General Manager

Ping: MizzouRah

Sam Houston State???

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO

JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 11:14 PM   #2
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I figured we would be bad, but wow.. what a loss. Talk radio should be good tomorrow.

You know sports has really been bad for my teams since the Cardinals series loss to Houston.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 01:06 AM   #3
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

That better have been a preseason game.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 02:51 AM   #4
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
That better have been a preseason game.

SI

Nope.. its a official game.. would be like ku losing to pittsburg state.. that being said.. let the Fire quinn watch begin!
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 03:12 AM   #5
SackAttack
Head Coach

I think the Fire Quin watch started when he snapped at a reporter because the reporter called him "Quin" instead of "Coach Snyder," and he goes "Would you call Coach Sutton 'Eddie'?"

Uh, Quin? Win a damn Big XII title before you compare yourself to Coach Sutton, 'kay? Thanks.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 12:12 PM   #6
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Bye bye Quinn.

Hell, SLU would kick Mizzou's ass.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:17 PM   #7
wade moore
lolzcat

On another note...

WAY TO GO CAA!!!

CAA beats Mizzou and Wyoming to put us 4-1 OOC this season (including an OT loss by George Mason University to Wake Forest that obviously could have been a win)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 12:22 PM   #8
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

I live about 20 minutes from Sam Houston State, I didn't know they knew how to win at much
LoneStarGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 01:13 PM   #9
JeeberD
General Manager

They have a pretty solid football program, LSG, but their basketball team was supposed to be bad. According to a UTEP alum that teaches at SHSU, "SHSU lost 6 seniors last year; I couldn't name one of the starting five if my life depended on it."

Old 11-15-2005, 01:18 PM   #10
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone
Nope.. its a official game.. would be like ku losing to pittsburg state.. that being said.. let the Fire quinn watch begin!

Go Pitt State!
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 01:40 PM   #11
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

FSU lost to Texas A&M Corpus Christi last year. At home.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 02:56 PM   #12
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Or Bucknell.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 03:42 PM   #13
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I'm still pretty much in hiding over the loss, but I'll venture out here to take my lumps. It was just painful to watch. There were things that this team did that previous Quin teams didn't do -- they created shots with penetration and didn't just settle for threes and the played actual defense. Unfortunately, almost no one on the team knows what to do once they do penetrate and no one knows how to rebound. Thomas Gardner and Marshall Brown are both players, but everyone else is almost useless.

McKinney is one of the best penetrators around, but he has absolutely no ability to finish. If I were coaching against McKinney I'd just point him to the hoop and let him blown the layup. He had a penetration last night where he beat his man and got to the rim with two hands on the ball and tried to slam dunk and proceeded to slam it in to the bank of the rim.

I've given up on Quin ever developing as a basketball coach. It's over. Now I just hope he doesn't figure out how to rally and salvage a 20-win season to keep his job. We need to 5-11 in the Big XII and miss the NIT so we can send him packing and not have a reason to bring him back again.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 03:48 PM   #14
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd
Or Bucknell.
ZING!
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 04:08 PM   #15
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quinn Lavin
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 07:31 PM   #16
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
I'm still pretty much in hiding over the loss, but I'll venture out here to take my lumps. It was just painful to watch. There were things that this team did that previous Quin teams didn't do -- they created shots with penetration and didn't just settle for threes and the played actual defense. Unfortunately, almost no one on the team knows what to do once they do penetrate and no one knows how to rebound. Thomas Gardner and Marshall Brown are both players, but everyone else is almost useless.

McKinney is one of the best penetrators around, but he has absolutely no ability to finish. If I were coaching against McKinney I'd just point him to the hoop and let him blown the layup. He had a penetration last night where he beat his man and got to the rim with two hands on the ball and tried to slam dunk and proceeded to slam it in to the bank of the rim.

I've given up on Quin ever developing as a basketball coach. It's over. Now I just hope he doesn't figure out how to rally and salvage a 20-win season to keep his job. We need to 5-11 in the Big XII and miss the NIT so we can send him packing and not have a reason to bring him back again.

Nice breakdown... thanks. I agree about McKinney, I'm not sure where he lost his abilities, but Quinn can NOT develop anyone.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:55 PM   #17
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Or Bucknell.

Or Davidson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargetPractice6
ZING!

Didn't you guys lose to UAB in the tourney a couple of years ago?

Us KU fans are just minding our own business even as a legendary football coach steps down from one rival school and the other goes out and loses to some little scrub school and somehow we get drawn into the middle of this. Well, and then there's TP but he just likes to pile on.

SI

Old 11-15-2005, 09:05 PM   #18
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

Yeah we lost to UAB, but they were a 9 seed and it was in the second round. If we lost to Florida A&M the game before you'd have a point.
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 04:26 AM   #19
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargetPractice6
Yeah we lost to UAB, but they were a 9 seed and it was in the second round. If we lost to Florida A&M the game before you'd have a point.

That uab game was a trap set forth by the committee for Kentucky.. they run a faster up tempo game then the one kentucky used at the time.. But not nearly as bad as the minefield the committee put in front of Louisville in the last tourney.. but i digress
Old 11-16-2005, 07:09 AM   #20
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Yeah, I figured we would be bad, but wow.. what a loss. Talk radio should be good tomorrow.

You know sports has really been bad for my teams since the Cardinals series loss to Houston.

I'm a moderator over at tigerboard.com. It's been a rough couple of days over there.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 08:52 AM   #21
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan
I'm a moderator over at tigerboard.com. It's been a rough couple of days over there.

I bed. I don't envy you one bit.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:59 AM   #22
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
I bed.

You got a cold today, Todd?

Old 11-16-2005, 09:08 AM   #23
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
I think anything but a significant run into the NCAA tourney and Quin is a goner (thankfully). Heard some more mention of Rick Majerus as a possible replacement.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:15 AM   #24
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
I think anything but a significant run into the NCAA tourney and Quin is a goner (thankfully). Heard some more mention of Rick Majerus as a possible replacement.

Interesting. ..and yes I'm sick today.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:41 AM   #25
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Mizzourah/KC Chief:

I understand your frustrations and don't think that you guys aren't fans, but I think you are going a little overboard. Do I particularly care for Quin? No. Do I love Mizzou? Yes. And to hope for the Tigers to be unsuccessful just to get rid of a coach is absurd. If Mizzou goes 35-1 and Quin wins the National Coach of the Year I will be ecstatic! To hope for NIT or less shows me that you want to be a Mizzou fan only when the bandwagon is appropriate.

Believe me, I have friends that feel this way too and I respond the same way to them. My one buddy wants Pinkel to lose to K-State and the crappy bowl they would be in so that he is fired. I want Pinkel to beat K-State, Colorado to lose, Iowa State to win, and for Mizzou and Brad to pull the monumental upset of Texas in the big 12 title game. What is more probable? Not the one I want. Which would a Tiger fan pull for?

Sterlingice:

A true Mizzou fan always takes an opportunity to bash KU. When Mizzou gets knocked out of basketball my new favorite teams are KU and OU's opponents. And anyone who pulls for the big 12 is not a Mizzou fan. Would a Cardinal fan cheer for the Cubs? A Yankee fan for the Sox? A Bengals fan for the Browns? Screw KU!
Old 11-16-2005, 12:01 PM   #26
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Mizzourah/KC Chief:

I understand your frustrations and don't think that you guys aren't fans, but I think you are going a little overboard. Do I particularly care for Quin? No. Do I love Mizzou? Yes. And to hope for the Tigers to be unsuccessful just to get rid of a coach is absurd. If Mizzou goes 35-1 and Quin wins the National Coach of the Year I will be ecstatic! To hope for NIT or less shows me that you want to be a Mizzou fan only when the bandwagon is appropriate.

Believe me, I have friends that feel this way too and I respond the same way to them. My one buddy wants Pinkel to lose to K-State and the crappy bowl they would be in so that he is fired. I want Pinkel to beat K-State, Colorado to lose, Iowa State to win, and for Mizzou and Brad to pull the monumental upset of Texas in the big 12 title game. What is more probable? Not the one I want. Which would a Tiger fan pull for?

Sterlingice:

A true Mizzou fan always takes an opportunity to bash KU. When Mizzou gets knocked out of basketball my new favorite teams are KU and OU's opponents. And anyone who pulls for the big 12 is not a Mizzou fan. Would a Cardinal fan cheer for the Cubs? A Yankee fan for the Sox? A Bengals fan for the Browns? Screw KU!

I never said I hoped for an NIT berth, but hey lets be realistic here. Quinn has never made any player better than when they got there, period.. and well, he's wearing thin on me. I think his time has come.

Pinkel is like 0-31 when losing at halftime, the guy is a motivator, but again I've grown tired of the same bs.

I love Mizzou and I have much more tolerance than most of my Missouri friends do when it comes to coaches, but both of these guys are wearing thin on my.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:45 AM   #27
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Pinkel single handedly made Brad Smith a average qb for 2 years before realizing what he did..

Snyder.. well, he's a cheating bastard who got lucky enough to keep some dirty assistants on staff to blame crap on when he got caught
Old 11-18-2005, 07:56 AM   #28
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Pinkel single handedly made Brad Smith a average qb for 2 years before realizing what he did..

Snyder.. well, he's a cheating bastard who got lucky enough to keep some dirty assistants on staff to blame crap on when he got caught

In Pinkel's defense I believe he was trying to make him a multi-dimensional quarterback and increase his NFL stock. So if anything he is at fault for trying to help the kid to a big payday. Is it what was best for Mizzou? Probably not. But I seriously doubt Pinkel knew that as I don't think he would put his own job in jeopardy also. As for year 2 of the experiment, Pinkel is just a stubborn bastard. If the media would have told him to make Brad a pocket passer he probably would have had him running every down.

As to your second line... were you talking about Quin Snyder or Roy Williams? For Roy I wouldn't say he left it on his assistants, just his old school. And since Kansas has more basketball history than Mizzou the punishment was lighter. (If you don't think the NCAA works this way see SMU death penalty vs. Alabama football probation)
Old 11-18-2005, 11:27 AM   #29
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, and I'm sure it had nothing to do with multiple violations by Mizzou with the "lack of institutional control" tag to just one at KU Now if you were going to say Mizzou got unfairly treated by the NCAA because the St Louis paper has an axe to grind, that's perfectly true. But they did uncover quite a bit even if none of it was major.

SI

Old 11-18-2005, 01:51 PM   #30
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Sent to me by a KU fan, but still pretty funny...

(AP) - November 15, 2005 - In a vote of presidents of conference schools taken this morning, The Sun Belt Conference unanimously accepted the application of the University Of Missouri to join the conference effective with the 2006-2007 academic year. "Missouri proved to us last night that they belong. Almost upsetting Sam Houston State was the clincher for us," said Sun Belt Commissioner Lamont Haley in making the announcement.

Long rumored to be headed to the Big Ten, Missouri is expected to compete for conference championships in the Sun Belt in the 2008-09 academic year after a standard two-year probationary period. "We have had our eye on the University of Missouri for several years now, starting with its near-upset of Belmont in 2003 followed by its near-win against Davidson in Columbia last season," said Haley. "Mizzou is a natural educational, athletic, geographical and cultural fit with Arkansas State and Arkansas-Little Rock and we're excited about their developing closer ties with other member schools.

The Tigers already have a developing football rivalry with Troy and Arkansas State." Troy escaped with a nationally televised 24-14 victory over Missouri in 2004 while Arkansas State and Missouri played before a packed section of Kansas City's Arrowhead Stadium in this season's football opener for both schools.

Missouri is expected to bring a powerful presence to the members of the Sun Belt. The conference has been pushing to add new members to its rapidly developing local access channel television network and the addition of the Boonville and Poplar Bluff markets is viewed as a marketing coup. The school will be the 12th member of the Sun Belt and will compete in the league's Eastern Division along with Arkansas State, Arkansas-Little Rock, Florida International, Middle Tennessee State and Western Kentucky. Big 12 offices in Dallas closed hastily with the news, and conference flags were ordered flown at half staff until further notice. It is unknown if or when the offices would reopen. However, a source close to Big 12 Commissioner Kevin Weiberg indicated that if UMKC could be persuaded to leave the Mid-Continent Conference, the competitive balance of Big 12 basketball could be maintained.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:10 AM   #31
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
Yeah, and I'm sure it had nothing to do with multiple violations by Mizzou with the "lack of institutional control" tag to just one at KU Now if you were going to say Mizzou got unfairly treated by the NCAA because the St Louis paper has an axe to grind, that's perfectly true. But they did uncover quite a bit even if none of it was major.

SI

yep.. and it just so happened that tony harvey(i think thats his name) the assistant at missouri.. had been FIRED from a previous job for the SAME Thing... talk about planning ahead