Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-27-2005, 11:06 PM   #51
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16
I was just playing off your post. As you can see you wrote offense first.

Oops. I need sleep, can't ya tell? Staying up to watch west coast games are a bitch

MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 12:00 AM   #52
miked
College Starter

Wow, that sucked. 700 yds for ASU??
miked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 12:06 AM   #53
Celeval
Pro Starter

Was a fun game to watch, tho.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 12:25 AM   #54
SnDvls
Pro Starter

hell of a game to be at too.

Blade- saw you said you were @ the game. I was there too. Just on the other side of the student section (away from the band) I had on my Tillman jersey and the hat that looks like a helmet.
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 12:28 AM   #55
Blade6119
Coordinator

Rudy Carpenter threw for 467 yards and four touchdowns and Arizona State amassed an Insight Bowl-record 678 yards Tuesday night, holding off Rutgers for a wild 45-40 victory.

The teams combined 1,210 yard, a record for any bowl game. The old mark of 1,143 yards was set by USC and Texas A&M in the 1977 Bluebonnet Bowl.

-------------------------------------
I was right near you if im not mistaken by your description! Damnit....at least we can laugh at all these east coast fans as the Pac-10 is 2-0 now in bowls. HAHAHAH RUTGERS. ASU toyed with you for a bit then turned it on

Serious: Rutgers had exactly the team to terrorize asu, a strong running game with an ok pass...it showed...just not enough. Hopefully we do better next year...god damn we had a dissapointing season
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 12:39 AM   #56
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119
I was right near you if im not mistaken by your description! Damnit....at least we can laugh at all these east coast fans as the Pac-10 is 2-0 now in bowls. HAHAHAH RUTGERS. ASU toyed with you for a bit then turned it on

there was an old guy right behind me. my wife next to me, next to her was a little girl and another guy in a Tillman jersey and in front of me (I was 4 rows from the bottom too) was a guy in a F*** U of A gold shirt.
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 08:50 AM   #57
Huckleberry
College Starter

I know I'm shocked that the Pac-10 has won a bowl game 35-28 over BYU and 45-40 over Rutgers, indicating highly competent offenses and incompetent defenses.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 08:55 AM   #58
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Fun game... ending with a predictable result.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:39 AM   #59
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry
I know I'm shocked that the Pac-10 has won a bowl game 35-28 over BYU and 45-40 over Rutgers, indicating highly competent offenses and incompetent defenses.

Cant say I remember when BYU had a stingy defense and a lackluster offense.

Im afraid that UCLA-Northwestern won't be a defensive showdown either as both teams are ranked Top-10 in offense and near the bottom in defense
Old 12-28-2005, 10:45 AM   #60
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

So, I watched the first half, missed the third quarter and watched the 4th. Why wasn't Rice in? He looked so good in the first half, minus his fumble in the 2nd(i think it was the 2nd).
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:14 AM   #61
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

On the macro level I would say Rutgers succeeded in not embarassing the university.

But having seen the game, the defense was pathetic. I've never been more frustrated than watching the pass coverage - simply put, they could not cover anyone. Now this wouldn't have bothered me so much if we were getting some pass rush, but we weren't. I think they let up about 700 yards on defense... and that is absolutely an embarrasment, especially when your head coach is the defensive coordinator.

Offensively they played very well in the first half, although that Ray Rice fumble killed us, and was probably the turning point in the game (I said it at the time to my firends, and looking back i think it's what got ASU back in the game when Rutgers could have taken a commanding lead).

BUt as is our style, the team looked like shit in the second half. Schiano has really got to address whatever the problem is that cause Rutgers to repeatedly play worse in the second half than in the first. The offense simply couldn't click at all, to the point where i was even able to predict the second of the back-to-back false start penalties. The game reminded me of the Syracuse game from 2 years ago... we totally choked it away.

One small victory was the Knights covering the spread with that last TD that i would consider about 50% garbage time.

Overall I'm happy for the seniors, but I just have the nagging feeling that Schiano simply is not getting everything he can out of the talent he has on-board. I think we return most starters, with QB being the only position i'm extremely worried about (Teel looked like SHIT this year).

Tough end to a good season. I hope we can build on it in 2006 rather than taking a step back.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:18 AM   #62
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

dola... and Ito, our kicker.. had the best game of his career. I though they were nuts to try the 52 yarder, but he fucking drilled it with plenty of room to spare. I hope next year he can finally put it all together.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:24 AM   #63
Swaggs
Coordinator

That was a great performance by Rutgers. When you factor in that they were playing in Arizona State's backyard and that not a single player on the team had ever prepared for a bowl game before, I think you have to be reasonably happy.

Watching the game, they promoted the hell out of Schiano, which will help recruiting. Hopefully Rutgers will retain him, even if the team's record slips a bit in the next season or two. Continuity will be important in getting that program established.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:42 AM   #64
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
I've never been more frustrated than watching the pass coverage - simply put, they could not cover anyone. Now this wouldn't have bothered me so much if we were getting some pass rush, but we weren't. I think they let up about 700 yards on defense... and that is absolutely an embarrasment, especially when your head coach is the defensive coordinator.

I should note that isnt neccessarily the problem...nobody could stop ASU's offense this year...we racked up yards on USC, LSU, and even Oregon and UCLA when we lost...Our offense tore apart everybody...The only difference was INTs, as in those we threw a few and lost and we didnt here and won.
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 12:07 PM   #65
MrBug708
Head Coach

WEll, everyone not named Oklahoma, Rice, and SDSU tore up UCLA this year It just so happens that UCLA ripped ASU's D a new one
Old 12-28-2005, 01:12 PM   #66
General Mike
Pro Starter

Tough Loss. We'll be back next year, but not in Phoenix or Arizona.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 03:16 PM   #67
timmynausea
College Starter

Will Leonard be back for his senior year?
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 04:33 PM   #68
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea
Will Leonard be back for his senior year?

Maybe. Only Brian knows.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
Old 12-28-2005, 07:09 PM   #69
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
Watching the game, they promoted the hell out of Schiano, which will help recruiting. Hopefully Rutgers will retain him, even if the team's record slips a bit in the next season or two. Continuity will be important in getting that program established.

In the week leading up to the game he signed an extension through 2012, so I think he will definitely be around a while. Also, we start playing Notre Dame annually for like 6 years starting in a few years. They're going to play the games at Giants Stadium to generate some $$$. If we can get to the point where we can compete in those games it would be huge for teh school.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:35 PM   #70
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
In the week leading up to the game he signed an extension through 2012, so I think he will definitely be around a while. Also, we start playing Notre Dame annually for like 6 years starting in a few years. They're going to play the games at Giants Stadium to generate some $$$. If we can get to the point where we can compete in those games it would be huge for teh school.

Actually if we expand Rutgers stadium, only one of the games has to be at the Meadowlands.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF