DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 03:58 PM   #452
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
I'm bummed this search ended already ..

I was eaglerly waiting "Ty Williingham is meeting with Auburn officials"

Naw, the pinnacle moment was going to be "Report: Weis considering offer from Auburn".

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 03:59 PM   #453
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Naw, the pinnacle moment was going to be "Report: Weis considering offer from Auburn".

No no. Nothing would have topped "Petrino on a plane heading to Auburn."
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 04:08 PM   #454
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Someone on the Rivals main board posted that the AD and school officials got off their plane without Chizik. 20 Auburn fans were there to greet them with boos. Sounds like the deal is all but set though as the AD never denied it.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 04:18 PM   #455
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
No no. Nothing would have topped "Petrino on a plane heading to Auburn."

Oh, no, I got it!

"Saban resigns, in negotiations with Auburn"

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:39 PM   #456
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
FWIW: CollegeFootballTalk.com - Rumor Mill

SYRACUSE HIRES DOUG MARRONE
Posted by Michael David Smith on December 11, 2008, 6:40 p.m.
Syracuse has hired New Orleans Saints offensive coordinator Doug Marrone as its next head coach, Adam Schefter of NFL Network is reporting.

I'm just going to go ahead and decide I'm excited about the hire, even though my brain tells me this is just the offensive version of Greg Robinson, and I don't really see how he "knows the northeast" in a recruiting sense - he spent one year as an assistant at Northeastern 14 years ago.

Still, nowhere to go but up....
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 04:46 PM   #457
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Not a head coach hire, but USC promotes John Morton to be their offensive coordinator and word is that they are looking to hire Carl Smith to be the QB coach and help mentor Morton. I'm mildly concerned about this hire but will hope for the best.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 12-13-2008 at 04:46 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 07:15 PM   #458
MJ4H
Coordinator

Iowa State Cyclones Football: CycloneReport.com

Quote:
"Auburn has its man and he is former Iowa State coach Gene Chizik. No, really. Chizik has agreed to a deal with Auburn that will release ISU from it's six-year obligation to pay him one million dollars per conference victory. Needless to say, ISU did not make a counter offer. The powers that be in the Cyclone athletic department will take the buyout money and begin searching for a new head coach, once they quit laughing and toasting Auburn for taking the most unprepared, overmatched and incompetent head coach of the modern era off their hands."

lol wow
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 08:23 PM   #459
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post

It says a lot when Iowa State didn't even bother trying to keep him.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 08:33 PM   #460
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Oh dear... my Auburn friends are going to be pissed.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:56 PM   #461
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I was dubious when Tuberville was pushed out at Auburn, now I'm highly amused - Chizik is the best they could do? And really, shouldn't they have known better? I guess they got starry-eyed after seeing Saban and Petrino get poached in the last couple of years, but man - Chizik has to be a huge let-down from what they probably expected.

Although I suppose Chizik may end up making us all look like fools by leading Auburn to a string of 11+ win seasons. Somehow I doubt it though...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 10:03 PM   #462
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I sure hope Auburn's on the schedule for next season.

I can't believe those bastards didn't interview me.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:16 PM   #463
kcchief19
Pro Starter

If Chizik does win at Auburn, I think Iowa State needs to think about dropping down to FCS. And I'm only half kidding. Actually, his reflects more poorly on the SEC -- the best Auburn could do was get the worst head coach from the Big 12? Again, I'm only half kidding.

If I'm Iowa State, I'm calling Tuberville.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 11:28 PM   #464
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post

If I'm Iowa State, I'm calling Tuberville.

Agreed. Hell, if I'm Washington, I'm calling Tuberville. In fact, if I'm any school with a head coaching vacancy I'd be calling Tuberville right now.

With as much success as he's had at Auburn, he really deserved a free pass on one bad season.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 12:52 AM   #465
Tigercat
College Starter

Tuberville would be great at a school with less resources and expectations for football. Hell, he had Ole Miss playing great football when they were still under serious probation.

Tuberville's biggest problem was that he did not recruit very well. He recruited a few blue chips here and there, but he didn't recruit well for depth compared to other SEC teams. Despite that, he knew how to get talent to develop and play hard week after week. He could easily have a team like Washington in a bowl game every year.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 07:11 AM   #466
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
Tuberville's biggest problem was that he did not recruit very well.

This considering 'Bama was the NCAA's bitch for so long that he had free reign in the state. Once that stopped happening and 'Bama got a top of the line coach, the streak of Auburn wins over 'Bama was going to be ending shortly and it did in rather lopsided fashion. The good news for Tuberville is that I'm sure the Auburn job will be open when he recovers from his "time off." The bad news is I think is better off in a state where he does have free reign and again, that's not the state of 'Bama right now.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 11:07 AM   #467
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Yup I'm in the Tuberville-to-Washington-makes-a-ton-of-sense camp.

Also, LOL at Auburn.

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 01:41 PM   #468
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post
Yup I'm in the Tuberville-to-Washington-makes-a-ton-of-sense camp.
Too late.

And I get what the UW is trying for with the Sarkisian hire - rather than take a safer route with an established head coach, go for the next Bob Stoops, Mark Richt, Jeff Tedford. Roll the dice on a coordinator and hope it pays off big time.

As well, I think the UW also figures Sarkisian is already established as a recruiter on the west coast, and in particular in SoCal, an area where UW recruiting under Ty withered and died. Tuberville has a name, but beyond that, no established connections with west coast recruiting.

And, the UW figures Sarkisian's time under Carroll is a big benefit - already, Sarkisian is saying all the right things about bringing the culture of competitiveness in everything the team does from USC up to UW, and of bringing Carroll's philosophy of open practices (which he believes leads to greater accountability).

Sarkisian has the passion and fire to prove himself that a guy like Tuberville might no longer possess.

I wouldn't have objected at all had the UW pursued Tuberville, but I'm not convinced he would've been the better choice. Safer, but maybe not as much upside. Anyway, who's to say Tuberville would've been particularly interested in the Washington job.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:50 PM   #469
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

The other nice benefit of Sarkasian for UW is that he might bring along some very good coaches. I'll be sorry to see Rocky Sato go, but he'll probably leave as Sark is offering him a promotion to defensive coordinator.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:10 PM   #470
bhlloy
Coordinator

Seto is a promising coach, but losing him is way, way better than losing Holt to UT. And Seto is clearly behind Norton in the DC-in-waiting stakes. Not going to miss too much sleep over this one.

On the other hand, John Morton is a bit of a head scratcher to be the new OC. This is clearly Carroll trying to re-assert his stamp on the offense, and I'm not sure I like it. Even if Carl Smith comes back as QB coach/assistant head coach. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts...
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 04:12 PM   #471
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Rough arrival for Coach at Auburn at the airport.

hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7TxIMAwc1k
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 04:52 PM   #472
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post

On the other hand, John Morton is a bit of a head scratcher to be the new OC. This is clearly Carroll trying to re-assert his stamp on the offense, and I'm not sure I like it. Even if Carl Smith comes back as QB coach/assistant head coach. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts...

I said I was slightly concerned earlier in the thread I believe, but the more I think about it the more concerned I become. I agree that this is a clear move that Carroll is going to get more involved with the offense which concerns me. He is a great defensive mind, but I'd like a great offensive mind to balance him. Morton is already talking about simplifying the playbook and focusing on a core set of plays. I just hope the offense doesn't become even less dynamic, as that is going to hurt with recruiting among other things. I think it is mainly an excuse, but I think Morton's hiring will likely be the final straw in Randall Carroll decommitting.

Edit to add: I definitely agree that losing Seto is better than losing Holt. The only coaches that we absolutely cannot afford to lose are Holt and Norton, IMO.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 12-14-2008 at 04:53 PM.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:06 PM   #473
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

There seem to be indications that Ball State's Bradley Hoke has been hired by San Diego State, over UCLA's DeWayne Walker.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:44 PM   #474
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
There seem to be indications that Ball State's Bradley Hoke has been hired by San Diego State, over UCLA's DeWayne Walker.

Interesting move. I guess he feels he has reached the ceiling for the program.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:31 PM   #475
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Also, consider that many think San Diego State is a program with a lot of potential. Similar to the recent glut of D-1 schools in Florida tapping into that huge local pipeline of talent and finding success, there's reason to think that with the right coach, San Diego State could also really blossom by landing some of the leftovers from what USC and UCLA leave behind in the SoCal area.

San Diego is a great city - it should be pretty easy to recruit there. And the MWC has been gaining in stature; while a lot of west coast kids want to play in the Pac-10, I think more and more of them are figuring out that a MWC school isn't much of a let-down.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:04 PM   #476
st.cronin
General Manager

That's a really good hire for SD State, imo. Looks like the Mountain West is really taking football seriously, that's three pretty good hires, including the ones at Wyoming and New Mexico.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:23 AM   #477
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

This is a win-win for me. I want Walker to get a head coaching gig because he deserves it. But if he doesn't get hired, that just mean he brings his bad ass mutha mojo back to Westwood for another year.

I have been hearing he might be in it for the NMSU job. Have they hired a new coach yet? I think the San Diego State job was a better fit, but I guess with his west coast recruiting experience, he can make a go of it just about anywhere west of the Plains (since almost all schools in that region basically thrive off of Cali recruits).

Old 12-15-2008, 09:45 AM   #478
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Monte Kiffin has told the Buccaneers he's joining Lane at Tennessee.

In other news, the sky is reportedly blue.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:53 AM   #479
Butter
Coordinator

So, having your dad as an underling... how's that gonna work out, do we think?
Old 12-15-2008, 11:36 AM   #480
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Yikes. The lead editor at the Iowa State Rivals website didn't mince words about their departing coach. Normally, this might be written off as sour grapes, but he actually has a lot of very good points.......

CycloneReport.com - Dateline Campustown: Auburn can't count
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:47 AM   #481
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
So, having your dad as an underling... how's that gonna work out, do we think?

Steve Alford had his Dad on his staff at Missouri State and Iowa. Seemed to work well. Esp. at Missouri State.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:46 PM   #482
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Great article on the Auburn Chizik hire:

College Football: Auburn Hires Gene Chizik; Big 12, SEC Laugh Together
Old 12-15-2008, 01:32 PM   #483
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

In all seriousness, how can Auburn justify hiring Chizik over someone like Turner Gill? Chizik took over a mediocre program, but one that had been bowling in 2 of the 3 seasons prior to him taking over, and proceeded to go 5-19; Gill took over a horrible program, one that had gone 5-41 in the 4 years prior to Gill, and by his 3rd year there has them at 8-5 and bowling for the first time ever.

I'm waiting for Seth Meyers and Amy Poehler to do a "Seriously?" segment on this...
Old 12-15-2008, 01:43 PM   #484
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
In all seriousness, how can Auburn justify hiring Chizik over someone like Turner Gill?

Presumably his history as Auburn's DC for an unbeaten season and then a national championship as the DC at Texas.

If not for his dismal performance as a head coach, this probably wouldn't look so bad on paper.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:08 PM   #485
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Yikes. The lead editor at the Iowa State Rivals website didn't mince words about their departing coach. Normally, this might be written off as sour grapes, but he actually has a lot of very good points.......

CycloneReport.com - Dateline Campustown: Auburn can't count

I don't know if they did it on purpose, but the picture that they chose for that article is funny. The whole article is about how the guy is just not cut out for running something as complicated as a D1 football team. And that pic seems to confirm it.

It isn't so bad (like him picking his nose or making a face) that you would say that they picked it to make him look bad. But you can see in that picture that the guy just lacks intelligence. He looks like someone trying to understand a waiter explaining the specials at a Chinese resturant and just nodding along because he does not understand everything, but he hopes that he can get some noodles or something, or maybe his wife will just order for him.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:16 PM   #486
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Presumably his history as Auburn's DC for an unbeaten season and then a national championship as the DC at Texas.

If not for his dismal performance as a head coach, this probably wouldn't look so bad on paper.
Sure, but he does have that dismal performance as a head coach - that can't be ignored. There's a significant difference between being a coordinator and a head coach, and the evidence so far suggests that Chizik isn't nearly as good at being a head coach as he was at being a defensive coordinator.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:24 PM   #487
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Sure, but he does have that dismal performance as a head coach - that can't be ignored.

Don't blame me, I was just offering what appears to be Auburn's justification for the hire. It looks as though they feel that it can be ignored because it was, well, Iowa State.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-15-2008 at 02:25 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:34 PM   #488
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I guess they could say that it was done with a group of players that he didn't recruit or something.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:05 PM   #489
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Well, the reality is that it's probably best for Gill that he didn't get the job - I doubt he would've had the level of support he'd need to succeed there.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:51 PM   #490
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Well, the reality is that it's probably best for Gill that he didn't get the job - I doubt he would've had the level of support he'd need to succeed there.

+1
Old 12-15-2008, 06:23 PM   #491
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

And I believe he is correct.

RIP
Old 12-15-2008, 06:26 PM   #492
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

Jon wins the thread.

RIP
Old 12-15-2008, 06:28 PM   #493
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:

I don't think that is true. The fan base had two favorites, Gill and Charlie Strong. Both were interviewed, both have a much better resume, and either would have been a better hire from both a coaching and recruiting stand-point. The fans and the recruits would have been all over either one.

I hope like hell the rank and file Auburn fan votes with their money, and do what they are threatening in withhold donations/season tickets. A handful of old rich white guys are destroying this football program.

Oh, and Barkley on all this:

ESPN - Charles Barkley outraged by Auburn Tigers' hiring of Gene Chizik
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:28 PM   #494
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Count me among those who believe that Turner Gill's time is coming, in the next year or two, at a pretty good program. That dude can flat-out coach. I hope he doesn't come to the SEC.

RIP
Old 12-15-2008, 06:29 PM   #495
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

He would have got 2 years whether he deserved it or not
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:54 PM   #496
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I don't think that is true. The fan base had two favorites, Gill and Charlie Strong. Both were interviewed, both have a much better resume, and either would have been a better hire from both a coaching and recruiting stand-point. The fans and the recruits would have been all over either one.

I hope like hell the rank and file Auburn fan votes with their money, and do what they are threatening in withhold donations/season tickets. A handful of old rich white guys are destroying this football program.

I don't think it's the Auburn fans that are ruining the program, it's boosters (one in particular) and the administration. I think the majority of Auburn fans would've been happy with Gill and fully supported him.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:46 AM   #497
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:

While I agree Gill would've been a better hire, Barkley sounds like an idiot - even more racist than Auburn not hiring Gill. I guess you can't be successful at Kansas State, Notre Dame, Miami or Washington? And he says basically they should've hired Gill because he was black, it would've created a buzz.

Typical Chuck and his diarrhea of the mouth.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 06:16 AM   #498
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
While I agree Gill would've been a better hire, Barkley sounds like an idiot - even more racist than Auburn not hiring Gill.

I think he probably takes it too far, but when there are only 4 black head coaches in division 1, then I think there is a problem, and I understand why he's upset. I certainly don't think that's the correct representation of talent.

Quote:
I guess you can't be successful at Kansas State, Notre Dame, Miami or Washington?

His point is that those jobs were only given to black coaches after they were a complete shithole. Miami had lost everything it built under Butch Davis. K-State had only recently been good, and had fallen down from their peak. Washington was miserable. Notre Dame had fallen on hard times under Bob Davie.

Quote:
And he says basically they should've hired Gill because he was black, it would've created a buzz.

Nah. He says they should've hired him because he was clearly better than Chizik. The buzz thing is more of a side benefit (i.e. "2nd black head coach in SEC history", it probably helps with recruiting).

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:18 AM   #499
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
While I agree Gill would've been a better hire, Barkley sounds like an idiot - even more racist than Auburn not hiring Gill. I guess you can't be successful at Kansas State, Notre Dame, Miami or Washington? And he says basically they should've hired Gill because he was black, it would've created a buzz.

Typical Chuck and his diarrhea of the mouth.

qft

RIP
Old 12-16-2008, 02:34 PM   #500
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
His point is that those jobs were only given to black coaches after they were a complete shithole. Miami had lost everything it built under Butch Davis. K-State had only recently been good, and had fallen down from their peak. Washington was miserable. Notre Dame had fallen on hard times under Bob Davie.
Miami was and still is a good job - it's still right smack in the middle of the biggest collection of football talent in the country, it still has great tradition, it still has good support from alumni and the administration.

Kansas State had slipped from their peak, but were only 2 seasons removed consecutive 11-win seasons.

Washington was not miserable - they had just had a 1-10 season, but prior to that had gone 27 years without a losing season. Ty made Washington miserable - that 1-10 season should've been an aberration.

Notre Dame has always had the most resources and exposure of any school in college football. There's no way that job can be characterized as a "complete shithole".

Now Buffalo, that was a complete shithole. And props to Gill for turning things around there, that's a tremendous job of coaching.