Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-05-2005, 07:15 AM   #1
condors
College Starter

Starters Orders 2 announced

didn't see a thread for this and i know there are people interested in a good horse racing sim

Starters Orders 2 due for release early November!

Strategic Designs Ltd., announces Starters Orders 2. Starters Orders 2 builds on the acclaimed John McCriricks Starters Orders and Starters Orders Pro with many new features and improved graphics.

Just a few of the new features in Starters Orders 2:

* Improved interface and menu screens *
* Breeding Barn *
* Improved AI throughout *
* Improved formbook with around eight years of results and replays and fifty years of feature race results *
* Full horse lineage details for player bred horses *
* Dynamic betting. Odds are affected by game events *
* Ante-post betting for feature races *
* Accumulator bets *
* Daily news reports of game world events *
* races now up to 2m4f (4000m) with classic staying races such as the Ascot gold cup *
* Over 20 new world-wide feature races added including the Sydney cup, Irish 2000gns etc. *
* End of season awards for top sprinters, stayers, trainers and jockeys *
* Improved race sequence *
* Horse temperament and paddock indicators *
* now over 10 000 horses and updated jockeys and trainers *
* Improved construction kit (league related) features *

And many more... Go here for the latest detailed list and screenshots: http://www.strategicdesigns.co.uk/so2.htm.

Starters Orders 2 is expected early November and will be available online only for £19.99 or equivelent in US dollars. Owners of Starters Orders 2 are expected to be entitled to a rebate against the new game (details to be announced). Check the website in November for release information: http://www.startersorders.com.

Starters Orders is a Strategic Designs Ltd., production. We have a stringent Anti-spam policy. You are on this mailing list because you purchased the original Starters Orders game. We guarantee never to give away or sell you email address and only to use your email address to notify you of any Starters Orders related news. To remove yourself from this list reply to this email with 'REMOVE' in the subject line and you will immediately be removed.

condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 07:40 AM   #2
Capital
High School Varsity

Interesting news...thanks for posting
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 09:21 AM   #3
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by condors
* Dynamic betting. Odds are affected by game events *
* Ante-post betting for feature races *
* Accumulator bets *
Is the betting portion of horse racing sims all that important? If I were to play a horse racing sim, the focus would be on acquiring and developing horses, rather than placing bets. Or am I mistaking this game for an owner/trainer sim when it's just a massive betting simulator?
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 09:23 AM   #4
Izulde
Head Coach

Most owner/trainer sims also have a betting side to it in horse racing sims.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 09:26 AM   #5
QuikSand
lolzcat

I am intrigued... but honestly can't remember the original game all that well. I know I bought it, and I know it didn't stay on my computer for very long... but I honestly don't recall what about it put me off.

The description above sounds pretty good... but this isn't the first time I have said that about a pending horseracing sim. If this game disappoints, it will join a pretty long list.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 09:29 AM   #6
QuikSand
lolzcat

One note - from the link (and description) it's pretty clear that this is, at its core, a European racing simulation. I don't know if it includes the North American races like the Triple Crown for thre year olds and the Breeders' Cup... but that looks like, if anything, a fairly minor part of the game. If the game environment works well, that doesn't bother me too much... but for those who want to play essentially a "Race for the Derby" game, that might prove disappointing.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 11:21 PM   #7
PineTar
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
One note - from the link (and description) it's pretty clear that this is, at its core, a European racing simulation. I don't know if it includes the North American races like the Triple Crown for thre year olds and the Breeders' Cup... but that looks like, if anything, a fairly minor part of the game.

From the SO website's FAQ section...

Quote:
Originally Posted by the SO FAQ
Is this game based on UK racing only?
The core of the race calendar is UK based. There is an option to choose between Furlongs/Fraction odds (UK) and Meters/Decimal odds for those unfamiliar with UK fraction odds and furlongs. There are a number of showcase races throughout the game at racecourses in Australia, USA, France, Canada, Japan, UAE and Germany.

I will add that in kicking the SO Pro demo around for the last 30 minutes that the entirety of the North American experience comes down to the Arlington Million, a Canadian Int'l Race at Woodbine and the Breeders Cup. That's it. Also in viewing the SO2 preview, I don't see any mention of expanded N. American racing, so assume its the same for the new game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the SO FAQ
I live in X country. Will you be creating a version specific to my country?
Starters Orders has been designed to appeal to a worldwide racing audience. However, there are currently plans to look into releasing Add-ons for specific countries. At the moment only the USA and Australia are being considered. There is no current release date for these add-ons.

I'd assume that if it didn't make it into SO2, it's going to be a while before this comes to fruition (if it ever does).

Last edited by PineTar : 10-05-2005 at 11:22 PM.
PineTar is offline   Reply With Quote