Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-13-2005, 07:58 PM   #1
dickysty
n00b

Ipod Docking/ Speaker system

Anyone have any suggestions on a nice sounding one?

By the way the Ipod is awesome and I don’t need no stinking video!

dickysty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 08:03 PM   #2
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

Except when it breaks 6 months after you buy it (conviently a few days over six months so I have to pay shipping to have it repaired).
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 08:05 PM   #3
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I bought the one below a year or so ago. I've been very happy with the quality of sound. It's small and compact, but plenty loud.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...onics&n=507846
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 08:21 PM   #4
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

First, I would check out: http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/rev...ew_grades/C84/

This is the one that they liked the best and consistently liked the best (there have been a few iterations of it): http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/rev...speakers-ipod/

I don't know anybody with any of the JBL iPod specific things, though I like JBL in general so I think it's a solid purchase.

My friend just bought this set: http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/rev...r-system-ipod/
He LOVES it, as has everybody who's listened to it. It got knocked because of its price tag, though I must admit, as one who doesn't have any speakers or soundsystem at all short of the speakers that came with my old desktop PC, I'm strongly considering the Klipsch iFi system. It looks gorgeous and the sound is amazing.

But, read the reviews at ilounge and see what others here have to say. Best two places for info, I'd say...

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 08:26 PM   #5
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
I bought the one below a year or so ago. I've been very happy with the quality of sound. It's small and compact, but plenty loud.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...onics&n=507846

This is the one we bought and it's been great! We got rid of my old 6 disc cd changer/stereo/tape deck monster, and now how this nice little unit that sounds just as good, if not better than the huge stereo. That is a good price on it too...
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 09:21 PM   #6
Subby
lolzcat

The Bose SoundDock is appropriately kickass. I don't see us ever going back.

Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com

Last edited by Subby : 10-13-2005 at 09:22 PM.
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 09:24 PM   #7
jbmagic
Pro Starter

any docking speakers for nano ipod yet?
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 11:12 PM   #8
Hurst2112
College Starter

Do what I did...

Say, you were gonna buy a bose sound dock for $300. I would say scratch that idea and find a compact stereo system for the same amount of money. This will give you the benefit of having a system to use without the ipod as well as something to plug the ipod into (aux in on the stereo). You don't have to pay more money for a cheap set of speakers just because it has an ipod holder connected to them. Pound for pound, dollar for dollar, you are gonna find something better in a shelf system than what is offered from almost any company that is making speaker systems for ipods.

If space is an issue, then you might have to go with the compact ipod speaker systems. Then, I can't help point you in the right direction.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 11:21 PM   #9
Hurst2112
College Starter

Dola:

I purchased this unit after investigating some option for exactly what you are talking about. Granted, I needed a good set of alternate reference monitors for mixes I do at home, but for what I paid, I get what you are looking for plus a whole lot more...at about half the cost of the bose system.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1077625490200
Old 10-13-2005, 11:51 PM   #10
MikeVic
Head Coach

I'm looking for a speaker system too. However, I think a remote would be nice; that way I can change songs and stuff without having to get up and go to the iPod. Unless this doesn't exist?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 12:49 AM   #11
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!!
Ouch. Philips... They used to make very good audio and video equipment, but over the last few years they have really gone downhill.

Bah, for me, it's what is in the speakers. That's it.

I have had mine for over a year and I have had 0 problems with it.

That is like somebody doggin on me for buying a gateway computer 3 years ago. I haven't had any issues with that, and I would say that it is one of the most solid pieces of computer equipment I have come across (except for the apples at the studio of course).

If not philips, then just realize that there are systems out there that are better than paying for a set of speakers. Now, the new dock for ipods comes with a remote. I haven't read up on them, but I think they are like the old ones...have an audio out on them. That, coupled with a decent stereo and you will be set.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:58 AM   #12
Hurst2112
College Starter

dola:

New universal dock is about 40 dollars. That comes with a remote sensor.

Remote sells for around 30 dollars.

So, with those 2 things you are up to 70 bucks. Add that to a decent shelf stereo system (round 120-170 dollars) and you are looking for a complete system for your ipod that is under 250 bucks. You will get the ability to play mp3 cds, am.fm tuner/multidisc cd changer...etc. All of that for LESS than a bose setup. No matter how good people say the bose speakers are, they aren't worth the extra money you pay for the name.

Remember, speakers are supposed to be flat. The lease frequencey altering the better. That is what the CD is mastered for. I try to look for a system that can bypass the built in eq if it has one. Led Zeppelin didn't intend for you to listen to their albums with a 'smiley face' eq setup. If an album (or CD for you younger cats) doesn't sound good without eq, then move to another system.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:21 AM   #13
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!!
Well whatever you do, don't buy a Philips DVD thinking that it is about the same in quality.

Probably wouldn't. Though video is different than audio when it comes to translating digital information.

Hell, I would purchase an Apogee DA/AD convertor for all audio if I could afford it.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:59 AM   #14
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
any docking speakers for nano ipod yet?

There are these...

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...plm=MA124G%2FA