Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-10-2005, 06:28 PM   #1
enigma
H.S. Freshman Team

Enigma 43

Please phrase your answer in the form of an answer.

Yes, I Don't Know, I Don't Know, Maybe, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes.
Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Maybe, Yes, Yes, I Don't Know, I Don't Know.
I Don't Know, I Don't Know, I Don't Know, Yes, No, No, No, Yes.
Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, No, No, Yes, No, Yes, Yes, No.
No, No, No, Yes, Yes, Yes, Maybe, No, Yes, No, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Maybe.
Yes, Yes, No, Yes, No, No, Yes, No, No, Yes, No, No, No, No, Yes, No.
Yes, No, No, Yes, No, Yes, No, Maybe, No, No, Yes, Yes, Yes, No.
Yes, No, No, Yes, No, Yes, Yes, No, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Maybe, Yes, No, Yes, Yes.
Yes, No, Yes, Yes, No, No, Yes, No.

What is the question? Remove all the spaces. You should have 24 letters.

Remove the two letters corresponding to the details surrounding the first response on the last line. Leave those spaces blank for now.

Now, remove the two letters corresponding to the details surrounding the first response on the second-to-last line. Again, leave those spaces blank for now.

Who failed Remedial Science IA in High School, and what is his favorite word? Remove all instances of any letters that appear in that word. Again, leave those spaces blank for now.

One letter appears four times in the remaining phrase. Remove the first and third instances. Again, leave those spaces blank.

Major Barbara and Pygmalion are works of a major playright. He's also known, somewhat, for something he won't eat. What is it? Remove it from the puzzle, being careful to remove those letters in order, left to right. Again, leave those spaces blank for now.

Don May led all scorers in arguably the most important of his career. How much did his team lose by that day? Remove that letter.

Now, condense the letters and find out what the enigma's dog said to the enigma after he created this puzzle.
The FOFC Enigma is a self-repeating puzzle system. If you know the answer to the current puzzle, sign on to FOFC with the username "enigma" using the answer (in all lower case letters, with no spacing) as the password. If you're right -- you control the enigma, and may post the next puzzle under that username. The person who solves the enigma should post in the puzzle thread noting both the fact that the puzzle is solved, as well as the solution to the puzzle.

enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 06:47 PM   #2
vtbub
College Starter

Homer Simpson failed remedial science and his favorite word is D'oh

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 06:50 PM   #3
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Major Barbara and Pygmalion = George Bernard Shaw
vegetarian...so no meat.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08

Last edited by gottimd : 09-10-2005 at 06:52 PM.
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 07:44 PM   #4
Lonnie
High School Varsity

There are 108 answers listed.

They are broken into 9 lines that are from 8 to 17 answers each.

Thinking sports:
Could the lines be years and each answer from a game that year? What would be a maybe or a I don't know in sports? Pitching starts?

Watching Vince Young go crazy right now, I'll ponder it some more.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:00 PM   #5
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma
Don May led all scorers in arguably the most important of his career. How much did his team lose by that day? Remove that letter.

After doing some googling, I've found this; http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegebas...earbyyear/1967

Don May scored the most points (21) in the 1967 NCAA Championship Game for Dayton against the Lew Alcindor led UCLA Bruins. UCLA won 79-64.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 10:28 AM   #6
enigma
H.S. Freshman Team

The record is three months and two days. We're off to a rousing start here.

Looks like the solving will be a piece of cake once you figure out the question.
The FOFC Enigma is a self-repeating puzzle system. If you know the answer to the current puzzle, sign on to FOFC with the username "enigma" using the answer (in all lower case letters, with no spacing) as the password. If you're right -- you control the enigma, and may post the next puzzle under that username. The person who solves the enigma should post in the puzzle thread noting both the fact that the puzzle is solved, as well as the solution to the puzzle.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:49 AM   #7
rkmsuf
Head Coach

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?
Old 09-12-2005, 02:51 PM   #8
Lonnie
High School Varsity

More notes to keep us going.

The amount of answers from each section:

Note: there are no "I don't know" answers after the 3rd section. So the answers get more finite as the question is asked.

The "two letters corresponding to the details surrounding" makes me think of an acronym for a state, college, or league/division. TX, CA ... UT OU.. AL NL. any other ideas of two letter things that can correspond to details?

We know/think that m,e,a,t are 4 of the 24 letters. It is also resonable that d, o, h appear at least once each.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:08 PM   #9
mhass
High School Varsity

Edit: to remove the duplicated and add that 9 lines could be 9 innings.

Additionally, 108 sounds a lot like a pitch count to me. Could yes/no/maybe be strike/ball/contact?

Last edited by mhass : 09-12-2005 at 04:10 PM.
mhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 11:02 PM   #10
enigma
H.S. Freshman Team

C'mon, people. This ain't that hard. The distribution of different answers should lead you away from frequent trinary events like strikes, balls and contact.

Where's the guy who started this enigma nonsense? He should be solving these front and center.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:52 AM   #11
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
C'mon, people. This ain't that hard. The distribution of different answers should lead you away from frequent trinary events like strikes, balls and contact.

Where's the guy who started this enigma nonsense? He should be solving these front and center.

First time checking out this puzzle... Uh, I guess this is confirmation that the 9 lines do indeed represent innings. Or maybe not.

*bump*

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."

Last edited by ThunderingHERD : 09-21-2005 at 12:53 AM.
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 10:44 AM   #12
QuikSand
lolzcat

Okay -- not much to add, just some speculations:

Nine lines, certainly do seem like innings makes sense, but if they don't represent balls/strikes... what else in baseball makes sense here? Lefty/righty? Hit/out?

The spread of Yes, No, and then the occasional Maybe or Idon't Know is obviously imbalanced. Many more Yes and No entries than the others. I don't have anything to build on this, just hoping that poinitng it out might help. These probably can't corresnpond to any traditional four-option set like N/S/E/W, or else we'd expect to see a more even distribution in almost any seting.

Difference between Maybe and I Don't Know -- are we dealing with some information that is so old as to be incomplete? Sports records from very early times might not have enough detail to tell us if, for instance, a certain player was right-handed. Could those be the I Don't Know entries?

As for the final clue -- if enigma is listening to what his dog is telling him, I'm a little bit worried about trying to get inside his head to begin with.

Little help, if any, I fear. Mostly just a bump.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 08:34 AM   #13
QuikSand
lolzcat

Bump?
Old 10-20-2005, 02:46 PM   #14
Buzzbee
College Starter

Yes, No, Maybe, I don't know seem like they could relate to HOF inductees or possible HOF inductees.

Along those lines I was thinking that this might represent some accomplishment like a no-hitter, and whether those pitchers are in the HOF. It might be broken down by decade or something. The maybe's lower in the rows might represent players who might get in via the Veteran's Committee.

Just tossing out ideas.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:12 PM   #15
QuikSand
lolzcat

Good thinking, Buzz -- but how does "I Don't Know" fit into anything along those lines, in the internet age?

My best guess is, if these are to be taken literally, that the IDK answers might relate to something that happened a long time ago... where detail is not available widely. Or something of that sort.

Bump, anyway... this thing is not working out too well, Mr. enigma...
Old 10-28-2005, 12:47 PM   #16
Buzzbee
College Starter

John Smoltz, Rafael Palmeiro, Mark McGwire = I don't know
Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds, Rickey Henderson = Maybe

Roger definitely will be, but isn't yet, so Maybe might be appropriate. Pete Rose was going to be in the hall, but isn't, so you can't give a definite yes. Basically players who will most likely be in, but aren't yet.

Smoltz probably won't be, but might be considered a bubble player, kinda like Dale Murphy (gee, can you tell I'm a Braves fan). McGwire has the homers, but does he have anything else to help propel him into the hall? I don't know.

Just a theory, and probably way off track. Your guess is probably the more likely one.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:51 PM   #17
Buzzbee
College Starter

Dola - If baseball is involved, then those records would have to be really old wouldn't they? I'm no baseball statistician, but aren't the baseball records pretty damn complete, even for games in the earlier 1900's? Unless we are talking about some award that was created in the '40s or '50s. In that case the Maybe or I Don't Know could simply be a result of no clear cut winner.

Another thought might be NCAA Football National Championships. Back in the early years there were several polls and often multiple champs were declared. With the emergence of the AP and UPI polls, that was diminished somewhat in the later 1900's.

Again, just food for thought. Hoping to stir something up.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:01 AM   #18
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:

I don't get much from this... it's tradition for enigma to leave hidden hints in the things posted in the puzzle, but I don't see much here.

Wondering if we are off in completely the wrong direction.

*bump*
Old 11-02-2005, 12:17 PM   #19
QuikSand
lolzcat

1, ?, ?, M, 1, 1, 1, 1.
1, 1, 1, 1, 1, M, 1, 1, ?, ?.
?, ?, ?, 1, 0, 0, 0, 1.
1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 0, 0, 1, 0, 1, 1, 0.
0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 1, M, 0, 1, 0, 1, 1, 1, 1, M.
1, 1, 0, 1, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0.
1, 0, 0, 1, 0, 1, 0, M, 0, 0, 1, 1, 1, 0.
1, 0, 0, 1, 0, 1, 1, 0, 1, 1, 1, 1, M, 1, 0, 1, 1.
1, 0, 1, 1, 0, 0, 1, 0

1 = Yes (57)
0 = No (38)
M = Maybe (6)
? = I Don’t Know (7)

Total entries = 108

Does this help in any way?

Maybe there is one thing in sports that has happened exactly 108 times? The World Series? A college football championship? Just hoping to jostle something loose…
Old 11-02-2005, 12:23 PM   #20
dacman
College Benchwarmer

College football jumps out at me, maybe 2 teams like Ohio St v. Michigan where

Yes = team wins
No = team loses
Maybe = tie
I Don't know = didn't play that year
Old 11-02-2005, 12:26 PM   #21
dacman
College Benchwarmer

Yep, it's Ohio State v. Michigan!!!!!

Yes = Michigan win (starting in 1897)
No= Michigan lost

edit: got it backwards

Last edited by dacman : 11-02-2005 at 01:08 PM.
dacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 01:18 PM   #22
Lonnie
High School Varsity

Nice dacman! Was that a shot in the dark on the teams?

So now we need to figure out the question. I think you have the team backwards, Michigan won in 1897, but it all lines up. They didn't play 1913-1917 which are all "I don't know" answers. I went through 1938 and it was all correct so that's enough for me.

Yes = Michigan won
No = Michigan lost
Maybe = tie game
I don't know = no game on record

Ohio State has them all in the record book starting on page 24. http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools...rd-section.pdf

The question has to be 24 letters long not counting spaces, so "Did Michigan win?" doesn't work. Let the minds start churning again.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:20 PM   #23
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

"Did Michigan beat Ohio State?"
Old 11-02-2005, 01:27 PM   #24
enigma
H.S. Freshman Team

The enigma has been solved. Details to come.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:31 PM   #25
Lonnie
High School Varsity

Grats!
Old 11-04-2005, 03:53 PM   #26
enigma
H.S. Freshman Team

I knew I shouldn't have trusted the quick reply box!
Old 11-04-2005, 03:55 PM   #27
enigma
H.S. Freshman Team

I have to leave for the WE in just a couple of minutes, so it'll be Monday at the earliest for the solution to be posted. Maybe I'll think about the next puzzle in the interim.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:17 PM   #28
Lonnie
High School Varsity

Ping Enigma....
Old 11-15-2005, 01:32 PM   #29
QuikSand
lolzcat

Well, he said "maybe" he'd think about it... guess he didn't.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:52 PM   #30
Huckleberry
College Starter

What were the two letters related to the 1997 and 1980 games?

1997 was a national championship season, of course, per the AP Poll. 1980 was an undefeated Big Ten championship, but they finished 10-2 after the Rose Bowl win.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 02:23 PM   #31
enigma
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Please phrase your answer in the form of an answer.

Or in the form of a question I gather.

Quote:
Yes, I Don't Know, I Don't Know, Maybe, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes.
Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Maybe, Yes, Yes, I Don't Know, I Don't Know.
I Don't Know, I Don't Know, I Don't Know, Yes, No, No, No, Yes.
Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, No, No, Yes, No, Yes, Yes, No.
No, No, No, Yes, Yes, Yes, Maybe, No, Yes, No, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Maybe.
Yes, Yes, No, Yes, No, No, Yes, No, No, Yes, No, No, No, No, Yes, No.
Yes, No, No, Yes, No, Yes, No, Maybe, No, No, Yes, Yes, Yes, No.
Yes, No, No, Yes, No, Yes, Yes, No, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Maybe, Yes, No, Yes, Yes.
Yes, No, Yes, Yes, No, No, Yes, No.

What is the question? Remove all the spaces. You should have 24 letters.

The answers above relate to the year by year outcome of the Michigan and Ohio State football rivalry.
Yes=Michigan win, No=Michigan loss, Maybe=tie, I don't know=game not played that year.
The question is "Did Michigan beat Ohio State?" Removing all spaces leaves:
Code:
didmichiganbeatohiostate

Quote:
Remove the two letters corresponding to the details surrounding the first response on the last line. Leave those spaces blank for now.
Working backwards from the last response and assuming that it corresponds to the most recent game played (2004), the first response on the last line corresponds to the game played in 1997. In 1997 Michigan defeated Ohio State 20-14. Removing the 14th and 20th letter leaves:
Code:
didmichiganbe tohio tate

Quote:
Now, remove the two letters corresponding to the details surrounding the first response on the second-to-last line. Again, leave those spaces blank for now.

Using the same method as the previous step, the reponse in question is the 1966 game in which Michigan won 17-3. Removing the 3rd and 17th letters:
Code:
di michiganbe to io tate

Quote:
Who failed Remedial Science IA in High School, and what is his favorite word? Remove all instances of any letters that appear in that word. Again, leave those spaces blank for now.

Homer Simpson, and his favorite word is "D'oh." There is a slight problem here, though. Either the previous enigma spells it "dough" or the enigma was not solved completely correctly. Either way, if just "d'oh" is used, an undesired 'g' remains. (Where's the solution PM?!)
Removing all instances of d-o-u-g-h leaves:
Code:
i mic i anbe t i tate

Quote:
One letter appears four times in the remaining phrase. Remove the first and third instances. Again, leave those spaces blank.

The letter 'i' appears four times, removing the first and third leaves:
Code:
mic anbe t i tate

Quote:
Major Barbara and Pygmalion are works of a major playright. He's also known, somewhat, for something he won't eat. What is it? Remove it from the puzzle, being careful to remove those letters in order, left to right. Again, leave those spaces blank for now.

George Bernard Shaw wrote the works above and is a vegitarian, thus he doesn't eat meat. Removing m-e-a-t in order leaves:
Code:
ic anb t i t e

Quote:
Don May scored the most points (21) in the 1967 NCAA Basketball Tournament Championship Game, a 79-64 loss to UCLA. Removing the 15th letter leaves:
Code:
ic anb i t e

Quote:
Now, condense the letters and find out what the enigma's dog said to the enigma after he created this puzzle.

icanbite

Last edited by enigma : 11-30-2005 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:45 PM   #32
QuikSand
lolzcat

bump?
Old 11-30-2005, 10:18 AM   #33
QuikSand
lolzcat

So has our new enigma given up?

You...uh... do understand how this works, right?