Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-05-2007, 12:28 PM   #451
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

according to HNIC, the Wings also have some bonus money they can move to next year, which would free up even more room if necessary.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:39 PM   #452
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

btw. I hate the cap. it's so freaking confusing on it's own, but then you get things like the LTI thing that makes it crazy. I read today that Buffalo is looking to add a player but IF Connelly comes back before the year is over, it would put the Sabres over the cap. Colorado lost Brisebois for the year recently, and there was all sorts of similar confusing ramifications - like an erly return, or how the LTI would change depending on when they filed, etc. It's fucking ridiculous to me.

and don't even get me started on why I don't think parity is a good thing...
Old 02-05-2007, 02:08 PM   #453
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
btw. I hate the cap. it's so freaking confusing on it's own, but then you get things like the LTI thing that makes it crazy. I read today that Buffalo is looking to add a player but IF Connelly comes back before the year is over, it would put the Sabres over the cap. Colorado lost Brisebois for the year recently, and there was all sorts of similar confusing ramifications - like an erly return, or how the LTI would change depending on when they filed, etc. It's fucking ridiculous to me.
It would be nice if the NHL would just explain how this stuff works. The NFL cap is at least as complicated, but hardcore fans understand it and even casual fans have a basic grasp of how it works. Nobody knows how the NHL cap works at all, because nobody tells us. I honestly think the reporters don't tell us because even they don't know.

The NHL should have an up-to-date Cap Room page on their web site that fans could check any time they want. But then again, if they cared about the fans they'd have a decent schedule and wouldn't allow this "upper/lower body" garbage, so never mind.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:11 PM   #454
Travis
Pro Rookie

Isn't the issue with the cap (ie: Connolly) that while a player is on IR, his salary doesn't count towards the cap, or some other injury designation? Maybe they could have a cap chart on nhl.com, but have another column listing what players (and their cap hits) are currently not included in that total?
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 04:34 PM   #455
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Isn't the issue with the cap (ie: Connolly) that while a player is on IR, his salary doesn't count towards the cap, or some other injury designation?

sort of. his salary DOES count, but they can replace it with a replacement player. but if he comes back early, that puts them over the cap. it's just a clusterfuck.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:55 PM   #456
Pyser
Pro Rookie

the devils have been sitting a now healthy matvichuk for a month because if they activated him from LTI theyd be over the cap.

even as a devils fan, i dont see how that isnt breaking a rule.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 05:11 PM   #457
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
the devils have been sitting a now healthy matvichuk for a month because if they activated him from LTI theyd be over the cap.

even as a devils fan, i dont see how that isnt breaking a rule.

Because Lou Lamoriello is allows to do whatever he wants.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 05:30 PM   #458
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

So it begins...

ESPN is reporting the Kings traded Sean Avery to the Rangers for Jason Ward and two "unsigned forwards."
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 02-05-2007, 06:12 PM   #459
Pyser
Pro Rookie

ha! avery in new york? i hope cam janssen kicks the ever living shit out of him, and avery costs the rangers the 8th playoff spot with some good old fashioned selfishness.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:44 PM   #460
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
ha! avery in new york? i hope cam janssen kicks the ever living shit out of him, and avery costs the rangers the 8th playoff spot with some good old fashioned selfishness.
Nice to see the Rangers fills the "self-important prick who can't shut up and gets his ass handed to him every time he tries to fight" void left by Matthew Barnaby.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:50 AM   #461
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:

heh. not so coincidentally, janssen was recalled from the minors for the rangers game tonight...course, he could still be a healthy scratch...but part 1 of my prediction is right
Old 02-06-2007, 10:48 AM   #462
Bad-example
College Starter

Sharks-Ducks on consecutive nights. I wonder which Sharks team will show up?
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 10:56 AM   #463
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I don't know much about Sean Avery, but you guys are making this sound like it's going to be a fun Devils-Rangers game tonight.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:21 PM   #464
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
Sharks-Ducks on consecutive nights. I wonder which Sharks team will show up?

Bad Sharks! Bad, bad Sharks!
Old 02-06-2007, 11:29 PM   #465
bhlloy
Coordinator

Bad defense. I think Sharks have to pick up at least a couple of solid, veteran defensemen to have a real Stanley Cup shot.

I have heard a lot of really good things about Matt Carle, but tonight he played like he didn't have a clue. I don't know if he and Vlasic are a regular pairing, but a pair of rookies is a recipie for disaster - the Ducks scored three on them tonight, at least 2 of them were poor defensive play.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 09:06 AM   #466
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Leafs have managed to win five games in a row and not gain any ground in the standings. Rigged.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:09 PM   #467
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Canes finally broke their recent slide with a 2-1 win last night in Montreal. Frankie Kaberle came off the injured list for the first time this year and provided the game winner. Still stuck in 8th and Toronto's only one point behind but has two games in hand. Islanders are four back but have three in hand. Then again, with the win, they now trail Montreal by just three points for fourth place but Montreal also has a game in hand. They continue to be down six to Atlanta for the division with both teams having played the same number of games. Nothing like being in a situation where you can be anywhere from third to out of the playoffs in a blink of an eye.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 12:19 PM   #468
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

There is an article on TSN.ca today talking about teams looking to add some more toughness. It referenced the Rangers' trade for Avery, the Devils re-calling Cam Janssen, and Stortini finding himself a spot on the Oilers' roster.

I've also noticed a a growing rumbling about the lack of physical play. There was a lot of talk about it on the national NBC broadcast a few weeks back. People must continue to beat this drum.

We don't need to go back to the 70's era of benches clearing brawls, but adding a little more spice and toughness to the sport would be a good thing. The US experiment has failed. Despite the NHL's efforts to broaden the appeal of the sport through marketing, expansion, new rules or what have you it has not caught on. It will not catch on. One of the reasons they wanted to cut back on the fighting was because they felt like people in America were turned off by it and they would attract more fans if the sport was less barbaric. A nice theory, but completely, 100% wrong. It's painfully obvious that your typical NHL fan enjoys the physical aspect of the game. I think the majoriy of current non-NHL fans would enjoy that aspect as well. Trying to cater to these mythical fans who would love the sport, but for the fighting, is stupid and has not worked. At all.

There will never be a repeal of the instigator misconduct rule during a Bettman Ruled NHL, but it should go. It will add to the rivalries the NHL is so desperately trying to build and allow these guys to apply their trade. Obviously, they will have to be able to skate under the new rules or they won't be allowed to play, but that's fine. I don't mind that.

I also saw Samsonov wants out of Montreal. He has really struggled. I know he played well at times in Edmonton and I thought he'd be a good fit in Detroit, but after watching him in the playoffs last year I quickly changed my mind. He seemed like a non-factor. Some great puck skills, but that was it. I was very underwhelmed.

Gainey really should have consulted me before pulling the trigger on that deal. The market for $3.5 million under-performing wingers has to be quite thin.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:25 PM   #469
Pyser
Pro Rookie

its not really the fighting i miss. i love a good fight, it can change a game and momentum, but what i miss is the flat out hitting. right now, the way to beat a faster, smaller team is just hammer them. every time they dump it in, every time they cycle, every time they venture in front of the net. just wear them down. but thats not really in the game anymore.

fighting would be a bonus, but ill just settle for checking right now.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:08 PM   #470
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I think you can keep the instigator rule and still bring back a reasonable level of fighting.

I'd do this:

- Keep the instigator, but drop the misconduct as well as the cumulative suspensions.

- Clarify how it should be called. If two players both want to go, there's no instigator even if one guy's gloves hit the ice first. If one guy starts it and the other fights back, the instigator gets an extra two. If one guy starts it and the other guy wants no part of it, the instigator gets five.

- Drop the automatic suspension for fights in the final five minutes (who's idea was that, anyways? "Hey guys, let's brainstorm ways to make sure nobody stays tuned during a blowout?")

- Remind referees that their job is to penalize what happens during the game, not to control what might happen in the future. If a game turns ugly, fine. Don't go looking for an excuse to throw guys out of the game, don't hand out misconducts to everyone who looks at another player, etc. Call the penalties in the rulebook.

Do all of that, and within a few years you should have fighting back at a realistic level.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:29 PM   #471
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
I think you can keep the instigator rule and still bring back a reasonable level of fighting.

I'd do this:

- Keep the instigator, but drop the misconduct as well as the cumulative suspensions.

- Clarify how it should be called. If two players both want to go, there's no instigator even if one guy's gloves hit the ice first. If one guy starts it and the other fights back, the instigator gets an extra two. If one guy starts it and the other guy wants no part of it, the instigator gets five.

- Drop the automatic suspension for fights in the final five minutes (who's idea was that, anyways? "Hey guys, let's brainstorm ways to make sure nobody stays tuned during a blowout?")

- Remind referees that their job is to penalize what happens during the game, not to control what might happen in the future. If a game turns ugly, fine. Don't go looking for an excuse to throw guys out of the game, don't hand out misconducts to everyone who looks at another player, etc. Call the penalties in the rulebook.

Do all of that, and within a few years you should have fighting back at a realistic level.

I agree completely. What I meant by the "instigator rule" was the misconduct and cumulative suspensions. I've no problem at all with the extra 2 minutes for instigating.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:36 PM   #472
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Avs won a huge game last night. With a slim chance to make the playoffs as it is, the Avs were getting schooled by Chris Gratton (!) and, despite having all kinds of chances they were in danger of losing to the Panthers. They were down 4-2, made it 4-3 in the 3rd but still couldn't get it past that assface Ed Belfour.

Finally, with Theodore pulled, Bryan Allen gets an interference penalty with under a minute to play, followed just 10 seconds later by a delay of game to Ville The Thrill Peltonen. Avs get a 6 on 3 PP, tie it with 37 seconds left, and score on the 4-on-3 25 seconds into OT. Minnesota, Calgary and Edmonton all lose, meaning the Avs go from essentially out of it to still hanging on in the span of 62 seconds.

Gratton was just ridiculous tonight - it has to be maddening to see him flash a game like this where he controls the offensive zone (being on a line with Olli Jokinen doesn't hurt), knowing he won't be able to sustain that over any sort of a stretch. But he fooling GMs: he's been traded for 3 times at the deadline (think Phoenix would like to take back the Briere for Gratton trade?), and might well be on the move again this year. If so, he raised the Panther's return a bit last night.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:39 PM   #473
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

btw, Samsonov cleared waivers today.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:07 PM   #474
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
btw, Samsonov cleared waivers today.

Well, apparently the market for $3.5 million a year (With one more year remaining) under-performing wingers is non-existant.

Shocking.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:18 AM   #475
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Drop instigator completely. Little pests like Avery, Cooke, and so on need to get pummeled whether they want it or not. Enforce game misconducts for third-man in situations very strictly. Once your gloves are off and fisticuffs are on, any player who interferes gets a game misconduct no matter what.

Last edited by Tekneek : 02-08-2007 at 05:19 AM.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 05:28 AM   #476
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Bad defense. I think Sharks have to pick up at least a couple of solid, veteran defensemen to have a real Stanley Cup shot.

I have heard a lot of really good things about Matt Carle, but tonight he played like he didn't have a clue. I don't know if he and Vlasic are a regular pairing, but a pair of rookies is a recipie for disaster - the Ducks scored three on them tonight, at least 2 of them were poor defensive play.

I think it has been pretty clear since the season started that the Sharks defense was their biggest potential weakness. They are young and inconsistent there and could definitely use some help. But they were much better last night, with only the one big lapse in the 3rd period that allowed a goal. A nice effort all around and a very entertaining game that was close the whole way.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:44 AM   #477
Pyser
Pro Rookie

very interesting article in the ny post about the devs looking to shore up their D in a trade, and how they've been saving money all year by dressing only the bare minumum skaters possible. i guess it makes sense the way the cap works, but i never considered it a (salary/82)*(games played) formula. anyway, according to the post article:

"They have been on a smart-money austerity kick lately, carrying only the basic 20-man lineup when the situation permits, saving some 15G against the cap per game, over time perhaps a total of 200G this season. Good, but still not enough."

other tidbits that are new to me (this is all regarding richard matvichuk, who is healed, but still on LTI):

"Lamoriello doesn't have to remove Matvichuk from the Long-Term Injury exemption until he finds cap space. The league will not determine, whether the summertime back surgery has been rehabilitated and will not force Lamoriello to make space for Matvichuk. Once LTI is granted, the team decides when it's over."

"Once the playoffs start the cap no longer applies, so the Devils can suit him up, although Matvichuk must be activated before the season's end, a minimum of one game or a couple rust-removers at some 16.6G per against the cap."

of course it doesnt make sense chemistry-wise suddenly have a big ticket player jump in come playoff time without really playing with the team first, but i didnt know the playoffs are uncapped.

pretty interesting stuff all around.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:38 PM   #478
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Why is Matvichuk ok with all of this? If I'm an NHL player who is healthy and ready to go, and my team is leaving me to rot on the LTI because they're walking a tightrope with the cap, I think I'd be calling every news agency in North America in an attempt to get my ass back on the ice.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 01:04 PM   #479
Pyser
Pro Rookie

well first off, with lou, if he did that, hed never play just out spite. secondly, i believe he likes nj, based on this article today, where gomez says, "Everyone here is on the same page," Gomez said. "That reminds me of the two Cup teams I played on. Guys want everyone to succee d.(Richard) Matvichuk hasn't played a game, but he's a big part of this team. Erik Rasmussen is im portant in the locker room."

thirdly, he still gets paid, i assume, and the extra time off may extend his career. it was fairly major back surgery, i think.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:31 PM   #480
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
well first off, with lou, if he did that, hed never play just out spite. secondly, i believe he likes nj, based on this article today, where gomez says, "Everyone here is on the same page," Gomez said. "That reminds me of the two Cup teams I played on. Guys want everyone to succee d.(Richard) Matvichuk hasn't played a game, but he's a big part of this team. Erik Rasmussen is im portant in the locker room."

thirdly, he still gets paid, i assume, and the extra time off may extend his career. it was fairly major back surgery, i think.

I can see if, due to the severity of the injury, he is still unsure about returning. But if it was me, and I was healthy and wanted to play, I'd be going ballistic. It's not about getting paid, it's about the game. Who wants to watch from the pressbox? If you're up there because you aren't good enough to crack the lineup that's one thing, but if you're a top 4 d-man and you know you're sitting because the GM is trying to bend some rules... I don't know, maybe I'm selfish, but that's bullshit and I'd be calling him on it.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 02-08-2007, 02:49 PM   #481
Pyser
Pro Rookie

call out lou and id imagine he'd spend the rest of that contract playing in Lowell, Mass. thats all im saying. if hes upset, he cant say shit.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:07 PM   #482
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
call out lou and id imagine he'd spend the rest of that contract playing in Lowell, Mass. thats all im saying. if hes upset, he cant say shit.

I disagree, he'd have the players union behind him, along with a lot of public sentiment. This isn't some rookie or a guy that has spent most of his career in the minors either, we're talking about a guy with almost 800 games in the NHL and was a key member of a Stanley Cup winning team. He actually seems like a prime candidate for fighting something like this.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:17 AM   #483
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Someone flies... Someone dies...?

That is stupid.

It was cute the first time around with the whole "save the cheerleader, save the world", but they should stop while they're ahead.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:14 AM   #484
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Wrong thread dude.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:20 AM   #485
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Someone flies... Someone dies...?

That is stupid.

It was cute the first time around with the whole "save the cheerleader, save the world", but they should stop while they're ahead.

lol...
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 09:21 AM   #486
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Wrong thread dude.

Oops. I've been working too hard.

The fact remains.

I wasn't a fan of the "Coolest Game On Earth" either.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:22 AM   #487
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I should ask the mods to merge the thread to avoid this from happening again.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:13 AM   #488
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I disagree, he'd have the players union behind him, along with a lot of public sentiment. This isn't some rookie or a guy that has spent most of his career in the minors either, we're talking about a guy with almost 800 games in the NHL and was a key member of a Stanley Cup winning team. He actually seems like a prime candidate for fighting something like this.
Lou could kick the union's ass.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:53 AM   #489
Pyser
Pro Rookie

10 shutouts already this season from brodeur.

his career high is 11.

this devils team is downright scary when they play their brand of D.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:40 PM   #490
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
10 shutouts already this season from brodeur.

his career high is 11.

this devils team is downright scary when they play their brand of D.

And boring, IMO. Only the Flyers have scored fewer goals than the Devils in the Eastern Conference. The only other teams they are outscoring are powerhouses such as Chicago, St. Louis, and Columbus. Not taking anything away from the accomplishment, which is impressive, but it's not my idea of good hockey.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 01:20 PM   #491
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I hate the Devils. Seriously, they are just plain bad for hockey.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:41 PM   #492
Pyser
Pro Rookie

devils fans have heard this for years.

we'll take our 3 cups, thank you.

(seriously, i hear what you are saying, and i agree it can be boring...but somehow when its a power running game and sound defense in football, its just "good job guys". the devils arent in the business of entertaining. they are in the business of winning.)
Old 02-09-2007, 01:45 PM   #493
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

Funny, I always thought sporting events were categorized as "Entertainment".
Jonathan Ezarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 01:49 PM   #494
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ezarik View Post

Sports Entertainment? I think that only applies to professional wrestling.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:51 PM   #495
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

The fact that it works is why it sucks. It causes others to copy it and has an overall negative impact on the game.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:51 PM   #496
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ezarik View Post

yeah, i remember watching all those game 7's in the finals, where the winning team was lifting the cup, and the losing team sat there crying, saying "it doesnt matter that we didnt win. i just hope we entertained people."
Old 02-09-2007, 01:53 PM   #497
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
yeah, i remember watching all those game 7's in the finals, where the winning team was lifting the cup, and the losing team sat there crying, saying "it doesnt matter that we didnt win. i just hope we entertained people."

Why do you watch sports?
Jonathan Ezarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 01:53 PM   #498
Pyser
Pro Rookie

before the devils were accused of hooking and grabbing, and using brodeur as a 3rd defenseman. what are they doing wrong now? playing solid defense?
Old 02-09-2007, 01:55 PM   #499
DeToxRox
Head Coach

As a Wings fan I pray to God we don't see a Devils/Wings Final.

I'd rather see Sabres/Preds. It was my pre-season prediction, I hope it works out.

And before it's called blasphemous, I'm a fan of hockey first, and a Wings fan second.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 02:00 PM   #500
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i love the way the sabres and preds play. but i look at it as an offensive team vs a defensive team. colts vs bears, if you will.

hey, i love the sport of hockey as much as anyone else here. but i really like the way the devils play. i appreciate the matching lines, the opportunistic offense, the discipline, and consistency of the devils team. im glad there are other, purely offensive teams out there. i dont see why the entire league needs to play the same style of hockey.