Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-16-2005, 02:41 PM   #1
Huckleberry
College Starter

CONCACAF w/ 4 in the WC Finals

T&T beats Bahrain 1-0 in Bahrain to advance.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings

Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 02:43 PM   #2
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Walt!!!!!!!!
Old 11-16-2005, 03:11 PM   #3
Chas in Cinti
High School Varsity

When is the draw? Anyone know? I'm going in June... can't wait!

-Chas
Old 11-16-2005, 03:24 PM   #4
marshall881
Mascot

Turkey and Swiss played a thriller today. Swiss move on, based on away goal rule!
marshall881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 03:26 PM   #5
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall881
Turkey and Swiss played a thriller today. Swiss move on, based on mustard and rye rule!

Mmmmm.... sandwiches....
Old 11-16-2005, 04:41 PM   #6
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas in Cinti
When is the draw? Anyone know? I'm going in June... can't wait!

-Chas
The draw is early December, maybe the 9th?

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 05:27 PM   #7
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Does anyone else think rkmsuf is gay as hell?
Old 11-16-2005, 07:55 PM   #8
Critch
lolzcat

Bahrain have protested the result, apparently they had a goal disallowed near the end so they want the game replayed.

This would be the second time they've had a game replayed, in a previous round they lost 1-0 in Uzbekistan but got the game replayed as the ref totally messed up a penalty kick.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 07:57 PM   #9
Blade6119
Coordinator

It wont happen, they are just pulling at loose strings...i saw the replay and it shouldnt get a replay...it wasnt a goal based on what i saw
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 08:05 PM   #10
Critch
lolzcat

Maybe it shouldn't happen, but that doesn't mean it won't happen. Alledgedly Bahrain bankrolled Sepp Blatter's re-election campaign, so he may make sure they're treated more fairly than most.

Trinidad and Tobagoe will be the first team ever to qualify for the World Cup with a losing record in their group stage assuming it's not overturned.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:09 PM   #11
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday
The draw is early December, maybe the 9th?

Correct-O
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 08:11 PM   #12
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

How did the ref mess up a PK? It had to been in the structure of it. There is no way they would go back and change a judgement call. I am just curious how an international ref can mess up a PK.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:24 PM   #13
Critch
lolzcat

Yeah the referee messed up the rules, it wasn't a judgement call.

He gave Bahrain a penalty kick which Bahrain scored. The referee ruled that there had been encroachment by Bahrain which should have meant a retake of the penalty. Instead the referee gave a free kick to Uzbekistan. A very basic rule, not sure how an international ref (he was Japanese) could get it wrong.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:31 PM   #14
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Today's one was where the goalie was a bit lazy, he dropped the ball to drop kick it (punt like a football punter), and a Bahrain player kicked it before he could get to his foot to it and scored.. but since the drop kick is one motion it was called a dangerous play and the goal was not allowed.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:36 PM   #15
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

A true drop kick is not the same way a football punter punts a football. On a true drop kick, the ball hits the ground and the keeper punts it. That seemed pretty stupid for the keeper to do that with any pressure. However, if the ball never hit the ground then the right call was made.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:49 PM   #16
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Unlike the earlier PK, which was a clear technical error on a restart, that seems like a judgement call in re application of the LOTG by the referee, and hence not subject to review. (It's possible the call was not correct, but that's a different matter from whether it's subject to protest.)

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Old 11-16-2005, 11:54 PM   #17
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Dola, actually, it was Uzbekistan (not Bahrain) that lodged the earlier protest, apparently upset because they only won by a 1 - 0 score. They asked for a forfeit win, I think, and were rightfully dealt a replay instead, and got burned with a 0 - 0 draw in the replayed match (with Bahrain winning the return leg and the spot in the playoff with T&T).

Based on the applicable quotes from the LOTG and the current FIFA Q&A, the call disallowing the goal was absolutely a correct application of the LOTG, and Bahrain does not even have the weight of right on their side.

Old 11-17-2005, 07:33 AM   #18
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Dola, actually, it was Uzbekistan (not Bahrain) that lodged the earlier protest, apparently upset because they only won by a 1 - 0 score. They asked for a forfeit win, I think, and were rightfully dealt a replay instead, and got burned with a 0 - 0 draw in the replayed match (with Bahrain winning the return leg and the spot in the playoff with T&T).

Well so it was. It was Uzbekistan who missed the penalty, not Bahrain. That'll teach me for believing the report on Sky News. Though in return for you correcting me I'd like to point out the replayed match was 1-1, not 0-0 (Assuming the Daily Telegraph is more correct than Sky News).

This is all taking away from the big news from yesterday's Bahrain game. The Bahraini guy who got sent off was called Ali Baba.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:10 AM   #19
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch
Yeah the referee messed up the rules, it wasn't a judgement call.

He gave Bahrain a penalty kick which Bahrain scored. The referee ruled that there had been encroachment by Bahrain which should have meant a retake of the penalty. Instead the referee gave a free kick to Uzbekistan. A very basic rule, not sure how an international ref (he was Japanese) could get it wrong.

let me see if I get this straight:

Bahrain is awarded a a penalty
before the ball is kicked, a Bahrain player steps in the penalty area (that's what encroachment means, right?)
the ball is kicked and Bahrain scores
the referee gives Uzbekistan a free kick instead of rekicking the kick???

I mean, unless the rule has changed at some point in the last 15 years, this was a rule you learned in your first dealings to become a referee. Basic doesn't even describe this rule...

FM
Old 11-17-2005, 08:13 AM   #20
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
let me see if I get this straight:

Bahrain is awarded a a penalty
before the ball is kicked, a Bahrain player steps in the penalty area (that's what encroachment means, right?)
the ball is kicked and Bahrain scores
the referee gives Uzbekistan a free kick instead of rekicking the kick???

I mean, unless the rule has changed at some point in the last 15 years, this was a rule you learned in your first dealings to become a referee. Basic doesn't even describe this rule...

FM

Yeah, that's the way it went (though it was an Uzbeki penalty and a free kick to Bahrain, I got the countries the wrong way round in the original post). Very basic rule, surprising that neither linesman corrected him, and you've got to think that some of the Uzbeki players must have pointed out the error too.

Very strange.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:18 AM   #21
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Yeah, that's the way it went (though it was an Uzbeki penalty and a free kick to Bahrain, I got the countries the wrong way round in the original post). Very basic rule, surprising that neither linesman corrected him, and you've got to think that some of the Uzbeki players must have pointed out the error too.

Very strange.

I'm even more surprised that the head referee wasn't shot right then and there. I remember being the referee in some local leagues and let me tell you that if I'd pulled that kind of stunt on about any Senior team, I'd have been argued to death by some of the Italian fellas in these teams

Even more, I was a referee dispatch and I can tell you that if any of my refs had done something like that, it would be a very long time before that guy would get any important game...

FM
Old 11-17-2005, 09:48 AM   #22
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
Even more, I was a referee dispatch and I can tell you that if any of my refs had done something like that, it would be a very long time before that guy would get any important game...
As I recall, the referee in question was stripped of his FIFA badge.

Old 11-17-2005, 09:50 AM   #23
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
As I recall, the referee in question was stripped of his FIFA badge.

Only makes sense...

FM
Old 11-17-2005, 11:04 AM   #24
dixieflatline
High School Varsity

Quote:
Trinidad and Tobagoe will be the first team ever to qualify for the World Cup with a losing record in their group stage assuming it's not overturned.

Just a couple of thoughts on this. First, I think after CONCACAFs showing last WC getting an extra 1/2 bids makes sense. I don't think T&T will get out of group stage, like the other three teams could potentially do, but I don't think they will embarrass themselves either.

Second the reason why they had a losing group record had a lot to do with the crazy way CONCACAF qualifing went. With only 6 teams in the group and the 4th seed going to the playoff it was somewhat likely this would happen. If they had altered the qualifing to have 8 teams in the final group then maybe this wouldn't be an issue.
dixieflatline is offline   Reply With Quote