Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-15-2003, 07:53 PM   #1
Richards
Mascot

Lightbulb OT: [HT] I am training Defending

Yes it's true. Not playmaking, or scoring.

Well I am a HT newbie. Decided to see what all the raving here is about, since HT has virtually taken over FOFC

Been soaking up all the info and advice on various sites. While I'm training Stamina for two weeks, I've been doing some thinking on what my training regime will be. Well I have decided...DEFENCE!!

Not too popular huh? Well here are my (possibly flawed) reasons.

*Can train 10 a week. Quantity over quality.
*Defenders only need defence. No important secondary skills required.

Yeah those are the boring reasons, here are my real reasons:

*Good Defenders complement my Solid All Out Coach for a balanced team. (He was third in line, got him for 20,000. Beginner's luck?!!!?)

*Allows me to have good defense (with a good keeper) even with 3 defenders in the engine busting 3-5-2, or allows me to play the exotic 2-5-3 (with a good captain) in some situations.

*Everyone else training midfielders == glut of future inner mids???

*Finally, Training is a long term process. HT game engine is broken, well maybe flawed, well at least unbalanced. Midfielders/playmakers are too important, admittedly. I'm making a calculated bet that the developers will adjust this at some point in the future, and make CD's more important. I could be wrong, or even totally cracked...but if I am right, my team will profit in the long run.

Anyway, this game is just plain fun. A little CM, a little Ebay, a worldwide stage, lotsta fun.

Richards "Greenlight Superior FC"

Last edited by Richards : 04-15-2003 at 07:54 PM.
Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 07:59 PM   #2
The_herd
College Starter

I trained defense for a while and don't regret it, however its something that you do for 5 weeks at least, not something you do for a week or 2 and change, you just wont see results.

I think one reason people train playmaking is mids train quick and sell for a ton of chash. Everyone wants mids, pretty simple
Old 04-15-2003, 08:00 PM   #3
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Hey Richards, welcome aboard.

Seems like every week there are a few new guys that step up and, like you, say: "Hi, my name is Richards. I'm Hattrickaholic"

FrogMan
Old 04-15-2003, 08:02 PM   #4
Richards
Mascot

Quote:
Originally posted by The_herd
I trained defense for a while and don't regret it, however its something that you do for 5 weeks at least, not something you do for a week or 2 and change, you just wont see results.

Yeah that's why I thought I would take some time and consider, because I plan on sticking with it for at least a few seasons.
Old 04-15-2003, 08:02 PM   #5
McSweeny
College Starter

i too am training defenders though only because i am in massive debt and the only guys i have under 20 are defenders...

though your reasoning makes me feel a little better about training my defenders
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 08:03 PM   #6
JHandley
High School Varsity

I thought about training defense and probably will due to the team I drew. It's not a bad strategy at all to train defense with the hopes that with a lot of people trianing playmaking, they will have to buy good defenders to feild a decent team. I don't remember who it is off hand, but I know there's an FOFC'er who's training goalkeepers with that same philosophy.

Having said that, I would recommend reading the hattrick rules, I believe there's something in there about playing exotic formations. I think the rule is, if you add more than one position above each position starting from a regular 442, it will confuse the players and reduce the training.

I don't think I'm explaining it very well, but essentially the idea is to keep people from playing a 118 or some other rather silly formation.
JHandley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 08:05 PM   #7
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

Actually quite a few people train defending. But keep in mind, defending is the slowest form of training there is.

Code:
Training Type Number of teams Percentage General 514 19 % Stamina 211 8 % Set Pieces 21 1 % Defending 385 14 % Scoring 364 13 % Cross Pass (Winger) 80 3 % Shooting 60 2 % Short Passes 106 4 % Playmaking 759 28 % Goaltending 225 8 %

meh that didn't turn out so well

Last edited by TargetPractice6 : 04-15-2003 at 08:06 PM.
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 08:06 PM   #8
Richards
Mascot

Quote:
Originally posted by JHandley
I thought about training defense and probably will due to the team I drew. It's not a bad strategy at all to train defense with the hopes that with a lot of people trianing playmaking, they will have to buy good defenders to feild a decent team. I don't remember who it is off hand, but I know there's an FOFC'er who's training goalkeepers with that same philosophy.

Having said that, I would recommend reading the hattrick rules, I believe there's something in there about playing exotic formations. I think the rule is, if you add more than one position above each position starting from a regular 442, it will confuse the players and reduce the training.

I don't think I'm explaining it very well, but essentially the idea is to keep people from playing a 118 or some other rather silly formation.

I believe the rule is that if you play more than two more than normal in any one area, like 6 in the midfield, or 4 attackers, but a 2-5-3 doesn't break that except for not being a "standard" formation so you need a good leader to prevent mass confusion on the pitch.

I could be wrong though, I'm a newb.

Last edited by Richards : 04-15-2003 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-15-2003, 08:15 PM   #9
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Right, now I train PM, but that's because I'm kind of weak there. Plus I bought a whole bunch of midfield trainees so I'm sticking with it until I see them improve. But defense is a good idea to train.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 08:16 PM   #10
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Richards
I believe the rule is that if you play more than two more than normal in any one area, like 6 in the midfield, or 4 attackers, but a 2-5-3 doesn't break that except for not being a "standard" formation so you need a good leader to prevent mass confusion on the pitch.

I could be wrong though, I'm a newb.

If you don't play a formation listed on the training page, you also lose training for that game.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 08:27 PM   #11
Richards
Mascot

Quote:
Originally posted by illinifan999
If you don't play a formation listed on the training page, you also lose training for that game.

right, I wouldn't ever use this form "regularly" Maybe it would be appropriate for a manager in a league game where they are outmatched and are trying to pull something out of their hat...a fluke, a one-shotter, you know...
Old 04-15-2003, 08:28 PM   #12
Richards
Mascot

solid coaches

speaking of training, how many here have "solid" coaches, and how many "tries" did it take. Maybe we can collect some data on this, or maybe it's been done already.
Old 04-15-2003, 08:38 PM   #13
Nyarlahotep
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by illinifan999

That isn't true. From the rules:

Tactical blocking devices
In real life no team would turn up with a 1-0-9 formation. This is simply because it wouldn´t pay off. Accordingly, it won´t pay off in Hattrick either. There are two blocking devices designed to deter you from experimenting too wildly:

· "Confusion"- If you use tactics other than 4-4-2 you may find that your players are so confused by this that they play under their normal capacity. The stranger the tactics the more widespread the confusion. (This risk can be counteracted by " Routine" and " Experience";see below). Besides 4-4-2, guaranteed free of confusion, there´s 6 different standard alternatives where the risks of confusion are decisively smaller than the more extreme lineups:
4-3-3 (one of your midfielders has been repositioned as a forward)
5-3-2 ( one of your midfielders has been repositioned as a central defender)
3-5-2 (one of your defenders has been repositioned as an inner midfielder)
4-5-1 (one of your forwards has been repositioned as an inner midfielder)
3-4-3 (one of your defenders has been repositioned as a forward)
5-4-1 (one of your forwards has been repositioned as a defender)

The last two of these (3-4-3 and 5-4-1) are somewhat harder to carry through than the others, but all 6 of them are counted as standard alternatives.
If confusion should occur, this will be reported during the match.

Risk for absense of effects of training- if you use too extreme tactical lineups (for example 7 defenders), the confusion might be so total that the entire training and experience registered for the whole week did not happen. Observe that this risk only occurs when you have at least 2 players too many in one part of the team, like 6 defenders or 4 forwards. The more overcrowding, the bigger the risk. (This is to avoid teams getting boosted training effects on strikes, for example by playing 0-0-10.)

So a 2-5-3 would get training.
Nyarlahotep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 08:39 PM   #14
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

The Ultra Nox started out with a solid coach...but bear in mind I believe there are different levels of solid coach (high and low)...I don't know how my guy rates yet.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 08:40 PM   #15
JHandley
High School Varsity

Emanuel Carmona (8760874)
31 years, poor form, healthy
A solid coach who prefers a strong defensive game
A pleasant guy who is balanced and upright.
Has excellent experience and poor leadership abilities.

Got this guy on my first pull.
JHandley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 08:41 PM   #16
RonnieDobbs
High School JV

Obviously the solid is great. Poor leadership can hurt your TS though. But still, nice pull.

Proud Manager of the BOSTON WYCKYD SCEPTRE
Also attempting to Right The Ship with the Clippers
RonnieDobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 08:48 PM   #17
bbor
Pro Starter

Since you're new

4-5-1 !!!!

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 08:50 PM   #18
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Richards- you said a reason for training defenders was to get 10...and as a fellow D trainer...I think it would be best if you only trained 9....What I am saying is that running the 5-4-1 in league games can be hasardos...I ran it for a short while and had some really low scoring ties, I think you would have more luck running the 4-5-1 in league games and the 5-4-1 in your friendlies...Atleast that is what I do, and have had success doing this for now (I got my team about 2 months ago...so take it for what it is worth)...
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 10:25 PM   #19
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

If you're running a 2-5-3 or 3-5-2, you are really shooting yourself in the feet with training defense. You are only training 2 or 3 of a possible 5 spots. If you were training midfield, you could fully train 6 middies and partially train 4 wingers as opposed to training only 4 or 6 defenders weekly. If you want to see how to train defense, check out DK's thread. Still, I have to say that if you are running a formation like that, then training anything but playmaking would really be cutting into your future earnings.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 10:39 PM   #20
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I run a 3-5-2 but my best young players are defenders. My midfield is old so I think it would waste training them.
Old 04-16-2003, 09:50 AM   #21
Richards
Mascot

Quote:
Originally posted by sterlingice
If you're running a 2-5-3 or 3-5-2, you are really shooting yourself in the feet with training defense. You are only training 2 or 3 of a possible 5 spots. If you were training midfield, you could fully train 6 middies and partially train 4 wingers as opposed to training only 4 or 6 defenders weekly. If you want to see how to train defense, check out DK's thread. Still, I have to say that if you are running a formation like that, then training anything but playmaking would really be cutting into your future earnings.

SI

Very true. It would be naieve (sp) to train D and play those forms. I'm plannign on tentatively playing 5-3-2 for friendlies and playing 3-5-2 or 4-5-1 for league. That gives me a nice 8 or 9 trains per week, a decent compromise.