Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-02-2008, 07:21 PM   #451
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
there's a quote going around from Fletcher saying that Joel Quenneville told him that he always used Finger against the top forwards (Thornton, Iginla, the Sedins).

I'm not sure who's blowing smoke here, but that's not at all true.

turns out, I misread the quote. it was Ron Wilson, coach of the Sharks, who said that Finger was out there all the time against Thornton. And by all the time, he seemed to mean "about 20% of the time and a lot of that was Thornton coming on when Finger was already on the ice".

I forget, Sean, where is the Ron Wilson Overactive Imagination Tour headed this fall?
Old 07-02-2008, 07:27 PM   #452
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

here I am wasting my time entertaining myself writing about the Fletcher and Wilson stuff, and someone else has already done it better.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:35 PM   #453
Galaxy
Coordinator

Hopefully you guys can clear something up for me. Is the salary cap figures for each player determine by the average salary (per year) of a contract, or is each year's salary counted individually?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:41 PM   #454
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Hopefully you guys can clear something up for me. Is the salary cap figures for each player determine by the average salary (per year) of a contract, or is each year's salary counted individually?

Average salary per year.

That is the advantage of front loading a deal-- appealing to the player to get the cash up front, but the team will have the same cap hit throughout.

A few deals structured this way. I believe Danny Briere received $10M this past season in Philly, although his cap hit is lik $6.8M or so.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:42 PM   #455
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Dola

Another one bites the dust

Kristian Huselius to Columbus, 4 years / $19M
Old 07-02-2008, 10:08 PM   #456
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I heard an interview with Ken Holland on the ride home today.

Some interesting info. Holland had spoke with the Hossa camp yesterday about a possible deal. Then the Pittsburgh and Edmonton offers came in and Holland figured he was out since the Wings couldn't match that much money over that much time.

Apparently Winter, Hossa's agent, along with Hossa called Holland around 8:00 this morning and said they were interested in a deal. Hossa wanted to know about ice time and how he'd fit in with the team, so Holland had him call Babcock.

Hossa gets off the phone with Babcock and calls Winter and Holland and said the conversation went great. They started talking money again and Holland told Hossa that when Lidstrom signed his new deal last year (at $7.5M a year), Holland had promised him that he'd be the highest paid Wing.

Holland offered to call Lidstrom and get his "ok" about paying Hossa more. Hossa said "Don't bother. If you pay me $7.45 for one year, I'm a Wing."

And it was done.

Great story. I still hate your franchise with a passion.

Teemu, time to announce you're coming back.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:11 PM   #457
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Great story. I still hate your franchise with a passion.

Teemu, time to announce you're coming back.

Chief,

|
|
|
|
\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I swear, it goes up tomorrow. I won't do anything else until I get it up.

Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:41 PM   #458
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Average salary per year.

That is the advantage of front loading a deal-- appealing to the player to get the cash up front, but the team will have the same cap hit throughout.

A few deals structured this way. I believe Danny Briere received $10M this past season in Philly, although his cap hit is lik $6.8M or so.

I think the other benefit is that you can then offload the player easier in the later years if he isn't playing up to the cap hit. Some cheap team like Atlanta will glady take a 6.8M cap while only paying 4M in actual cash.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:53 PM   #459
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Chief,

|
|
|
|
\/

Dude! Hockey!

I am an empassioned fan.

Actually already working on it. I am going to post it all at once, so that's why you don't see it yet.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 06:01 AM   #460
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
here I am wasting my time entertaining myself writing about the Fletcher and Wilson stuff, and someone else has already done it better.

Wow. That was very thorough and incredidly impressive.

I am entirely convinced now that Toronto actually signed the wrong guy.

I remember seeing an interview with Cliff Fletcher at the draft this year and he did seem kinda, well, old...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 06:46 AM   #461
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Honestly, who could be worse then Toronto next year? It is a short list. Atlanta is probably their main competition I would assume. Not to be a shot ML but that team looks brutal.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 07:07 AM   #462
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Post Gazette reporting-

- Fleury deal nearly done: 6 years $33M ($5.5M per). Seems a little high to me

- Marcus Naslund getting long look with Hossa signing with the Wings

- Shero has said he'd consider multiple wingers now that Hossa is off the market. Originally it was assumed if they got Hossa, the other top 6 spots would be filled internally.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:21 AM   #463
Simms
FOBL Commish

Quote:
Wow. That was very thorough and incredidly impressive.

I am entirely convinced now that Toronto actually signed the wrong guy.

I remember seeing an interview with Cliff Fletcher at the draft this year and he did seem kinda, well, old...

Slightly different (and much less fatalistic) take here: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=16047

Not sure yet exactly which side of the coin I fall on, but it's not like there's anything left to do except wait and see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Honestly, who could be worse then Toronto next year? It is a short list. Atlanta is probably their main competition I would assume. Not to be a shot ML but that team looks brutal.

Good. The more brutal the better. (And not to speak for ML, but I suspect he largely agrees.)
Old 07-03-2008, 08:27 AM   #464
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Post Gazette reporting-

- Fleury deal nearly done: 6 years $33M ($5.5M per). Seems a little high to me

You called me crazy a few months ago when i said MAF would go for $5 mil or more. His play in the playoffs got him that pay raise. Plus look at what Huet got...MAF is better than him. It's just playing the market. Just like Randy Jones getting $2.75 mil. Is he worth it? No, but the market is dictating that he is, so teams have to pony up.

I expect Staal to ask for around 4 or 5 mil too when his contract is up after this year. The Pens will have something like $28 million locked up in 4 players. All good players though.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:57 AM   #465
MikeVic
Head Coach

Haha, I like that link about the Leafs signing the wrong guy. Makes a pretty convincing argument.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:17 AM   #466
Logan
Head Coach

Word is Orpik took passed on a larger deal with the Rangers to re-up with Pitt.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:19 AM   #467
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Dola

Another one bites the dust

Kristian Huselius to Columbus, 4 years / $19M

That's a lot of money for a guy who was benched at times last year.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 07-03-2008, 09:54 AM   #468
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Quote:
That's a lot of money for a guy who was benched at times last year.

If he can do this for us:

then I'm okay with it. We had to replace Zherdev, so this move is fine with me. I think the Jackets, with the additions of Torres, Commodore, Tyutin, ect.... are becoming much tougher to play against.
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:36 AM   #469
bbor
Pro Starter

I'm surprised the leafs ONLY paid 14 mil for Finger.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:58 AM   #470
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerONU22 View Post
I think the Jackets, with the additions of Torres, Commodore, Tyutin, ect.... are becoming much tougher to play against.

Don't forget Umberger as well. I agree, the Blue Jackets are trying to acquire an identity of being a mean, tough physical team that's hard to play against. I think that's a start, especially since Columbus really has been a team without an identity for a long, long time.

If they really do play that way, it should also go over pretty well with the savages out there in the cesspool that is Columbus.

While I am not sure about Torres as a player, he is an incredible hitter. He's so thick and solid on his skates. He hurts people when he hits them or they hit him. That's certainly not the type of guy I'd like to see the Wings having to face 8 times a year.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:07 AM   #471
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
You called me crazy a few months ago when i said MAF would go for $5 mil or more. His play in the playoffs got him that pay raise. Plus look at what Huet got...MAF is better than him. It's just playing the market. Just like Randy Jones getting $2.75 mil. Is he worth it? No, but the market is dictating that he is, so teams have to pony up.

I expect Staal to ask for around 4 or 5 mil too when his contract is up after this year. The Pens will have something like $28 million locked up in 4 players. All good players though.

Agree Fleury is the better player, but he was also restricted. I expected to see Huet (and the other UFAs) overpaid. But Fleury basically had a very good 2 month stretch. I expected similar to what Cam Ward got after his same stretch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Word is Orpik took passed on a larger deal with the Rangers to re-up with Pitt.

He said on one of the local shows last night, he got some offers much larger than the Pens offer. But also alluded to being "where this team was 4 years ago", meaning, the basement. So I wonder who else, other than NYR, were throwing money around.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:08 AM   #472
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
If they really do play that way, it should also go over pretty well with the savages out there in the cesspool that is Columbus.

You, sir, are my hero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 11:59 AM   #473
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Don't forget Umberger as well.

I am going to really miss RJ

Saying that...

TEAMS BSAK LIKES FROM BEST TO LEAST
1 Flyers
2 Blue Jackets
3 Wings
4-27 Who cares
28 Rangers
29 Devils
30 Pens

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 07-03-2008 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:02 PM   #474
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

The Toronto Maple Leafs continue to fill out their roster for the 2008-09 season.

Toronto announced Thursday that the club has acquired forward Mikhail Grabovski from the Montreal Canadiens in exchange for the rights to Greg Pateryn and a second-round draft pick in the 2010 draft.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=242375&l...headlines_main
Old 07-03-2008, 12:23 PM   #475
MikeVic
Head Coach

Hmm. I thought the Leafs were building for the future? Haven't they traded away a couple of 2nds already?
Old 07-03-2008, 12:25 PM   #476
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:

Saying that...

1 Flyers
2 Blue Jackets
3 Wings

4-27 Who cares
28 Rangers
29 Devils
30 Pens

WTF??? How did Columbus move ahead of the Wings? You, sir, speak blasphemy.....

Quote:
Old 07-03-2008, 12:40 PM   #477
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Columbus has RJ. One of my favorite players in the league...plus he grew up 5 minutes from my house.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:55 PM   #478
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

The Penguins have signed Miroslav Satan and Ruslan Fedotenko.

Both have signed 1 year deals. Satan will make 3.5 million per season.

The Penguins have officially signed Marc Andre Fleury to a 7yr - 35 million deal

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 07-03-2008 at 01:05 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:13 PM   #479
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Columbus has RJ. One of my favorite players in the league...plus he grew up 5 minutes from my house.

Too bad he didn't go to the Wings then .

Quote:
Old 07-03-2008, 02:00 PM   #480
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

the Avs reportedly have signed Daniel Tjarnqvist. because, well, because they could.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:04 PM   #481
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Saying that...

1 Flyers
2 Blue Jackets
3 Wings
4-27 Who cares
28 Rangers
29 Devils
30 Pens

Deal.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:04 PM   #482
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
the Avs reportedly have signed Daniel Tjarnqvist. because, well, because they could.

You can never have enough Swedes. That's reason enough.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:11 PM   #483
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Hmm. I thought the Leafs were building for the future? Haven't they traded away a couple of 2nds already?

Trading a 2010 2nd round pick for a 24 year old with skill seems to suggest it is a building block for the future.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 02:12 PM   #484
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I just saw on TSN that the Dallas Stars signed former Maple Leafs 1st round pick Landon Wilson to a two-way contract.

The only interesting thing about that (to me) is that in my EHM career, I signed Landon Wilson (who was called Mike Gasparini (a much better name)) from the Swiss league to play for the Wings. He was a great 3rd line checker type. He scored about 10 goals, fought, killed penalties. Quite an asset to the team, Mike Gasparini/Landon Wilson was.

That's all I got on that.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:35 PM   #485
Travis
Pro Rookie

Supposedly there is interest on both the part of Laraque and the Oilers for him to return to Edmonton. Given what was said when he left, I'd love know what's been said to him (if of course the rumor is true) to make Laraque consider playing under MacT again.

Dan Boyle has apparently been asked to waive his NTC, but no further details were given (taken from Spector's site).

And if it's true that the Oilers are on the short list for suitors for Jagr right now, makes me happy to see that Lowe is at least knocking on the door even if it's highly unlikely that he could get him to come here. Adding an offensive player like that for 1 or 2 years would be (imho) perfect given the other pieces the Oilers have in place right now (and where they'll be in their development in a year or two).
Old 07-03-2008, 02:46 PM   #486
Travis
Pro Rookie

Dola, or Laraque will sign in Montreal for 3 years instead.

Ah well, figured it was too good to be true. Guess we're in for at least another year of Stortini aka Huggybear.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:27 PM   #487
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Now I know why Maple Leafs hates Mats so much...When Mats was acquired, Toronto traded Wendel Clark as part of the deal to Quebec. Makes sense now.
I am going to waterboard you.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:39 PM   #488
Logan
Head Coach

Naslund to the Rangers, 1 year for $4.5 mil.

Also signed D Kalinin.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:49 PM   #489
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
Trading a 2010 2nd round pick for a 24 year old with skill seems to suggest it is a building block for the future.

I didn't look into the player, sorry for the mistake.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:13 PM   #490
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Naslund to the Rangers, 1 year for $4.5 mil.

Also signed D Kalinin.

TSN has Naslund as 2 years, $8 million.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2423...s=topStory_nhl

I didn't think the Rangers would be in the running for Naslund.

In other news the Sharks signed Rob Blake for 1 year at $5 million.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 05:14 PM   #491
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

wow - Rob Blake to the Sharks. 1 year, $5 million.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:18 PM   #492
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I wonder if the Rangers told Jagr that the window has closed.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:58 PM   #493
Logan
Head Coach

Sather said the team is moving on.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:34 PM   #494
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:

If they can move McLaren off the books in some sort of salary dump (1 year left at 2.5 million), this is a decent move. Blake's slowed down in his old age, but he's nowhere near as bad as McLaren, whose only useful skill, hipchecking, is negated by the fact that he's slightly faster then a pylon. One year of Blake right now is prefereble to me then 7 years of Campbell at his rate or 6 years of Redden at his.

Who knows, maybe Blake can teach a couple things to the kiddies on the backline. Supposedly, the Sharks are still in the running to try to acquire Dan Boyle from Tampa Bay, but I assume such a move would involved Ehrhoff (currently a RFA) or Carle (starting a 4 year-13.75 million deal that looks better every July 1 that comes by) and a prospect or two.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:51 AM   #495
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

What the hell? Kings have a payroll of 27 million dollars right now. What are they going to do with the 13 million dollars they need to spend to reach the minimum cap level?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 06:05 AM   #496
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Jagr to........Russia

Avangard to be exact. And this is just beautiful-

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07042008...one_118481.htm

Quote:
"I want to thank Glen and Tom and the Rangers. I want to thank all the people who supported me. Being in New York was special.
"And I also want to say to the people like Mike Milbury who made their living by criticizing me all the time, that they can kiss my [butt]."
Old 07-04-2008, 06:12 AM   #497
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
What the hell? Kings have a payroll of 27 million dollars right now. What are they going to do with the 13 million dollars they need to spend to reach the minimum cap level?

Not sure how accurate these are. Two sources-

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/compare.php?season=0809

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/

I knew Chicago was currently over the cap, but Philly?

Anyway, the Kings and Thrashers are still well below the floor. Columbus and Vancouver too. But Vancouver would easily be safe if they sign Sundin.

I am sure we can expect a few deals to ATL and LA similar to the deal made a few seasons ago with NJ and SJ, where NJ had to package a 1st round pick with Vlad Malakhov to dump to SJ, who had cap space to spare.

Would LA take Khabibulin for a one year?

If they are feeling extra generous, the Pens would love for Darryl Sydor to mentor the Kings young D.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:19 AM   #498
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Dola

Dan Boyle and Brad Lukowich to SJ

Matt Carle, 1st and 4th round picks in 2009, and unnamed prospect to TB

Carle couldn't crack SJ's D at times, but will be top 4 in Tampa. Seems like a step back overall, this season, for Tampa. So why sign the 400 forwards?
Old 07-04-2008, 11:06 AM   #499
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Dola

Dan Boyle and Brad Lukowich to SJ

Matt Carle, 1st and 4th round picks in 2009, and unnamed prospect to TB

Carle couldn't crack SJ's D at times, but will be top 4 in Tampa. Seems like a step back overall, this season, for Tampa. So why sign the 400 forwards?

Well, at this point, pretty much anybody could be a top 4 defensemen in Tampa. Who in the hell is left?

Assuming this trade goes down as listed, according to NHLnumbers.com, here's Tampa's blueline:

Carle
Paul Ranger
Alexandre Picard
Filip Kuba
Shane O'Brien
Mike Lundin (I have no idea who this is)
Matt Smaby
Doug Janik (see, Lundin, Mike, above)

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 07-04-2008 at 11:10 AM.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:17 AM   #500
bbor
Pro Starter

ML any info on the Swede D-man the Leafs signed today?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote