Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-26-2005, 08:11 PM   #1
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

"The First iPod"

I guess maybe it's "The Second iPod," since W's family is the "first" family, does that make Cheney's the "second"?

Anyway...from Boing Boing:
Quote:
Snip from an Associated Press item about travels aboard Air Force Two:
[Cheney] is an iPod fan, and keeping it charged is a priority for his staff. Normally that isn't an issue, even when he's flying around the world. Air Force II is equipped with outlets in each row of seats. But when Dick Cheney was traveling home overnight Wednesday from his diplomatic mission, most of the outlets went on the fritz. Working passengers began lining up their laptops to share the power from a couple of working outlets — particularly the reporters who urgently needed to prepare their articles to transmit during a quick refueling stop in England.

But when Cheney said his iPod needed to be recharged, it took precedent above all else and dominated one precious outlet for several hours. The vice president's press staff intervened so a reporter could use the outlet for 15 minutes to charge a dead laptop, but then the digital music device was plugged back in. That way, Cheney got his press coverage and his music, too.

terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 08:48 PM   #2
AgustusM
College Prospect

air force 2 doesn't have access to one of these hard to find devices?

AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 08:51 PM   #3
Zippo
High School JV

I wonder what kind of music he listens to...
Zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 09:12 PM   #4
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Rumor has it that every time his Ipod plays "Won't Get Fooled Again" Chaney just laughs and laughs and reminisces about gay marriage and the elections of 2004.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 09:38 PM   #5
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin
I guess maybe it's "The Second iPod," since W's family is the "first" family, does that make Cheney's the "second"?

Guessing Cheney's not familiar with the concept of plugging his iPod into a USB 2.0 port on one of those computers.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 09:40 PM   #6
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Depends if his iPod is 3rd gen or later.
3rd gen iPod's couldn't charge via USB.

Still, pretty asinine.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 09:47 PM   #7
Joe
Pro Starter

heh. my ipod is bigger.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 09:54 PM   #8
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
heh. my ipod is bigger.
Maybe so, but Cheney programs all your music.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 10:00 PM   #9
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie
Maybe so, but Cheney programs all your music.

Nah, staffers do that. When they can find an outlet. Cheney doesn't touch the first iPod, he listens to faggoty music.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 10:37 PM   #10
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgustusM

They probably will go out and buy a bunch of them for '$2500' a pop.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 10:52 PM   #11
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/33642

I Have An iPod–In My Mind

By Ted Lascowicz
August 20, 2003 | Issue 39•32

I'm sure you've seen a lot of tech-savvy people smugly showing off that new hunk of entertainment hardware, the iPod personal stereo. Well, I might not have the scratch to get one, but frankly, I don't want the white-corded wonder. I have my very own iPod—in my mind.

I hear those little things carry up to a month's worth of music. Well, so does my mind. I can call up any song I've ever heard, any time I want. And I never have to load software or charge batteries. There are no firewire cords or docks to mess with. I just put my hands behind my head, lean back, and select a tune from the extensive music-library folder inside my brain.

Thirty gigabytes? So what? I know 7,500 songs, maybe more. Some songs, I forget I even have until they come around on shuffle. Why, just the other day, my mind started playing David Naughton's "Makin' It," a song I hadn't heard in years. And the sound quality was great!

Easy downloads? You don't know the meaning of the word "easy." And I don't have to know the meaning of the word "download." You may get MP3s off the Internet, you smug scenester, but I can get music off the television, the radio, even a passing ice-cream truck. If I don't want to waste the memory space on a high-fidelity copy, I just don't pay very close attention. Now, that's what I call convenience.

All I have to do is hear a song once or twice, and it's stored forever. I can call it up any time I want. Beach Boys. Beatles. How about some Bach? Or some Billy Joel? Sing me a song, piano man of my mind! And those are just the artists whose names begin with "B."

I can browse by artist, album, song, or music genre. Boom! I'm doing it right now! The "repeat" feature? Heck, songs from my iPod don't ever have to end. I swear, I had "Music Box Dancer" going through my head for three days straight last week.

You say those iPods have customizable playlists that allow you to line up songs of your choosing? Primitive! I can put together a playlist, say "Best-Ever Heavy Metal Anthems," while I'm sitting in traffic. My mind is light-years beyond that, though. Does your iPod have the "That Reminds Me Of Another Great Song" feature? Well, my mind does!

Does your iPod have a powerful feature that can play back the great songs of summer 1993, as they sounded coming out of Mike Tollefson's boombox in the back of the school bus? Of course not. That particular playlist is in my brain, which your pitiful iPod will never be able to autosync with.

But wait, you say that my iPod isn't wrapped up in a pretty little white case? Oh, I guess you haven't heard of a pretty little white case I like to call my skull. There's plenty of room for all of my contacts, too. Check this out: Paula, 398-9172, 195 Webster Place. Ha! Take that, Apple.

Sure, it doesn't hold all the music I've ever heard, but if I can't remember a song, it's usually not worth having anyway. Except, I'll admit, that one by The Tubes that I think was called "She's One In A Million Girls." The file somehow got corrupted with part of that J. Geils Band song about the centerfold. But every product has its bugs, right?

Even so, my mind has features your iPod will never have. Does your iPod have real-time remixing? No?! Well, if I don't like the original lyrics to Kansas' "Carry On Wayward Son"—zip, zip, zing—my mind can change them! Adding a cool bass line or a rocking keyboard flourish to any piece of music? No problem! Adding images of myself performing on stage with the band? Done!

Does your iPod turn you from just another bus-rider into a lonely figure finding his way down Baker Street? Guess what? My mind can! And it does it all with no moving parts, man. None. 'Cause it's my mind.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:30 AM   #12
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

That is pathetic.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:40 AM   #13
Emiliano
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgustusM

Old 12-27-2005, 04:04 AM   #14
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Welcome to last week.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote