Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-29-2005, 02:18 PM   #51
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Re: the onside kick, what I found interesting is that Madden and Michaels said that Cowher told them he was thinking of doing an onside kick to start the game. If that doesn't smack of "Division I-AA, homecoming game, we've got no chance"-type game planning, I don't know what does.

I thought that same thing.... what better way to say to your squad "we're totally fucked unless some of these trick plays work" than an onside kick to start a half.

Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 02:20 PM   #52
bhlloy
Coordinator

The onside kick was unreal. Especially as everything suggested the Colts were ready for it. I'd fire a head coach for that decision.

Very little playcalling imagination from the Steelers. I was screaming at the TV with every screen/draw play. The Colts have a 5'8 safety and your QB has a big arm and you are losing. Throw the god damn ball down the fricking field.

Having said that, don't take anything away from the Colts. They look very impressive. I can't see anybody hanging with them in the playoffs.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 02:21 PM   #53
rkmsuf
Head Coach

It was 16-7. Who does that onside crap at that score? You stop them and then try and at least get it to one score. Pit had pretty much completely shut the Colts offense down in the second quarter.

There was no reason for it. Basically Cowher paniced in a big game.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:22 PM   #54
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I also thought it was a big mistake to stick with Bettis as long as they did. I would have gone to Parker in the 2nd quarter to see if they could deal with a quicker runner earlier than they did.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 02:22 PM   #55
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
If my grandmother had a dick, she'd be my grandfather

True, what's done is done, but the original point that kicking onside was incredibly dumb still stands. You have the ball and might score versus they have the ball and will almost certainly score and have a far better chance of recovering. I don't see how it makes sense unless you're down by a lot more than 9.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 02:22 PM   #56
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
There was no reason for it. Basically Cowher paniced in a big game.

But it was pre-meditated panicking, if Madden/Michaels are to be believed.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-29-2005, 02:24 PM   #57
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
I also thought it was a big mistake to stick with Bettis as long as they did. I would have gone to Parker in the 2nd quarter to see if they could deal with a quicker runner earlier than they did.

That is the problem with the Steelers. If you can stop the run they have little other firepower. I was surprised how the Colts stood up to the physicality of Pit and stoned the power game. Pretty impressive by an undersized defense.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:24 PM   #58
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
But it was pre-meditated panicking, if Madden/Michaels are to be believed.

Then that's even worse. He paniced the day before the game.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:25 PM   #59
Ksyrup

Maybe he panicked when he saw Madden.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:30 PM   #60
Daimyo
College Starter

I don't think the onside kick was such a bad call. The Colts are not a field position team and really getting the ball at their 20 or the 50 doesn't change things as much as it might with other teams. Pittsburg had just been dominated in the first half and needed a spark.

As Ksyrup mentioned the game was not nearly as close as the final score and the Colts looked to have the game in control despite the relatively small half time lead. The only time the Steeler offense ever threatened the possession started at Indy's 7 yard line... their vaunted running attack had yielded 1.8 YPC in the first half... they desperately needed something big to happen and an onside kick recovery would have given them that.

Last edited by Daimyo : 11-29-2005 at 02:31 PM.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 02:55 PM   #61
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo
I don't think the onside kick was such a bad call. The Colts are not a field position team and really getting the ball at their 20 or the 50 doesn't change things as much as it might with other teams. Pittsburg had just been dominated in the first half and needed a spark.

As Ksyrup mentioned the game was not nearly as close as the final score and the Colts looked to have the game in control despite the relatively small half time lead. The only time the Steeler offense ever threatened the possession started at Indy's 7 yard line... their vaunted running attack had yielded 1.8 YPC in the first half... they desperately needed something big to happen and an onside kick recovery would have given them that.

I would think that that argues for the opposite decision. Your offense is not moving the ball, what makes you think they'll do anything with an onside recovery? At least the defense got an interception. Give them the opportunity to make some plays.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 02:57 PM   #62
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
I would think that that argues for the opposite decision. Your offense is not moving the ball, what makes you think they'll do anything with an onside recovery? At least the defense got an interception. Give them the opportunity to make some plays.

I agree. Kick it and hope to win field position. They did well in the second quarter stopping them.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:23 PM   #63
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Maybe he panicked when he saw Madden.

I think he panicked before the season started when he saw he had to play the colts in the dome at this point in the season, and said "i'm gonna have to do something here...hmmmm...maybe an onsides kick to start the second half will shake things up enough?"
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 03:28 PM   #64
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottimd
I think he panicked before the season started when he saw he had to play the colts in the dome at this point in the season, and said "i'm gonna have to do something here...hmmmm...maybe an onsides kick to start the second half will shake things up enough?"

I think he panicked when he saw his shadow in the morning. Six more weeks of run the ball.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 03:46 PM   #65
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Didn't Belichik do the exact same thing (onside kick) when the Pats played the Colts, for the exact same reason? Indy can score on anybody at any time, so you try to create extra possessions. Indy scored on one play from their own 20, what's the difference giving it to them at your own 45 except that your defense has a shorter time on the field and gets a bit more rested for the NEXT possession?
Old 11-29-2005, 03:54 PM   #66
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack
Didn't Belichik do the exact same thing (onside kick) when the Pats played the Colts, for the exact same reason? Indy can score on anybody at any time, so you try to create extra possessions. Indy scored on one play from their own 20, what's the difference giving it to them at your own 45 except that your defense has a shorter time on the field and gets a bit more rested for the NEXT possession?

IND 28 NE 14, Plays: 8 Yards: 73 Possession: 2:50.
New England Patriots at 05:46
A.Vinatieri kicks onside 8 yards from NE 30 to NE 38. J.Jefferson pushed ob at NE 27 for 11 yards (E.Hobbs).
PENALTY on NE, Offside on Free Kick, 5 yards, enforced at NE 27.
Indianapolis Colts at 05:44

Indy was up by 14 and it was late in the 3rd quarter when belichik tried it.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote