Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-20-2010, 09:11 AM   #451
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Another Dragon Age II update...

This one seems a LOT more promising:

Follow the link for a video showing the difference between turn-based and non-turn based. It looks like the turn-based tactical game play will play VERY similarly to the first.

http://kotaku.com/5715110/dragon-age-ii-on-pc-doesnt-look-that-different

When it was first shown off, BioWare's Dragon Age II seemed very different to the first game. I don't know, this combat trailer for the PC version of the game looks pretty similar to Dragon Age to me.

I mean, you pause the game, there's a ton of commands, there's all kinds of words and terms only a Dragon Age or RPG player would understand, then you unpause and it all just happens. Just like the first game.

I get the impression people were afraid this would somehow become Mass Effect with swords. That's clearly — at least for PC players — not the case.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:38 AM   #452
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I am way behind everyone else, but I finally bought the Ultimate pack for this last week. I like the game so far. Very nicely done (well, except it was two days of fighting to get the dlc stuff recognized. It finally took going into control panel to turn on a service to get it recognized).

About the only complaint I have is party size. I really wish you could have at least five, maybe six party members. Class balance is hard with 4, and most especially since my favorite character to have tagging along is Allistar (because his comments are a hoot). It also seems there are several story elements that depends on certain characters being with you, but you can't keep everyone with you all the time. Allistar is actually the least usefull for me right now (since I am playing a classic tank myself), but I just hate leaving him behind.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:06 PM   #453
Dutch
"Dutch"

I was bored with Dragon Age. I felt it was too linear and scripted...of course, I'll never be happy with anything if it's not a Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale clone...so don't mind me.

Honestly, I could just take a simple graphics engine but a nice tactical turn-based method like the old gold box games and be totally content...then if it could have user made mods on top of that, I'd be in cRPG heaven.

Last edited by Dutch : 02-20-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:16 PM   #454
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

When I wanted to play Dragon Age, my 360 was dead, and now that I have it back and normal, I've got other stuff I'm going back into.

I've been listening to the CAGCast and Joystiq podcast and everybody seems to think that the next installment will be really good, with a bit more real-time fighting.

I dunno, the big game for me this year will be Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:46 AM   #455
Jughead Spock
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
I was bored with Dragon Age. I felt it was too linear and scripted...of course, I'll never be happy with anything if it's not a Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale clone...so don't mind me.

Honestly, I could just take a simple graphics engine but a nice tactical turn-based method like the old gold box games and be totally content...then if it could have user made mods on top of that, I'd be in cRPG heaven.

I couldn't agree more with this post if I were on Dutch's payroll.
Jughead Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:50 AM   #456
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead Spock View Post
I couldn't agree more with this post if I were on Dutch's payroll.

I agree with it in the sense that I would be very, very happy with a new version of those type games, but I disagree that I'll never be happy. I loved KOTHOR, and I really like this, except the few afore mentioned aggravations.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 02-21-2011 at 07:51 AM.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:14 AM   #457
Dutch
"Dutch"

Today's RPG's aren't bad, just totally different from what interested me in this stuff in the first place.

The problem with Dragon Age to me is that there is no tension, no drama. All my NPC's are at the fate of the storyline and I have no control over that. It's just boring to me.

I would be happy to build a part of 5 or 6 Level 1 characters and then go march off into the nearest forest or cave to fight and if I can get 3 or 4 of those guys to return to the city (or home base) to rest, level up, re-equip, hire some more Level 1 guys to fill in the gaps and then head back out on the adventure would be just fine with me.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:54 AM   #458
Jughead Spock
High School Varsity

What I don't understand is that companies will milk things like Madden or Grand Theft Auto to death, but they dropped BG after 2. I'd be just fine with the same engine, throw another story on top of it. The one area where I wish that they WOULD go for the money grab, they don't. Go figure.
Jughead Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:49 PM   #459
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Have you ever played Knights of the Chalice? It's an indie cRPG with a very gold box feel to it. No user made mods I'm aware of though.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:37 PM   #460
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Today's RPG's aren't bad, just totally different from what interested me in this stuff in the first place.

The problem with Dragon Age to me is that there is no tension, no drama. All my NPC's are at the fate of the storyline and I have no control over that. It's just boring to me.

I would be happy to build a part of 5 or 6 Level 1 characters and then go march off into the nearest forest or cave to fight and if I can get 3 or 4 of those guys to return to the city (or home base) to rest, level up, re-equip, hire some more Level 1 guys to fill in the gaps and then head back out on the adventure would be just fine with me.

I have to say, KOTOR 2 is what I live for in an RPG, even if it wasn't finished - lots of choices, lots of world view, ambiguous resolution - all awesome.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:05 PM   #461
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead Spock View Post
What I don't understand is that companies will milk things like Madden or Grand Theft Auto to death, but they dropped BG after 2. I'd be just fine with the same engine, throw another story on top of it. The one area where I wish that they WOULD go for the money grab, they don't. Go figure.

Baldur's Gate died off because Interplay was losing money and closed Black Isle Studios. Interplay kept the rights to the game but didn't have anyone to continue the series. That's why all of the old Black Isle titles just disappeared until Bethesda picked up the rights to the Fallout series.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:09 PM   #462
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
I have to say, KOTOR 2 is what I live for in an RPG, even if it wasn't finished - lots of choices, lots of world view, ambiguous resolution - all awesome.

I do like the BioWare stuff and I played through both KOTOR's (and I can't say I've stuck around to the end for many of those epic games...but yeah, those were good).
Old 02-23-2011, 05:55 AM   #463
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I am way behind everyone else, but I finally bought the Ultimate pack for this last week. I like the game so far. Very nicely done (well, except it was two days of fighting to get the dlc stuff recognized. It finally took going into control panel to turn on a service to get it recognized).

About the only complaint I have is party size. I really wish you could have at least five, maybe six party members. Class balance is hard with 4, and most especially since my favorite character to have tagging along is Allistar (because his comments are a hoot). It also seems there are several story elements that depends on certain characters being with you, but you can't keep everyone with you all the time. Allistar is actually the least usefull for me right now (since I am playing a classic tank myself), but I just hate leaving him behind.
Always had a Ranger that could summon wolf/spider/bear which helped alot. In DAO2 I had 2 Rangers in the party so that gave me alot of firepower in battles.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:04 AM   #464
DougW
High School Varsity

Quote:

Make Alistair a rogue .

Just have to enable the console, and you're ready .

To enable console : http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Console
(link has instructions to enable console as well as the console commands).

To make him a rogue (or mage), select him and type :

~runscript rogue **
or for mage :
~runscript wizard **
(where ** = level you want him to be).

**Sometimes, he'll lose skill points : but you can add spells through the console as well.
~runscript addtalent ####
(scroll down on the above link to see the # for the spell you wish him - or anyone - to learn. It will effect the character you are currently controlling)

Additionally, there are some REALLY GREAT mods for this game. Most can be found at : http://www.dragonagenexus.com/downloads/categories.php

I do suggest : http://www.dragonagenexus.com/downlo...le.php?id=1110
This is an addon that allows you to see what you are typing when making console changes. (Without this mod, you are typing blind).

Some of my favorites : Extra Dog Slot (lets you bring your dog as a permanent 5th party member), Character Respec (allows you to redistribute points and spells for your character and party members), Paladin Spec, various difficulty increases, clothing, dungeons, .. really a ton of mods - the community is very active.

If you have any questions, hit me up : I love the game, have replayed it a jillion times, and am quite familiar with most mods.

Last edited by DougW : 03-12-2011 at 10:00 AM.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:37 AM   #465
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post
Make Alistair a rogue .

Just have to enable the console, and you're ready .

To enable console :
(link has instructions to enable console as well as the console commands).

To make him a rogue (or mage), select him and type :

~runscript rogue **
or for mage :
~runscript wizard **
(where ** = level you want him to be).

**Sometimes, he'll lose skill points : but you can add spells through the console as well.
~runscript addtalent ####
(scroll down on the above link to see the # for the spell you wish him - or anyone - to learn. It will effect the character you are currently controlling)

Additionally, there are some REALLY GREAT mods for this game. Most can be found at :

I do suggest :
This is an addon that allows you to see what you are typing when making console changes. (Without this mod, you are typing blind).

Some of my favorites : Extra Dog Slot (lets you bring your dog as a permanent 5th party member), Character Respec (allows you to redistribute points and spells for your character and party members), Paladin Spec, various difficulty increases, clothing, dungeons, .. really a ton of mods - the community is very active.

If you have any questions, hit me up : I love the game, have replayed it a jillion times, and am quite familiar with most mods.

Cool, thanks. I'm going to try it finishing it at least once without going to the console, but I probably will play with the mods on my further trys. Played around last night with the Leliana's Fire DLC for a few minutes. That looks like it will be fun.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:35 AM   #466
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Anyone try out the Dragon Age II demo yet? I downloaded it for the PS3 yesterday and played through it on the normal difficulty level as a mage. I was somewhat underwhelmed mostly due to the combat engine. It really does seem like Bioware have turned to much more of an arcade style. The action is faster and the spell explosions are bigger than in the original Dragon Age. After my character died in one of the battles, I was switched to the last character standing, a warrior. I quickly realized that I could turn to the Barry Sanders strategy I used so successfully in Elder Scrolls: Oblivion in racing to the top of the towers. I was up against 7 enemies all by myself, but like Oblivion, I could just juke, hit and run. It took a bit of time, but it was easy to eventually pick them off one at a time.

I would hope that more of a tactical approach is possible, but for me, the game is too fast for that. I'll probably still pick up the game at some point, but I don't see it as a release day purchase right now.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:02 AM   #467
DougW
High School Varsity

Haven't tried it, not sure I will.

Bioware has come out and said they have made this game more arcade style than DAO. Faster pace, less tactics. More 'mashy' I guess. They do say that they want it to *not* be a button masher though, and that they want the user to feel like when he presses, something amazing happens.

From what I've read though, it looks (graphically) much better & as expected from Bioware .. great story line.

Last edited by DougW : 03-01-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:02 AM   #468
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Doug, for what its worth, PC Gamer had a review saying it was absolutely amazing. I'm more concerned about story and interaction and impact than combat, and I feel good reading this:

http://www.psu.com/Dragon-Age-II-Han...a010810-p0.php

Last edited by Crapshoot : 03-01-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:27 AM   #469
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab View Post
Anyone try out the Dragon Age II demo yet? I downloaded it for the PS3 yesterday and played through it on the normal difficulty level as a mage. I was somewhat underwhelmed mostly due to the combat engine. It really does seem like Bioware have turned to much more of an arcade style. The action is faster and the spell explosions are bigger than in the original Dragon Age. After my character died in one of the battles, I was switched to the last character standing, a warrior. I quickly realized that I could turn to the Barry Sanders strategy I used so successfully in Elder Scrolls: Oblivion in racing to the top of the towers. I was up against 7 enemies all by myself, but like Oblivion, I could just juke, hit and run. It took a bit of time, but it was easy to eventually pick them off one at a time.

I would hope that more of a tactical approach is possible, but for me, the game is too fast for that. I'll probably still pick up the game at some point, but I don't see it as a release day purchase right now.

I tried the demo on pc, can't say that I liked the changes. I hated that the tactical overhead camera was removed, it made it a lot harder to see the battle field. It's made worse with mages being you can't cast an AOE spell on an enemy, it has to be on the ground making it difficult to cast where you want with player lock on. The automatic default attack on the closest enemy for the character you're controlling wasn't good either.

Hopefully some of these problems can at least be fixed with mods

Last edited by mckerney : 03-01-2011 at 11:58 AM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:39 AM   #470
DougW
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Doug, for what its worth, PC Gamer had a review saying it was absolutely amazing. I'm more concerned about story and interaction and impact than combat, and I feel good reading this:

Dragon Age II Hands-on Preview: Play How You Please -- PlayStation Universe

Thanks Crap

Just gave it a read, it made me a little more interested. One of my major concerns was that I was afraid of being pigeon holed with "Hawke". Hopefully it's as they claim, and the character can go many directions. That was a big draw for me with DAO, that there were 6 different origin stories. Sure, they all ended up tunneling pretty quickly into the main plot line - but the 'character' had a different 'feel'. If that makes any sense.

Probably though, the biggest issue for me will be a toolset. (I'm a PC player) If they provide one like they did DAO, I'll probably try it out. If not, it'll take some pretty uber reviews to get me on board.

But, the toolset is pretty big for me. (I haven't heard ~anything~ one way or another about that feature). I just really think the modding community was great on DAO. Heck, it even taught me a couple things, and I was able to do some basic stuff haha.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:42 AM   #471
DougW
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
I hated that the tactical overhead camera was removed, it made it a lot harder to see the battle field.
THIS is something I've read, and did NOT like reading .. at all.

Quote:
It's made worse with mages being you can't cast an AOE spell on an enemy, it has to be on the ground
Didn't know that ... ewww.

Quote:
Hopefully some of these problems can at least be fixed with mods
Have you heard if there is going to be a toolset ? .. If not, I would expect a signicant dropoff in the modding.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:54 AM   #472
wade moore
lolzcat

Hrm.. I pre-ordered for the xbox.. but I haven't finished Origins yet and reading this stuf... might cancel that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:58 AM   #473
Schmidty
Coordinator

I just played the demo and really liked it. I want to play Rift, but since the first one is one of my favorite games ever, I'll be pre-ordering this first.

I have no idea what problem anyone that likes the first one could have with this one, after playing the demo. I can play "arcade" style (which I don't), or I can pause constantly and use the free-roam camera when I want. The only thing I noticed is that the game looked much nicer than the first on my freshly built PC. Of course, as I've said before, I don't search for flaws or over-analyze games. Maybe I'm just too lazy, or maybe I just sub-consciously overlook flaws when it's a game that I really want to like. Sounds bad, but it's worked for me so far.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:50 PM   #474
Schmidty
Coordinator

Amazon.com: Interplay Baldurs Gate Compilation: Video Games

Icewind Dale - The Ultimate Collection

Ahhhh.....those were the greatest games ever. I need to buy all of them again.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:56 PM   #475
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
Amazon.com: Interplay Baldurs Gate Compilation: Video Games

Icewind Dale - The Ultimate Collection

Ahhhh.....those were the greatest games ever. I need to buy all of them again.

You can get DRM free digital copies at gog.com. prices run from $6.99 to $9.99
Old 03-01-2011, 01:03 PM   #476
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I didn't try the demo, but already have it pre-ordered.

I am not sure about some of the changes, but I've loved pretty much everything Bioware has done, so I have faith.

Looking forward to it.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 03-01-2011, 01:11 PM   #477
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
You can get DRM free digital copies at gog.com. prices run from $6.99 to $9.99

Really? Thanks for the info!!
Old 03-01-2011, 06:27 PM   #478
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Really? Thanks for the info!!

I'd also recommend Planescape: Torment and Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magic Obscura from them for classic RPGs.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:37 PM   #479
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
I just played the demo and really liked it. I want to play Rift, but since the first one is one of my favorite games ever, I'll be pre-ordering this first.

I have no idea what problem anyone that likes the first one could have with this one, after playing the demo. I can play "arcade" style (which I don't), or I can pause constantly and use the free-roam camera when I want. The only thing I noticed is that the game looked much nicer than the first on my freshly built PC. Of course, as I've said before, I don't search for flaws or over-analyze games. Maybe I'm just too lazy, or maybe I just sub-consciously overlook flaws when it's a game that I really want to like. Sounds bad, but it's worked for me so far.

Origins is one of my favorite games too, Steam has me playing it for 240 hours. I've also pre-ordered Dragon Age 2 and am looking forward to playing it, but everything I've read about it has me really worried that 2 is an incredibly dumbed down version or Origins. Unfortunately playing the demo didn't make me any more confident about it, and neither has reading things like you won't be able to customize the equipment of your party members.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:39 PM   #480
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
I'd also recommend Planescape: Torment and Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magic Obscura from them for classic RPGs.

Oh yeah, I loved both of those. Totally forgot about Arcanum, so thanks for the reminder. Looks like I have a LOT of gaming to do. Of course, I'm a shut-in right now, so that shouldn't be a problem.....
Old 03-08-2011, 09:20 AM   #481
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I started downloading Dragon Age 2 before I left for work. Definitely looking forward to this. I loved the first and loved both Mass Effect games. BioWare hasn't disappointed.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:55 PM   #482
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I started downloading Dragon Age 2 before I left for work. Definitely looking forward to this. I loved the first and loved both Mass Effect games. BioWare hasn't disappointed.

I had it preloaded and installed the additional content, including the high resolution textures patch, and will be playing it when I get home from work. Still looking forward to it, but reading things like being unable to equip the members of your party isn't doing anything to alleviate my worries about the game.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:10 PM   #483
Atocep
Coordinator

I'm a few hours into 2 and so far it's a bit of a letdown.

-The simplified inventory for your party members annoys me.

-The new combat on the PC version is hit and miss. Rogues are more fun. Mages and Warriors aren't IMO.

-Friendly fire off removes a hell of a lot of strategy.

-The storyline doesn't pull you in at the start like the first one did. Origins story, Grey Wardens, and Darkspawn got you interested right from the beginning. This one is severely lacking there.

-I'm really getting annoyed at how much Bioware just reuses areas. Doing your 10th quest in an area gets old.

So far it's a solid game but a disappointment compared to the first one. Bioware is moving away from their roots as PC RPG game developers and catering more to the action console crowd and they're starting to lose me.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:46 AM   #484
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

For those concerned about DRM, apparently there is an unwelcome undisclosed surprise in DA2:

Quote:
While Reclaim Your Game, which acts as a gamer’s consumers’ rights advocacy group campaigning against oppressive DRM had praised EA for excluding SecuROM from Dragon Age: Origins, recent testing of the sequel compelled the site to give it an “Unacceptable” rating due to the inclusion of DRM and, most importantly, EA’s failure to disclose it anywhere to consumers.

In a recent email sent to their subscribers, representatives from RYG wrote:

“We have CONFIRMED from testing that it DOES contain SecuROM, and that it DOES leave files behind. We can also confirm that nowhere on the package, in the EULA or on the Website for the game is thee ANY mention of the inclusion of SecuROM. EA had been ordered by the courts to disclose the use of SecuROM on any game that uses it. And it is contradictory of what Bioware has been saying for the last 3 weeks.”

In their report, RYG cites multiple areas of concern, including:
Inconsistent information about DRM
No EULA for SecuROM
SecuROM files hidden from user
SecuROM files not removed after online activation
DRM removal tool not included; SecuROM remains even after user uninstalls game

More info at http://www.rygvbul.reclaimyourgame.c...2-00034-01.pdf and Reclaim Your Game, Consumer-Focused - RYG News: Analysing SecuROM In Dragon Age 2
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:49 PM   #485
Shepp
High School Varsity

Personally I think I'm going to hold off on this until it goes on sale or the price goes down. I think $59.99 for the PC versionis just a tad too steep.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:32 AM   #486
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

from reviews, sounds like a tad more than a tad too steep
Old 03-12-2011, 08:42 AM   #487
frnk55
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepp View Post
Personally I think I'm going to hold off on this until it goes on sale or the price goes down. I think $59.99 for the PC versionis just a tad too steep.
Amazon has it for 47.99. Right now I refuse to spend 60 bucks for a pc game.
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:44 AM   #488
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I'm a few hours into 2 and so far it's a bit of a letdown.

-The simplified inventory for your party members annoys me.

-The new combat on the PC version is hit and miss. Rogues are more fun. Mages and Warriors aren't IMO.

-Friendly fire off removes a hell of a lot of strategy.

-The storyline doesn't pull you in at the start like the first one did. Origins story, Grey Wardens, and Darkspawn got you interested right from the beginning. This one is severely lacking there.

-I'm really getting annoyed at how much Bioware just reuses areas. Doing your 10th quest in an area gets old.

So far it's a solid game but a disappointment compared to the first one. Bioware is moving away from their roots as PC RPG game developers and catering more to the action console crowd and they're starting to lose me.

I think I read somewhere that this would not be appropriate for 12 year old? Can you confirm. DO Awakening was all fighting, no "relationships" to worry about.

Your thoughts on replayability?
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:56 AM   #489
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I think I read somewhere that this would not be appropriate for 12 year old? Can you confirm. DO Awakening was all fighting, no "relationships" to worry about.

It's rated PEGI 18 and I believe it has the same type of relationship system as Origins.

Quote:
Your thoughts on replayability?

I played 3 or 4 characters through the game in Origins, so far I'm not feeling this one will have the same level of replayability for me.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:09 AM   #490
Ironhead
College Prospect

For what it's worth Mrs. Ironhead loved the first Dragon Age but has been disappointed by Dragon Age 2 so far. She doesn't care for a lot of the changes they made and doesn't think the story is anywhere near as good.
Ironhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:28 AM   #491
GrantDawg

Meanwhile, I am most of the way finished with my second replay of the orginal (well, 2.5. I restarted my first try haslf-way through). This time with a city elf rogue with two weapon fighting style. Fun, fun, fun. I haven't had a single hic-up in trying to figure out a strat to beat anything through this play through. I decided to do the mages circle first to pick up the preachy-healer, and have went most of the way with two mages and Allistar. I even took down the High Dragon in Ashes-ruins without a restart. Then I dropped Morrigan once I did the dwarves (I hate Ograine really, but I tend to keep the players that makes sense for the story line), and discovered three melee's and a healer kicks butt. Went and killed Morrigan's mom with that set-up (except traded Ograine for Sten), and might just run the rest of the way like this. I am not sure, though. I think I might miss the crowd control, especially in the last battle.

Having said all that, I still haven't even touched awakenings, much less Witch Hunt, and have zero desire to buy the new game.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 03-12-2011 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:55 AM   #492
DougW
High School Varsity

Quote:
I haven't had a single hic-up in trying to figure out a strat to beat anything through this play through. ..... I even took down the High Dragon in Ashes-ruins without a restart.

If this continues, and the game begins to bore because of it (too easy), some mods will breathe new life into it. Like I said before, hit me up if you get to that point .

examples :
Combat Tweaks : it adjust many spells and abilities in the game. It also has a system that allows you to adjust the strength of each rank of monster. Like, making the lieutenants harder, or bosses super hard. You can literally make the white level monsters harder than original bosses - so, it'd be like getting swarmed by a group of flemeths and archdemons. Doesn't change appearance, just their base stats. This mod was a big one for me, when I got to the point you are. Really made me think each pull again.
Combat Tweaks v323 at Dragon Age Nexus - Dragon Age mods and community

Slinks RaVage : This one actually -adds- mobs and loot to the game. So, you get extra mobs, and lieutenants, bosses, etc. Helps a lot when you reach that point where the fun slows down because you already know whats around the corner. With this mod, you don't anymore (aside from your tracking skills). Each zone entry is a fresh load for this mod, and the additional enemy are all random. So, potentially you could save just before zoning, zone in and fight a room - exit the game, reload the save before zoning - zone back in and have a totally different experience in that room. The extra mobs are also custimizable. (You decide how tough they are). Really adds to replayability. The gear it adds is in the same mindset. All the new mobs can drop different gear. Completely user custimizable too. So, you can have it not drop gear, have it drop good gear, have it drop great gear, have it drop only heavy armor, only rings, a mix of everything etc. Totally up to you.
slinks s3 RAVAge at Dragon Age Nexus - Dragon Age mods and community
*** Note : It doesn't delete the original spawns, just adds extras. So, like when you get to the top of the ogre tower - he'll still be there, but he might be there with a lieutenant grade healer or something else random. Or, still alone - like I say, all random.

Last edited by DougW : 03-12-2011 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:41 AM   #493
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post
If this continues, and the game begins to bore because of it (too easy), some mods will breathe new life into it. Like I said before, hit me up if you get to that point .

examples :
Combat Tweaks : it adjust many spells and abilities in the game. It also has a system that allows you to adjust the strength of each rank of monster. Like, making the lieutenants harder, or bosses super hard. You can literally make the white level monsters harder than original bosses - so, it'd be like getting swarmed by a group of flemeths and archdemons. Doesn't change appearance, just their base stats. This mod was a big one for me, when I got to the point you are. Really made me think each pull again.
Combat Tweaks v323 at Dragon Age Nexus - Dragon Age mods and community

Slinks RaVage : This one actually -adds- mobs and loot to the game. So, you get extra mobs, and lieutenants, bosses, etc. Helps a lot when you reach that point where the fun slows down because you already know whats around the corner. With this mod, you don't anymore (aside from your tracking skills). Each zone entry is a fresh load for this mod, and the additional enemy are all random. So, potentially you could save just before zoning, zone in and fight a room - exit the game, reload the save before zoning - zone back in and have a totally different experience in that room. The extra mobs are also custimizable. (You decide how tough they are). Really adds to replayability. The gear it adds is in the same mindset. All the new mobs can drop different gear. Completely user custimizable too. So, you can have it not drop gear, have it drop good gear, have it drop great gear, have it drop only heavy armor, only rings, a mix of everything etc. Totally up to you.
slinks s3 RAVAge at Dragon Age Nexus - Dragon Age mods and community
*** Note : It doesn't delete the original spawns, just adds extras. So, like when you get to the top of the ogre tower - he'll still be there, but he might be there with a lieutenant grade healer or something else random. Or, still alone - like I say, all random.

Deffinetely keeping it in mind. So far, still having fun. I don't think it is too easy (still playing in normal mode). Just gotten the skills down pat and everything, so not as many mistakes. Plus, having done it before, not as many surprises. I have a feeling the last battle will still give me fits regardless of party lay-out. It took me several attempts to beat it the first time. Not as many times as it took to take down the "good-guys" in Dragon-Age chronicles (that was tough).
Old 03-13-2011, 06:53 PM   #494
Atocep
Coordinator

I feel like the first 2 Acts (out of 3) are just character development and filler content. The story doesn't really get started until the final act.

For me this is a 6 or 7 out 10 while Origins was easily a 9.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:32 PM   #495
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Man, the metacritic page for this game is nuts. Critics love it, users hate it.

Mrs. Leafs has been looking forward to this for months, and so far she's enjoying it. She went through some of the criticisms and didn't disagree, but so far she says she's having a great time with it.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:06 PM   #496
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

I'm enjoying it (still in Act 1), but I don't know what the overarcing storyline is yet (or if there is one)- and I haven't had any decisions that are particularly nebulous. Maybe its just my gameplay, but most of my decisions (without any spoilers) is pretty easy - support the mage in any of those quests.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:22 PM   #497
mckerney
Coordinator

WIT: The Opening Hours Of Dragon Age II | Rock, Paper, Shotgun
Old 03-14-2011, 09:38 PM   #498
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Man, the metacritic page for this game is nuts. Critics love it, users hate it.

Mrs. Leafs has been looking forward to this for months, and so far she's enjoying it. She went through some of the criticisms and didn't disagree, but so far she says she's having a great time with it.

I think 4chan has been driving the lower reviews there. Hair across their ass for whatever reason.

Personally, I was just so incredibly disappointed with the first I just have no interest in the 2nd either way. Was expecting and hoping for a Baldur's Gate, maybe unfairly, didn't get it.

Last edited by jeff061 : 03-14-2011 at 09:38 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:12 AM   #499
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I finally started in on "Dragon Age 2." I think I've played about 8 hours so far.

I am really enjoying it.

I played 80+ hours of "Origins" and another 20-30 hours of "Awakening." I also played "Mass Effect" and "Mass Effect 2", including a number of the "Mass Effect 2" DLC scenarios, and I definitely feel like I am playing "Dragon Age" and not "Mass Effect." Combat is very much like it was. I pause, I plan, I give my guys their actions, un-pause, let it run, pause again, etc. Some of the moves are a little flashier and some enemies do explode into a mess of blood and limbs, and the camera angles are different, but I really feel like I am playing very much the same game as the first.

It's not a one-for-one match, but it's definitely NOT "Mass Effect" either. I don't think I am the best at the combat, so I might not be as sensitive to some of the changes as other people are.

I like my character having a voice. I don't understand why they don't allow you to change your NPCs armor. That is kind of weird.

The story, so far, is definitely more intimate and personal than the last, which was epic in scope.

I do think they could have improved some things on the story so far. I think it would have been better to have an intro scene, like in the first, that showed your family living their normal lives prior to the attack. It would have helped flesh out your relationship and get a sense of character and normalcy before all hell broke loose.

So far, I am really enjoying it.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:21 PM   #500
Izulde
Head Coach

Fuck the bugs, man. I'm really pissed off right now. Dragon Age: Awakening

Spoiler

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)

Last edited by Izulde : 04-17-2011 at 10:22 PM.
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote