Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-08-2003, 10:57 PM   #1
Tarkus
High School Varsity

Reconstruction of Iraq - France, Germany, Russia

Apparently the heads of France, Germany, and Russia are getting together to discuss the reconstruction of Iraq. If they want to donate aid that's fine. But if we let these countries make a dime off that process we're stupid. These fools should not prosper at all from what we've done in Iraq.

Tarkus

Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 11:01 PM   #2
mrskippy
Banned

I agree. I think they should only be allowed to serve in some type of advisory role. These guys opposed the war, didn't contribute anything to the effort and in the case of France and Russia, may have aided the enemy (and if since 1991, violated sanctions).

And if those were chemical warheads, than they've also basically been played for fools.
mrskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 02:07 AM   #3
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Let them advise if they want, but show them the door if they think they can sweep in and try to make money out of the deal.

It's all about the jealousy of no longer being a world power.

Unless they want to come in and put the country back together on their own. If that's the case than we pull out and don't send a dime to them. We would have already payed our price, risking the lives of the brave men and women of our military. Then when it may cost them something we'll see just how concerned they really are about the Iraqi people.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 06:05 AM   #4
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

I loved what Dubya said yesterday when asking what he meant by the U.N. having a vital role. He said "passing out food, things like that..." In other words, "we can use some extra warm bodies for the menial-but-necessary tasks, but we'll handle the real work."

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 04-09-2003 at 06:16 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 06:14 AM   #5
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
I would not prohibit Iraq (public or private) from dealing with any country, that must be part of the freedoms they learn to appriciate.

As the US/UK, I would only include countries in rebuilding process where it fits from our point of view.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:59 AM   #6
Tarkus
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz
I would not prohibit Iraq (public or private) from dealing with any country, that must be part of the freedoms they learn to appriciate.

As the US/UK, I would only include countries in rebuilding process where it fits from our point of view.

I'm just talking about reconstruction. I would absolutely prohibit dealings with any nation that was not part of the coalition. They are the ones paying with their lives and tax dollars. To let other countries walk in and reap the benefits would be disgusting.

Tarkus
Old 04-09-2003, 10:03 AM   #7
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I don't think there's any amount of Euro-opposition profiteering that wouldn't get serious animosity from the U.S. public. Politically, the administration can't allow that to happen without spending some of their political capital.
Old 04-09-2003, 10:08 AM   #8
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Quote:
Originally posted by Tarkus
I'm just talking about reconstruction. I would absolutely prohibit dealings with any nation that was not part of the coalition. They are the ones paying with their lives and tax dollars. To let other countries walk in and reap the benefits would be disgusting.

Tarkus

you missed what I am saying. I would not prohibit Iraq (the public or private sector) from doing business with anyone they choose. Iraq will certainly be part of their own reconstruction.
Old 04-09-2003, 10:16 AM   #9
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

If we are trying to bring democracy and capitalism to Iraq shouldn't we set up a system where the lowest bids win? What worries me about excluding everyone but the US and UK is that that may not be in the best interests of the Iraqis, and afterall hasn't this now become all about liberating Iraqis?

I read a column today suggesting that the Iraqi oil money be set up in a trust ala Alaska. That would provide every Iraqi with an "oil dividend" every year. It woud be enormously difficult to set up and administer, but certainly no more difficult than the military operation and military ocupation. The advantage of this plan is that it would prevent the establishment of an oligarchy that controls all of the money and hence power in Iraq. It would also show that the US really wasn't in this to control the oil revenues.
Old 04-09-2003, 10:16 AM   #10
Tarkus
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz
you missed what I am saying. I would not prohibit Iraq (the public or private sector) from doing business with anyone they choose. Iraq will certainly be part of their own reconstruction.

I didn't miss your point and I can understand it. However, the plan for reconstruction will be well underway before we leave Iraq and a permanent Iraqi government is in place. Up to that point I see the US playing a vital role in helping govern Iraq. I've got to believe that as a result of this the vast majority of the reconstruction effort will be contracted to coalition companies, and I feel very strongly that's the way it should be. It disgusts me that France, Germany, and Russia are looking to profit from this war in which they played no part.

Tarkus
Old 04-09-2003, 10:19 AM   #11
Tarkus
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by JPhillips
If we are trying to bring democracy and capitalism to Iraq shouldn't we set up a system where the lowest bids win?

The lowest coalition bid. And again, I'm just talking about reconstruction. After we're out of Iraq they can deal with whomever they please. But right now I'm watching Americans and British soldiers die, not French, German, and Russian.

Tarkus