Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-09-2003, 12:14 PM   #1
Bee
Pro Starter

Question about war...

The rumor is that Saddam may have taken refuge in the Russian embassy in Baghdad. If this is true, can we go in and get him or would that be the same as invading Russia?

Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 12:19 PM   #2
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Re: Question about war...

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee
The rumor is that Saddam may have taken refuge in the Russian embassy in Baghdad. If this is true, can we go in and get him or would that be the same as invading Russia?
Al-Jazeera is reporting this. My understanding is that we can't go into the embassy and get him if he is there, but we certainly can surround and search any vehicles leaving there, and put diplomatic pressure on Russia. The Russians are denying that he's there.

It seems like it would be very difficult for him to be there without us knowing it, chiefly because the embassy would certainly be in contact with Moscow asking them what to do with him, and we'd intercept such communiques.
Old 04-09-2003, 12:24 PM   #3
Bee
Pro Starter

CBS is also reporting it as a rumor they can't disprove (whatever that means).
Old 04-09-2003, 12:28 PM   #4
Franklinnoble
Banned

Say hello to the cold war again if the Russians are really stupid enough to grant him asylum...
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 12:29 PM   #5
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee
CBS is also reporting it as a rumor they can't disprove (whatever that means).
Hmmmm. That's an odd way of putting it.
Old 04-09-2003, 12:30 PM   #6
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

It would be a shame if about 20 bunker busters missed there targets and hit the russian embassy.
Old 04-09-2003, 12:30 PM   #7
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by SkyDog
Hmmmm. That's an odd way of putting it.

That's what I thought too.
Old 04-09-2003, 12:34 PM   #8
Bee
Pro Starter

I actually hope this is true. I think a dead Saddam would be considered a martyr, a live one that fled and had to ask for help will be considered a coward.
Old 04-09-2003, 12:36 PM   #9
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by The Afoci
It would be a shame if about 20 bunker busters missed there targets and hit the russian embassy.

It happened to the Chinese embassy...
Old 04-09-2003, 12:39 PM   #10
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by The Afoci

You are joking, right?

Remember how pissed the Chinese were when we accidentally hit their embassy a couple of years ago? It would be many time worse if we bombed the Ruskies...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 12:49 PM   #11
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by JeeberD
You are joking, right?

Remember how pissed the Chinese were when we accidentally hit their embassy a couple of years ago? It would be many time worse if we bombed the Ruskies...

I wasn't then, but after thinking about it, perhaps a special opps raid would be better.
Old 04-09-2003, 04:43 PM   #12
couriers

Well considering how terrorist don't respect our embassies I find it ironic that someone like Saddam would expect us to just give in because he ran into one himself.
Old 04-09-2003, 04:49 PM   #13
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by couriers
Well considering how terrorist don't respect our embassies I find it ironic that someone like Saddam would expect us to just give in because he ran into one himself.

He knows we don't exactly employ the same deplorable tactics he and his regime have demonstrated.

We'd no sooner delibeately bomb an embassy than we would use 9 year old kids as human shields.
Old 04-09-2003, 04:50 PM   #14
couriers

Quote:
Originally posted by Franklinnoble
He knows we don't exactly employ the same deplorable tactics he and his regime have demonstrated.

We'd no sooner delibeately bomb an embassy than we would use 9 year old kids as human shields.

I know this that is why I used the word "ironic".
Old 04-09-2003, 04:57 PM   #15
mrskippy
Banned

If the Russians gave the regime protection in their embassy, that would be a foolish mistake.

If the Syrians gave them asylum, that would be even more foolish. Given Israel's ability to spy 24/7 on Syria will reveal the truth soon I'm sure. And if he's there, don't count Israel out on launching a strike. Unlike Iraq, it's a straight shot over the border to Syria.

Put it this way, any country that protects Saddam right now ... is foolish as hell.
mrskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 05:00 PM   #16
Ben E Lou

If he is alive, I think it is most likely that he has fled to his home town. After seeing the U.S. resolve, I have a feeling that Syria and Iran want nothing to do with giving Saddam any sort of protection.
Old 04-09-2003, 05:08 PM   #17
Franklinnoble
Banned

Saddam was never genuinely popular in the mid-east, among any nations nearby. Sure, some nations have paid lip service to supporting him, but, realistically, nobody's going to do him any favors.
Old 04-09-2003, 05:20 PM   #18
mrskippy
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by SkyDog
If he is alive, I think it is most likely that he has fled to his home town. After seeing the U.S. resolve, I have a feeling that Syria and Iran want nothing to do with giving Saddam any sort of protection.

And the key there is "if he is alive." Personally, I believe we got him. Probably in the latest airstrike. Hopefully we can get some proof.

If he goes to any Arab neighbor, it will be Syria. It is a similar style government (secular) headed by another (not the same) faction of the Baath party. We'll find out soon enough.
mrskippy is offline   Reply With Quote