Those scheming NY Jets didn't get away with it

cnnsi link

Proud Manager of the BOSTON WYCKYD SCEPTRE
Also attempting to Right The Ship with the Clippers

RonnieDobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 05:35 PM   #2
Bishop
Mascot

I'm not so sure he's gonna turn out to be all the Skins hope for, but we'll just have to wait and see.
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 05:38 PM   #3
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
As a skins hater, I love the offseason tease they do every year.
Old 04-07-2003, 05:41 PM   #4
Tarkus
High School Varsity

Yeah, as a Jet fan I'm ecstatic about this. Was too much money for him anyway. It wouldn't surprise me if the Jets weren't willing to match the Redskins offer so they tried to get around it. Either that or they really are as stupid as some people think.

Tarkus
Old 04-07-2003, 06:55 PM   #5
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Tarkus,

first, I think Terry Bradway is as stupid as I fear. This move and the Laverneus Coles tender offer were as bone-headed as can be. That being said I'm totally fine with Morton leaving because the money was a bit high. When the Jets decided not to match the Coles offer, they basically said "we can't win the super bowl this year." If they truly believe that, then they shouldn't have matched the Morton offer, yet they moronically did (probably to save some face in the media). Now if they would just cut the 100 year old linebackers I could at least justify the offseason the Jets are having. Right now there isn't a positive spin you can put on it. Aside from the fact that John Hall is no longer on the team.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 07:00 PM   #6
CAsterling
High School JV

Yep, another great Dan Snyder offseason, sign a load of talented players and watch them play badly in a redskins uniform.

I'm amazed they haven't resigned Jeff George this offseason yet
Old 04-07-2003, 07:02 PM   #7
Tarkus
High School Varsity

cthomer5000,

I agree with all of that. I just hope they're smart with the draft and don't do something stupid like trade their two first round picks to move up.

Tarkus
Old 04-07-2003, 07:10 PM   #8
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by CAsterling
Yep, another great Dan Snyder offseason, sign a load of talented players and watch them play badly in a redskins uniform.

I'm amazed they haven't resigned Jeff George this offseason yet

I'm amazed they didn't sign Kordell.
Old 04-07-2003, 07:28 PM   #9
Bishop
Mascot

Quote:
Originally posted by cthomer5000
Tarkus,

first, I think Terry Bradway is as stupid as I fear. This move and the Laverneus Coles tender offer were as bone-headed as can be. That being said I'm totally fine with Morton leaving because the money was a bit high. When the Jets decided not to match the Coles offer, they basically said "we can't win the super bowl this year." If they truly believe that, then they shouldn't have matched the Morton offer, yet they moronically did (probably to save some face in the media). Now if they would just cut the 100 year old linebackers I could at least justify the offseason the Jets are having. Right now there isn't a positive spin you can put on it. Aside from the fact that John Hall is no longer on the team.

He would of been even more stupid to give Coles a 10+ million signing bonus because then that would of been the standard signing bonus for several of there other players when time came to resign.

They got a 13th draft pick out of it, so not all hope is lost, WR is one of the strongest draft positions this year and with two picks they aren't hurting that bad.

Coles and Morton both were severely over-paid by the skins.
Old 04-07-2003, 07:53 PM   #10
CAsterling
High School JV

Quote:
Originally posted by Bishop
Coles and Morton both were severely over-paid by the skins.

Seems like standard Snyder mentality, he wants to win now, and is willing to go through salary cap problems later - Spurrier will have to win in the next two years or face some tough choices about retaining players.

The biggest mistake in all of the Redskins off seasons moves was letting Marvin Lewis go......I know they didn't have a choice really, but I don't think the additional players like Cole and Morton are going to be able to make a big enough difference, especially to offset this change.
Also think that Lewis made a huge mistake in going to Cincy, but thats another story.
Old 04-07-2003, 09:45 PM   #11
Anthony
Banned

doesn't matter, the GIants are gonna win the SB.

they signed Brian Mitchell. for a team with a great defense and an offense a step or two behind, they now have an above average special teams that can put the offense on the 40 or better consistently instead of under the 20 yard line. SB or bust.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 10:47 PM   #12
Bishop
Mascot

Quote:
Originally posted by CAsterling
Seems like standard Snyder mentality, he wants to win now, and is willing to go through salary cap problems later - Spurrier will have to win in the next two years or face some tough choices about retaining players.

The biggest mistake in all of the Redskins off seasons moves was letting Marvin Lewis go......I know they didn't have a choice really, but I don't think the additional players like Cole and Morton are going to be able to make a big enough difference, especially to offset this change.
Also think that Lewis made a huge mistake in going to Cincy, but thats another story.

If Spurrier doesn't win within the next two years, I don't think he'll have to worry about retaining any players, he'll probably be looking for a new job.

Snyder doesn't have any patience, so I'll be surprised if Spurrier makes it past this season if they don't start winning.
Old 04-07-2003, 11:22 PM   #13
Anthony
Banned

wow, Snyder is just mindfucking the Jets. anyone know where i can get a pick of Dan Snyder fucking a Jets helmet?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 11:15 AM   #14
Bee
Pro Starter

Interesting article at ESPN.com reporting the arbitrator was a Redskins season ticket holder...

LOL
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 11:17 AM   #15
Tarkus
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee
Interesting article at ESPN.com reporting the arbitrator was a Redskins season ticket holder...

LOL

It's worse. The Jets apparently knew this and agreed to it.

Tarkus
Old 04-09-2003, 11:44 AM   #16
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee

LOL

http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2003/0408/1536033.html

Here's a link... doesn't mention that the Jets knew about it ahead of time... where'd you see that?
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 12:00 PM   #17
Tarkus
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by Franklinnoble
http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2003/0408/1536033.html

Here's a link... doesn't mention that the Jets knew about it ahead of time... where'd you see that?

For whatever it's worth, here's where I got that.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/jets/33745.htm

Tarkus