Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Vote for the team which LEAST deserves the title of "Most Futile Team in Sports":
MLB: Boston Red Sox 24 45.28%
MLB: Chicago Cubs 1 1.89%
NBA: Cleveland Cavaliers 2 3.77%
NBA: Los Angeles Clippers 3 5.66%
NFL: Cincinnati Bengals 3 5.66%
NFL: New Orleans Saints 1 1.89%
NFL: Seattle Seahawks 4 7.55%
NHL: Hartford Whalers/Carolina Hurrincanes 6 11.32%
NHL: Los Angeles Kings 9 16.98%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-15-2003, 12:46 PM   #1
Kodos
Resident Alien

Cool Futility Bowl: The Worst Franchise in Sports Tourney, Rd. 2

The Jets were shown the door in no uncertain terms in Round 1. Clearly, they have no claim on being the worst franchise in Pro Sports. Can the Red Sox be far behind?

How They Went:

1. New York Jets, 21 of 55 votes, 38.18%, Boston Red Sox second with 14 votes.

Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 01:15 PM   #2
Buzzbee
College Starter

Awww man. I got it backwards. I was voting for the MOST futile franchise listed. Good thing the Clippers are so shitty or I might have inadvertently voted them off. D'oh!!
Old 04-15-2003, 02:40 PM   #3
Buzzbee
College Starter

Dola

Ok, here goes my thought process/process of elimination.

Bo Sox - They did make it to the World Series, and Carlton Fisk's 6th game homer is one of the more memorable moments in baseball. And besides, they don't have a history of being horrible, like the Detroit Tigers, so I can't vote for them.

Cubs - They stink, but didn't they win a World Series once? Like with Dave Kingman or something? Besides, with Harry Carey and the Cub fans, it would be hard to label them the most futile franchise.

Cavaliers - Oooh. This is tough. Well, they did have a few good years with Lenny Wilkens as coach and Mark Price as one-man-show. Close, but not quite.

Clippers - Wins - 831
Losses - 1465
"Winning" percentage - 0.361933798
Most "famous" players - Bob McAdoo, Bill Walton (102 games in 6 years, or just over 20% of the time), Chris Weber

They get my vote for most Futile franchise.

Bungles - They are a close second, but did manage a couple of Super Bowl Appearances. Didn't they? Or was I dreaming?

Saints - The Saints are also another likely contender. Any team whose fans nickname themselves the Aints has to be in the running. The Buccaneers are very comparable to the Saints, except that the Buccs are the defending Super Bowl Champions. Nevertheless, the Saints are kinda like the Cubs. They haven't been good, but they've been just good enough to avoid being horrible, and they have some pretty loyal fans.

Seahawks - They are one of those teams that isn't good enough to be memorable, or bad enough to be memorable. They just are.

Whalers/Hurricanes - They made it to the Stanley Cup. This eliminates them from a futile existence.

Kings - They had Gretzky. Nuff said.
Old 04-15-2003, 02:50 PM   #4
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

most glaring oversight:

no inclusion of the Chicago/St. Louis/Phoenix/Arizona Cardinals!?
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 02:53 PM   #5
Masked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Buzzbee
Dola

Saints - The Saints are also another likely contender. Any team whose fans nickname themselves the Aints has to be in the running. The Buccaneers are very comparable to the Saints, except that the Buccs are the defending Super Bowl Champions. Nevertheless, the Saints are kinda like the Cubs. They haven't been good, but they've been just good enough to avoid being horrible, and they have some pretty loyal fans.

They've been just good enough to get their fans' hopes up, before crushing them yet again.
Masked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 03:22 PM   #6
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Masked
They've been just good enough to get their fans' hopes up, before crushing them yet again.

You mean like starting 7-2, only to finish the season with losses to the Bengals, Vikings, and Panthers...and missing out on the playoffs?....Why are we even Saints fans....one playoff win ever....

I think the Saints should be considered the worst franchise in NFL history...Even the Bengals had some glory days and won a few playoff games...and went to the Super Bowl....the saints have 1 playoff win ever...that is pretty pathetic.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 07:40 PM   #7
JeeberD
General Manager

The Sox deserve to be out of this, they've been decent for quite a while, they just can't get over the hump...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote