Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-05-2003, 11:49 PM   #1
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Texas, meet Carmelo Anthony

I never talk after a good win, but the Texas fans annoy me with their Hook 'Em crap and their TJ Ford crap, and all their other crap, especially from a team who is in their first Final 4 in 50 years.

The best player in the country was on the court tongiht, and he was wearing Orange, but it wasn't that crappy burnt Orange.

Have a nice offseason.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."

Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 12:06 AM   #2
JeeberD
General Manager

This makes me happy since UTEP will remain the only Texas team to win a basketball championship. Well, maybe not happy, I was kinda torn, being from Texas and all...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO

Last edited by JeeberD : 04-06-2003 at 12:11 AM.
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 12:08 AM   #3
Calis
College Starter

To win a championship? They gotta beat my Jayhawks first. Lets not jump the gun.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 12:57 AM   #4
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Heh I knew that was coming. Although there are a couple of Longhorn yahoos here, there are some that are normal such as Senator. I can't stand UT either but they did have a great season.

Syracuse will have their hands full with Kansas. Should be a good game.
Old 04-06-2003, 01:04 AM   #5
tucker342
Pro Starter

Great win by Syracuse!!! Anthony proved who the real POY was this season...

Go Syracuse in the championship game!!!
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 12:07 PM   #6
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Better team had the better game.

I still love my guys though. At least we have a football season without Chris Simms coming up.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 03:42 PM   #7
Cuckoo
College Starter

Respectfully disagree Senator. Texas lost, but I still contend that they are the better team. Syracuse has Carmelo Anthony. Beyond that, they have a couple of good players and several mediocre ones. Texas is solid from top to bottom with some good depth on the bench. I congratulate Syracuse, but I'd hate to be them against Kansas.

Oh, and edited to add that I really, really, really hate Texas. Nothing makes me puke more than the burnt orange.

Last edited by Cuckoo : 04-06-2003 at 03:43 PM.
Cuckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 04:02 PM   #8
bigdawg2003
High School Varsity

Just got back from New Orleans.

I stayed at the Syracuse hotel (didn't realize it until we saw all of that bright orange, and it was the Marriot BTW). Those Orangemen fans are out of their freakin mind. They were drinking when we arrived at about 1 PM and were all over bourbon street getting plastered (not to mention Marquette fans.......and Kansas fans.......what the hell, they were all getting fucked up) Also, when we got back from the game and the Syracuse team arrived, the place went crazy chanting "ONE MORE YEAR!!!!" and "GERRY!!!!!". Also, while going back to our room, Billy Edelin got in our elevator. Nothing too special since A) I'm from Austin, and B) I didn't know who it was until I looked in the program, but there was another guy in the elevator with a Kansas jersey on, to which Edelin said "Man, you in the wrong elevator."

Overall, if you can go to a final four, DO IT!
Old 04-07-2003, 12:00 AM   #9
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

wow, if anthony played like that every night, then yep, he's the best player in the country. he did have a career game, though

and tj, with his 14 or so assists, acounted for more points

free throws, dammit. bad time to lapse

oh well, we get everyone back next year, and the final four is in san anotnio
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 12:01 AM   #10
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

and respectfully, fuck you senator
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 12:05 AM   #11
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by IMetTrentGreen

How do you respectfully fuck you someone?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 12:20 AM   #12
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

I think you keep your eyes closed.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 02:41 AM   #13
Senator

Quote:

No thanks, I am married. Thanks for the offer though. I know you will find true love some day.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Old 04-07-2003, 03:06 AM   #14
TroyF
Coordinator

Wow, the classiest Texas fan strikes again. (you might need to wipe the sarcasm off your monitor after that one)

Senator,

Respectfully, you give me hope that sane Texas fans exist.

IMTG,

Career game for Anthony? Hell, I'd argue his game against Michigan St. was even better than the Texas tilt (25 points, 7 rebounds, 4 assists, 5-5 from 3pt land, 1 turnover in 38 minutes on the road)

The guy averages 23 and 10. He put up 5 buckets more than his average (not shocking because of the pace of the game, Cuse hit for 90+ points 4 times this year and he scored 29 in two of those games, 27 in another) Again, the high pace with more shots also=more potential rebounds. I don't think there was anything career about it, I think that was the normal version of Carmello Anthony.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 07:12 AM   #15
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally posted by Cuckoo
Texas lost, but I still contend that they are the better team. Syracuse has Carmelo Anthony.

Well, you are obviously a typical Big 12 sports fan. You have no idea of what occurs outsid your immediate region, and when a team from that region gets is ass kicked by someone from outside, you are good at making excuses. Where is all this talent Texas had? They have some good basketball players, but everyone has good basketball players - other than Ford, noone from Texas is a difference maker. Thomas, Buckman, Ivey and Mouton are not better than Warrick, Edelin, MacNamara, Pace. (in fact, Warrick is projected as a top 5 pick in the 2004 NBA draft - he is more talented than ANYONE on Texas, including Ford).

Yes, Anthony had a great game, but if you understood basketball you would realize that without MacNamarra and Warrick. I hope Kansas makes the same mistake as Texas and focuses their efforts on stopping Anthony, and get killed by Warrick and GMac.
Old 04-07-2003, 08:22 AM   #16
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Give Texas credit though. They turned that zone into mince meat. Great game by the Longhorns, but a better one by Syracuse. Fun stuff.
Old 04-07-2003, 08:24 AM   #17
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally posted by Cuckoo
Texas lost, but I still contend that they are the better team. Syracuse has Carmelo Anthony. Beyond that, they have a couple of good players and several mediocre ones. Texas is solid from top to bottom with some good depth on the bench.

Even if everything you assert here as supporting fact is true, does that necessarily mean that Texas has the better team?

Does "solid from top to bottom" necessarily make your team better than a team having one superstar player and a "couple of good players and several mediocre ones" in every case?

Doesn't it still logcally depend on the actual play of the team?
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 08:54 AM   #18
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by QuikSand
Even if everything you assert here as supporting fact is true, does that necessarily mean that Texas has the better team?

Does "solid from top to bottom" necessarily make your team better than a team having one superstar player and a "couple of good players and several mediocre ones" in every case?

Doesn't it still logcally depend on the actual play of the team?

Okay, gentlemen, I'm going to explain something to you here. I'm not asserting anything as fact. Just like every other opinion on a sports board, that's exactly what this is: my opinion. Samdari seems to think it's because I have a Big 12 bias. Maybe that's true. I think it's because I've watched a bunch of Syracuse games and a bunch of Texas games. I don't particularly like either one. But, my OPINION is that Texas has the greater talent from top to bottom. They were considered by many to be one of the deepest team in the nation, and I'm not the first to assert that Syracuse is "Carmelo surrounded by a bunch of scrubs". Disagree if you will, that's what discussion boards are for.

But, frankly, Samdari, I think you have some deep-seeded issues. You have no idea what teams I watch, and I'm not quite sure where I was making excuses for Texas. I thought they played pretty well and were beaten. Anthony had a great game for Syracuse and Texas couldn't overcome that. When I evaluate the better team, I consider more than just one game. My opinion, based on all that I have seen from both teams, is that Texas is the better "team". I'm not sure if the stats would back me up, but it seems they have fewer turnovers, greater depth, and better shooters. In the long run, I think they'd beat Syracuse more often that Syracuse would beat them. That's why I think they have the better team. But, I'm sure that if I "understood basketball", I'd have better opinions just like you.
Old 04-07-2003, 09:08 AM   #19
QuikSand
lolzcat

I really have no problem with the assertion that Texas is "a better team, top to bottom." But surely, you would concede that at some point this argument can (at least theoreticaly) run dry in translating to "which team would actually beat the other more often." The 8th and 9th and 10th guys only go so far in determining a game's outcome.

If one hypthetical team had a fantastic coach and gameplan, the seven best players in the country, and total stiffs past that - one might still make the argument that Texas (or any nice, deep team) is "better top to bottom" -just look at how much better their 8th, 9th, and 10th best players are. Meanwhile, the stacked team could beat them 9 out of 10 if they actually played.

I really don't have a strong opinion whether Texas is or is not a better team that Syracuse this year. And I don't think that the results of one game necessarily seals that argument, either. I'm just a stickler for a logical argument, really. I am happy to accept your opinion for what it is, and recognize that you may well be right. I just don't think that there is any ironclad argument on either side.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 09:17 AM   #20
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by QuikSand
I really have no problem with the assertion that Texas is "a better team, top to bottom." But surely, you would concede that at some point this argument can (at least theoreticaly) run dry in translating to "which team would actually beat the other more often." The 8th and 9th and 10th guys only go so far in determining a game's outcome.

If one hypthetical team had a fantastic coach and gameplan, the seven best players in the country, and total stiffs past that - one might still make the argument that Texas (or any nice, deep team) is "better top to bottom" -just look at how much better their 8th, 9th, and 10th best players are. Meanwhile, the stacked team could beat them 9 out of 10 if they actually played.

I really don't have a strong opinion whether Texas is or is not a better team that Syracuse this year. And I don't think that the results of one game necessarily seals that argument, either. I'm just a stickler for a logical argument, really. I am happy to accept your opinion for what it is, and recognize that you may well be right. I just don't think that there is any ironclad argument on either side.

Texas' depth would not be the only piece of "evidence" I would offer if I was attempting to make an argument for their superiority. I was, though, only offering an unsupported opinion. Not everyone makes a "logical argument" every single time like you do Quik.
Old 04-07-2003, 09:49 AM   #21
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

I am pretty sure that people from Oklahoma, Pittsburgh, and UConn think they are better than Syracuse too.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Old 04-07-2003, 09:50 AM   #22
Aylmar
High School Varsity

Don't forget Oklahoma State. Way to blow a sure thing, gents.
Old 04-07-2003, 09:52 AM   #23
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Probably Auburn too. They came the closest to beating syracuse in the tourney...only 1 point.

Old 04-07-2003, 10:17 AM   #24
Samdari
Roster Filler

No deep seated issues, just annoyed by the deplorable regional mindset in that area of the country. Texas played very well on Saturday and still lost. But, because they are not a Big 12 team SU could not possibly actually be better. Must have been a fluke.

Because the media ONLY covers local teams and conferences, you end up with very inflated ideas of how good Ivey, Mouton, etc. are, and have no idea how good players like MacNamarra, Warrick, Edelin are (HINT: they were all top 50 recruits in their class - only Ford was from Texas). Thus, no matter how many Big 12 teams SU beats, you are never going to think SU wasl better.
Old 04-07-2003, 10:26 AM   #25
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by bbor
How do you respectfully fuck you someone?

My thoughts exactly bbor!
Old 04-07-2003, 12:25 PM   #26
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

I think Syracuse is a team that's been underrated all year. They are young, but they have more than just Carmelo. One thing is that CA is a great team player and makes everyone around him much better. I think that you have to look at more than just depth. I think Boehim is a better coach than Barnes (not that he is not good), and his 2-3 zone defense has been very hard for teams to defeat all season long. If you are forgotting, Syracuse has only dropped 5 games all year.
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 12:36 PM   #27
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Samdari,

Syracuse is a great team. But realize that against Oklahoma they played essentially a HOME game while two OU players weren't anywhere near 100%. That's a lot for Oklahoma to overcome...especially the HOME crowd. I give Syracuse credit for beating Texas, but I think Oklahoma on a neutral court would have been a great game.
Old 04-07-2003, 12:43 PM   #28
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Man, I would've loved to have seen a Carmelo Anthony/Dwayne Wade matchup. That would've been outstanding.
Old 04-07-2003, 01:58 PM   #29
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Samdari
No deep seated issues, just annoyed by the deplorable regional mindset in that area of the country. Texas played very well on Saturday and still lost. But, because they are not a Big 12 team SU could not possibly actually be better. Must have been a fluke.

Because the media ONLY covers local teams and conferences, you end up with very inflated ideas of how good Ivey, Mouton, etc. are, and have no idea how good players like MacNamarra, Warrick, Edelin are (HINT: they were all top 50 recruits in their class - only Ford was from Texas). Thus, no matter how many Big 12 teams SU beats, you are never going to think SU wasl better.

Samdari,

Again you are making assumptions about me that you have no idea whether they are true. I don't watch local media. I never have. I read the local paper, and you're right, they do cover regional teams more than teams such as Syracuse. They don't, though, cover Texas in a favorable light, I assure you of that. As I said, I don't like Texas at all, and have not seen them play any more times than Syracuse. In fact, I have satellite television with New York City stations which play many more east coast games than regional ones for me.

I think Texas is the better team. I think they have the greater depth and talent. I think that Syracuse outplayed them. I think that if they played several games, Texas would win more often than not. That's my opinion. You can call it a lot of things, but it is certainly not based on a lack of knowledge.
Old 04-07-2003, 02:04 PM   #30
Cuckoo
College Starter

DOLA

to add: I also agree that Boeheim is a better coach than Barnes. That zone is a killer. When talking about regional issues, that's a big reason that Syracuse had an advantage over OU, OSU, and Texas. The Big 12 doesn't play a lot of zone, and I don't think any of those teams were truly prepared to handle it. Mix that with the fact that Syracuse ran it to near perfection a lot of the time, and that's the reason Syracuse is in the National Championship.
Old 04-07-2003, 02:34 PM   #31
HornsManiac

Smile

I have no comment on this game, because I did not get to watch it. I was wired, at an awesome concert, and then partied on 6th St. until 6am yesterday morning. However, this thread is pretty funny stuff. It is always nice to see the love/hate threesome of Senator, IMTG, and TroyF having a little lovers' quarrel.

HornsManiac
Old 04-07-2003, 02:42 PM   #32
vtbub
College Starter

The fact that Syracuse outplayed Texas most of the game should dispel the notion that Oklahoma's shitty performance in Albany was more than Syracuse playing close to home. Syracuse can flat out play. Will that be enough to get them past a streaking Kansas? Probably not. Let's give the Orangemen their due, they played the schedule given to them and succeeded, that's more than 326 other teams can say right now.

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 05:16 PM   #33
TroyF
Coordinator

Syracuse has went through the "elite" of the Big12 in this tournament. OKState, Oklahoma, Texas, and Kansas were the top 4 seeds in the Big12 tourney. Syracuse has ousted 3 of the 4, including both #1 seeds.

I think it is fairly obvious that Syracuse can match up pretty well with most, if not all, Big12 teams.

Furthermore, the Big East conference was clearly underrated this year. 4 teams in the sweet 16, the final two NIT teams, and a team in the championship game. Clearly a very underrated conference this year.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 10:43 PM   #34
Senator

Cuckoo Cuckoo

Old 04-07-2003, 10:50 PM   #35
tucker342
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by TroyF

Furthermore, the Big East conference was clearly underrated this year. 4 teams in the sweet 16, the final two NIT teams, and a team in the championship game. Clearly a very underrated conference this year.

TroyF

I agree with you on that one. The Big East did awesome in the tournament this year.
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 11:23 PM   #36
Airhog
Captain Obvious

My honest opinion is this. Run the NCAA tourney 6 different times, and you will get 6 different winners. Oklahoma was a good team, and they played bad in one game. the same can be said for probably 25 of the teams in the tournament. If they got on a hot streak, they would be in the national title game.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 08:10 AM   #37
Samdari
Roster Filler

Hmm, funny how OU fans were not complaining about playing the first two rounds of the tourney 20 miles from their campus. Albany is 156 miles from Syracuse. How far away does a team need to be from campus before it is not considered a home game?

A team has to be very good (which SU is) and lucky (which SU also was) to win the title. Part of that luck is where the tourney sites are scheduled. Kentucky had the misfortune of being the best team in the country in a year when all the regionals were over 100 miles away.

And as badly as they played against SU, Oklahoma would have lost on ANY court, to just about ANY team in the tourney. They were that bad.

Oh, and SU had their two most important players injured for last night's game, and they managed to overcome it.
Old 04-08-2003, 09:33 AM   #38
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Senator
Cuckoo Cuckoo

There's no need for all this name-calling.
Old 04-08-2003, 10:42 AM   #39
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Samdari,

Like it or not, Syracuse played the Sooners at a disadvantage. I'm not saying Oklahoma would have won, but that it would have been a closer game. Doesn't really matter though because Syracuse are champs.

As for Syracuse playing at home...like you said, they got lucky with a great draw. Not as lucky as Texas' draw, but still a nice draw none the less. Plus don't feel sorry for the Sooners they had an advantage in the first two rounds playing in OKC. You won't hear me crying about Syracuse as champs. They beat some great teams on the way to the championship unlike a certain Longhorns team. Plus I've got all the respect in the world for the job Boeheim did this season.

The only point I was trying to make was that OU and Syracuse would have been a great game similar to the KU - Syracuse game rather than the blowout that occurred.
Old 04-08-2003, 12:18 PM   #40
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

I agree with Samdari. Oklahoma didn't lose because of the home court advantage, they got outplayed badly by the Syracuse. They could not get anything going against the very talented 2-3 zone defense. I don't care where that game was player, Syracuse smoked Oklahoma.
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 12:52 PM   #41
bigdawg2003
High School Varsity

Anybody think Carmelo Anthony will encourage more elite high schoolers to spend a year or so in college? Think about it; they see that this great freshman leads his school to a national championship and raises his draft stock, which means more money. I think Dean Smith got it right. You should only forego college or remaining eligibility if you are a guaranteed lottery pick.