Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-17-2005, 10:00 AM   #1
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Is Dez White the Worst Starting Wide Receiver in the League?

Watching the Falcons game yesterday, I felt sorry for them. They know that their receivers suck, and they keep trying to fix it, but somehow still have guys like Dez White running patterns. All the QBs can do is hit him in the hands over and over again.

That got me thinking--is there any worse WR starting in the league right now?

albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 10:05 AM   #2
rkmsuf
Head Coach

A case could be made for Clarence Moore - Bal
Old 10-17-2005, 10:22 AM   #3
GreenMonster
High School Varsity

I will add Justin Gage/Mark Bradley of the Bears.. Bradley is rookie and played good the other week.
GreenMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 10:29 AM   #4
QuikSand
lolzcat

Thing is, most guys as bad as Dez White get exposed with a little playing time, and are quickly whisked away to reserve duty and then construction work. White, as I recall, got a fair number of chances to start for the Bears, and then got signed to a new contract by the Falcons, where he now starts for a second team, years later. There's your shocker, to me.

Seems to me that the Falcons have gotten enamored with receivers who have good 40 times, and that sort of thing -- but might not have the essential skills to run patterns, separate, and catch the ball. That's why they can't get rid of Brian Finneran, as he is the most reliable player on that team at the position, despite years of bemoaning that "all we have at WR is Brian Finneran."

Maybe it's just bad luck on their part -- they went after Price, Jenkins, and Roddy as highly-touted free agents/rookies... but so far, not much return from any of them.

Last edited by QuikSand : 10-17-2005 at 10:29 AM.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 10:34 AM   #5
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonster
I will add Justin Gage/Mark Bradley of the Bears.. Bradley is rookie and played good the other week.

Hey! Leave the Mizzou guys out of this. Gage basically took our basketball team to the elite eight and was part of one of only 3 bowl trips in like 20 years. So we need to put him some slack in the NFL.

Last edited by panerd : 10-17-2005 at 10:34 AM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 10:36 AM   #6
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
Thing is, most guys as bad as Dez White get exposed with a little playing time, and are quickly whisked away to reserve duty and then construction work. White, as I recall, got a fair number of chances to start for the Bears, and then got signed to a new contract by the Falcons, where he now starts for a second team, years later. There's your shocker, to me.

First of all, I think this is probably the right answer. With that said, however, who's starting for the Vikings these days?
Old 10-17-2005, 10:51 AM   #7
rkmsuf
Head Coach

as of last week Dez White only had 5 passes directed his way all season. perhaps he never gets open but part of the consistent struggle in the Atlanta passing game is a funciton of Vick and his style.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:59 AM   #8
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
as of last week Dez White only had 5 passes directed his way all season.

Would you throw to him?
Old 10-17-2005, 11:06 AM   #9
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
Would you throw to him?

But 5? David Boston has seen 8 passes.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:07 AM   #10
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
as of last week Dez White only had 5 passes directed his way all season. perhaps he never gets open but part of the consistent struggle in the Atlanta passing game is a funciton of Vick and his style.

Exactly. As long as Vick is running the show, no wideout is going to put up big numbers in Atlanta. Besides, these guys are a running machine...why bother throwing the ball???

As for Dez White, to be fair, I think his average numbers COULD have something to do with the stellar QBs he had the pleasure of playing with during his time in Chicago.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 11:09 AM   #11
st.cronin
General Manager

I don't understand Atlanta's offense at all. It doesn't make any sense to me, yet it works.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 11:12 AM   #12
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
I don't understand Atlanta's offense at all. It doesn't make any sense to me, yet it works.

Didn't work yesterday. They got little done on offense. The defense won that one.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:34 AM   #13
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin

My HS runs the same one.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 11:41 AM   #14
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Didn't work yesterday. They got little done on offense. The defense won that one.
Of course, if White catches the three or four balls that he should have caught and missed (including one that got intercepted after it went off of his hands), the offensive output probably looks a good bit better yesterday. Vick's worst decision yesterday was continuing to throw to him. His best was throwing to Crumpler only on the final drive.

A side note: how could Vick look mediocre-to-bad for three quarters and 14 minutes, then look like an all-universe jedi master on the final drive with less than a minute to play? "Clutch" play may be more of a factor in football than baseball, but still. It was weird.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:43 AM   #15
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I think they might be better with Schaub in there in the long run. He looks like the real deal. Falcons were smart not to trade him.

That's not to say they haven't can't win with Vick but I like the poise of Schaub.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:10 PM   #16
JasonC23
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka
As for Dez White, to be fair, I think his average numbers COULD have something to do with the stellar QBs he had the pleasure of playing with during his time in Chicago.

I'm a Bears fan. Dez White sucks. Unless you like a receiver who can't run routes, get open, or catch, in which case you're the Atlanta Falcons and think he's worth lots of money.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:19 PM   #17
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
I think they might be better with Schaub in there in the long run. He looks like the real deal. Falcons were smart not to trade him.
Everyone said the same thing about Doug Johson, so no...just no.

As for Dez, the only starting wideout that is worse than him is Michael Jenkins.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 01:20 PM   #18
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97
Everyone said the same thing about Doug Johson, so no...just no.

As for Dez, the only starting wideout that is worse than him is Michael Jenkins.

He's no Doug Johnson. He's better right now than Johnson ever was.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:34 PM   #19
Samdari
Roster Filler

Dez White is a 4th string NFL caliber WR.

The 49ers don't have anyone remotely that good on their roster.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:42 PM   #20
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp...19falcons.html

White's job on the line
Veteran receiver could be dropped for lack of production

By STEVE WYCHE
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 10/18/05

FLOWERY BRANCH — Falcons wide receiver Dez White has missed his chances and now his starting job — and possibly his roster spot — could be in jeopardy.

Coach Jim Mora would not comment about White specifically, but when asked about White's status after he dropped two passes in Atlanta's 34-31 victory over New Orleans Sunday, Mora invoked the famous words uttered by former Falcons' coach Jerry Glanville.

"What does the NFL stand for? Not For Long if you don't play the way you are supposed to play or coach the way you are supposed to coach," Mora said.

In addition, Mora said, "We are considering everything. We always are. If that means personnel changes, then it is personnel changes. If it means scheme changes, it means scheme changes. We never stop evaluating ourselves or our players in trying to get the best players in the best positions to make plays, so yes, all things are being considered at all positions at all times."

Eight-year veteran wide receiver Jerome Pathon, who has been game-day inactive since signing with the team three weeks ago, said there have been signs that his role could be enhanced but he has not been told anything definitive.

"There have been indications," Pathon said. "I have to wait and see how things work out this week. Hopefully, they feel I'm ready to get in there and contribute. I feel that I'm ready. I just need an opportunity."

White was unavailable for comment Tuesday as it was the players day off, but after the game against New Orleans, when he did not play in the fourth quarter, the former Georgia Tech product said he realized he may have exhausted the team's patience. He has missed two games with a hamstring injury and has just two catches for 25 yards and one touchdown for the season.

Brian Finneran, who did not have a catch against New Orleans, has been the Falcons' most reliable wide receiver (19 receptions, 238 yards, one touchdown) and had seven receptions in the two games he started for White. He would be the most likely replacement for White if White loses his starting job. Mora said White regained his starting role from Finneran because his policy is that players don't lose their jobs because of injuries. He explained his reasoning for starting White was because of his blocking.

White has not been used in three-receiver sets, having been pulled in favor of rookie Roddy White. Finneran is used in one-receiver, two tight-end sets.

Pathon, who has played with Indianapolis and New Orleans and was released by Seattle this fall, has 62 NFL starts and 91 appearances with 259 career receptions for 3,332 yards and 15 touchdowns. He had five catches for 92 yards against the Falcons last season when he played for the Saints.

Having worked in a West Coast offensive with Seattle, he was relatively familiar with the Falcons' system upon arrival and has progressed to the point where he could play at any time, coaches said.

At the time he was signed, president and general manager Rich McKay said the Falcons did not really need him. However, with Finneran having played in all 16 regular-season games just twice in seven seasons and Dez White already suffering an injury, Pathon was ideal, veteran insurance — especially with Michael Jenkins being a first-year starter and Roddy White making only marginal progress in his first season.

"I can make plays," Pathon said. "It's a matter of having the opportunity to prove that I can."
Old 10-18-2005, 06:47 PM   #21
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
Watching the Falcons game yesterday, I felt sorry for them. They know that their receivers suck, and they keep trying to fix it, but somehow still have guys like Dez White running patterns. All the QBs can do is hit him in the hands over and over again.

That got me thinking--is there any worse WR starting in the league right now?

Who is Dez White?