Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-01-2004, 07:10 AM   #451
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

well if it makes you all feel any better I finally found the stupid settings for the AI evaluation improvement. I am banning myself from the OOTP board.
Old 07-01-2004, 07:14 AM   #452
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
man, I don't think any post after Subby tearing into Noop was really worth reading here. If you got that far, the rest is just redundant.

Yeah, but what else are you going to do until football starts? Watch MLS? WNBA?
Old 07-01-2004, 08:21 AM   #453
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
I don't know that you could say that I'min LL's camp. I think that SD probably should have thanks the specific individuals whose packs he used, but I also think that LL went entirely the wrong way about getting that corrected. You can put me in the neutral camp...

Ditto, but the other way. You can't say I'm in SD's camp. Many of us have tried very hard to clearly state they were both wrong. SkyDog should have given credit in the first place, but LL is being a hypocrite by complaining about not being given credit when he did not give credit to his sources originally. I think that puts me in the neutral camp as well.

This will be great if we can twist this into a debate about who was in whose camp
Old 07-01-2004, 08:23 AM   #454
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Let's not and say we didn't ..

honestly, the two principal players in this date, LL and SD, have settled it. So why can't we do the same?
Old 07-01-2004, 08:40 AM   #455
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

I just wish someone would light a fire under Axxon's ass. The guy's not passionate enough. Where's the fire in his belly?

Old 07-01-2004, 09:30 AM   #456
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
Noop, I usually let people slide with rants, particularly when they feel that they've been attacked. However, the "die slow" just puts it over the top for me. I think you need three days in the box to cool off.

"die slow" is miami slang for "have a coke and a smile mother fucker."

Noop is a big Cosby fan.

Last edited by Fritz : 07-01-2004 at 09:40 AM.
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 10:05 AM   #457
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop
You know what I don't care. You all swear your so perfect that you have never made a mistake before. Fuck Subby fuck him cause personally I don't give a fuck about him or his stupid sim league. I offer an opinion just like anyone else but yet I get ripped often times unfairly because I am up against the crowd. Most pissing matches I have got in with most of you I have made good points but since I have a label it gets lost. I never take the low when some of you proceed to personal attacks against me. But now I don't care.... fuck you, your mama, your daddy and whoever the hell you claim as a friend. Because now I refuse to take the high road I will drop to all your levels and say fuck you. Most if not all of you are older then I am but yet... you all act like little bitches and to those bitches fuck you. This is not to everyone but if you feel this is about you then guess what fuck you die slow.
FWIW, I completely agree with everything you said here...
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 10:27 AM   #458
DukeRulesMAB
College Prospect

Without trying to reignite the flames of this thread, I would like to point out that post 441 and the various posts it refers to contain some pretty seriously offensive material. Any long time poster on this board should know better than to post something like that.

FOFL: I may be the commish, but it's still pretty good.
DukeRulesMAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 10:29 AM   #459
cuervo72
Head Coach

Did something happen here? Did I miss anything? Where's the cheese?
Old 07-01-2004, 10:34 AM   #460
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt
I find it very strange that there is etiquette and manners for giving credit to someone who has used and abused other people's copyrighted work. I'm not taking sides here, but let's be honest - modding player pictures (that are someone else's work) is already borderline illegal (not making a profit from it helps). Saying SD was "bad" for not thanking someone doing borderline illegal stuff is just strange to me.

Of course, I do understand that we in this community like modders and their work, so SD should probably thank him. However, talking about "morality" and books/music hypotheticals, just doesn't make sense. This is a shady practice, but one we all like and enjoy. SD made a mistake - who here hasn't made one? He offered to correct that mistake - that seems pretty fair to me.

Thank you. I cannot see how a person taking other's copyrighted material (pictures from many uncredited sources) can be so pissy about not getting credit from someone else. "They spent hours cropping the pics" seems to suggest this pictures are suddenly theirs. They are not. They belong to the photgrapher/website that they were taken from. If you don't have to credit except for in a broad way, why does Skydog have to credit more than the genric way he did?
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 10:35 AM   #461
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop
fuck you, your mama, your daddy and whoever the hell you claim as a friend

enemies +1
Old 07-01-2004, 10:41 AM   #462
Samdari
Roster Filler

So, does anyone feel the bannings are the FOFC equivalent of the medieval entertainments known as public hangings?
Old 07-01-2004, 11:06 AM   #463
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281
*whistles*

I have that picture in my wallet.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:40 AM   #464
LivnLegend
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
Thank you. I cannot see how a person taking other's copyrighted material (pictures from many uncredited sources) can be so pissy about not getting credit from someone else. "They spent hours cropping the pics" seems to suggest this pictures are suddenly theirs. They are not. They belong to the photgrapher/website that they were taken from. If you don't have to credit except for in a broad way, why does Skydog have to credit more than the genric way he did?

Holy Geezus! This is still going on??
A couple of you guys are blowing this way out of proportion. All I said was that in the context of the OOTP gaming community I felt it was wrong for someone to take the work someone else did and re-release it under their own name without a courtesy credit to the guy who did the work. SkyDog was packaging these files because he liked them and wanted others to have them. You make it sound like we were trafficking narcotics with all this legal BS and copyright talk. Another guy compared it to stealing cars. It was a simple courtesy issue. Do yourself a favor and just understand this was never the global issue you want it to be.
LivnLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 12:11 PM   #465
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeRulesMAB
Without trying to reignite the flames of this thread, I would like to point out that post 441 and the various posts it refers to contain some pretty seriously offensive material. Any long time poster on this board should know better than to post something like that.

I agree with you.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:23 PM   #466
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivnLegend
A couple of you guys are blowing this way out of proportion. All I said was that in the context of the OOTP gaming community I felt it was wrong for someone to take the work someone else did and re-release it under their own name without a courtesy credit to the guy who did the work. SkyDog was packaging these files because he liked them and wanted others to have them. You make it sound like we were trafficking narcotics with all this legal BS and copyright talk. Another guy compared it to stealing cars. It was a simple courtesy issue. Do yourself a favor and just understand this was never the global issue you want it to be.
I didn't say it was like stealing cars or selling drugs, but what you did was at the least comparable to what Skydog did. In fact, since what you used was someones livelyhood, it may be a tad worse.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 07-01-2004 at 12:23 PM.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:30 PM   #467
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

::thunk::squish::thud::

[sound of a GrantLawg doused in gas being tossed on the dying embers]
Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 12:33 PM   #468
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel
::thunk::squish::thud::

[sound of a GrantLawg doused in gas being tossed on the dying embers]

Just keeping the fire burning. Actually, when I posted I hadn't read that Axxon had already completed this arguement.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:44 PM   #469
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I'm still utterly amazed by how many people have missed the point on this.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:45 PM   #470
GrantDawg

BTW, I'm not saying anyone making these packs should be arrested or anything. I do the same thing when I cut and paste stories here (though I usually show a link to the webpage as credit, I still do so without permission). I just agree with several others that it is a bit hypocritical to be jumping all over Skydog while you are doing the exact same thing. That is all.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:48 PM   #471
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger

There's no point any longer. It's pretty much entertaining keyboard masturbation at this point.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 01:50 PM   #472
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:

There is a difference between "missing the point" and "not agreeing with the point."
Old 07-01-2004, 02:24 PM   #473
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Then why when he offered to put your name in the credit file you declined? Id it was REALLY about that, wouldn't you just agree to that so the file can back to the community where it belongs?
Old 07-01-2004, 02:26 PM   #474
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

I'd just like to point out that this thread has over 5000 views.

Carry on.
Old 07-01-2004, 02:47 PM   #475
Bonegavel

My advice for "attaboy/credit" conscious modders (meaning: you CANNOT sell your work and it is for the general public): only work on projects where you can copyright and/or own your own creations. Work on something under the GPL or better yet, make your own Baseball Sim where you can put your name in every line of code.

for(x=0;x<5;x++){ // LOOK AT ME
foo++; // I wrote this you know
} // took me a month
// thank god Bjarne Stroustrup didn't copyright c++ code

We all understand the time it takes for this type of "thankless" work to be completed. Most likely, you did it for your own enjoyment and then figured you could let others enjoy it. So you release it. Somebody else puts your "gratis" work in a compilation along with other people's "gratis" work and now more people will get to enjoy it. The onle problem is that the compiler didn't put your forum Handle in a readme. Other's are still enjoying your work, but they don't know who resized all those images. "That's it, screw you guys, i'm going home."

LivnLegend from Glendale CA worked on a face pack

there, i might even put it in my sig.

Last edited by Bonegavel : 07-01-2004 at 02:48 PM.
Old 07-01-2004, 02:57 PM   #476
Cecil Fielder
Mascot

everyone who posted in this thread is a cuntwad, except for me.

Cecil Fielder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 02:58 PM   #477
Bonegavel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Fielder
everyone who posted in this thread is a cuntwad, except for me.

well said.
Old 07-01-2004, 02:58 PM   #478
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

no.. you're an ignorant fucktard
Old 07-01-2004, 03:03 PM   #479
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord
There's no point any longer. It's pretty much entertaining keyboard masturbation at this point.

And yet you continue to view it?

You are entertained by keyboard masturbation?
Old 07-01-2004, 03:07 PM   #480
korme
Go Reds

you guys are all arguing against LL with blinders on.

and andy samford is the gayest man alive.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 03:07 PM   #481
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel

Nice use of C++. There is no sense in doing anything major when a simple loop will suffice. Good job Bonegavel.
Old 07-01-2004, 03:11 PM   #482
Bonegavel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281
you guys are all arguing against LL with blinders on.

shorty, go make a flame-thrower or something.
Old 07-01-2004, 03:22 PM   #483
sabotai
General Manager

You know what really would have solved this from the beginning? If LL had put in the readme file to credit him for the pictures if someone used them or something stating not to redistribute them at all.

I've seen MOD communities that freely exchanged and used files with credit at all. All they cared about was enhancing the game and if someone put their stuff to good use, all the better. The benefited as well.

I've also seen MOD communities that not only demanded credit, but charge money for their work (which always struck me as kind of odd...charging for 3rd party utilities and mods).

I see this as a simple misunderstanding that did not need to escalate so far. Both sides, I see, are equally wrong in that. Let this be a lesson, if you want credit, say so. If LL had included that in his readme, I doubt anyone would be on SD's side (or on the nuetral side). I'm not sure if he said so or not in his readme (if he did, I'd imagine someone would have brought it up) since I can't find his face pack.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 04:06 PM   #484
LivnLegend
n00b

Thanks sabotai. Good advice, man. Too bad it took 500 posts and a bunch of mud flinging but your post was darn sensible!

The photo pack was the first mod I did for any game. I spent over 100 hours on it, usually after the kids had gone to bed and the wife was off watching Home & Garden Channel or TLC. I made it for myself first and after completing much of, decided to give it to others to use as well. It was well received in the OOTP community despite me giving it very little fanfare, mainly because it was the only file of its kind (anonymous looking players of all ages with all logos removed).

I never thought about the possibility of someone using it and claiming it as their own or someone, as SkyDog did, combining it with other people's efforts and re-releasing it. It's something that never entered my mind so I did not prepare for it (as you suggested with the readme file instructions) and I admittedly wasn't really in the right frame of mind or prepared to deal with it once it happened.

Anyway, you guys are certainly free to keep debating the issue but I can't imagine anthing will be added that will top sabotai's summary.

A few people in this thread thanked me for the work. You're welcome, I'm glad you enjoyed using it.

Last edited by LivnLegend : 07-01-2004 at 04:06 PM.
LivnLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 04:11 PM   #485
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

And reasonableness and goodwill covered the land...

(nah.. this is FOFC after all... but I think this matter can be stamped well and truly closed now )
Old 07-01-2004, 04:13 PM   #486
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

This thread alone is now turning Gamespy a profit.

Last edited by Chubby : 07-01-2004 at 04:13 PM.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 04:27 PM   #487
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby
This thread alone is now turning Gamespy a profit.
Old 07-01-2004, 04:29 PM   #488
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
people. I have exclusive rights to alter images of Skydog. Please read your membership agreements again.
Old 07-01-2004, 04:37 PM   #489
korme
Go Reds

:ashamed:
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 05:32 PM   #490
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack
There is a difference between "missing the point" and "not agreeing with the point."

I know.
Old 07-01-2004, 07:39 PM   #491
Bonegavel

All this aside, modders are good folk that do a lot of work for no pay and I thank all of them for making the games we like, better.
Old 07-01-2004, 08:15 PM   #492
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Thanks sabotai. Good advice, man. Too bad it took 500 posts and a bunch of mud flinging but your post was darn sensible!

The photo pack was the first mod I did for any game. I spent over 100 hours on it, usually after the kids had gone to bed and the wife was off watching Home & Garden Channel or TLC. I made it for myself first and after completing much of, decided to give it to others to use as well. It was well received in the OOTP community despite me giving it very little fanfare, mainly because it was the only file of its kind (anonymous looking players of all ages with all logos removed).

I never thought about the possibility of someone using it and claiming it as their own or someone, as SkyDog did, combining it with other people's efforts and re-releasing it. It's something that never entered my mind so I did not prepare for it (as you suggested with the readme file instructions) and I admittedly wasn't really in the right frame of mind or prepared to deal with it once it happened.

Anyway, you guys are certainly free to keep debating the issue but I can't imagine anthing will be added that will top sabotai's summary.

A few people in this thread thanked me for the work. You're welcome, I'm glad you enjoyed using it.

Well said. I don't really see where any more debate is needed; this just about wraps it up.

Even though I didn't ever use the face pack, thanks for the hard work and effort. It's always good when someone does something for the community.
Old 07-16-2004, 10:11 AM   #493
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

How in THE HELL did I miss this thread, not to mention the entire issue?!?!?!?!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 10:15 AM   #494
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
How in THE HELL did I miss this thread, not to mention the entire issue?!?!?!?!

better yet...WHY in the hell did you have to bump the damn thing!
Old 07-16-2004, 11:03 AM   #495
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
better yet...WHY in the hell did you have to bump the damn thing!

glad to see you've given proper credit for the bumping.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:55 AM   #496
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

well played