Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-21-2005, 11:45 AM   #1
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

NFL: No Sunday Ticket Blackouts next year

posted this in the OLN thread, but for those who missed it in Dr Z's article...

The NFL's Director of Media Services and Technology, Seth Palansky, told me the following:
"Next year there will be no more blackouts. As a service to the fans who own satellite dishes, they will be able to pick up all games on the dish, even those that are carried nationally or in their own area by network TV."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...rbs/index.html

Draft Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 11:55 AM   #2
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Excellent business decision, IMO.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 12:19 PM   #3
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Sweeeeeeet.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 12:33 PM   #4
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Translation: They're making some sort of tecnhology change next year which makes it impossible to black out games based on location.

(High definition, perhaps?)
Old 10-21-2005, 12:46 PM   #5
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Translation: They're making some sort of tecnhology change next year which makes it impossible to black out games based on location.

(High definition, perhaps?)

Translation: Too many Sunday Ticket owners canceled this season because of the $100 premium for hi-def games, the number of blackouts, and the mis-handling of many blackouts (such as local station changing game at the last minute, but DirecTV having the old blackout in place, or people having HD games blacked out that they can't receive HD OTA).

The dbsforums and tivocommunity forums were just burning up over this. I haven't seen final numbers on subscriber numbers this year vs. last, but I do know DirecTV had to give out lots of credits to old Sunday Ticket owners to keep them (charging $49 for SuperFan instead of $99 for those that had Sunday Ticket last year and had free HD games).
Old 10-21-2005, 01:22 PM   #6
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack
Translation: Too many Sunday Ticket owners canceled this season because of the $100 premium for hi-def games, the number of blackouts, and the mis-handling of many blackouts (such as local station changing game at the last minute, but DirecTV having the old blackout in place, or people having HD games blacked out that they can't receive HD OTA).

The dbsforums and tivocommunity forums were just burning up over this. I haven't seen final numbers on subscriber numbers this year vs. last, but I do know DirecTV had to give out lots of credits to old Sunday Ticket owners to keep them (charging $49 for SuperFan instead of $99 for those that had Sunday Ticket last year and had free HD games).

my stance worked !!!!! LOL

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 01:30 PM   #7
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I wonder if I got a credit? Probably not because I didn't complain.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 10:17 AM   #8
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack

Exactly.

Oh, and pessimistic Translation #2: Because there are no blackouts DirectTv will find it in their hearts to charge an additional $50 next year for this 'enhanced' no-blackout service.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 10:37 AM   #9
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army
Sweeeeeeet.

Concur!!
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 11:57 AM   #10
TwinCitiesFan
n00b

No more blackouts is great news, the last couple of years have been complete BS! If you go thru the extra expense of having a dish and paying for the ticket, you should get every game. I am pretty sure this has been discussed on this board before.

Of course Directv and cable companies are all scam artists, so what can we do about it.
TwinCitiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 02:00 PM   #11
ShaqFu
H.S. Freshman Team

Would this apply to local blackouts, such as when a game isn't sold out? Meaning, even if the local station has a blackout, the game will still be on Sunday Ticket locally? Makes sense, considering the price you pay for Sunday Ticket. The owners still get the money they want anyway, even if it isn't as much as a ticket in the stadium.
ShaqFu is offline   Reply With Quote