Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-09-2005, 04:14 PM   #1
DeToxRox
Head Coach

OT: Props to the Maloofs

So in Kings home opener vs the Pistons, a video came on showing the city of Detroit as trash filled with houses burnt out, etc. Granted it is like that but thats not the point. It was just kind of random and not worth the effort, considering the Pistons have nothing to do with Detroit (besides the name).

Anywho. Joe Maloof has said (and I believe him) he had no idea this was going on. He called Bill Davidson (Pistons President) and apologized and is taking out ads in all the Detroit and Sacremento papers apolgozing and he may fire the guy who did it.

I think he's gone above and beyond what someone needs to do, and as a resident of the Detroit area and a big Pistons fan, I think both Maloofs deserve props under the circumstances.

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 04:19 PM   #2
ice4277
Pro Rookie

I think it would have been much more fitting if they had shown a video of Kwame in his bright orange suit getting out of an Escalade.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 04:20 PM   #3
MikeVic
Head Coach

I've seen a couple articles talking about the video montage thing... what's the big deal? I don't know Detroit's history, so am I missing something racist here or something?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 04:22 PM   #4
Schmidty
Coordinator

I think it was just rude. I don't buy the racism thing. White people live there too.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:26 PM   #5
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Detroit is however going into the shitter, I won't lie.

The state of Michigan will take over Detroit within the next 4 years, because Kwame Kilpatrick was re-elected.

He was voted the worst mayor still in office in the US .. and he's back.

Oh joyus day.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:28 PM   #6
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Yeah, the Pistons play like 90 minutes from Detroit. With the never-ending construction on Telegraph Road, it took us almost 2 hours to get from the airport to 1 exit south of the Palace for a wedding this past June.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 04:29 PM   #7
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Yeah, the Pistons play like 90 minutes from Detroit. With the never-ending construction on Telegraph Road, it took us almost 2 hours to get from the airport to 1 exit south of the Palace for a wedding this past June.

Ugh. Fuck Telegraph. Ice knows. He works along there occasionally.. But generally he makes more bank on Grand River.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:30 PM   #8
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic
I've seen a couple articles talking about the video montage thing... what's the big deal? I don't know Detroit's history, so am I missing something racist here or something?

It's an age-old stereo-type of the city as nothing but a bunch of empty buildings, burned-out cars, and hooligans who riot in the streets at the drop of a hat.

Granted, the city does have a lot of abandoned buildings and isn't the nicest city in America by far, but the whole "Devil's Night" thing (where folks would burn random houses, apartments, cars, etc.) on October 30 ended a long, long time ago. 15 years or so ago (for the most part anyway). There were severe race riots back in the day (which led to white flight and 8 mile road as sort of the unofficial demarcation line between whites and blacks) and there was a pretty intense riot after the Tigers won the World Series in 1984 and some smaller stuff back when the Pistons won in 89/90. The reputation has stuck and I can't remember when any Detroit sports team made it deep into the playoffs without some bozo (Woody Paige, for example, wrote an annual piece on this for a while there) mentioning what a shit-hole Detroit is and how it would be better for the writer's hometown team to win, because if a Detroit team wins there will be riots and fires in the street and it will make a depressing place (Detroit) worse.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 04:31 PM   #9
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

The apology is cool.

Firing the guy who made the video (who's probably just some regular joe who takes the bus to work every day and worries about his mortgage) just so a billionaire can avoid some bad press for a few days, would not be cool.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:32 PM   #10
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
Ugh. Fuck Telegraph. Ice knows. He works along there occasionally.. But generally he makes more bank on Grand River.

For the stretch between 12 mile or so and 18 mile, I'll take Telegraph over Orchard Lake any day of the week. I hate Orchard Lake Rd.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 11-09-2005, 04:32 PM   #11
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Maple Leafs is pretty cool.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 04:33 PM   #12
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
Detroit is however going into the shitter, I won't lie.

The state of Michigan will take over Detroit within the next 4 years, because Kwame Kilpatrick was re-elected.

He was voted the worst mayor still in office in the US .. and he's back.

Oh joyus day.

Though Kwame Kilpatrick thing is really depressing...
Old 11-09-2005, 04:35 PM   #13
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Firing the guy who made the video (who's probably just some regular joe who takes the bus to work every day and worries about his mortgage) just so a billionaire can avoid some bad press for a few days, would not be cool.

Why? If I fuck up at work, I have to pay the consequences, and I'm just a regular joe too. It's called personal responsibilty. Don't they have that in Canada, Sean?

edited to add a to soften the blow of my rudeness.

Last edited by Schmidty : 11-09-2005 at 04:36 PM.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 04:35 PM   #14
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue

He is the Notorious B.I.G of mayors.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:45 PM   #15
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue

I'll bet its gonna be a f'in awesome re-election party though!
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 04:56 PM   #16
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277
I'll bet its gonna be a f'in awesome re-election party though!

LET'S GO LEASE AN SUV AND KILL A HOOKER!!!