Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-09-2003, 02:48 PM   #1
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Kansas To Fire AD

Bohl says Williams maneuvered to get him fired

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Andy Katz
ESPN.com

Kansas will annouce the firing of athletic director Al Bohl at a 4:30 p.m. ET news conference in Lawrence after Bohl refused to step down in a morning meeting with chancellor Robert Hemenway.

Kansas will honor the final three years of his contract.

"I would not resign," Bohl told ESPN.com.

Bohl will hold a news conference at his home at the same time the university announces his dismissal, during which he will accuse Kansas coach Roy Williams of orchestrating his ouster. Bohl has crafted a letter that will read, in part, "This is a sad day in college athletics when a college basketball coach can hire and fire an athletic director."

Williams has been at odds with Bohl since Bohl was hired two years ago and dismissed Williams' good friend, football coach Terry Allen, after the 2001 season. Bohl said he has been the target of unfounded attacks on his character when he was recruited to help the Kansas athletic department with fundraising.

Bohl's statement will include the following: "(The) Kansas basketball coach had the power to crush me or let me fly and he chose to crush me."

Bohl's departure might not influence Williams' decision to remain as Jayhawks coach or leave for the North Carolina job. Williams is expected to consider a formal offer from the school this week after having a lengthy conversation with former Tar Heels coach Dean Smith on Tuesday night.

Williams will be allowed the right of first refusal by Carolina and is expected to make a decision soon. Sources said the Tar Heels would not give Williams a week to make a decision, which he took three years ago when he turned down their offer.

But they might not have a choice because Williams is scheduled to leave for Los Angeles on Friday to attend the presentation of the John Wooden Award. Williams will attend with Kansas senior Nick Collison, who is one of five finalists for college basketball's player of the year honor. Williams himself will receive an award -- the Legends of Coaching, which recognizes lifetime achievement in coaching. Past recipients include Dean Smith, Mike Krzyzewski, Lute Olson and Denny Crum.

Sources close to Williams said Wednesday that he again is torn and hasn't made up his mind whether to remain in Lawrence. Bohl's ouster might not factor in his decision; Williams either will go home to North Carolina or stay where he has enjoyed building a legacy after reaching back-to-back Final Fours and four in his 15 years as coach.

Sources within the Carolina program expect Williams to take the job if offered and said they would would be upset if he rejected it a second time. They said Williams feels responsible for the present state of the program after he stayed at Kansas. But Carolina's program is on the verge of returning to the NCAA Tournament and should be ranked in the top 10 next season, so he could be walking back into a Final Four situation instead of rebuilding, which he would have been had he succeeded Bill Guthridge in Chapel Hill three years ago.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote