Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-02-2005, 11:10 PM   #1
Galaxy
Coordinator

"The Bachelor" signs with the Niners

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5046402

Niners sign veteran QB Palmer

SANTA CLARA, Calif. - Jesse Palmer was comfortable handing out roses. Waiting by the phone was a lot harder.

But an NFL team finally called the New York Giants' longtime backup quarterback, who became infinitely more famous last year as reality TV's "The Bachelor." The San Francisco 49ers signed Palmer on Tuesday to bolster their depleted depth at the position.

Jesse Palmer, formerly known as ABC's 'The Bachelor,' has hooked up with the 49ers. (Streeter Lecka / Getty Images)

With Ken Dorsey limping and Alex Smith out for at least another week, Palmer should be in uniform as a backup for Cody Pickett's first NFL start Sunday against Eli Manning and Palmer's former teammates from New York.

Not many fringe professionals are as famous as Palmer, whose signing sparked excitement among the wives and girlfriends of the 49ers' players and coaches. Even Steve Young's wife, Barb, ordered her husband to say hello to Palmer when he visited the team's training complex.

"It's two years old, but I don't mind talking about it at all," Palmer said Wednesday. "I've never taken myself that seriously. It was a lot of fun."

Whether Palmer's stay in San Francisco lasts only a few weeks — about as long as his relationship with Jessica Bowlin, the woman he picked on TV — or grows into something lengthier, he's grateful for the chance to be back in a locker room. He wore a brand-new 49ers cap and a broad grin Wednesday while chatting with a few teammates he already knew.

"I was very confident I would resurface somewhere," Palmer said. "It was just a matter of being patient. It's a really difficult situation. You never wish ill will on anybody. It's tough when people get hurt, especially guys you know, but I think that's the nature of the business."

Palmer didn't play last season as the third quarterback behind Eli Manning and Kurt Warner, but he started three games in 2003 while Kerry Collins was injured. The Giants released him Sept. 3 after four seasons.

Though his agent received a few inquiries, Palmer kept working out and waiting. He also stayed in front of the cameras with several broadcasting assignments: in the studio, at Arena League games and on last week's College Sports TV broadcast of UTEP's game against Rice.

While Palmer stayed busy, the 49ers were running out of healthy quarterbacks.

They traded veteran Tim Rattay to Tampa Bay two weeks ago after Smith won the starting job, but the No. 1 pick strained ligaments in his right knee in his second NFL start at Washington. Dorsey got the start in a win over the Buccaneers last Sunday, but sprained his ankle in the fourth quarter.

Palmer was the 49ers' top choice as a fill-in. If he excels in practice, coach Mike Nolan said the club might keep him around for the rest of the year, even when Smith and Dorsey are healthy.

"He could become the fourth guy," Nolan said. "We've had success with four (quarterbacks) before."

Pickett, the former fourth-stringer who kept busy by playing on special teams this season, officially got the starting assignment Wednesday from Nolan. Dorsey looked better than expected in practice, so Palmer might only be the No. 3 quarterback — but he's still got plenty of work to do.

"I'm working really hard, and right now the challenge is just learning the new terminology," he said. "I was studying until very late last night, and I'll do it again tonight, just drawing stuff up and writing stuff down."

Palmer and Manning lived in the same building while they were with the Giants — even watching "The Bachelor" together, along with receiver Amani Toomer and other teammates. Palmer spoke to Manning by phone Tuesday after the 49ers signed him.

"He's a good friend of mine and a good player, so I'm glad he finally got picked up," Manning said. "He's going to stay in there and study and understand the offense. He'll be able to manage a game well. It's a tough task coming into a new offense and having one week to try and prepare ... (but) I think he'll put the work in."

Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 11:17 PM   #2
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

That dude should be banned from the NFL.. I'm sorry.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 11:33 PM   #3
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

49ers......will you accept this crappy quarterback?
Old 11-02-2005, 11:55 PM   #4
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

That Tim Rattay trade is already paying dividends!
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 03:29 AM   #5
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

We'll be right back with the Most Dramatic Fourth Quarter Ever.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 05:16 AM   #6
Raiders Army
Coordinator

How far the mighty have fallen...
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 08:12 AM   #7
JeeberD
General Manager

Thank god! His commentary for "i" during the UTEP-Rice game last week was just awful. The further that guy gets away from the booth the better...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote