Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-15-2003, 07:47 AM   #1
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Married by America - A New Reality TV Low?

Yes, I watched it. Every week. My wife has become obsessed with these shows, so while surfing the web, downloading bootlegs, and simming OOTP, I've watched this (and other, believe it or not worse, reality shows).

The ending of this one last night, though, I thought really went too far.

To sum up the show, the first couple of weeks were in front of an audience as the show matched males and females with potential wedding partners. After questioning by friends and family of the person being "set up" (pun intended?), the audience chose from the two left. I think they had 5 couples who "won."

From here, they sent them to a secluded ranch somewhere, and each week a panel of 3 judges (not sure who they were) asked questions and voted one couple off until there were two left. The deal was that only one couple would win a $500,000 wedding package (house, money, car), but - of course - they had to get married to win, and the winner wouldn't be announced until after the ceremonies.

The two couples left were interesting in their dissimilarities. One couple was a decent looking young lady who had previously posed in Playboy, matched up with a mid 30's-looking unemployed guy. I say the chick was decent looking because although she had a great body, her face was disturbing similar to Chris Kattan in drag. And that ruined her for me. There really didn't seem to be much of a spark between them - the guy seemed desperate to give his life some direction, and she might as well be it - and the families were polar opposites. Her family is from Lon Gisland and her father was scary. I'm sure he could have had someone take out this guy's kneecaps if he wanted.

The second couple seemed to have an instant spark, at least sexually speaking. The chick fell hard for the guy, but he made it clear that he could not commit to telling her he loved her unless he felt it. She was a bit wild, with a knack for saying some really out of place things at the wrong time. She also had this crazy, bandana-headed roommate who acted like her surogate father, or maybe he had pent-up feelings for her, I don't know - but he was crazy and emotional. The guy looked disturbing similar to Peter Scolari, and I kept waiting for Julia Duffy to come around the corner and this guy to starting giggling like a school girl.

So they both get to the wedding day. The first couple goes through their vows to each other, and then the Playboy chick decides she can't say yes when the time comes. Neither of them seems too broken up about it - clearly the families were giddy about it - and the guy looked like he lost his puppy (and a way to get a job?). I saw that one coming a mile away.

The second couple, though, seemed like a train wreck waiting to happen. It was clear she was going to say yes, so the only question was whether the guy was going to go through with it and see what happens, or bail. Again, they get to the altar, say their vows - and his included a line like, "I'm ready to take the next step in our journey together" - she says yes, then he backs out when it's his turn. She's stunned and crushed, the bandana'd wierdo goes off, breaking stuff, calling him a loser, etc., she runs off crying and devastated. It was not a good scene.

Anyway, the way the second one ended made it clear to me that they were forced (or coaxed) to go as far as they did before breaking it off. Why the guy would go through his vows before contradicting what he had said a minute before was impossible to understand. he had made his lack of feelings clear several times, so it was clear to me that he knew he should (or wouldn't) go through with it. I just thought the show went too far - in a Jenny Jones way - to get ratings and draw out what was obviously never meant to get as far as it did, further than any other reality show I've seen.

It was clear by her reaction that the bride-to-be was not in on the producer's joke. Considering both couples went to the very end before someone called it off - at the exact same moment in the ceremony - makes me think it was undoubtedly forced to occur. I just got a really bad taste in my mouth from that ending.

I know what everyone thinks of these shows to begin with, and I'm not saying I am surprised by any of it, but this one just felt wrong. I don't have a problem with people being taken advantage of if they know what they are getting themselves into, but this one seemed to go beyond that.

Was I the only one who was forced to watch this crap?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 07:56 AM   #2
PilotMan
Head Coach

Well I didn't watch it, but heard about it from my wife. She had watched quite a bit of the show this year and I tried, but just couldn't. There seemed to be something wrong with the show. Like I was watching things that I shouldn't and hearing things that I don't want to hear.

In the end it was very sad. Its always sad to see someone hurt, because I think we can all relate to that in some way. Its sad that it is at her expense. I'm sure though that it will make good water cooler talk and give FOX the ratings that it needs to produce more crap reality shows.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 08:00 AM   #3
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally posted by PilotMan
Well I didn't watch it, but heard about it from my wife. She had watched quite a bit of the show this year and I tried, but just couldn't. There seemed to be something wrong with the show. Like I was watching things that I shouldn't and hearing things that I don't want to hear.

In the end it was very sad. Its always sad to see someone hurt, because I think we can all relate to that in some way. Its sad that it is at her expense. I'm sure though that it will make good water cooler talk and give FOX the ratings that it needs to produce more crap reality shows.

Actually, I think this was a ratings bomb. At least it was early on I know. I don't think it ever picked up.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 08:04 AM   #4
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

I had never heard of the show until last night. Saw most of the episode and I didnt flip TOO much during it.

Why would the 2nd chick want to marry a guy who fully admitted he wasnt in love with her at the time? Makes no damn sense....
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 08:21 AM   #5
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by bosshogg23
Why would the 2nd chick want to marry a guy who fully admitted he wasnt in love with her at the time? Makes no damn sense....

$$$$$$$
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 08:51 AM   #6
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

We watched a bit of the first episode, then never got into it. I didn't even know it was still on the air until last night, when I watched a few minutes of the big breakdown at the end. Not very entertaining, but I would have watched anything as distraction while waiting for double OT to begin.

Playoff hockey... now that's reality TV.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 09:01 AM   #7
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I saw a little of this last night while out for dinner. And my reaction was a lot like yours, it looked like a new low for reality TV.
Old 04-15-2003, 10:10 AM   #8
Killebrew
H.S. Freshman Team

It's pitiful, but people eat this shit up. You may think it's lowbrow, but your neighbour is probably watching it right now.
Killebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 10:15 AM   #9
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally posted by bosshogg23

Putting aside the money part of it, I really think she felt like they would get married and work toward being an "in love" couple. I just think he was afraid that if that never happened, things would not work out well. And he was right. I just don't know why he would make such an ass of himself on national TV, unless he was coaxed to go through with it until a certain point, and then pull the trigger. There's always the chance that it was a spontaneous, split-second decision - but given how the other ceremony ended, at the exact same point, I just don't believe it.

He should have told her way before it got to that point that he wasn't going to go through with it to spare her feelings - even if it was the night before - ratings be damned. Maybe he under-estimated how she would react, or thought that given the circumstances, she would understand? Who knows. I just knew the bandana'd guy was going to go off, and he didn't disappoint.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-15-2003, 10:28 AM   #10
A-Husker-4-Life
College Prospect

I watched the end of the show and all I have to say is," Reality TV is just started to suck, they can't think of anything better to air" "What ever happened to the A-team, and Dukes of hazzard type of shows, or the Next Cheers... I'm sick and tried of reality TV, it just reached a new all-time low... And Fox isn't stopping either, did anybody see the new show coming out? Masking up a bunch of guy's faces and a women chooses one of them without seeing their faces.... Fxxking Stupid if you ask me, plus Monica Lu Lu is going to be the Host...... A extreme all-time low....
Old 04-15-2003, 10:37 AM   #11
Ksyrup

The way they are going about the Mr. Personality show is just plain ridiculous. Seeing those guys out in public - at a restaurant, on the beach, at the pool - with masks on is just incredibly moronic (or moranic is you prefer). If I didn't know any better, and it was dark out, I'd think the guy was a rapist.

I'd love to see an unsuspecting good samaritan tackle the guy from behind as he tries to get a goodnight kiss. Now THAT would be compelling reality TV!

Alas, I will no doubt be watching this one as well.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-15-2003 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-15-2003, 11:32 AM   #12
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally posted by Ksyrup
The way they are going about the Mr. Personality show is just plain ridiculous. Seeing those guys out in public - at a restaurant, on the beach, at the pool - with masks on is just incredibly moronic (or moranic is you prefer). If I didn't know any better, and it was dark out, I'd think the guy was a rapist.

I'd love to see an unsuspecting good samaritan tackle the guy from behind as he tries to get a goodnight kiss. Now THAT would be compelling reality TV!

Alas, I will no doubt be watching this one as well.

My take on this one is how did they get that ugly guy to agree to be the "ugly guy" in the commercial? That guy must not have any self-esteem, which of course is what they look for in contestants on these show (going hand-in-hand with too much self-esteem.)
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 11:44 AM   #13
Ksyrup

I often wonder that while watching a variety of TV shows, commercials, and movies. I'd like to be the agent for a bunch of ugly people - there are plenty of parts for them out there.

You have to wonder how the casting call works:

"We need a fat slob with a face that would kill his momma."

"Got just the guy! I'll send him on down."
Old 04-15-2003, 11:51 AM   #14
bbor
Pro Starter

They really screwed up on the script for this one

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 02:31 PM   #15
sabotai
General Manager

"She also had this crazy, bandana-headed roommate who acted like her surogate father, or maybe he had pent-up feelings for her, I don't know"

Considering the guy was gay, I don't think it was the second one.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 02:36 PM   #16
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by sabotai
"She also had this crazy, bandana-headed roommate who acted like her surogate father, or maybe he had pent-up feelings for her, I don't know"

Considering the guy was gay, I don't think it was the second one.

Maybe he was crushed about losing out on those three-somes he had planned.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 02:41 PM   #17
Ksyrup

I kinda figured he was gay, but I don't recall that coming up in the show and didn't feel like bringing it up without knowing for sure.