Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-14-2003, 05:57 PM   #1
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

WNBA Strike/Lockout

This is not a comment on the merit (or lack thereof) of professional women's baskeball.

This is a comment on the kind of delusional world in which the WNBA Player's Association (or whoever they are) are living.

Right now, the WNBA does not make money (unless things have changed from last I heard). However, like most businesses, the NBA is willing to lose money on the league for a while while it develops the product. At some point, unless the NBA was doing this as a charity, I expect that it planned for the WNBA to start generating income for the league. So the WNBA as a concept does have some value to the league in terms of potential income.

But, right here right now, the league is a drain on the bottom line. Why then, do the WNBA players believe that they have the leverage to play hardball bargaining? Demanding that the other side accept your terms or you are walking out makes sense when you offer a lot of value to the other side besides cashing their checks.

Maybe the women deserve more money; maybe they do not. I have not been paying attention. But it seems like a little money to play basketball is better than no money to play basketball.

albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 06:05 PM   #2
Havok
College Starter

They should just be thankful they have jobs,

no offense to women but women's basketball sucks big time. I watched 1 game once for about 15 mins.
Old 04-14-2003, 06:23 PM   #3
mckerney
Coordinator

Re: WNBA Strike/Lockout

Quote:
Originally posted by albionmoonlight
Maybe the women deserve more money; maybe they do not. I have not been paying attention.

Simply put, if the business is not making money, I don't see how they could possibly deserve more money.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 06:29 PM   #4
KWhit
Coordinator

Re: Re: WNBA Strike/Lockout

Quote:
Originally posted by mckerney
Simply put, if the business is not making money, I don't see how they could possibly deserve more money.

Have you ever heard of Major League Baseball? How about United airlines?

The goal of unions is to make their members more money - even to the point of driving their employers out of business.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 06:31 PM   #5
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
The NBA has previously said that they will call off the WNBA season if the dispute not sttled by a certain date. I have every reason to think that they will.
Old 04-14-2003, 06:33 PM   #6
CAsterling
High School JV

Hope they do call off the season, less basketball on TV is something I want to happen
Old 04-14-2003, 07:28 PM   #7
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

WNBA not playing?

if a tree falls in a forest. . .
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 07:32 PM   #8
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Re: WNBA not playing?

Quote:
Originally posted by damnMikeBrown

Would it get more press coverage than the WNBA?
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 07:42 PM   #9
oykib
College Starter

Re: Re: Re: WNBA Strike/Lockout

Quote:
Originally posted by KWhit
Have you ever heard of Major League Baseball? How about United airlines?

The goal of unions is to make their members more money - even to the point of driving their employers out of business.

Major League Baseball makes loads of money. Depending on who you talk to, MLB makes just a bit more or just a bit less than the NFL.

And the airlines pay out what they do to their workers because of concessions made back when they were making money hand over fist ( Where the hell does the expression 'hand over fist' come from, anyway ).

The point being: you can't get blood from a stone.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 08:28 PM   #10
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Re: WNBA not playing?

Quote:
Originally posted by damnMikeBrown

That was the first damn thing that came to my mind when I first heard about this..

"We Got Next"... uh, not so fast WNBA'ers.
Old 04-15-2003, 12:20 AM   #11
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Re: Re: Re: Re: WNBA Strike/Lockout

Quote:
Originally posted by oykib
( Where the hell does the expression 'hand over fist' come from, anyway ).

from word-detective.com

Quote:
"Although "hand over fist" is almost always heard today in the context of making money rapidly and in great quantity, its origins lie in a field that was (and is) very unlikely to land its practitioners on the cover of Fortune. The original form, back in the 18th century, was "hand over hand," and it referred to climbing or pulling a rope or line aboard ship in the natural fashion, by grasping it with one hand while the other hand was moved forward to get a new grip.

By the early 19th century, "hand over hand" was being used figuratively to mean "with steady progress," as one ship might be said overtake another "hand over hand" in a race. At about the same time the variant "hand over fist" appeared with the same meaning, apparently because the hand holding the rope is closed in a fist while the free hand is open while it moves forward. I hope that's clear -- it isn't easy explaining this stuff while you're having flashbacks to 6th grade gym class.

By the late 19th century, "hand over fist" was being used as a metaphor for steady progress in any endeavor, especially in making money. But as any student of high finance knows, simply making steady money is for chumps. The goal is to make pots of the stuff very quickly, and so by the early 20th century "making money hand over fist" had shifted its meaning to "making a great deal of money very quickly."
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 12:23 AM   #12
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Wow. I got some useful knowledge for the day when I clicked on a WNBA thread against my better judgement. Woohoo! Go Jon!

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 12:30 AM   #13
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Who wants to be the Martha Burke of the Wnba? Seriously.. someone needs to petition to be able to play in the Wnba as a man..

A 6'5 250 pound guy could be like the Shaq of the Wnba
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote