Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-07-2003, 12:33 PM   #1
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Bulls GM Krause Resigns.

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2003/0407/1535067.html

As a Bulls fan I don't know what to think. As much as we love to hate the guy, I think in the end he's shown that he can be a very capable GM. While unpopular, I think that Brand for Chandler trade was the right way to go and then we can't forget the trade with the Cavaliers from a few years back involving swapping PG Jamal Crawford for C Chris Mihm. Crawford has shown flashes of stardom this year and I think that in 2-3 years the Eddy Curry and Tyson Chandler combo will be lethal in the East.

I'm not exactly sure who is going to replace him. I heard they were grooming BJ Armstrong for the job but I don't know if he has enough experience yet. Things just got really interesting in Chicago.

Neuqua
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?

Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 12:41 PM   #2
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Interesting... After all this time, they finally run "Tubby" out of town.

I sure do hope the Curry/Chandler Duo eventually pays off. I know they're still very young, but doesn't it seem like we've been waiting for years for these two? It really may not be much longer until this team is a competitive Playoff Team.. Be thankful they play in the East though..
Old 04-07-2003, 02:08 PM   #3
korme
Go Reds

holy shit... This is bigger news than freaking 2 replies!! Krause is a bastard.. I can't believe he resigned.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 02:11 PM   #4
RonnieDobbs
High School JV

I'm a Bulls fan, and yeah, he did some things right, but with Jordan how many things do you really have to get right? He was an ass. I won' t miss him.

Proud Manager of the BOSTON WYCKYD SCEPTRE
Also attempting to Right The Ship with the Clippers
RonnieDobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 02:33 PM   #5
astralhaze
College Prospect

Wow. This is surprising mostly because there is no way that Krause gets another job except possibly as an "advisor".
Old 04-07-2003, 02:45 PM   #6
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

While I'm not saying he didn't make mistakes I still think that in the past 20 years, he's been one of the 4 or 5 best GMs in the game.

He was not media friendly, we all know that, and he's had a bad reputation to the public because of it. I don't think that just because he had Jordan he didn't have to put a team around him. I mean look at both of our championship eras. Both teams were built PERFECTLY around MJ. Every single player on the team had a specific role and together they assembled the greatest team in league history.

I'm very saddened to see JK go. I'm afraid I don't trust anyone else.

Neuqua
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Old 04-07-2003, 07:23 PM   #7
tucker342
Pro Starter

I don't really like the Bulls, but it's about damn time they got that idiot out of there
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 11:00 PM   #8
Bishop
Mascot

Quote:
Originally posted by Neuqua
While I'm not saying he didn't make mistakes I still think that in the past 20 years, he's been one of the 4 or 5 best GMs in the game.

That's a bit thick.

He struck gold with MJ and just surrounded him with some average talent...

He didn't even select MJ.
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 12:43 AM   #9
astralhaze
College Prospect

He traded for Pippen and drafted Grant. Not exactly average talent.
Old 04-08-2003, 01:43 AM   #10
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I disagree.

Yes, Michael Jordan is the greatest player to ever play the game, but the team around him was built perfectly around him. Krause traded for Scottie Pippen when Pippen was an unknown. He then went ahead and drafted Horace Grant. He got 2/3rds of our front court in one draft.

Later he traded Charles Oakley for Bill Cartwright, who he felt would be the final piece to the puzzle, turns out he was right. John Paxson, Scott Williams, BJ Armstrong, they were all great role players who fed off of Michael.

Even on the second dynasty, Krause took a risk and traded C Will Perdue for Dennis Rodman. That was one of the best moves in NBA history and we won another 3 championships. He signed Steve Kerr, Jud Buechler, Luc Longley and all 3 of them turned out to be valuable role players on our teams.

Even the most recent incarnation of the Bulls oozes to be something special. The Eddy and Tyson pairing is potentially dominant. Especially after the all-star break, both of these players have really turned the corner. I'm going out on the limb and saying EC is one of the top 3 centers in the East already and he's only 20 years old.

Jamal Crawford for Chris Mihm was questioned by most scouts, but Jamal's shown all star potential since the trade deadline. While everyone wanted to get rid of Marcus Fizer late last year and early this season, Krause refused. Turns out, if Fizer hadn't been injured he would've gotten many 6th man of the year votes.

I'm not saying he's perfect by any means. No GM doesn't miss with some players. But for all the flak that Krause has taken over the past dozen years, I really think he was one of the best GMs in the NBA.

Neuq
Old 04-08-2003, 09:18 AM   #11
Aylmar
High School Varsity

Rodman was "average" talent? The guy only won Defensive Player of the Year twice and led the NBA in rebounds for seven straight seasons (three of which were championship years in Chicago).
Old 04-08-2003, 09:51 AM   #12
Daimyo
College Starter

Krause may have had an eye for talent (I don't think he did, but I won't argue that point), but his attitude was all wrong for being a GM. No matter what he may of thought of himself you don't publicly say "players don't win championships, organizations do"... you don't run the greatest player of his generation out of town. If you do those things, no self-respecting free agent will ever want to come play for you. Getting rid of Krause may be the best thing to happen to the Bulls in several years... now they may actually have a shot at bringing in some veteran talent to augment the young core they've built.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 10:51 AM   #13
Aylmar
High School Varsity

Well, fair or not, Jordan should share in some of the blame for that scenario. "I'll only play for Jackson. Phil leaves...I leave." What were the Jerrys supposed to do, lock Jackson up and force him to come back for another year? It was obvious after the sixth title that Jackson was done. Jordan backed management into a corner.

I'm not a Krause apologist. I just think that Jordan deserves to shoulder his share of the blame for the demise of the Bulls.