Bess needs to catch that.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 11:39 PM   #452
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Actually, I will say this. I am tagging my rival right now because of today, but the fact is, the reason this is so great for us is BECAUSE USC is so great. They have nothing to be ashamed of, and Carroll is an amazing coach.

That said, no, I'm not big on seeing arrogance or smack talk from USC fans right now. So take it for what it's worth.

This win is bigger than you would think here than it is nationally. This is a game that could vault UCLA to at least within range in the eyes of California recruits of USC, even if the gap is still very, very sizeable. We're still going to lose the best to them, but we now might beat out Cal and Notre Dame and Oklahoma and others for the SoCal talent, which is huge.

USC it's just another loss, really (though a big one). For UCLA, it could be a program changing event.

I've been out all night, but this post is exactly what I have been thinking since the game finished. Apart from a few notable exceptions (Brian Price this year, the Molines) UCLA is the clear second choice for most higher tier SoCal recruits and is usually only getting the guys SC isn't interested in. Even guys like Allen Bradford who are UCLA through and through are ending up at USC.

I think you will see a subtle change this year (aforementioned Brian Price was widely rumoured to be considering USC after UCLA's poor season - I doubt that is the case anymore) and next year I fully expect UCLA will do better for local recruits.

Nationally, it's huge. The city of LA is a massive draw for a number of OOS kids (Jarrett, Booty, Fred Davis) and UCLA just showed everyone that there is another program in the city.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 11:52 PM   #453
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW View Post
Bess needs to catch that.

WORD, TAZ WORD.

Hawaii needs to wake the hell up.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:55 PM   #454
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Good to see Nate is healthy enough to play.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:58 PM   #455
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:10 AM   #456
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Colt can run the ball too.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:27 AM   #457
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

These refs stink.

TD Hawaii. 21-21.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:29 AM   #458
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

thx taz for takin over most of the updates

good game. Defense needs to show up tonite...
Old 12-03-2006, 12:32 AM   #459
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

heh I was thinking, If Hawaii wins this game by like a touchdown, people are gonne be screaming that Hawaii is overrated. Thats sad but true.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:35 AM   #460
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

This game isn't nearly as much fun without the Hawaii announcers.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 01:19 AM   #461
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Run, Nate, Run.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:27 AM   #462
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

I thought one interesting was the predicted Vegas line on a neutral field - it would favor Michigan by 6 (According to ESPN). I think they'll end up picking Florida, but its worth noting.

Last edited by Crapshoot : 12-03-2006 at 01:27 AM.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 01:44 AM   #463
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I almost hate to bring this up, but ...

http://www.texasbowl.org/
NFL Network is the exclusive broadcaster of the Texas Bowl.

The Texas Bowl can only be seen on NFL Network. If you don't have NFL Network, you won't get the Texas Bowl. Call your local cable provider and ask for NFL Network now.

At least only seven people in America will see us meltdown against Kent State or Akron or Southern Michigan or whoever.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 01:46 AM   #464
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Why does Hawaii's field look like a garbage dump tonight? There's trash blowing all over the place.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:49 AM   #465
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

That Beaver muffed it.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:50 AM   #466
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
Why does Hawaii's field look like a garbage dump tonight? There's trash blowing all over the place.

The fans make these newspaper streamers and they throw them on the field when Hawaii scores.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:51 AM   #467
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Just be thankful they aren't throwing models of the sheraton hotel in hawaii
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 01:56 AM   #468
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Colt to RGM for 6.

[edit]and a horrible looking 2 point conversion play.

Fire Ron Lee.

Last edited by TazFTW : 12-03-2006 at 01:57 AM.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:03 AM   #469
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

The D is finally showing up and Bess almost goes all the way on that punt return.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:08 AM   #470
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

underthrown...

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:22 AM   #471
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
heh I was thinking, If Hawaii wins this game by like a touchdown, people are gonne be screaming that Hawaii is overrated. Thats sad but true.

I think Hawaii was very deserving of their Top 25 ranking. They'll probably drop out with the loss, but there's no question that they've got a good team, especially at home.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:30 AM   #472
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

That was a very entertaining game.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 05:28 AM   #473
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Ping: IMTG.

How do you like my new sig?

Old 12-03-2006, 05:36 AM   #474
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
How do you like my new sig?

I guess that means Oklahoma won't win the Big 12 next year.

Last edited by spleen1015 : 12-03-2006 at 05:37 AM.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 06:15 AM   #475
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I guess that means Oklahoma won't win the Big 12 next year.

Heh heh.

We'll see. Eleven seniors on an 85 man roster.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:39 AM   #476
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

Anyone else with me in thinking Urban Meyer is the worst play caller of all the major school coaches? Really painful watching Chris Leak try and run that offense. I think Leak will be a good pro, but he is so mismatched for that system. Florida should have won that game by 20-30 points. If they ran a west coast type offense they would have. If they get the game with OSU it could get ugly. Michigan, with a well balanced offense, played a virtually flawless, perfectly called game and still couldn't win it. How does a team with a classic drop back passer running the option with a wideout as his tailback propose to outscore Troy Smith and company?
Old 12-03-2006, 09:56 AM   #477
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Nic Harris INT vs Nebraska

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghrbVz2nd9A

Just amazing.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 10:46 AM   #478
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by vex View Post
Nic Harris INT vs Nebraska

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghrbVz2nd9A

Just amazing.

I'm liking YouTube more and more simply because all of these years, you had to search the sports sites to find the meager number of video clips or the few that the news sites would have include loads of commercials. YouTube just cuts to the chase, sort of speak.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 11:00 AM   #479
Buccaneer
Head Coach

How can Hawaii measure success? They could end up 11-2, 10-3 or even 7-6 and still would be going to the local Hawaii Bowl.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 11:55 AM   #480
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
I'd point more to some of the things we did offensively in 2005. Ryan Hart was great at throwing the screen pass. Teel, not so good. I don't know why Harris dissapeared from the offense completely. None of these recievers will make anyone forget about Tres Moses either.

Kenny Britt already looks like a stud WR, I'm pretty confident he could be 1st team BE next season if Teel can keep getting him the ball.

I don't know why I came on here to read this thread. I'm already in enough pain from last night's drinking. Nothing like 4 Rutgers fans standing around a bar, shaking their heads in disgust for 3 hours.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 12:16 PM   #481
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Anyone else with me in thinking Urban Meyer is the worst play caller of all the major school coaches? Really painful watching Chris Leak try and run that offense. I think Leak will be a good pro, but he is so mismatched for that system. Florida should have won that game by 20-30 points. If they ran a west coast type offense they would have. If they get the game with OSU it could get ugly. Michigan, with a well balanced offense, played a virtually flawless, perfectly called game and still couldn't win it. How does a team with a classic drop back passer running the option with a wideout as his tailback propose to outscore Troy Smith and company?

Of course, who thought UCLA would beat USC?

Last edited by SFL Cat : 12-03-2006 at 12:16 PM.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 02:01 PM   #482
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Kenny Britt already looks like a stud WR, I'm pretty confident he could be 1st team BE next season if Teel can keep getting him the ball.

I don't know why I came on here to read this thread. I'm already in enough pain from last night's drinking. Nothing like 4 Rutgers fans standing around a bar, shaking their heads in disgust for 3 hours.

Yeah, Britt is nice, but Townsend, Campbell and Underwood have hands of stone. Losing Taylor and Daniels before the season and then Tucker was awful.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 02:26 PM   #483
timmynausea
College Starter

According to the Houston Chronicle, the Gator Bowl is taking West Virginia over Texas. Texas is headed to the Alamo to play Iowa.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4375889.html

I found this part interesting: "The Gator Bowl’s decision to pick West Virginia was influenced by its commitment to financially underwrite Saturday’s Atlantic Coast Conference championship between Georgia Tech and Wake Forest."
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 02:26 PM   #484
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat View Post
Of course, who thought UCLA would beat USC?

Raises hand.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 02:46 PM   #485
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Pics of the last two teams OU has beaten,lol.

vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 03:18 PM   #486
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post

I found this part interesting: "The Gator Bowl’s decision to pick West Virginia was influenced by its commitment to financially underwrite Saturday’s Atlantic Coast Conference championship between Georgia Tech and Wake Forest."

What exactly does that mean? And what does it have to do with the selection?

I did hear that the Gator Bowl folks are frustrated that the Peach Bowl passed on the ACC's #2 (GT) and went ahead and took VT, sending the ACC Championship loser back to Jacksonville to play in the Gator Bowl for the second straight season.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 03:33 PM   #487
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
What exactly does that mean? And what does it have to do with the selection?

I did hear that the Gator Bowl folks are frustrated that the Peach Bowl passed on the ACC's #2 (GT) and went ahead and took VT, sending the ACC Championship loser back to Jacksonville to play in the Gator Bowl for the second straight season.

I wasn't 100% sure myself, but I think it means that they needed to bring in WVU to make sure they sell out the stadium, especially after losing money on the ACC championship game.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 04:28 PM   #488
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

I'm so depressed.