Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-14-2003, 09:53 PM   #1
kcchief19
Pro Starter

OT: Bill Self Likely Going to Kansas

The major sites don't seem to be on this yet, but all indications are that Illinois coach Bill Self is going to be the next head coach at Kansas. The radio station that broke the story that Williams was leaving is quoting their same source as saying that KU has already contacted Self and that they hope to have an announcement within the next two days.

As a Tiger, I'm more or less happy to see Roy go, but I'm not particularly happy with Self going to KU. Good in that it will help even the score in the MU-Illini Border War, but bad in that he's a good coach who likely will help KU not miss a beat.

This is so far the scenario that a lot of coaches were predicting at the Final Four. The end of the scenario is Tom Crean to Illinois. Your guess is as good as mine on who will go to Marquette.

kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 10:01 PM   #2
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Mid Major Big time coachs will probably be Marquette's target.. Mark Few... Or Siu's head coach.. would be my guess

Hell, i think Mark Few could be considered for Kansas
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 10:06 PM   #3
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Damn, they've chosen a replacement already? I could see where a coach from a quote on quote Smaller Conference or Mid-Major (God I hate that term) would jump right on the opportunity but the Coach at a Top Tier Hoops Program like Illinois?

Is Self not having fun in Champaign or what?
Old 04-14-2003, 10:10 PM   #4
Swaggs
Coordinator

I don't see any good reason for Self to move to Kansas, unless it is purely for the money.

Self is in a good situation now and is the golden boy at Illinois Even if he is great at Kansas, he probably won't measure up to Williams' success.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 10:12 PM   #5
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

DOLA AMIGOS!!

Hey, why not Steve Lavin?

Or, for a real anal twister, how about Matt Doherty? Now that would be an Instant Classic.. No one would ever forget that moment in Sports History.

MATT DOHERTY 4 KU!!
Old 04-14-2003, 10:59 PM   #6
Craptacular
College Starter

Crean better not to go to frickin' Illinois.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 11:00 PM   #7
Craptacular
College Starter

Dola, the earlier rumors I saw said that if Crean left, Bruce Pearl could move a few blocks south and west from UW-Milwaukee to Marquette.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 11:11 PM   #8
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Ever since the North Carolina job was open and rumors about Williams taking it, radio stations all over Chicago have talked about Self leaving for Kansas.

He really is a bigshot around here though, it'd be a shame to lose him right now. In my opinion he's the best young coach in the game today. He's got a very talented young team at Illinois, and his players really enjoy playing for him.

Here's hoping he doesn't go...
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 11:16 PM   #9
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

I realize there is probably a lot more $$$ to be made at KU, as well as more attention paid to your program on the National Level, but still, why would you want to follow a Roy Williams if you're someone like Tom Crean or Bill Self?

You've got an opportunity to make your own lasting mark of greastness at the school you're currently at, something that probably won't ever happen at Kansas because of the expectations from the success that Williams had.

I understand coaches wanting to coach at the highest level possible, but if you're already at a Top 20 program like a Marquette or a Illinois, why do you feel the need to go to KU? A National Title is defintely within reach at where you currently reside.

Last edited by MylesKnight : 04-14-2003 at 11:17 PM.
MylesKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 11:16 PM   #10
MrBug708
Head Coach

Steve Lavin? Poor Illi fans

Mark Few will not leave Gonzaga for Illinois or Marquette. Gonzaga is perfect for Few
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 11:18 PM   #11
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

MrBug, why is Gonzaga so good... while Wazzu and UW are so pitiful?
Old 04-15-2003, 06:30 AM   #12
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Here was Self's statement.

"I have not been contacted by Kansas. There ae some programs in America we won't be able to match tradition with over time. But that doesn't mean we can't accomplish some great things here and be considered among that group. We're in a great situation, and in the immediate future Illinois has the opportunity to springboard nationwide among the great programs. I'm the coach at Illinois. We're happy where we are. Should anything happen in the future-a year, two years, four years from now-we'll deal with it honestly and openly. Illinois has been awesome to us, and there have been a lot of people who have gone out of their way to make sure we know they like the direction this program is going."

And the likely candidates should he leave are, Marquette's Tom Crean, Mike Brey, Butler's Todd lIckliter, Oregon's Ernie Kent, Xavier's Thad Matta, and former Bulls head coach Tim Floyd.

Got all this out of the Chicago Tribune.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 08:02 AM   #13
Butter
Coordinator

Marquette is not traditionally a top-20 program, though... more like one of those teams that has a real good year every 3 or 4, but usually gets in the tournament, kinda like Xavier.

Crean should get out, now, if the opportunity is there.
Old 04-15-2003, 10:07 AM   #14
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Don't forget that Self was an assistant at Kansas, under Larry Brown if I am not mistaken. He was an assistant on the '85 Danny Manning team too, I believe.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 10:37 AM   #15
KWhit
Coordinator

I think Kansas should hire Jim Harrick.

KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote