Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-26-2008, 07:16 PM   #451
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spree View Post
But why is no one addressing what a huge revenue boost this might be to the league? Favre-to-New York is like Grezky going to L.A. or Jordan joining the Knicks. The most acclaimed player (3 MVPs) of his generation, who unlike, say, A-Rod, has never had a bad thing said about him, moving from the smallest media market in professional sports to the biggest... it's an NFL exec's dream.

Geez, where to begin with your inaccuracies...

Gretzky going to LA is what caused people to believe that the NHL could survive, and even flourish, in warm weather cities. The league would be half it's current size if Gretzky never went to LA. Football is kind of already a big deal here, no help from Favre needed.

And Favre has had a bad thing said about him as he had to come out and admit his addiction to painkillers. And there's a ton of fans out there who are sick of him being shoved down our throats by jackasses like Madden. Now there's even more who can't stand him due to this recent episode. And a large portion of his own fans don't want him.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 07:28 PM   #452
Spree
n00b

"Geez, where to begin with your innaccuracies" What's with with the anomisity? Giants fan perhaps?

And here I thought my post was a stunning piece of sports analysis...

Anyway, your missing the point on Gretzky. It's possible the league would've already folded by now had he not been shipped off to LA. I'm just being speculative, but I can only see how Gretzky helped the sport of hockey, not harmed it.

About Favre and his reputation... I'm just comparing his to A-Rod's. A-Rod was already a heel by the time he arrived in NY, by virture of his huge contract. And what'd it lead to? Despite a huge signing, it culminated in the biggest collapse in the history of baseball. I doubt something similar would happen to Favre, just based on the fact that most people will be rooting for him to succeed.

And the "large portion of his own fans" who don't want him is more of a whimsical fantasy of retiring on top and protecting his legacy rather than a feeling that he can no longer play.

From NYC, Logan... even though that's a Boston name... why in God's name aren't you psyched about Favre coming to the Jets? Is Pennington that preferrable?
Spree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 07:35 PM   #453
Logan
Head Coach

First I'm a Giants fan, then I'm a Jets fan...keep trying, but head out west this time.

Your point was that Favre to the Jets would be a financial windfall for the NFL. Football is huge here; unlike LA's hockey days pre-Gretzky, it can't get any bigger.

You're doing a nice job in bringing up your lazy post-per-day count.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:47 PM   #454
Spree
n00b

Let's keep arguing, like all good New Yorkers should.

Favre + New York = lots and lots and lots of jerseys sold... TV audience up... rejuvenation in a franchise that hasn't won in 30 years.....

Yes, interest in football won't be boosted in NYC, like it was with Gretzky and hockey in L.A. But don't you think adding Favre to our already stacked stable of cultural icons is ultimately good for the city/state? Imagine a Jets-Giants Super Bowl. Would it be the lowest-rated Super Bowl ever, like it was for the 2000 Mets-Yankees World Series? Absolutely not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
First I'm a Giants fan, then I'm a Jets fan...keep trying, but head out west this time.

Ah-ha! You just all credibility with your admission of contradictory football allegiances! (If we still had the quote banner at the top of the page, I'd nominate that line, if only because it took me two hours to write)

Seriously, don't your friends rip on you for committing that ultimate sin of New York sports fandom, liking two of the city's teams at the same time?
Old 07-26-2008, 07:55 PM   #455
Logan
Head Coach

Are you really this dense? First YOU SAID I'm a Giants fan, then YOU SAID I'm a Jets fan. I am neither. I'm a Niner fan.

Good lord. I'm done here.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:58 PM   #456
Spree
n00b

Ok, sorry to upset you.

People say that New Yorkers are usually temperamental people... and, uh...

Anyway, let's talk about this man-to-man. I'm on the Hudson Line. Meet me at the 125th station in 30 minutes. I'll be wearing a Favre jersey.

Also, Niners' fan here as well. Well, at least I was until I found out Favre was coming to the Big Apple. No, really, I am. And judging by their recent lack of success, I can understand why you're so pissed off.

Last edited by Spree : 07-26-2008 at 08:07 PM.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:31 PM   #457
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

I have a farve rookie card, when did he change the spelling of his name spree.

TCY Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 09:02 PM   #458
Spree
n00b

I didn't know we were busting out the Favre-has-a-funny-name jokes so early into this thread. Well, I guess 10 pages outta do it.

Seriously, can anyone tell me why Favre going to New York would be bad for the league?

Last edited by Spree : 07-26-2008 at 09:31 PM.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:41 PM   #459
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spree View Post
Anyway, let's talk about this man-to-man. I'm on the Hudson Line. Meet me at the 125th station in 30 minutes. I'll be wearing a Favre jersey.

No thanks dude, unlike you I don't wander into Harlem to meet strange men at night.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:46 PM   #460
Spree
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
No thanks dude, unlike you I don't wander into Harlem to meet strange men at night.

Classic New York ball-busting
Old 07-26-2008, 09:47 PM   #461
Logan
Head Coach

All in good fun man.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:39 AM   #462
Jas_lov
College Starter

Peter King has reported that Brett Favre will NOT report to camp on Sunday. Thompson wanted a couple more days to resolve the situation and Favre agreed saying, "I don't want to be a distraction to the Packers and I hope in the next few days we can come to an agreement that would allow me to continue playing football.''
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:35 AM   #463
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

sweet
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 04:38 PM   #464
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Favre sent in his reinstatement papers.

Now the circus REALLY begins. Although, probably still another 72 hours before he'd step on a practice field. Goddell will probably sign off on it tomorrow, then he goes to GB for a physical I'm sure and then possibly practice on Friday.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 04:44 PM   #465
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I've heard reports locally that Goddell contacted Green Bay (Thompson?) and said that if Brett was willing, he (Goddell) wanted him back in the league. Clearly having him in the league is good for public attention. Those papers will be signed quite quickly.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 04:56 PM   #466
molson
General Manager

Can we now all agree that the ball is in the Packers' court?

Last edited by molson : 07-29-2008 at 04:56 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:11 PM   #467
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Can we now all agree that the ball is in the Packers' court?

Actually, it's in Goddell's.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 07-29-2008, 06:57 PM   #468
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

The wife and I have been laughing about ESPN the last several days about their sports ticker at the bottom. I am sure most of you have noticed that Favre has his own section right along with MLB, NFL, NBA, NASCAR. It is pretty funny. I think in a couple days one of the ESPN channels is renamed the Favre Network and it is 24-7 Favre.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:00 PM   #469
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
The wife and I have been laughing about ESPN the last several days about their sports ticker at the bottom. I am sure most of you have noticed that Favre has his own section right along with MLB, NFL, NBA, NASCAR. It is pretty funny. I think in a couple days one of the ESPN channels is renamed the Favre Network and it is 24-7 Favre.

That's hilarious.

Just wait until the season starts and he's playing in NY.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:32 PM   #470
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

ESPN 4

FAVR-YAH!
Old 07-29-2008, 09:09 PM   #471
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post

Other than watching the last few episodes of "Lost" that I had DVR'd, I have watched a grand total of about 2 hours of TV since the Red Wings won the Stanley Cup.

I don't miss it at all. At. All.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:11 PM   #472
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

I am sick of it. Send him to NY, send him to TB, send him to Minnesota for all I fuckin' care - just get him off my TV and give me the REAL Green Bay Packers and some REAL freakin' FOOTBALL.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:44 PM   #473
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Packers team president Mark Murphy is reportedly heading to Mississippi to try to talk Favre out of reporting to camp. Why Favre would do that (simply because Murphy asked him to?) is beyond me. Murphy would need to provide a more compelling rationale than "protect your legacy," and I just don't see what else he'd have to offer here.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:34 PM   #474
Anthony
Banned

this is silly. if the Packers don't want him - release him. they're being seriously stupid in all this. normally a team will say "we don't want you to play for our team". the Packers are basically saying "we don't want you to play football at all, even though you still arguably have the ability to do so".
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:46 PM   #475
bhlloy
Coordinator

In all honesty though, you can understand why the Packers are doing this. If Favre retires and they don't do as well as last year, they have a get out of jail free card. If he gets released and they don't do as well, it's a big black mark against the front office. Especially if he goes somewhere like Minnesota or Chicago and basically makes them a contender.

If Favre loves football so much he should just come back and be the backup. Chances of Rodgers not playing up to his level or getting hurt have got to be decently good and if a starter goes down in preseason or the first couple of weeks, he might get his trade to a contender anyway. This is just tarnishing his legacy right now and screwing over "his" franchise.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:49 PM   #476
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Why shouldn't they be allowed to trade him?
Old 07-30-2008, 12:04 AM   #477
bhlloy
Coordinator

One more thing, the Packers are giving him the opportunity to be the backup QB (obviously that isn't the ideal situation, but it's not like they are mounting legal challenges to keep him retired or trying to prove he is injured and putting him on the PUP list or something) I don't see why he deserves anything more than that, especially when he gave them every single reason to go in a different direction. Sometimes in life you don't just get to say "oops sorry my bad, I changed my mind, now everyone fall back in line with what I want"
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:12 AM   #478
Anthony
Banned

when the Panthers are forced to start an over 40 year old QB in Vinny Testeverde in '07 - that alone should tell you just how scarce talent is in the QB position in the NFL. the fact that the Packers have access to arguably one of the top 5 QBs in the league (when he's playing at the level he did in '07) and decide to go with an unproven backup *just because Favre made them initially go in a different direction before training camp started* doesn't mean they should automatically respond "too bad for you, Brett". there's about 10 teams that would love to be in the predicament the Packers are in right now, on the cusp of trip to the Super Bowl and being able to return the QB who nearly did it the prior year.

but i'm not saying the Packers shouldn't go with Rodgers. i believe it's time for them to go in a different direction. they should just move Favre, not try to waste their time to talk him into retiring. that brings me back to my previous point - its absurd they would try to mount an obstacle to Favre returning given the scarcity of proven NFL-calibre QB talent. how some teams can start different QBs in the same year, and others are basically hitting a future HOF QB with a stick trying to keep him from coming back. it's truly absurd.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:21 AM   #479
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
One more thing, the Packers are giving him the opportunity to be the backup QB (obviously that isn't the ideal situation, but it's not like they are mounting legal challenges to keep him retired or trying to prove he is injured and putting him on the PUP list or something) I don't see why he deserves anything more than that, especially when he gave them every single reason to go in a different direction. Sometimes in life you don't just get to say "oops sorry my bad, I changed my mind, now everyone fall back in line with what I want"

Actually I don't think they want him anywhere near Green Bay even in a backup role. It also appears that Favre does not want to make them fall in line, but more do something with him instead of forcing him not to play at all like the Pakers seem to want.

Last edited by Commo_Soldier : 07-30-2008 at 01:05 AM.
Commo_Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:00 AM   #480
Spree
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFanatic View Post
I am sick of it. Send him to NY, send him to TB, send him to Minnesota for all I fuckin' care - just get him off my TV and give me the REAL Green Bay Packers and some REAL freakin' FOOTBALL.

If Favre had won the Super Bowl last year, would you be more tolerant of all the attention being paid to him?
Old 07-30-2008, 01:04 AM   #481
Spree
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie View Post
Packers team president Mark Murphy is reportedly heading to Mississippi to try to talk Favre out of reporting to camp. Why Favre would do that (simply because Murphy asked him to?) is beyond me. Murphy would need to provide a more compelling rationale than "protect your legacy," and I just don't see what else he'd have to offer here.

Stay retired and we'll name the team after you. The Green Bay Bretts.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:47 AM   #482
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I don't know what anyone is doing in this situation anymore.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:57 AM   #483
rkmsuf
Head Coach

This story is like watching two monkeys trying to hump a basketball.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:09 AM   #484
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
This story is like watching two monkeys trying to hump a basketball.

I prefer watching them hump a football.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:10 AM   #485
Cork
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Sometimes in life you don't just get to say "oops sorry my bad, I changed my mind, now everyone fall back in line with what I want"

+100

-Cork
Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:13 AM   #486
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Brett should just go back to acting. He was screwed out of an Oscar for his role in There's Something About Mary.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:31 AM   #487
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie View Post

To me, this is exactly what they should have done in the first place. Brett has proven himself to be as much of a diva as T.O., Chad Johnson etc. in my opinion. He wants the team to say they need him. He wants the team to beg him to come back in the same way they did before.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:37 AM   #488
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
its absurd they would try to mount an obstacle to Favre returning given the scarcity of proven NFL-calibre QB talent. how some teams can start different QBs in the same year, and others are basically hitting a future HOF QB with a stick trying to keep him from coming back. it's truly absurd.

I don't think they are trying to prevent him from coming back, I think they are just trying to prevent him from coming to the Packers camp while they work something out with a team or wait for an opportunity to come up to trade him.

At this point, I think he shows up to Packers camp and he is made the backup and at some point is traded during camp. It is already a circus and the damage has been done. I'm sure the locker room is already divided so, not sure how more F'd up this could be.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:43 AM   #489
molson
General Manager

I'm thinking there's little/no interest in the trade market for him, at least in the AFC, or else they would have made a trade by now. And of course, other teams have to know the Packers are desperate to resolve this.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:53 AM   #490
Front Office Midget
High School Varsity

I'm sick of how villified both sides continue to be. Seeing people on the news protesting the shareholders meeting with "Favre not Thompson" shirts, and seeing people say Favre is nothing but an attention-hog... I really don't think either side is that much in the wrong.

There's no problem with Favre wanting to play, there's no problem with Thompson not wanting him in Green Bay.

Favre as a backup would be disastrous. In FOF terms it would be great, but that's absent of a crowd who will be chanting "We Want Favre" the first time Rodgers makes a mistake.
Front Office Midget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:04 PM   #491
molson
General Manager

Maybe they shouldn't be so scared to trade the guy in the conference or in the division (if there's a market for hiM). Don't most people think he'd suck somewhere else? Bellichick traded Bledsoe within the division for a 1st round pick - that meant two guaranteed wins a year for the Pats because Bellichick knew his weaknesses inside and out.

Maybe Favre on the Vikings is a little more scary than Bledsoe on the Bills. But I would have no hesitation in trading him ANYWHERE else.

Of course, if they drag this out longer, maybe Favre will just decide to retire again.

Last edited by molson : 07-30-2008 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:06 PM   #492
rkmsuf
Head Coach

What are the cap implications if they cut him?
Old 07-30-2008, 12:13 PM   #493
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
What are the cap implications if they cut him?

They're so far under the cap that it wouldn't impact them at all.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:14 PM   #494
spleen1015
Coordinator

This is what the Bulls should have done.

Sorry Michael. We have Tony Kukoc now.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:16 PM   #495
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post

That's not even close to the same.

And it's Toni Kukoc, not Tony.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:16 PM   #496
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post

I don't think that metaphor works...I can't quite put my finger on why......
Old 07-30-2008, 12:17 PM   #497
MikeVic
Head Coach

And Kukoc played SF. This is like saying:

"Sorry Michael, we have PETE MYERS now."
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:32 PM   #498
molson
General Manager

Sport text sims should create this kind of scenerio, like a "random event" in CIV IV.

Like you could get a popup that says:

"Your recently retired star QB wants to come back. Do you want to:"

A: Welcome him back as starter (Backup QB will experience severe drop in team loyalty, will have 25% chance of demanding a trade, and 25% chance of decreased future potential)
B: Welcome him back as backup (Backup QB will experience moderate drop in team loyalty, will have 10% of demanding a trade, and 15% chance of decreased future potential).
C: Negotiate Trade (Chance of signficantly decreased fan support, signficant chance that backup QB will experience decreased future potential if old QB outplays him on new team)
D: Release Player

You get the idea....
Old 07-30-2008, 12:43 PM   #499
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Office Midget View Post
I'm sick of how villified both sides continue to be. Seeing people on the news protesting the shareholders meeting with "Favre not Thompson" shirts, and seeing people say Favre is nothing but an attention-hog... I really don't think either side is that much in the wrong.

There's no problem with Favre wanting to play, there's no problem with Thompson not wanting him in Green Bay.

Favre as a backup would be disastrous. In FOF terms it would be great, but that's absent of a crowd who will be chanting "We Want Favre" the first time Rodgers makes a mistake.

I am really enjoying all of this. I hope it continues.

Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 03:25 PM   #500
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I am really enjoying all of this. I hope it continues.

I'm sick of it all as it's likely costing me $$$. Other than making fun of ESPN's coverage there's really nothing entertaining about it.

Last edited by Fighter of Foo : 07-30-2008 at 03:26 PM.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote