Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-15-2003, 03:48 AM   #1
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Is syria next?

Granted I dont think next week we will declare war on Syria. But it looks as though the US has set its sights on Sryia. what are your thoughts?. I think that another war is not out of the question. Syria and Iran both are tempting targets....

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!

Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 03:59 AM   #2
ACStrider
High School JV

I would love to see us root out the powers at be in those two nations, but I don't see it happening in the near future. Getting things settled down and set up in Iraq will be keeping most of our attention. Look for the policy makers to apply pressure through discussions (including the threat of sanctions or force) but no action to be taken for at least half a year (if any will be taken at all). Hopefully these other nations will get the hint a bit faster then Hussein and stop providing opportunity for terrorist organizations.
Old 04-15-2003, 04:06 AM   #3
astralhaze
College Prospect

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,937105,00.html

The White House has privately ruled out suggestions that the US should go to war against Syria following its military success in Iraq, and has blocked preliminary planning for such a campaign in the Pentagon, the Guardian learned yesterday.
In the past few weeks, the US defence secretary, Donald Rumsfeld, ordered contingency plans for a war on Syria to be reviewed following the fall of Baghdad.

Meanwhile, his undersecretary for policy, Doug Feith, and William Luti, the head of the Pentagon's office of special plans, were asked to put together a briefing paper on the case for war against Syria, outlining its role in supplying weapons to Saddam Hussein, its links with Middle East terrorist groups and its allegedly advanced chemical weapons programme. Mr Feith and Mr Luti were both instrumental in persuading the White House to go to war in Iraq.

Mr Feith and other conservatives now playing important roles in the Bush administration, advised the Israeli government in 1996 that it could "shape its strategic environment... by weakening, containing and even rolling back Syria".

However, President George Bush, who faces re-election next year with two perilous nation-building projects, in Afghanistan and Iraq, on his hands, is said to have cut off discussion among his advisers about the possibility of taking the "war on terror" to Syria.

"The talk about Syria didn't go anywhere. Basically, the White House shut down the discussion," an intelligence source in Washington told the Guardian.

Faced with rising apprehension over the prospect of a new conflict, Tony Blair also offered categorical assurances to anx ious MPs yesterday that Britain and the US had "no plans whatsoever" to invade Iraq's neighbour.
Old 04-15-2003, 05:26 AM   #4
andy m
High School Varsity

Old 04-15-2003, 06:18 AM   #5
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

it's pretty sad. I could post dozens of pictures of asshat anti-war protesters and their signs, yet their appears to be only one picture of a pro-war idiot.

In a way, every time it gets posted it makes me feel better.

Post on, andy!
Old 04-15-2003, 07:01 AM   #6
couriers

Q&A: The US and Syria
Old 04-15-2003, 07:02 AM   #7
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
I am sure he is just talking to the Moran family, who's daughter Erin was Joanie on Happy Days. The family is well known for stumbling through the periodic chart on science trivia night down at the MENSA hall.
Old 04-15-2003, 07:16 AM   #8
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz
I am sure he is just talking to the Moran family, who's daughter Erin was Joanie on Happy Days. The family is well known for stumbling through the periodic chart on science trivia night down at the MENSA hall.

This makes sense. Wasn't Happy Days set in Milwaukee? Given the awful teams the Brewers have fielded over the past decade, I can understand why this guy would now be a Cardinals fan.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 07:26 AM   #9
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
This "guy" is Scott Baio who has let things go since his Chachi days.
Old 04-15-2003, 07:41 AM   #10
Hammer755
High School Varsity

Scott Baio gave me pink eye!
Old 04-15-2003, 09:38 AM   #11
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Did anyone read the transcript of the interview with Eagleburger where he says Bush should be impeached if he attacks Syria? Very interesting.
Old 04-15-2003, 09:44 AM   #12
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

What does Eagleburger have to do with Scott Baio?
Old 04-15-2003, 09:45 AM   #13
Super Ugly
High School JV

"I could post dozens of pictures of asshat anti-war protesters and their signs, yet their appears to be only one picture of a pro-war idiot."

Oh, but what a picture ...

And more importantly, can anyone tell me where I can get a bandana like THAT?
Super Ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 09:49 AM   #14
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Fritz: Weren't Baio and Eagleburger both on Kissinger's staff? If not I'm sorry I posted so off topic.
Old 04-15-2003, 09:55 AM   #15
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Originally posted by JPhillips
Fritz: Weren't Baio and Eagleburger both on Kissinger's staff?

No, that was Eagleburger and Biaz (I get them mixed up too) on Kissenger's staff when he was with State. Flip Wilson and Larry Storch were with him while he was the NSA.

Quote:
Originally posted by JPhillips
If not I'm sorry I posted so off topic.

Its getting to be a bad habit with you. Quit it or I might have to colossal squid you to death. (by "death" I mean "so much that it frustrates you." In no way should this be considered a death threat.)
Old 04-15-2003, 10:05 AM   #16
Killebrew
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz

Haha!
Killebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 02:05 PM   #17
Franklinnoble
Banned

It never ceases to amaze me how threads get jacked around here... we go from "Will the US Invade Syria?" to "Was Scott Baio on Henry Kissenger's Staff" (insert lewd pun here) in less than ten posts.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 02:56 PM   #18
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by Franklinnoble
It never ceases to amaze me how threads get jacked around here... we go from "Will the US Invade Syria?" to "Was Scott Baio on Henry Kissenger's Staff" (insert lewd pun here) in less than ten posts.

welcome to the internet generation. 10 posts is about as long as my attention span lasts anyway
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 06:16 PM   #19
TroyF
Coordinator

Cam,

I find it funny as well. Of course that guy probably didn't stop traffic, prevent people from going to a hospital, or destroy some newspaper stands either. . . I'm shocked anyone bothered to take a picture of him at all.

As for Syria, the US won't be attacking anytime soon. After watching the Iraq war, I doubt that many governments in the middle east will challenge the US, Israel or England for awhile. If any of those cities has a major terrorist attack against them that gets traced back to Syria, their leadership had better move out of town quick.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 06:55 PM   #20
couriers

Quote:
Originally posted by TroyF
I find it funny as well. Of course that guy probably didn't stop traffic, prevent people from going to a hospital, or destroy some newspaper stands either. . . I'm shocked anyone bothered to take a picture of him at all.

That is simply because he is a Grade A MORON.