playoffs.

It has to be annoying as hell to be a Heat fan knowing they seem to plan out what four games they are going to win and don't really worry about the possible 3 losses. Parker has been near impossible for them to defend although he dropped of in the second half. Duncan can put up solid numbers, but you know he's generally not going to go off on you that much. With Wade health enough to pull off what he did last night, it is a case of the Heat merely showing up. If the Spurs win it, it will be more about what the Heat didn't do versus what the Spurs did.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:08 AM   #467
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Sorry if this has already been discussed but I have a question from a casual NBA fan. Why does the series format change in the finals? Is there an advantage for one over the other? Never made sense to me. (Neither did the five game in NBA and MLB but the NBA got rid of it at least)
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:09 AM   #468
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Worst flop EVER?!?!

[IMG][/IMG]

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:56 AM   #469
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Sorry if this has already been discussed but I have a question from a casual NBA fan. Why does the series format change in the finals? Is there an advantage for one over the other? Never made sense to me. (Neither did the five game in NBA and MLB but the NBA got rid of it at least)

Because before charters when NBA players were riding coach or a bus, travel costs were super high for non-conference matchups. Conference matches were typically fine, but with the finals and the possibility of teams playing on each coast, they made it 2-3-2. Three flights were a lot better than a possible five.

But yes, now, it's dumb. And ancient. And unfair in many ways. And no one likes it. Silver will fix this, I think.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:13 AM   #470
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Because before charters when NBA players were riding coach or a bus, travel costs were super high for non-conference matchups. Conference matches were typically fine, but with the finals and the possibility of teams playing on each coast, they made it 2-3-2. Three flights were a lot better than a possible five.

But yes, now, it's dumb. And ancient. And unfair in many ways. And no one likes it. Silver will fix this, I think.

That makes a lot of sense actually. Thanks for the info.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:58 AM   #471
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
Worst flop EVER?!?!

[IMG][/IMG]

Sadly, I don't think it is even Bosh's worst flop ever.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:01 PM   #472
hoopsguy
General Manager

Danny Green is once again unstoppable from three. Yes, I know it is only three of them in the first half. But he has 22 in 4 1/2 games, tying NBA final record.

When you talk about the great shooters in NBA history, you have Bird, Miller, Allen ....
and Green.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:45 PM   #473
Jas_lov
College Starter

Unbelievable shooting streak for Green. He just broke Allen's 3 record in the finals and we're not even done with Game 5 yet.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:09 PM   #474
Jas_lov
College Starter

Manu's back to his old self. I like the fast pace of this game. It's gone from Spurs up 15 in the 2nd quarter to a 1 point game in the 3rd and now it's back up to 10.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:44 PM   #475
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The real question is whether San Antonio can play this way on the road for the next two games...
Old 06-16-2013, 10:14 PM   #476
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
The real question is whether San Antonio can play this way on the road for the next two games...

They only need one. The NBA might be the most scripted sport out there. It just feels like we should fast forward to game 7 already.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:34 AM   #477
Buccaneer
Head Coach

This morning's headline at cbssports.com captures one of the things I hate about today's NBA: "too busy arguing calls instead of getting back on D". I am thankful for the Spurs and what they have done over the years and hope they finish off the whiny, flopping thugs.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:10 AM   #478
miami_fan
Coordinator

Definition of THUG
: a brutal ruffian or assassin : gangster, tough

Thug - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:40 AM   #479
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Definition of THUG

Ok. Wanna be thug.

Exhibit A:
Old 06-17-2013, 10:51 AM   #480
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Definition of THUG

I'm all for sticking to literal definitions if we can also stop calling athletes "warriors".
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #481
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I'm all for sticking to literal definitions if we can also stop calling athletes "warriors".

I have no issue with that either.

My objection was twofold. First, I have never heard anyone call a flopper anything resembling a thug. Second, I found it ironic that the Heat were "thugs" but there was no mention of the "thugs" (floppers) on the Spurs.

Macht nix
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:02 PM   #482
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
They only need one. The NBA might be the most scripted sport out there. It just feels like we should fast forward to game 7 already.

yeah, just like 2011 (which is exactly what this series and the spurs run as a whole reminds me off)

Diaw was the unsung hero last night (although JVG was onto his great play) in that you look at the boxscore and it doesn´t at all convey the impact he had. Even aside from his great passing and clever offensive play, he actually played great defense. When he started picking up James full court i was like "uh, oh, what the hell is he thinking ?" but aparently he mind tricked James into thinking he´s able to guard him (James shot like 4 stand-still jumpers in a row, then went into the post where Diaw is actually really good
As said, James helped him out but Diaw is really a smart player as well on both ends. Never had the career he propably could have had, but basketball smarts alone he´s allways been up there.

Manu was amazing of course, as was Danny Green obviously. If the Spurs win it and Green doesn´t completely fall off the map, do you give him the Finals MVP trophy ?
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 06-17-2013 at 12:07 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:03 PM   #483
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:

I feel like we should just fast forward to post game 7 after Lebron scores 70-80 points over the next few games.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:49 PM   #484
Groundhog
Coordinator

Caught the replay last night (already knowing the result). Fun game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Diaw was the unsung hero last night (although JVG was onto his great play) in that you look at the boxscore and it doesn´t at all convey the impact he had. Even aside from his great passing and clever offensive play, he actually played great defense. When he started picking up James full court i was like "uh, oh, what the hell is he thinking ?" but aparently he mind tricked James into thinking he´s able to guard him (James shot like 4 stand-still jumpers in a row, then went into the post where Diaw is actually really good
As said, James helped him out but Diaw is really a smart player as well on both ends. Never had the career he propably could have had, but basketball smarts alone he´s allways been up there.

I never associated Diaw with defense (probably thanks to his Phoenix days) but yeah, that was impressive. When LeBron tried to do that drop step move into the paint that he pulls on everyone that ends up with him having 2 feet inside the paint thanks to momentem, instead he just bounced off Diaw and had to shoot the jumper.

Then there was the passes, of course. That high entry pass to Duncan between two defenders was a thing of beauty, and that bounce pass to Leonard when he was trapped in the corner... wow.

Quote:
Manu was amazing of course, as was Danny Green obviously. If the Spurs win it and Green doesn´t completely fall off the map, do you give him the Finals MVP trophy ?

If Spurs win the series and Green doesn't suck for the next 1 or 2 games it definitely goes to Green IMO. Parker has mostly been solid, Duncan has mostly been solid, but Green has been solid every game. Looking back at a list of Finals MVPs, if Green won it would have to be the most surprising MVP since perhaps ever?

Last edited by Groundhog : 06-17-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:11 PM   #485
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The NBA and its media are so star-driven/star-obsessed that I think that if Duncan or Parker have an above-average game in the clinching game, that they will win it.

Of course, if Miami comes back, then this is all moot.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:16 PM   #486
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I think Miami sweeps the next two at home. Can't see them letting the Spurs clinch it on their own floor. Given the way Miami played last night, San Antonio should've been up by a lot and really didn't end it until the last minute or so when Miami could never sustain a run that would give them a lead; had they ever achieved a lead, they'd have probably hung on.

We'll see. If Danny Green is Danny Green, all might not matter. Either way, much respect to the Spurs for having the champs on the ropes.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:23 PM   #487
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
This morning's headline at cbssports.com captures one of the things I hate about today's NBA: "too busy arguing calls instead of getting back on D". I am thankful for the Spurs and what they have done over the years and hope they finish off the whiny, flopping thugs.

Seriously, this thug bit is borderline dog-whistling and disgusting. I hate, hate seeing this word used to describe someone you don't like based on what - tattoos?

Edit: Toned down a bit.

Last edited by Crapshoot : 06-17-2013 at 06:38 PM.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:46 PM   #488
Groundhog
Coordinator

There was at least one example of Miami's complaining leading to an easy basket - Wade was back arguing with officials which led to an open Green 3.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:48 PM   #489
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
I think Miami sweeps the next two at home. Can't see them letting the Spurs clinch it on their own floor. Given the way Miami played last night, San Antonio should've been up by a lot and really didn't end it until the last minute or so when Miami could never sustain a run that would give them a lead; had they ever achieved a lead, they'd have probably hung on.

We'll see. If Danny Green is Danny Green, all might not matter. Either way, much respect to the Spurs for having the champs on the ropes.

If you had asked me prior to the playoffs, than I'd have agreed with you. These Heat do not look like the regular season Heat however. I think Heat have a good shot at the title, but hey, they haven't won 2 games in a row in a long time now, road or home. If the Spurs play like the Spurs and keep LeBron shooting jumpers, anything is possible.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:27 PM   #490
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
So, I don't watch any of the 82-game preseason, and only flit in and out of the postseason -- but I'm trying to follow indirectly as well as watch when I have time.

So... is Chris Andersen making himself a lot of money with this postseason effort? I would think so - he has been visually impressive to me, even beyond the shooting streak, he seems to occupy space and work hard. There's got to be a decent market for that, right?

Back-to-back DNPs... ouch
Old 06-18-2013, 12:07 AM   #491
Groundhog
Coordinator

I think Andersen's DNPs (as well as the changes he's made to the defensive schemes around Parker that Pop has countered) show that Spoelstra is a pretty good coach and able to adjust to what's been happening each night.

I can see Andersen making an appearance in game 6, but the kind of garbage buckets and dump offs he has been scoring on in other series aren't going to be there for him as often against the Spurs, and the rest of his game just don't makeup for his weaknesses. Both Duncan and Splitter will attack him.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:11 AM   #492
RainMaker
General Manager

Andersen had been abused in the first few games by the Spurs. I think Miami has to go small and try to avoid playing Chalmers and Cole too much. Their best lineup might be Lebron, Wade, Battier, Allen, and Bosh. But it means Lebron or Wade has to play Parker.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:01 PM   #493
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Andersen had been abused in the first few games by the Spurs. I think Miami has to go small and try to avoid playing Chalmers and Cole too much. Their best lineup might be Lebron, Wade, Battier, Allen, and Bosh. But it means Lebron or Wade has to play Parker.

after seeing what Parker did to Chalmers and Cole in game 5, i´m not sure Spoelstra minds that.

Also, is there any reason why we go from 2 days rest to just 1 for game 6 and 7 (especially considering we switch home court here) ? And thereby ruining my chance to see either game live ? (tomorrow would have been great, have the day off thursday)
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:54 PM   #494
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Duncan is on fire so far. Would like to see him drop about 50 points in a Spurs win.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:07 PM   #496
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Somebody please tell Duncan to retire. He's such an embarassment
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:13 PM   #497
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Somebody please tell Duncan to retire. He's such an embarassment

Seriously, he just doesn't belong out there...
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:15 PM   #498
Jas_lov
College Starter

If Miami is going to stay with Green and the shooters I'd just keep pounding it into the red hot Duncan. Bosh can't guard him. Bird Man can't. They're helpless unless they double and then that will open up the shooters.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:22 PM   #499
Jas_lov
College Starter

Also, if Diaw and Duncan are giving Lebron 5 feet of space he should just shoot the wide open jumper. Don't drive and pass to your awful teammates, take over the game.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #500
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Problem is, he's missing most of those wide-open jumpers. I agree that's what he needs to do, but he's not making them consistently enough to make San Antonio pay for their pack-the-paint strategy.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote